Deep Discount DVD - Buy 1, Get 1 Criterion Sale!

joeyatog

CAGiversary!
Feedback
17 (100%)
Buy 1 movie from the select list of titles below and receive 1 of equal or lesser value free. When purchasing multiple movies you will be charged for the higher priced items and those of equal or lesser value will be at no charge. Cannot be combined with any other offers. Prices are subject to change. Offer Ends 7/29/08 at 11:59pm CST
Don’t see your discount? Type in promotion code : B1G1CRITE0807 at checkout

http://www.deepdiscount.com/DVD---HBO-Comedy-Sale_stcVVcatId476505VVviewcat.htm

I know that URL looks weird, but it seriously links to a Criterion Sale!

[quote name='equest943']Does anyone know if the Brazil 3 disc is better than the new one?[/QUOTE]
The old 3-disc in non-anamorphic. I don't know if they updated it or something.

The only difference between the old 3 Disc set of Brazil and the new one is that Disc 1 is anamorphic on the new set. If you already own the old 3 Disc set, you can just buy the single disc edition and swap the 1st disc.

Thanks for posting this. I've wanted the TRAFFIC CC for ages. Just ordered that and DAZED & CONFUSED for about $33 total! Traffic is OOS, but hopefully they'll get more.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Anyway, why Le Trou? And could you post your dvd collection/link just to see what other Criterions you'd recommend, or just post which ones you think are worth owning. I already own most of the Kurosawas (might get the couple I missing during this sale), Man Bite Dogs, the Hitchcock films, etc.[/QUOTE]
munch recommended Le Trou to me, because we both love film-noir -- I've also been meaning to check out a Jacques Becker film, so now is the time.

Oh, and I really enjoy prison films, so...

If I order any other films before the end of this sale, I'll probably get Touchez pas au grisbi, which is another Becker film.

Here are the Criterion Collection DVDs I own:
http://www.dvdaf.com/search.html?pub=The+Criterion+Collection&where=brax0r

[quote name='Brak']munch recommended Le Trou to me, because we both love film-noir -- I've also been meaning to check out a Jacques Becker film, so now is the time.

Oh, and I really enjoy prison films, so...

If I order any other films before the end of this sale, I'll probably get Touchez pas au grisbi, which is another Becker film.

Here are the Criterion Collection DVDs I own:
http://www.dvdaf.com/search.html?pub=The+Criterion+Collection&where=brax0r[/quote]

Here's my collection as promised:

http://hiccupleftovers.dvdaf.com/owned/criterion-collection

It isn't complete, mind you, as I haven't updated my DVDAF in ages (probably since they switched the site to V 2.0). I probably should, as there doesn't look to be any other good replacement and I don't feel like doing it all over again. It's missing some recent items like the Tati films (with the exception of Trafic which I'll order during this sale) and Kind Hearts and Coronets.

Also, I don't know if I'm not looking in the right place again - like I did with La Haine - but why isn't Trafic (Tati film) and Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie not on the list or not working with the code?

I was hoping to find this sale not going on so I wouldn't make an order, but it looks like it's going on until the 29th. That sucks for my wallet.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']
Also, I don't know if I'm not looking in the right place again - like I did with La Haine - but why isn't Trafic (Tati film) and Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie not on the list or not working with the code?[/quote]

Anyone know?

Just ordered The Red Balloon, Night and Fog, Touchez pas au grisbi and Blast of Silence.

That's about it, for me.
[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Anyone know?[/QUOTE]
The sale is for "select Criterion Collection DVDs".

Night and Fog is brilliant Brak. You won't regret it. The juxtaposition in that film is breathtaking. (I think that's the most pretentious thing I've ever written).

I ordered Touchez Pas au Grisbi during the 20% off sale. I can't wait to watch it.

[quote name='Brak']Just ordered The Red Balloon, Night and Fog, Touchez pas au grisbi and Blast of Silence.

That's about it, for me.

The sale is for "select Criterion Collection DVDs".[/quote]

Right...makes sense. Still, I would have thought the the Bunuel films were out long enough to be apart of the sale.

Night and Fog is one of the most emotional films I've ever seen. It's probably up there with Schindler's List. Some of the stuff in it is so poignant, especially since I've heard horror stories from family members who either lived through the holocaust or of those who died in gas chambers or were found out in secret hiding rooms.

Despite being released from my current gig (the entertainment biz is always short-term on the whole), I couldn't pass up buying Bicycle Thieves (I'm not getting into that Thief/Thieves debate again :roll:) and Kurosawa's Red Beard, in addition to two seasons of Harvey Birdman for $9+change apiece.
Regular price total: $120

Grand total after discounts and B1G1:
$51.54

More than 50% off is always a sweet deal.

...the only drawback is they're all on backorder. Oh well.

Great deal, but one problem... Most of them are out of stock? I was interested in buying some, but the 5 I tried are out of stock. Should I order them anyway? Or is this deal going to run out by the time they get some more (which might take forever btw) and get fucked by paying for both movies full price?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='zizou21']Great deal, but one problem... Most of them are out of stock? I was interested in buying some, but the 5 I tried are out of stock. Should I order them anyway? Or is this deal going to run out by the time they get some more (which might take forever btw) and get fucked by paying for both movies full price?[/QUOTE]

I'd order them now to make sure you get to use the coupon which expires in a few days. Deep Discount will send you the DVDs as soon as they get back in stock, which is usually within 7-10 days.

[quote name='erectiontown']it's nice to see some people with film knowledge here... cheers, fellas. my naked lunch and days of heaven backordered dvds shipped today[/quote]

Days of Heaven was the last Criterion I picked up (actually, a Christmas gift). Love that one. Malick's best, IMO, and some of the most gorgeous cinematography every put to film.

Normally, this sale would rape my wallet, but knowing Criterion will be entering the BluRay arena in just a couple months is giving me pause. I don't even have a BluRay player yet, but knowing Criterions will soon be available in the format is sure making me want one.

That said, I'm sure I'll be picking a few things up in this sale. Right now I'm deciding between two pairs of films or three.

Pair 1: "The Red Balloon" and "Paddle to the Sea"

Pair 2: "The Thief of Bagdad" (fond memories of watching this with my Dad when I was a kid) with "La Jetee/Sans Soleil" (never seen either but have heard great things) or "Robinson Crusoe on Mars" (another one I remember seeing on late night TV when I was young).

Possible pair 3: "Playtime" and "Red Shoes" (just seems like these will get quick BluRay releases)

Wishful thinking pairs that will not happen:

"Battle for Algiers" and "Spartacus" (worth waiting for in BluRay ... you know they won't wait long as long as there are no rights disputes).

"Yojimbo/Sanjuro" box (I have the old versions) and "Postwar Kurosawa" box (mildly interested, but there are a slew of other Kurosawa discs I'd rather have first).

So you guys mention Criterion will be supporting Blu-Ray, but in the instance of the Kurosawa films Rashomon and Seven Samurai, is there any way they could improve the picture quality enough for me to hold off on getting those two now on DVD? I just can't imagine a huge jump in picture quality with those two with Blu-Ray.

Man, I really want to get In the Mood for Love and La Haine (Hate), but with what that guy is saying about Blu-ray I don't know what to do!!!

Why wait for Blu Ray, most of these wont be this cheap even on Blu for years, plus they only have a handful of titles at launch and it will probably take many more years to get some of them out

Had 5 orders so far:

1st week

Le Samourai
Sword of doom
Fires on the Plain
Burmese Harp

House of Games
Ikiru
Kagemusha
The Third Man

Cassavetes Box Set
Rebel Samurai Box Set

This Week

Vanishing
Patriotism

Mishima
In The Mood for Love
La Haine
8 1/2

Contemplating 1-2 more orders :/

[quote name='SteveMcQ']So you guys mention Criterion will be supporting Blu-Ray, but in the instance of the Kurosawa films Rashomon and Seven Samurai, is there any way they could improve the picture quality enough for me to hold off on getting those two now on DVD? I just can't imagine a huge jump in picture quality with those two with Blu-Ray.[/quote]

Well, technically, film is "infinite resolution," so a new HD transfer of the film could offer noticeable improvements over the 480p resolution of DVD. Nevertheless, while it's likely that these two will be among the first Criterion catalog titles to get the BluRay treatment, I would still go ahead and bite now. There has never been a sale like this, and who knows if there will be again?

Thinking about double-dipping, let's look at this conundrum from the last generation: MANY Criterion laserdiscs never made the transition to DVD. Rights issues, changing priorities, and budget restraints mean many current Criterion DVDs will not be a part of the BluRay generation. And even if you do end up in the position of owning the DVD and seeing a BluRay version released, you'll still have an excellent quality disc in your possession. And if it's a film you really love, you probably won't mind upgrading anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='SteveMcQ']So you guys mention Criterion will be supporting Blu-Ray, but in the instance of the Kurosawa films Rashomon and Seven Samurai, is there any way they could improve the picture quality enough for me to hold off on getting those two now on DVD? I just can't imagine a huge jump in picture quality with those two with Blu-Ray.[/QUOTE]

I have seen an HD TV broadcast of Seven Samurai and it looked stunning! And that was on Satellite TV! A noticeable difference compared to this current Criterion DVD. So it is very possible that older movies can, and will, look better on BluRay.

That being said, the DVD still looks amazing...and we don't really know which movies are going to get the BluRay treatment. Kurosawa flicks will probably make the cut, so you may have a tough decision on your hands.

[quote name='Tybee']Well, technically, film is "infinite resolution," so a new HD transfer of the film could offer noticeable improvements over the 480p resolution of DVD. Nevertheless, while it's likely that these two will be among the first Criterion catalog titles to get the BluRay treatment, I would still go ahead and bite now. There has never been a sale like this, and who knows if there will be again?

Thinking about double-dipping, let's look at this conundrum from the last generation: MANY Criterion laserdiscs never made the transition to DVD. Rights issues, changing priorities, and budget restraints mean many current Criterion DVDs will not be a part of the BluRay generation. And even if you do end up in the position of owning the DVD and seeing a BluRay version released, you'll still have an excellent quality disc in your possession. And if it's a film you really love, you probably won't mind upgrading anyway.[/quote]

Yes, as a proud owner (still) of Criterion laserdiscs of titles such as Pulp Fiction, Trainspotting, Raging Bull, Taxi Driver, Polyester, Pink Flamingos, Replusion, Vivre Sa Vie, Boogie Nights, The Princess Bride, etc., I would vote for buy the titles you want now, because there's not necessarily that great a chance that they will be released as Blu-Rays in the future.

I'm thinking of one order of:

La Haine (Hate)
Band of Outsiders

for sure.

Then I'm contemplating a combo of:

Mr Arkadin
Young Mr Lincoln
Alphaville (probably for sure, just need to find something match up with it)
Brief Encounter
Black Orpheus (just saw this one recently, just not sure how soon I'd want to see it again....also loved it)
Japanese Hell (Jigoku) - any good guys?
Ikiru (One of the few Kurosawas I still need to get)
Harakiri - (Any good?)
Night and the City
Naked City (saw part of it the other day on TCM and loved it, sadly, missed the rest of it).

Also, for those that have seen it, what did you think of Godard's Breathless? So far I have loved all of his work I've seen, so I'm sure I'd enjoy this one, but what do you guys think of it.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Also, for those that have seen it, what did you think of Godard's Breathless? So far I have loved all of his work I've seen, so I'm sure I'd enjoy this one, but what do you guys think of it.[/quote]

How have you seen other Godard, but not Breathless? Breathless is almost always the first Godard film people see. Seems weird.

Yeah, it's great. My favorite Godard is probably Contempt, then Vivre Sa Vie, then Breathless. I'm a huge fan, and have seen pretty much everything he's ever done, including the experimental video shorts from the late 80s/early 90s.

I ordered Night & the City and Bicycle Thieves. I'm still trying to work up some funds to get a couple of boxsets.

First three orders in today, will probably put it one more before Tuesday.

The Red Balloon + Paddle to the Sea = $12.11
The Thief of Bagdad + Robinson Crusoe on Mars = $32.39
Angel At My Table + 49th Parallel = $32.39

[quote name='sirhansirhan']How have you seen other Godard, but not Breathless? Breathless is almost always the first Godard film people see. Seems weird.

Yeah, it's great. My favorite Godard is probably Contempt, then Vivre Sa Vie, then Breathless. I'm a huge fan, and have seen pretty much everything he's ever done, including the experimental video shorts from the late 80s/early 90s.[/quote]

I don't know, I guess I'm just weird. I actually saw Band of Outsiders first.

As expected, added one more order with "Night on Earth" (LOVE Jarmusch) and Playtime (blind buy).

So is the sale over now, or does it end at midnight?

Picked up some Kurosawa's I've been meaning to pick up.

Rashomon
Drunken Angel
Ikiru
Thief of Bagdad

For girlfriend:

Koko
Black Orpheus

Debating on purchasing these today since I already paid my credit card and kind of dont want to see anything in the statemetn for awhile. Trying to convice my wife to get it since we mostly see movies at home.

Ballad of a Soldier wtih hoop dreams

and

Battle of Algiers with Mr. Arkadin

Damn this sale... The minutes were ticking down and I couldn't let it go without going to the well one more time (and had to get some Kurosawa).

Rashomon
The Two of Us (blind buy)

I picked 4 more up bringing my total to 10 (2 of which are for the girlfriend).

Mishima: 4 Chapters
Le Samourai
Band of Outsiders
Le Haine

[quote name='Gorge']I picked 4 more up bringing my total to 10 (2 of which are for the girlfriend).

Mishima: 4 Chapters
Le Samourai
Band of Outsiders
Le Haine[/quote]

Yeah, I ended up with 10 total as well (though two were those $12 kid's titles). And a couple of my selections, while not chosen BY my wife, were definitely chosen with her in mind so as to minimize the criticism of my ever-growing collection. ;)

How long does this sale go on for?

I wanted to get Seven Samurai, but seeing a forty dollar price tag has turned me off quite a bit.

[quote name='CD_Dan']How long does this sale go on for?

I wanted to get Seven Samurai, but seeing a forty dollar price tag has turned me off quite a bit.[/quote]It's over already. Last night was the 29th.

I got 14, but what a sale. It was fantastic. Nothing like $12 Criterions. I hope they do it again, but this time include the Bunuel items and Bob le Flambeur. Otherwise, I'm pretty much set with Criterions, or at least the must own Criterions to me.

How long has the backorder taken with this sale? I've only got like 10-11 days before I must be somewhere else....so I'd really appreciate to know.

I only ordered 3, but that was as much as I could afford. I really regret not sending the ones back from the 20% off sale, since I could have gotten those same ones plus another. Oh well, this one kicked major ass.

[quote name='munch']I only ordered 3, but that was as much as I could afford. I really regret not sending the ones back from the 20% off sale, since I could have gotten those same ones plus another. Oh well, this one kicked major ass.[/quote]

Why only 3? You'd need to order 4 to get the deal proper.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']How long has the backorder taken with this sale? I've only got like 10-11 days before I must be somewhere else....so I'd really appreciate to know.[/quote]mine were backordered for about a week and a half or so before they shipped

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Why only 3? You'd need to order 4 to get the deal proper.[/quote]

As he says above, he split an order of two Monsters and Madmen boxes with another CAG.

These are all of the Criterion DVDs I've ordered in the past month, or so, from the 20% off, the B1G1 and (the last two) from the SecondSpin sale:

- Rififi
- Brute Force
- Thieves' Highway
- Night and the City
- Naked City
- Ace in the Hole
- The Third Man
- Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters
- Army of Shadows
- Le Trou
- Man Bites Dog
- The Red Balloon