Defense Grid: The Awakening - $5 on Steam until May 13 - 75% off!

CoffeeEdge

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)

- Reviews - 82% on Metacritic
- Demo
- Buy it on Steam here

It's not even the weekend yet (and I'm sure there'll be yet another sale on Friday), and Steam is here yet again to take more of your money, with yet another awesome sale.

From indie developer Hidden Path, Defense Grid: The Awakening is tower defense game with real production values, featuring excellent 3D graphics, really fun and highly-accessable TD gameplay, and, believe it or not, a really interesting plot, presented through excellent writing and voice acting. Steam Achievements fans, it includes plenty of those too. It's one of my favorite games in the genre, and highly personally reccomended, by yours truly.

It's only available through digital distribution, and normally, it sells for $19.99. It's been on sale for $9.99 before, and I thought that that was a pretty good deal right there. For $5 even, it's an absolute steal.

This totally makes up for last week's totally boring weekend sale (40% off HAWX). And it's only Wednesday! Can't wait till Friday, to see what the weekend deal is this time. Steam and their partners just keep knocking 'em out of the park with these incredible weekend sales, week after week after week.

Last edited by a moderator:
I played and completed the demo in an hour and felt like I had enough of Defense Grid. Not that it's bad but I didn't feel the need to continue. Time to try Plants vs. Zombies soon...

Have both, played the first 6 levels of Defense Grid and I'm 4-10 in PvZ. First of all from what I can tell DG is a better game. Then if you factor in it is half the price of PvZ it is a no brainer from what I can tell so far. So far the comparison I would use is DG is like SFII and PvZ is like Mortal Kombat in the way both were great games, but DG is really deeper than the PvZ. If DTDs (desktop tow defense) games are not your favorite you would probably like PvZ more, but if you obsessed over PJM like I did and opened all the areas then I would go with Defense Grid first, then pick up PvZ if tomorrow is payday. This is only my preference, but I'm sure others might have similar tastes.

Defense Grid is easily the more hardcore of the games, and is deeper than Plants Vs Zombies.

PvZ is more diverse than defense grid, occasionally throwing away resource management for a different gameplay style to break up the monotony.

Both are fantastic games, especially at

I played a bunch last night. I actually wanted to get Gold medals on the missions because they're just that fun. The scoring system is kind of obtuse though.

I just finished the demo of Defense Grid. I'm now downloading the full game - it seems worth $5. Thanks OP!

[quote name='sniping_dreamer']I'm trying the demo first so my $5 won't go to waste.[/QUOTE]

smart CAG here, I did that too, and decided it would've gone to waste =)
I am loving PvZ a lot though.

[quote name='aznguyen316']smart CAG here, I did that too, and decided it would've gone to waste =)
I am loving PvZ a lot though.[/quote]

I bought both this week and I definitely like the charm of PvZ a lot better (PvZ also seems to have a lot more replayability with all the mini games included).

One thing I'll say about Defense Grid though is that oddly it reminds me of the only entertaining scene in the Matrix Revolution :lol:

I'm lovin this game...very addictive. Don't forget to hit backspace when you run out of cores to rewind the clock about 2 minutes.

I just finished the demo, and...hmm.

The first few levels are really fun, but I had to start over from a checkpoint on the last level, and I still feel like I just lucked out a bit. I assume it gets harder still? If so, I probably won't get much more from it than I already got from the demo.

Impressions:
+(production values are nice). Graphics look good. From the screen shots, I wasn't sure, but they're fairly non-cluttered despite being 3D and all fancy. They've at least gone to some lengths to make things identifiable.
+voice work (what there is) is good, as is the music, although it seems to restart every time you pause it.
-the difficulty may be insane, based on the last level of the demo
-it defaulted to 1280x720...ie 720p. I bumped it up to my monitor's native 1280x1024, but noticed that two splash screens were cut off on the side (instead of being letterboxed or whatever). They were "look at these great features if you buy the full game" type splash screens, so it's POSSIBLE there's not anything in the full game that gets messed up with a non 16:9 resolution, but there MIGHT be.
-control's okay, but it's almost impossible to click on an enemy when they're going over a place you can set a tower. It's also annoying how your mouse cursor moves the entire screen. I have a feeling that was done to be "simple" or because that's how the console version will work, but either way it should be separate like 99.9% of games (or at least optionally separate).

Ran between 20-40fps on my Geforce 9650GT (mobile, which is just a fast 8600GT with slow RAM), which was totally playable.

[quote name='Wolfpup']

-it defaulted to 1280x720...ie 720p. I bumped it up to my monitor's native 1280x1024, but noticed that two splash screens were cut off on the side (instead of being letterboxed or whatever). They were "look at these great features if you buy the full game" type splash screens, so it's POSSIBLE there's not anything in the full game that gets messed up with a non 16:9 resolution, but there MIGHT be.[/quote]

I have a non-widescreen monitor and I don't remember having any problems with the full game resolutions, so that might be just a demo problem.

As for the difficulty, I hear ya. I also had trouble with the last level of the demo too. I got it for $10 on a D2D sale anyway, and had no problem with the next few levels ... dunno if they got easier again or if I just got the hang of it. Then it got harder again. Someday I'll go back and give another shot, too many games right now. Still, I don't think I regret the $10. $20 was way too much, but I definitely would not regret $5.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Activation sucks, but for $5... (I'm with the guy who's only bought stuff super cheap from Steam :D )[/QUOTE]

Activation? What are you talking about?

[quote name='qwerty1']i dont think asking for a multiplayer feature is asking for a lot myself.[/QUOTE]
Then you don't understand anything about game development, especially not how complex it can be to implement multiplayer.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Activation? What are you talking about?[/quote]

This is on Steam, which is activation DRM.

Then you don't understand anything about game development, especially not how complex it can be to implement multiplayer.

I'm not really sure what multiplayer would even look like in a game like this, although I guess with a lot of changes you could do something. I wouldn't care about it though...

[quote name='Wolfpup']This is on Steam, which is activation DRM.[/QUOTE]

No. It's on-execution authentication. Not the same thing as activation.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']No. It's on-execution authentication. Not the same thing as activation.[/QUOTE]

It's the same damn thing, whatever you want to euphemistically call it. It has to phone home or you're not installing it (legally that is-obviously thieves aren't stopped by it).

[quote name='Wolfpup']-control's okay, but it's almost impossible to click on an enemy when they're going over a place you can set a tower. It's also annoying how your mouse cursor moves the entire screen. I have a feeling that was done to be "simple" or because that's how the console version will work, but either way it should be separate like 99.9% of games (or at least optionally separate).[/quote]

I was having that problem with selecting the enemy too, but if you right click it will ignore the tower spot and select the enemy. However, the whole screen moving part is true and took some getting used too. Not a game-breaker by any means but it was a strange design choice I thought.

[quote name='bb4lake']I was having that problem with selecting the enemy too, but if you right click it will ignore the tower spot and select the enemy. However, the whole screen moving part is true and took some getting used too. Not a game-breaker by any means but it was a strange design choice I thought.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, and thanks for the info about right clicking! I hadn't figured that out, just that right clicking de-selected stuff.

Another (REALLY) minor complaint-it'll throw up tips on the screen, but it doesn't pause to let me read them, and they disapear too fast. I mean that's really not a big deal, but there's just a handful of nitpicking things in it.

Well...I bought it and Universe at War. I'll probably get stuck on both, but for $5 each I couldn't resist.

Valve has finally figured out a way to get those of us who want to own our games to give them money anyway :D

What's funny is I've never even downloaded the majority of games I've bought from them :lol:

[quote name='Wolfpup']It's the same damn thing, whatever you want to euphemistically call it.[/QUOTE]
No, it's not. Silent executable authentication is not the same thing as activation.

I'm not going to do this argument right now.

Im just glad Valve has found a way to give us painfree DRM. I actually like Steam. I love the features it has so I have no problem at all when buying games on it. Plus who can complain about their sales? Well most of the time their sales are good.

couple things i dont like coming from WC3 TD maps

The orbs [lives] can be chain pulled back by lines of mobs. You kill one carrying a few of your lives and the next wave moves in fast enough to grab them, and theres no way to stop it from leaving.

As far as ive noticed targeting is completely automatic, you cant force attack a specific enemy unit. They seem to target enemies with your orbs first, even if its impossible to kill them, so instead of wearing down the new units they waste their time on the ones they cant kill.

Worth 5 bucks but i like the setup of WC3 TDs much better.

You eventually gain a laser that you can aim, but it takes a long time to charge. I think it's a decent balance. But yeah, this one is more about planning than reacting to threats.

[quote name='qwerty1']couple things i dont like coming from WC3 TD maps

The orbs [lives] can be chain pulled back by lines of mobs. You kill one carrying a few of your lives and the next wave moves in fast enough to grab them, and theres no way to stop it from leaving. [/quote]

I too found this annoying at first but it led me to develop a strategy for it. It seems like common sense but took me quite a few losses before I perfected it. Basically you need to block several paths asap with 2-3 cheap weapons (guns) to limit the enemy's movement, then create a nice long firing squad of lasers, flames, and upgraded cannons on the one remaining path..preferably with a temporal tower to slow them down just as they enter your line of fire. If you set this up fairly close to the entry/exit point, you can nail the enemies coming and going with a barrage of fire. Even if you dont have any defense near the orbs itself, you will still manage to kill almost everything that crosses past your "mousetrap" because they get slowed down and hit hard going both ways.

P.S. Now that I'm addicted to this one, I'm really interested in other good tower defense games. I have never paid attention to the genre before. What are the BEST OF THE BEST? Suggestions?

[quote name='Capitalizt']I too found this annoying at first but it led me to develop a strategy for it. It seems like common sense but took me quite a few losses before I perfected it. Basically you need to block several paths asap with 2-3 cheap weapons (guns) to limit the enemy's movement, then create a nice long firing squad of lasers, flames, and upgraded cannons on the one remaining path..preferably with a temporal tower to slow them down just as they enter your line of fire. If you set this up fairly close to the entry/exit point, you can nail the enemies coming and going with a barrage of fire. Even if you dont have any defense near the orbs itself, you will still manage to kill almost everything that crosses past your "mousetrap" because they get slowed down and hit hard going both ways.

P.S. Now that I'm addicted to this one, I'm really interested in other good tower defense games. I have never paid attention to the genre before. What are the BEST OF THE BEST? Suggestions?[/quote]

well as i've mentioned multiple times now, WC3! I havent played in a long time since i lost my CD key but there was a whole host of maps that were a lot of fun. Not too many made for a single player though, save for the competitive ones, where each player is given a certain amount of lives and the last one standing wins. I suppose you could play that by yourself if you wanted. The best times i had were the Coop maps though. Often times you'd get a flake that would wreck it, but the times you make it to the end or far into a tough map make it more than worth it.

Im not sure if this game allows you to maze later but a number of the WC3 ones require you to maze/path heavily utilizing the towers, you dont just build along a path, but in it.

[quote name='Capitalizt']P.S. Now that I'm addicted to this one, I'm really interested in other good tower defense games. I have never paid attention to the genre before. What are the BEST OF THE BEST? Suggestions?[/QUOTE]

Plants vs Zombies. $10 on Steam. Buy it. Thank me later.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Plants vs Zombies. $10 on Steam. Buy it. Thank me later.[/QUOTE]

Plants vs Zombies is really awesome. Super addicting and really easy to get into.

It's definitely the casual man's tower defense game though. I think i've only had to restart a level once or twice in adventure mode, and i'm pretty sure i'm more than halfway through. But picking out which plants you're going to use before each level does cause you to sit and think for a couple minutes as you debate which ones would be best for that particular level.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Plants vs Zombies. $10 on Steam. Buy it. Thank me later.[/QUOTE]

I will also +1 this post. Sorry to thread jack but I am enjoying this game wayy to much not to have it mentioned again in another tower defense thread.

I bought Defense Grid, and later tried the PvZ demo. gotta admit, the PvZ's gamestyle is different and IMO more fun (to me anyways).

I will get PvZ for sure, but perhaps at a later date. I already have plenty on my plate to clear.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']No, it's not. Silent executable authentication is not the same thing as activation.[/QUOTE]

It's the EXACT SAME THING.

"Activation" is a euphemism for forced registration.

Apparently now that a decent number of people know what "activation" is, SecuSteam marketing departments? have come up with some other euphemism? (Originally said fanbois, and maybe that's the case, but such a meaningless term sounds like the work of a marketing department. Try again, we're not falling for it).

Regardless, it's the same thing, and (not that it matters), Valve's EULA even calls it activation.

Is Plants vs. Zombies easier? I do think I'm going to get stuck on Defense Grid, given I had trouble with the demo. If PvZ was $5 I'd try it out too.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Is Plants vs. Zombies easier? I do think I'm going to get stuck on Defense Grid, given I had trouble with the demo. If PvZ was $5 I'd try it out too.[/QUOTE]

there's a demo for PvZ and yes I would prob say PvZ is easier, I played the demo for DG, and after doing some reading realized DG is not as straight forward. I like the casualness of PvZ and although it is fairly easy there's a bit of strategy and thinking involved. Try it out! You could save the $5 you were going to spend on DG and put it toward PvZ lol

Did anyone bite on that Stalin vs. The Martians deal? Is it really as awful as they say it is?

GameSpot gave it a 1.5, or something, and IGN gave it a 2. :lol:

PvZ is far, far easier than Defense Grid, but carries the implications with it. PvZ is designed more for a "Awesome, let's watch all the zombies die to my impenetrable fortress! Oooh, new plant, one more level..." whereas Defense Grid is designed towards a, "Ok, I have cores here, enemies come from here, let's make sure they can't reach it. Ugh, this enemy is coming up, bolster these defenses...".

PvZ is more casual fun, DG is more strategic fun. I'm not saying casual fun is bad, I love both games. It's just that you need to know what you're looking for in a game.

I purchased both and right now, I am playing Plants Vs. Zombies. I find myself leaning back on my chair watching TV while playing and that the levels are short, so I can alternate between what I am doing easily.

Dang, PvZ is tempting. I had already bought Defense Grid before asking that, but it looks fun/funny. I should have downloaded the demo yesterday.

I wasn't going to bite on Defense Grid, but I'm glad I took your opinions to heart and bought it for $5!

I guess I'll have to check out PvZ also. Even though it sounds unchallenging?

[quote name='Sideswiper']I wasn't going to bite on Defense Grid, but I'm glad I took your opinions to heart and bought it for $5!

I guess I'll have to check out PvZ also. Even though it sounds unchallenging?[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't say it isn't challenging considering there's a survival mode in which you can always do better yet very tough to do very well. My bud has 28hours in on PvZ yet hit 18flags on survival first try consider that to someone else that reached 42flags using a different strategy. So there is a challenge and you can do better if you go in with a good strat.

adventure mode I say isn't the toughest, I've restarted maybe 5x on the 50levels it gives you.. or is it more? anyway yeah. then there's a ton of other little modes and the fact that earning money isn't the easiest thing to do in order to buy upgrades =)

bread's done
Back