Define a backlog?

hosslogan

CAGiversary!
How do you consider a game on backlog? Is it unbeaten, or has it never even been played. I own around 250 games, and I have beaten around 175 of those. Does that mean that my backlog is of 75 games, or just the one's that I have yet to play once. Thanks in advance for clarifying this.:)

I go by games I have't played at all--or have touched and shelved with the intention to go back to.

I keep mine tiny these days as I try not to buy much unless I'm going to play it right now.

Currently I just have 3 games in the backlog not played at all, and nothing really in progress that I haven't beaten.

Fallout 3--got it off Goozex last spring, just haven't had time for an RPG

Shadow Complex & Castle Crashers--bougth them during the XBLA this week (today for the latter).

[quote name='dmaul1114']I go by games I have't played at all--or have touched and shelved with the intention to go back to.[/QUOTE]This is pretty much how I define it, too.

Yeah, I'm really bad about buying games, ( on the cheap ) and never playing them. I have like 35 that I have yet to play once. Usually, if I start a game, I will finish it. There have only been 4 games that I gave up on:
Beowulf - Absolutely garbage
NG2 - Too hard for me
CC3 - Got stuck on a mission, seems nigh impossible to me
Lost Odyssey - Stuck on a boss

Usually difficulty isn't a huge problem, but NG2, CC3, and Lost Odyssey are a little too hard for me. I should have started NG2 on Easy, not normal. I'm stuck like on the 5th chapter. No idea how people beat that on Master Ninja.

It depends on the game.

Some games I buy for multiplayer only, so I figure If I put in at least 10+ hours into at the price of $10 or less (and 20+ hours and so on) I consider it beaten/not neglected and not really part of the backlog.

If It's a game renown for It's single player or has a beefy single player element with some multiplayer then It's a requirement that i must beat the single player to have it taken off the backlog.

I have a stupid amount of games from the NES/Gameboy ERA that I have yet to beat, which is why I'm buying less and less games each year and refuse to buy anymore "classic" systems just because they are cool to have.

Any game I haven't beaten and gotten all the possible story/cutscenes out of I consider to be backlog.

Backlog
For example I beat Jak and Daxter ages ago, but never got all the power cells or w/e the main collector things were, which gives you a secret ending, so I would consider that to be in my backlog.

Not Backlog
I beat Mario 64 ages ago but never got all the stars, however, this only allows you access to Yoshi/the super triple jump thing, and does not add to the story so I do not consider that to be in my backlog.

I know how you feel, man. That's a pretty healthy approach to your gaming. My only problem is sometimes I tend to "rush" through games to beat them, instead of taking my time and enjoying it. However, once I finish a game like Borderlands, Fallout, and Oblivion, I usually do the side quests.

With the exception of COD, Halo, and Gears, I can't play MP. I've always prefered to go it alone. I tryed Tekken, SF4, and MK VS DC, but I got my ass stomped. I'm just pathetic at that genre.

[quote name='crystalklear64']Any game I haven't beaten and gotten all the possible story/cutscenes out of I consider to be backlog.

Backlog
For example I beat Jak and Daxter ages ago, but never got all the power cells or w/e the main collector things were, which gives you a secret ending, so I would consider that to be in my backlog.

Not Backlog
I beat Mario 64 ages ago but never got all the stars, however, this only allows you access to Yoshi/the super triple jump thing, and does not add to the story so I do not consider that to be in my backlog.[/QUOTE]

Wow, if I took it that way I would have very few completed games. Though, to each their own.

I say a game is "in my backlog" if it is a game I have intentions of playing.

There are some games I've played, didn't complete, but don't really want to complete. Games like that I consider "done" and not in my backlog.

Oh another good example. For those who played Mischief Makers, I beat it ages ago but never got all the yellow gems, which plays out an extended ending at the end, so I consider that to be backlog.

[quote name='Salamando3000']I say a game is "in my backlog" if it is a game I have intentions of playing.

There are some games I've played, didn't complete, but don't really want to complete. Games like that I consider "done" and not in my backlog.[/QUOTE]

Good approach

I'm pretty much in the same boat. The only thing different I think I do is play the games in the order I bought them (yeah I'm weird.) If it's a multiple game disc (i.e. the orange box, god of war collection) I will usually just beat the first game and then move it down to the bottom of the pile. Also if a game I beat has DLC I will move it down to the bottom with the intentions of playing the DLC later.

But my new years resolution is to stop buying games. I have over 100 games in there now and I only beat 20 games this year.. So not really a smart decision money wise.

[quote name='hosslogan']So, any game you haven't beaten?[/QUOTE]

Any game that I haven't beaten that I still want to play.

[quote name='Salamando3000']I say a game is "in my backlog" if it is a game I have intentions of playing.

There are some games I've played, didn't complete, but don't really want to complete. Games like that I consider "done" and not in my backlog.[/QUOTE]

That's what I do too. Like on my backlog at backloggery.com, I have PacMan CE labelled as beaten. Techinically there is no way to beat the game, just like there is no way to beat Geometry Wars. But I put it as beaten because I am pretty much done with it

While I intend to play everything I buy, sometimes it just doesn't happen. My backlog is over 50 games just between the PS3 and Wii. I also have a backlog on DS which isn't as big and PS2 stands around 12-15.

Now I could increase that number by quite a lot if I add all the classic stuff I haven't completed or tried. I need to draw the line somewhere so anything from previous gen's that I don't immediately want to play gets added to the collection for later, but isn't included in my total. I don't need to complete a game 100% to check it off either, just as long as I finish the main story or feel I got my money's worth from it and chose to move on. It's a little complicated.

bread's done
Back