Delete me please Mods.

I apologize, I should have checked the last couple of pages.
Assassin's Creed II (U) $8
Grand Theft Auto IV (U)-$3
Borderlands: Zombie Island of Dr. Ned (360) $3 -

(Bundled, All of these come in 2 white clamshell cases with individual cases for the discs, no manuals) ($5 shipped)-$20

1 on the following
Kane & Lynch 2 Bonus Map Pack (PS3)
Battlefield Bad Company 2 VIP code (360)
Splinter Cell: Conviction SC3000 Assault Rifle
Medal of Honor Online Code (360)

Bundled, All of these come in 2 white clamshell cases with individual cases for the discs, no manuals) ($5 shipping!)
Ninja Scroll
Ultimate Avengers
Open Water
Resident Evil
Resident Evil Apocalypse
Night Warriors
Capcom Classics Collection Remixed
Mega Man Powered Up

ONE BUCK

I would like to participate in this lowball. However, I am accessing this site via mobile phone and will not be able to pay or use my desktop until this weekend (when I get a new hard drive). If you are cool with that gimme the word so I can start bidding

Dragon Age: Ultimate Edition - 26.00
Brutal Legend - Xbox 360 - 6.00
NBA Jam - 22.00
Lost Planet 2 - 5.00
PSP Bundle - 22.00
Superbad - 8.00
The Expendables - 10.00

[quote name='adriley313']damn u edwin[/QUOTE]

I love you too adriley :D.

After these lowball and dv8mad's lowball I think I'll be gone for awhile: family + school + work = not much time to spend on CAG.com.

^ Seriously though Edwin, you have to be careful when you outbid people consistently. You never know when you could get a special surprise in a package!

That said...

Dragon Age Ultimate - $28!

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone have any tips on how to limit sniping? I was thinking of giving a time-range in which the lowball will be ended and then randomly stopping it in that range. If there is anything I don't like about lowballs (other than when they are too long!) it's when the people who support them all week get sniped by lurkers at the last minute.

[quote name='dv8mad']^ Seriously though Edwin, you have to be careful when you outbid people consistently. You never know when you could get a special surprise in a package!

That said...

Dragon Age Ultimate - $28![/QUOTE]

I love surprises :D

[quote name='MachineElf']Does that make me dv8mad approved?[/QUOTE]

Well, the fact the MAN himself is bidding on these lowball is a good sign eh? LOL

[quote name='Edwin29']Well, the fact the MAN himself is bidding on these lowball is a good sign eh? LOL[/QUOTE]

Just brushed the dirt of my shoulder and popped my collar...I'm a somebody!

[quote name='MachineElf']Does that make me dv8mad approved?[/QUOTE]

LOL, you met all the mimimum requirements (listing of at least 10 items, CAG only, clear shipping/payment options and the minimum feedback), you just didn't ask. ;)

Everything looks fine to me.

poppin_poster.jpg

[quote name='MachineElf']Does anyone have any tips on how to limit sniping? [/QUOTE]

Eliminate any advantages to sniping, and that's not easy to truly do.

1. Don't end the lowball late at night (for us East coasters). It's the hip thing to do here, but doing so just gives an advantage to the rabid sniper willing to push it to the last second, when he knows others have gone to bed or will be slow to respond. I'm almost 40 with a kid and I can't wait since I've got stuff to do in the morning.

2. Your random end time is a good idea, but I've seen too many lowballs with supposedly random ends that actually end much closer to the end of the end-time range... which again incentivizes snipers.

3. Try giving SERIOUS discounts to early bidders. One approach is to exploit BIG price increments. On CAG I've seen small increments (50 cents) before the last day, and big ones on the last day ($1). To me, this isn't nearly aggressive enough.

I have this idea of the "lightning lowball" that completely turns the auction thing around and gives a huge incentive to bidding early, right after the auction opens. The advantage of bidding early is so big that you actually should advertise before the auction starts to give everyone fair warning. To make it simple to explain, I'll exaggerate the effect and make the minimum bid increment 100% (each bid must be double the previous bid), with $1 minimum. Here goes.

Take item X (Vesperia special edition, say). First bid is $1. Then $2, $4, $8, $16, $32, and then $64. But the next guy would have to pay $128, which is probably too steep. So the FIRST guy to get to $64 has a huge advantage over everyone else, since the next allowable price after that is such a huge jump that it acts as a deterrent to any other bids. It's a kind of race to get to that $64, so people may try to skip those lower bids to get right to that top $64 bid. That's why I call it a lightning lowball, since you have to bid quickly.

I haven't seen this done yet. Maybe no one else thought of it, which I doubt. The big problem is that sellers may think they have to accept a final price less than what the market would otherwise bear. Suppose the true price is $110. Then (almost) no one will pay the $128, but many would pay $64. So the seller may think they're losing $110-64 = $46 due to the big increments.

Of course you don't have to make the bid increments 100%. You could make them 50% or 25%. Maybe make the increments large for cheap items and ramp it down as the price goes up, e.g., 100% below $10, 50% between $10 & $20, 25% for $20+. Using these manipulations, you can trade off the sniping disincentive from the perceived seller loss.

I say perceived here because it may bring in more bidders and be much more exciting to have an auction where you don't have to snipe just to act in your own interest. It becomes worthwhile to watch the auction earlier because you don't want to miss the right increment. Big increments (maybe only 25%) act as a discount for the buyer who wins, so, like every sale, there's an incentive to showing up early. So with more excitement we get more bidders and therefore more sales and revenue.

The need to constantly "bump" your lowball thread will be reduced because all those extra bids will be like bumps. Think of it this way: if all those sniper bids at the end could be distributed throughout the auction time... they're like free bumps. Plus there are bid bumps from people wanting to take advantage of the increment sale effect.

Well, I think it is a bit late to change anything now, but I think next time I am going to make it 2-3 days tops and if you place a winning bid prior to the last day your shipping on that item is free. I like ending it Thursday because I hope it is convenient for those who are paid on Friday. I honestly did not think of the east coast bidders and will take that into consideration when deciding the end time for this. I am a night owl, so, it won't be too early!

Edit: bid on MAD MEN people!

[quote name='thejam']
I have this idea of the "lightning lowball" that completely turns the auction thing around and gives a huge incentive to bidding early, right after the auction opens. The advantage of bidding early is so big that you actually should advertise before the auction starts to give everyone fair warning. To make it simple to explain, I'll exaggerate the effect and make the minimum bid increment 100% (each bid must be double the previous bid), with $1 minimum. Here goes.

Take item X (Vesperia special edition, say). First bid is $1. Then $2, $4, $8, $16, $32, and then $64. But the next guy would have to pay $128, which is probably too steep. So the FIRST guy to get to $64 has a huge advantage over everyone else, since the next allowable price after that is such a huge jump that it acts as a deterrent to any other bids. It's a kind of race to get to that $64, so people may try to skip those lower bids to get right to that top $64 bid. That's why I call it a lightning lowball, since you have to bid quickly.

I haven't seen this done yet. Maybe no one else thought of it, which I doubt. The big problem is that sellers may think they have to accept a final price less than what the market would otherwise bear. Suppose the true price is $110. Then (almost) no one will pay the $128, but many would pay $64. So the seller may think they're losing $110-64 = $46 due to the big increments.

Of course you don't have to make the bid increments 100%. You could make them 50% or 25%. Maybe make the increments large for cheap items and ramp it down as the price goes up, e.g., 100% below $10, 50% between $10 & $20, 25% for $20+. Using these manipulations, you can trade off the sniping disincentive from the perceived seller loss.

I say perceived here because it may bring in more bidders and be much more exciting to have an auction where you don't have to snipe just to act in your own interest. It becomes worthwhile to watch the auction earlier because you don't want to miss the right increment. Big increments (maybe only 25%) act as a discount for the buyer who wins, so, like every sale, there's an incentive to showing up early. So with more excitement we get more bidders and therefore more sales and revenue.

The need to constantly "bump" your lowball thread will be reduced because all those extra bids will be like bumps. Think of it this way: if all those sniper bids at the end could be distributed throughout the auction time... they're like free bumps. Plus there are bid bumps from people wanting to take advantage of the increment sale effect.[/QUOTE]

The biggest issue with the above method is that, while it may be exciting, it is also confusing. Maybe not to you, maybe not to me, but go ahead and enter any lowball and see how many people have trouble even sticking to simple bidding rules such as "only bid in $1 increments" "please do not edit bids" "do not post bids in spoilers" and then the typical "Hey, how does this work?" posts.
I am nearly 100% positive that if you went post by post through every lowball thread in any given week, that you will find all of these issues.

As for the constantly bumping the lowball thread thing. Personally, I only answer questions after it has started. When people consistently post updated to here, updated to here, thanks for your bid, added, edited the op, updated to here... I cringe.
IMO, if you have to do that to keep your thread up, your lowball is too long. I never recommend over a week (Ultimate Lowballs are an exception at 10 days, but that was also 1000+ items each time with three phases ending over three days) and typically go for 5 days if I can.

[quote name='dv8mad']The biggest issue with the above method is that, while it may be exciting, it is also confusing. Maybe not to you, maybe not to me, but go ahead and enter any lowball and see how many people have trouble even sticking to simple bidding rules such as "only bid in $1 increments" "please do not edit bids" "do not post bids in spoilers" and then the typical "Hey, how does this work?" posts.
I am nearly 100% positive that if you went post by post through every lowball thread in any given week, that you will find all of these issues.

As for the constantly bumping the lowball thread thing. Personally, I only answer questions after it has started. When people consistently post updated to here, updated to here, thanks for your bid, added, edited the op, updated to here... I cringe.
IMO, if you have to do that to keep your thread up, your lowball is too long. I never recommend over a week (Ultimate Lowballs are an exception at 10 days, but that was also 1000+ items each time with three phases ending over three days) and typically go for 5 days if I can.[/QUOTE]

I actually agree with this and feel really awkward about bumping the sale (but I do). I was shooting for a 3 day lowball but this is actually 3.5.

bread's done
Back