Dell Reformatting Help

punqsux

CAGiversary!
Feedback
88 (100%)
ok now ive reformatted PCs in the past and never had a problem that took more than a few hours to get past, this has had me stuck for a few days, so lets see if anyone here can figure it out...

ok im using the dell windows reinstall cd, before i install, i delete everything and re-partition the c: drive, the installation always "freezes" with "33 mins left" (ive left it ove for 3 hours and it didnt budge) its not the cd, because i tried installing the winxp that came with my HP and it frooze at the same time.

after it freezes, if i turn off the system, and turn it back on, it continues the install normally, and finishes. now for the hard part!

it only starts up in 16 bit mode. the only res i can use is 640x480. SOMETIMES it tells me to activate windows, i called to do this and it said the code (that windows gave me when it gave me the number to call) was invalid. i have a windows code # wiith my dell but it never asked me for it...

does anyone have any clue!?

If you rebooted after it freezing, it shouldn't have continued the installation. That in and of itself is fishy. If it wasn't for the fact that you managed to eventually get Windows to install and boot, I'd tend to think that your harddrive had a faulty sector, which can sometimes lead to trouble when installing an OS. If that was the case, the simple solution would be to repartition the drive, perhaps by splitting the C drive into two partitions.

[quote name='alongx']If you rebooted after it freezing, it shouldn't have continued the installation. That in and of itself is fishy. If it wasn't for the fact that you managed to eventually get Windows to install and boot, I'd tend to think that your harddrive had a faulty sector, which can sometimes lead to trouble when installing an OS. If that was the case, the simple solution would be to repartition the drive, perhaps by splitting the C drive into two partitions.[/QUOTE]
so split it off to 15 and 15 gigs (30 gig drive) and if it dosent install proper on one, try the other?

[quote name='punqsux']so split it off to 15 and 15 gigs (30 gig drive) and if it dosent install proper on one, try the other?[/QUOTE]

Punq. It may have something to do with what WMP you have. I know it sounds insane but I had the same crap happen to me over and over (at the same 33min mark on a dell) I cant remember the solution I did off the top of my head. Ill see if I can find it.

*Edit* Ok, if you truly formatted it, WMP shouldnt matter. Have you tried a full on FDisk then going after the bastard?

[quote name='supadupacheap']
*Edit* Ok, if you truly formatted it, WMP shouldnt matter. Have you tried a full on FDisk then going after the bastard?[/QUOTE]
formatting through dos? no i havent.

should i?

No big deal man. Im already in your debt so just repaying.

Ok, let me think...

First off, FDisk the whole damn thing. If you have an external drive, take it out and do it in the machine.

Second, redo the whole install from scratch. If it locks up at 33 it *could* be the CD (keep in mind that HP CD is most likely going to bios check. At the same 33% though, strange coincidence)

Third, what kinda dell ya got and what Op sys? I may be able to lend you my disc if yours can pass mine's bios check.

Fourth, have you tried Vodoo and/or chants? Lit any good luck candles? No? Well what are you waiting for? This is a Dell! :p

[quote name='punqsux']formatting through dos? no i havent.

should i?[/QUOTE]

Yeah man, if you ever had Win MP9 on there, blast the shit out of it. That software SO sucked ass. It took me weeks to figure out WTF was the prob (like, how the fuck could I guess it was a WMP issue?)

Kill everything via DOS then try to run windows setup that way. Oh, and answer my last posts questions. :p

I can't think of any advice, but I do have a tool you might be helpful sometime. The Ultimate Boot CD You can boot to the CD and run a large number of diagnostic tools. The full version includes a Knoppix based linux distro that you run from the CD. There is a partioning program in the linux distro called Qtparted.

It's a pretty good tool. I used it to get into my computer when I messed up the boot table and was able to fix it.

[quote name='punqsux']it only starts up in 16 bit mode. the only res i can use is 640x480.[/QUOTE]

Dell puts the device drivers on a seperate cd that should have come with the computer. Took me a while to remember that last time I formatted. That should help but I'd be more worried about the failed installation/resuming thing...not sure I can help you on that, sounds like the other guys have it covered. Like they said, I'd go with a clean install. I format through DOS and then use the Dell Recovery CD.

[quote name='skinsfan56la']It shouldn't be asking for you to activate XP since it is a OEM....[/QUOTE]

M$ changed it so you have to activate even OEM copies now. Punqs is old enough that he should be before that window unless they retroactivily changed it.

bread's done
Back