DELL = Split Second $39.99 360/PS3 $29.99 PC

I'm ALMOST tempted - but the game sucks pretty bad. If they loosened up the controls a bit, it'd be great.. as-is, it feels like I'm driving a tank or something

[quote name='Scorch']I'm ALMOST tempted - but the game sucks pretty bad. If they loosened up the controls a bit, it'd be great.. as-is, it feels like I'm driving a tank or something[/QUOTE]

Assuming you played the demo. I didn't care for it either, but the full game includes over 25 vehicles and 12 levels with branching events totaling 72 track variations. I'm sure the demo isn't representative of the final product. Pure got better as you progressed in the game, no reason to think the developers next effort would be worse.

I'm going to wait for some reviews on this. Though I am very tempted with this price, but like others I was not impressed with the demo.

EDIT- BTW when does dell charge for pre-orders?

Played the demo track about 3-4 times and it was best when I saved up to do the Level 2 powerplays/route changes. Going through the track doing Level 1 powerplays the whole time wasn't really that exciting.

I'm guessing that it'd be a lot better online and with different cars. But I'd still rather rent it through gamefly that put down the $40.

Still a good find though. Thanks OP!

I loved the demo, controls are not nearly up to snuff with a game series like Burnout (Takedown is one of my alltime favorate games period) but the package it's wrapped up in is crazy. It's like Micheal Bay made a racing game.

This is a game for people who love stupid, over-the-top action. I even dig the music in it, but that's just me.

I'm a stupid, over the top action kinda guy so the demo was my speed most definitely. That said, I think this will drop pretty fast and I still have a lot left to play on Burnout Paradise.

I LOVE arcade racers, pretty much hate sims (Forza, GT).
I hated the Burnout Paradise demo, but LOVED the game.
I really liked Pure, which was this studio's previous game.
I like blowing shit up, which S/S has in spades.

I am looking forward to Blur as well.

I think S/S will suck single player, but be cmplete havoc/chaos online.
Imagine 8 people all blowing the level up simultaneously. Insanity.
S/S is already getting good press from people that have seen it in action.

Blur on the other hand is like Mario Kart w/real cars.
It's advantage is 20 player online.
It's disadvantage is tiered leveling, MW style.
That means advanced players will almost always score podiums.
Beginners will find it hard to progress online, as they don't have perks.

Either way $40 for a $60 game on day 1? Can't beat 33% off.
Don't even have to buy something in the future like all the gift card deals.
= Money in the bank.

I think I'll wait as I have ModNation Racers coming in from GoHastings (hope I still get charged just $40) and have Dirt2 and Fuel on Steam, but really need a controller for those.

Split Second may just have to wait for now.

I gotta say with Modnation, S/S, and Blur all dropping within a month, arcade racing fans are sure to go broke or have very tough decisions to make. It would have been nice to spread releases out a little as this genre is under-represented anyway.

At least one of these titles is likely to get lost in the shuffle.
Based on the marketing I've seen so far I'm betting it's Blur.

[quote name='raiser']At least one of these titles is likely to get lost in the shuffle. Based on the marketing I've seen so far I'm betting it's Blur.[/QUOTE]

Really? I was thinking Blur might be the most successful or at least tied with Split/Second. They've had that beta/demo going for a long time and there's a ton of content in it for just a demo. 4 tracks/over 10 cars/ability to level up to 15/etc. It seems like Bizarre cares about getting the online just right before it's released. And it's from the makers of Project Gotham Racing. They've got the track record.

Not saying Split/Second or ModNation Racers are any less than Blur, they all look like fantastic titles. If I were to choose one though, I'd pick Blur.

Thanks op. I for one ordered one as its nice seeing this type of deals for a new yet-to-be-released game at already 2/3s of the initial price. Enjoyed S/S a little more than Blur as I always sucked at Mario kart style of game overall (I can beat the AI, but others are seemingly always ahead or much more lucky than me). Modnation Racers seems good to, but I will wait for a price drop on that as well.

Ooh, nice price, but as with some others I wasn't too impressed with the demo. I can see it being better extrapolating the game in my head, but Blur won me over when their devs said they were going specifically for "an adult mario kart."

Usually I don't mind buying the same genre of game if two big releases (within that genre) are released within the same month, but for some reason I usually break that and pick one over the other when it comes to racing and sports games...

Modnation, Blur, Split/Second...

I want to spend only enough to get two out of the three, and after playing S/S at PAXEast... I'll pass for now. I'll wait for the reviews of Blur and S/S just in case though and pick the better one.

Already pre-ordered Modnation though, even bought extra controllers and waiting for the release date now.

Damn, nice deal... similar to ModNation Racers deal on goHastings. I think I'll wait on this...

Is the demo available on PSN? I haven't checked lately.

[quote name='JaxMoney']Damn, nice deal... similar to ModNation Racers deal on goHastings. I think I'll wait on this...

Is the demo available on PSN? I haven't checked lately.[/QUOTE]

Demo for S/S drops May 11th on PSN. Already up on XBL.
I agree that the demo (BETA) for Blur is slightly better, it's XBL only afaik.

As for marketing, Sony and Disney tend to put some bucks behind their marketing.
Activision? Well we all know what's going on with them lately. Hit or Miss.

I like Bizarre and their previous racing efforts. I like Black Rock and theirs as well.
Modnation is getting good early reviews. Each of these games has pros and cons.
It will be interesting to see which one comes out on top of the Metacritic as well as VGchartz.

I already pre-orderd Blur and S/S from Gamestop.com $49 each w/tax paid w/store credit.
If the reviews come in shitty I can just return them in store.
I will pick up Modnation cheap from a friend that works at SCEA.
Recently got Midnight Club LA Complete too, it kicks ass!
Win-Win-Win.
Race-Race-Race!

I'm sure in 6 months they will be cheaper new and used...
But I'm willing to support this genre so we get MORE!

When's the next Burnout coming?
There hasn't been a "Road Rash" since 1999...
NFS went Sim (Shift)... Can't recall the last time I enjoyed a NFS game :(
WTF EA?

UPDATE: I just read the wiki: Criterion Games, developers of EA's own Burnout series,
is working on a "revolutionary" addition to the Need for Speed franchise scheduled for release in Q4 2010.
Color me excited...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm reminded to download the Blur beta while I still have time, just because.

At least all these arcade racers are different enough from each other, but I find it hard to think anyone would buy all three. That's a loooooot of racing.

Does Dell normally have a lot of game deals?
I notice they are also selling the PSP Go for $170, Black Controllers for $30 and 4000 MS points for $40. Pretty nice.

I absolutely loved the demo. Played it six times in a row and I'm tempted to play it some more. I haven't been as impressed with a racer since Burnout Revenge's demo. I'd jump on this but I already have it preordered for $45 shipped from GS.

Hmmm... This is so tempting. I played the demo (on UK PSN), and it while it was fun, it wasnt $60 fun. But, $40? Hmmm...

not surprised the demo sucked, made me not want to buy the game, but on the other hand the Blur Beta was pretty fun.

Man I really hope amazon price matches this since I already have it preordered there. I can't cancel my preorder since I used my $20 battlefield 2 video game credit on it. I really hate how amazon does their VG credit otherwise I would switch my preorder to blur from amazon and order this from dell. It's going to be a badass month for me either way I suppose.

bread's done
Back