Dementium: The Ward disscusion. OUT NOW !!!

ECW_fan

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I did not see topic on it so I thought I would start one. I have only played it a bit. First off it is gorgeous and the sound is excellent. I have never played a FPS on the DS so the controls to me, are what they should be. Move with the directional pad and aim with the stylus fire with the L button. It seems to be moving fast and not too challenging yet. The back says it's like Doom meets Silent Hill. I would have to agree, It's is Doom set in a Silent Hill environment. And has not real story to fallow like Doom.

I was pretty surprised to see it out in store.I thought it was coming out on the 31 last I heard, but EB had it listed on the 25th for release.

I believe thats how Metroid controlled and it got a lot of complaints from hand crampiness after a while.

This game seems to be going largely unnoticed though.

The controls seem fine to me.

Having the list of weapons at the bottom of the screen is nice just to touch and switch between the flashlight and shotgun/pistol/whatever.

I wish the enemies didn't just dissapear though, I'd like some more blood plz. :]

Other than that, I think its a solid title once you get used to how it controls.

[quote name='Captain Freeze']is there a control option for lefties?[/QUOTE]
Yes there is, it turns the face buttons into the d pad for lefties.

I just ran into the first boss and it is a bit of a challenge. One of the things that is annoying is the when you die at the boss it starts you at the beginning of the chapter which is not that far, but you can save and quit and it will start you closer when you resume.

[quote name='ECW_fan']Yes there is, it turns the face buttons into the d pad for lefties.
[/quote]

cool thanks.

i think im definitely sold then.

I keep wanting reviews on this and Chronis Twin (or whatever that damn game is called) since they both seem largely under-the-radar, but appear to offer some good gamin'.

I imagine dead bodies dissapearing right away is to keep the framerate smooth. Less objects for the game to keep track of and all that.

The game seems interesting, I def want to check out some reviews.

Question for those who have played this. What does the game use the top screen for? I assume the touch screen is your view of the game world, since you aim with the stylus.

[quote name='Puffa469']
Question for those who have played this. What does the game use the top screen for? I assume the touch screen is your view of the game world, since you aim with the stylus.[/quote]looks like the top screen is the world, the bottom screen is health/items etc:

http://media.ds.ign.com/media/891/891770/imgs_1.html

dementium-the-ward--20070920114745711.jpg

[quote name='darthbudge']This game is pure money. Definately if you are the slightest bit interested in it, get it![/QUOTE]

Are you going to?

The touch screen controls your movement, but it seems kinda wonky cause you gotta stay in the top part of the screen, if not you'll be switching weapons and shit over and over and over.

I like it so far. Worth the 16 bucks I paid for it. :p

I just started to play Metroid Hunters (got it on Goozex) and actually I am enjoying it so since this is getting pretty good feedback i will pick it up eventually.

I've been playing it on and off for the past few days.
It's OK but nothing amazing.

The good part is the control. It works pretty smooth. For some reason I can aim better and faster in this than Metroid Hunters. Graphics are decent and the cut scenes are pretty cool. Top notch sound.

The bad part is that it's basically straight forward walking. Every hall looks the same. Closets everywhere with boxes in them. And pretty much only 1 way to go. Fetching is also a pain in the ass seeing as every enemy comes back when a door is gone through.

I'll have to play it some more.

I intend on getting this one as soon as I can, looks awesome and very unique for a DS title - but first, a rant about something you're all probably sick of hearing me complain about.

I don't know why I even bother with EB/GS stores for new releases, especially with all the great deals on CAG in other physical and online retailers.

EB/GS do get new games a lot sooner than the larger stores. Heck, Dementium isn't even available at Target or Best Buy or Fry's in the Bay Area yet. I've been burned a lot on online purchases in the past - for instance, waiting several weeks after a game is released for the shipment to come in. So, stubbornly, I continue to look in actual stores for new releases.

Whenever, I wander into GS/EB seeking a new title, they always have 'just the store copy' left. Every single time.

I refuse - on principle - to pay full price for an opened game, unless it's out of print or rare.

I don't buy 'it's never been bought, therefore it's new.' For me, opened = new. Period. Particularly when the game is being pulled out so the box can sit on the shelf and collect dust. It may sound silly to some of you, cause from a practical standpoint, there's no difference between an opened box and an unopened box (other than that 'new instruction book' smell). So what's the big deal?

How many other stores unwrap and open their new video game merchandise, take out the game, store it, and sell it as new? That's right, not a single one. Fry's does have a habit of re-wrapping returned items and selling them as new, but that's a secret, they do it in secret cause they know it's not good practice.

They did offer to shrink wrap the opened game to 'make it look new.' Nice try.

Games don't play any differently if they've been previously opened. It's just a principle. Don't sell me an opened game for full price and then try to smugly assert that this is a regular practice. It's not a regular practice.

These greed markets are only good for one thing: occassional impulse buys on used games. Their used prices aren't even that great, not CAG great.

Back on topic... I'm glad the developers decided to have the enemies dissapate once destroyed, it probably assisted in keeping the frame rate high. I'm also glad there seems to be a minor puzzle element to the game.

a lot of smaller niche titles don't get picked up by big retailers like targets or BB.

as far as the store copy being "new," it's anything but new. they let the store employees play the "new" games in the back and/or take them home to play.

Wow, my local EB had a used copy out. I was tempted with this weeks "25% off 3 used games" coupon. I may well have to try and get it for 24.99 - 35% w/coupon and Edge card.

[quote name='darthbudge']Hmm I am downloading this right now to see if it is worth a purchase, I will let you all know what I think tommorow.[/quote]
Where are you downloading it? Did Nintendo provide a demo? Or illegal dl? I wanted to buy the game buy Best Buy didn't have it so I'll probably wait until I can actually find it for sale.

Kinda wish they didn't use the Hunters-style controls for this. I'm only in Chapter 3, and so far the game hasn't proved to me that it couldn't have been done with non-stylus controls (for shooting and controlling movement anyway)

Played the first level and I can already tell you that I absolutely love it. The graphics are fantastic, the atmosphere is awesome, and the game is actually a bit scary. The voice saying "This is an emergency, please evacuate the building" reminded me of the automated voice from the first Half-Life. So:

Awesome graphics + awesome gameplay + a tad of nostalgia = me being very happy with this game.

My one and only complaint is that I can't seem to find the "right" way to hold the DS in order use the controls properly.

I've made it as far as the end of Chapter 4, so here are my impressions so far.

This is the first seriously creepy DS game I've played.

The controls are great for a DS game. Framerate never stutters. The use of sound is pitch-perfect and actually useful, such as the creatures' breathing to help you determine how close they are.

It's annoying to have to switch from the flashlight to the weapon, but at the same time, this really adds an element of dimension to the strategy. A lot like Doom 3 in this regard.

The one huge strategy in the game is not wasting ammo, since the creatures re-spawn but ammo does not. Unfortunately, some creatures can only be taken down with ammo, and they will swarm you and kill you if you try to use the baton... so, know where you're going at all times. If you double back too many times, you'll find yourself running through rooms with those leech bastards at your heels, nipping off your energy little by little, while you try to save ammo for the
banshee heads and the big hulking bosses.

No matter where you are in a Chapter, even at the very end... if you die, you must start over from the very beginning, with no progress saved. There is no way around this!

That is my biggest gripe about the game, since there are moments toward the ends of Chapters (particularly 3 and 4) that are seriously challenging if you don't have enough ammo. This game forces you to get really good at memorizing your route and planning and exact way to utilize your weapons so that nothing goes to waste. This is inventory management... the very definition of survival horror. Those typewriters and ribbon from Resident Evil are actually looking pretty good right about now.

[quote name='Starkraving']

Whenever, I wander into GS/EB seeking a new title, they always have 'just the store copy' left. Every single time.

I refuse - on principle - to pay full price for an opened game, unless it's out of print or rare.

[/quote]

I hear you brother. That is why I don't shop there anymore.

I fucking hate those floating head things! They waste so much ammo.
Yeah, it's about five or six bullets for each head. Because of the way they travel (in straight lines, but they come right for you if they see you), there might be a way to bypass them...

IGN's review also mentioned the respawning of enemies but lack of spawning for health or ammo as a problem. It also mentions how the game 'saves' each time you go through a door, but every time you die, you must start from the very beginning of the Chapter. Why does the game bother saving this often if it doesn't truly account for your progress until you complete the Chapter? Because the DS is a portable format, more suited for shorter bursts of gameplay, the lame-brained decision to not allow for mid-chapter save points is totally baffling.

Again, aside from my complaints, this game accomplishes something - in terms of play control and mood - that I didn't think the DS would ever pull off.
Here's to more Dementiums in the future. Dementium: The Carnival, Dementium: The Dementium: The Space Station, and the worst horror imaginable, Dementium: The DMV.

dementium.jpg

bread's done
Back