Demigod $5.99 @ Stardock

Hopefully this sale helps the community, because the last time I tried to play I couldn't get enough random people to get a game going.

Does this use the same style of "DRM" that Sins of a Solar Empire does? Also is the solo/single player worth the $6 if the multiplayer is dried up by the time I get around to it? :lol:

Great game in my opinion, only slightly disappointed with the post release content. No DRM too. If you like DotA, HoN or LoL, you'll probably like the game. However keep in mind it's not nearly as micro intensive. If you've ever wanted to play those 2 games but don't have the speed and dexterity they require, DG is a great game.

Even if you never take it online, it's worth $6 to just try each Demigod in the single player tournaments. You and some friends can play up to 5 bots too. I just gifted it to a couple friends so we can do that.

Game is really great. It just gets a bad wrap for it's horrible release. Things seem to work as they should now and it's good fun. But like all DotA style games, I've heard the community for this one can be intimidating to new players.

Yeah I swear DOTA-style games have the worst communities. They're very unforgiving if you get yourself killed because it gives the enemy lots of XP and currency. If you're not the competitive type (and I'm not) I'd stick to bots and friends.

I think the gameplay mechanics create the hostile environment. A really bad player can swing the match much more than a really good player. That makes for more hostility towards players that are just learning or below average.

It also doesn't help that most players come in looking to be the hero, when in fact you are better off in these games when there isn't a hero.

It is really sad that I have gotten to the point where if it is not on Steam I really do not care. I was going to buy this...then completely lost interest when I realized it was not a steam game.

Honestly Impulse is my preferred digital distribution platform after Steam and a lot of that has to do with Steam's huge inventory and awesome sales.

Impulse is pretty slick. It seems fairly lightweight and unintrusive, and doesn't even have to be running to play your games. I think it blows the doors off competitors like D2D just for the installation process. I like that installing/updating a game is all handled right in Impulse, whereas D2D has you downloading files, then installing, then downloading updates, then installing those... Steam and Impulse nailed it, the others are just a pain.

Just my point of view.

[quote name='Lord_Zath']what are the abbreviations for? Don't know DotA, HoN, LoL...[/QUOTE]

Defense of the Ancients
Heroes of Newerth
League of Legends

DotA is the original WarCraft III mod map and the pioneer of this kind of game. DG, HoN, LoL, and even aspects of games like Monday Night Combat are all followups to that, with their own strengths/weaknesses.

[quote name='deouble9s']Defense of the Ancients
Heroes of Newerth
League of Legends

DotA is the original WarCraft III mod map and the pioneer of this kind of game. DG, HoN, LoL, and even aspects of games like Monday Night Combat are all followups to that, with their own strengths/weaknesses.[/QUOTE]

You know what I always thought was funny... Is that on metacritic, those games score between 76-78. They have these extremely massive followings and yes, they pioneered a new genre, and yet they can still only obtain a C grade. I wonder what an A grade DotA game would be like.... *Dreams*

[quote name='Darknuke']You know what I always thought was funny... Is that on metacritic, those games score between 76-78. They have these extremely massive followings and yes, they pioneered a new genre, and yet they can still only obtain a C grade. I wonder what an A grade DotA game would be like.... *Dreams*[/QUOTE]

Just wait until Valve releases theirs...

how's this compare with LOL? I'd kinda like to try it out, but $6 for something I already essentially getting for free doesn't seem like a good deal

I prefer Demigod because the bots put up a better fight. It's a total non-issue for most people though. There are only 10 Demigods but they're all vastly different and each has its own skill tree, which is more complex than the LoL. But LoL has WAY more heroes and I believe they add new ones pretty frequently.

I have no input on things like balance or how their communities compare, but if you're highly competitive then that's something to consider.

Basically I think Demigod is a steal at $6. Even if you're used to LoL and you end up preferring it, DG is at a price point where it really doesn't hurt to try.

bread's done
Back