Democratic Party image drops to record low

elprincipe

CAGiversary!
Feedback
60 (100%)
http://www.gallup.com/poll/127262/Democratic-Party-Image-Drops-Record-Low.aspx#1

qnxo8d3che-odouutn0qoa.gif

What a difference a health-care disaster makes.

Republican spin probably has more to do with it then any failings of the party itself. That or it shows that people really do think that public health care is as bad as starting two pointless wars.

[quote name='elprincipe']What a difference a health-care disaster makes.[/QUOTE]

Or you know, it could also be about being the dominant party when the economy is doing bad.

[quote name='JolietJake']Republican spin probably has more to do with it then any failings of the party itself. That or it shows that people really do think that public health care is as bad as starting two pointless wars.[/QUOTE]

yeah, democrats had nothing to do with that.

[quote name='cindersphere']Or you know, it could also be about being the dominant party when the economy is doing bad.[/QUOTE]

I would have thought that too, except for that's not what the polling data show. The biggest drop has not been while we were hemorrhaging jobs every month, but just in the past few months, when the health-care atrocity was rammed through. I'm sure many people are (rightly) upset about economic conditions too, but check the numbers.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']yeah, democrats had nothing to do with that.[/QUOTE]
You know the saying about giving someone a length of rope and them hanging you with it? Yeah. I agree that the dem's hands aren't clean, but it's the difference between committing a crime and being an accessory to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='elprincipe']I would have thought that too, except for that's not what the polling data show. The biggest drop has not been while we were hemorrhaging jobs every month, but just in the past few months, when the health-care atrocity was rammed through. I'm sure many people are (rightly) upset about economic conditions too, but check the numbers.[/QUOTE]
The biggest drop was mid to the end of 2008, when unemployment rates were rising by large margins. Seems to match up with the poll.

Doesn't seem to jive with the actual support for the HCRA (which, while at or just above 50%, still ain't *great*).

I'd say it's people who wanted/expected job losses in 2009 to be closer to what the Obama Administration predicted (i.e., lower, to the point of peaking at around 8%), and the expectations that our economy should be adding jobs right now. If HCRA is involved at all, it would be public dissatisfaction with focusing on it instead of jobs bills (which is wrong, since those are in the pipeline/voted on already, I believe) - so not the content or actuality of HCRA, but the public perception that jobs should be the primary focus right now.

I wish I could find a Harris Poll that came out today - Obama approval around 50%, Pelosi around 29%, Reid about 17-19%, but John Boehner at 12%. Can't seem to find it online though.

[quote name='cindersphere']The biggest drop was mid to the end of 2008, when unemployment rates were rising by large margins. Seems to match up with the poll.[/QUOTE]

You're looking at the Republicans. For the Democrats the biggest drop was over the past few months, from 51% to 41%.

[quote name='elprincipe']You're looking at the Republicans. For the Democrats the biggest drop was over the past few months, from 51% to 41%.[/QUOTE]
You're correct, I was looking at the graph incorrectly, I was in the middle of making dinner when I read that.

However, still doesn't change my position entirely. Health care is not the main reason why the democratic party lost so much popular support. There has been other polls that show Democrats are losing a wide margin of support based upon the economy. Also the story did not mention causal forces, only that they are losing support.

[quote name='cindersphere']You're correct, I was looking at the graph incorrectly, I was in the middle of making dinner when I read that.

However, still doesn't change my position entirely. Health care is not the main reason why the democratic party lost so much popular support. There has been other polls that show Democrats are losing a wide margin of support based upon the economy. Also the story did not mention causal forces, only that they are losing support.[/QUOTE]

True, I was theorizing based on the major issue in play between the polling dates. I think I'm on pretty solid ground, however, based on numbers like this:

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/mood_of_america/trust_on_issues

Check the health care numbers compared to earlier polling.

You got other polls that show that elprincipe? I'm curious to see a poll of polls or something to that effect.

EDIT: Yikes. IRS more popular than tea party (FOX News Poll). Bad news teabaggers.

FoxIRS.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, his biggest losses right now are in blue collar workers in the United States, in which he has lost around half of the support he received in these populations. In the end the most important thing to most Americans is the job market, a place the Obama Administrations gains have been small. Health care is important, but as the other poll released by Gallup today indicated, it is no longer the most important.

[quote name='IRHari']You got other polls that show that elprincipe? I'm curious to see a poll of polls or something to that effect.

EDIT: Yikes. IRS more popular than tea party (FOX News Poll). Bad news teabaggers.

FoxIRS.png
[/QUOTE]

I don't have any offhand, but I'm sure you could find others that ask which party people trust more on different issues. I'm rather shocked that the IRS has a 49% favorable rating!

Boehner definitely deserves to be at the bottom of that list. Any list really, unless it's one of those lists for bad things, like who to punch first, then he'd be at the top.

[quote name='IRHari']You got other polls that show that elprincipe? I'm curious to see a poll of polls or something to that effect.

FoxIRS.png
[/QUOTE]

Bad news for democrats, and republicans as well. Alot of them are going to get canned this year anyway.

[quote name='JolietJake']Republican spin probably has more to do with it then any failings of the party itself. That or it shows that people really do think that public health care is as bad as starting two pointless wars.[/QUOTE]

Why does health care have to be compared to the wars? Why is one bad thing justified by another?

[quote name='SpazX']Wow, 51% and 68% of people reserved judgment for pelosi and reid respectively. That is interesting.[/QUOTE]

Based on the number of people that vote though, they are in trouble. I have a feeling the "havent heard enough", and "undecided" are mostly people who don't vote. This was a random number phone poll, so it is not like they just polled voters.

[quote name='SpazX']Wow, 51% and 68% of people reserved judgment for pelosi and reid respectively. That is interesting.[/QUOTE]

Fascist piece of shit wasn't one of the answer's so I picked undecided.

another thing

undecided, Don't know, and haven't heard enough.....................wtf happened to good old polls with 2 fucking answers (yes or no) or in this case (unfavorable/favorable). At the very least make all 3 undecided. I want to know who the fuck picked "Don't Know"

Whenever you have more than 10% undecided for a poll, you should, as a rule of thumb throw it out and do it again because it's clear you didn't do your job right. If you count 'haven't heard enough from' as undecided, you should be lucky to have a job if you compiled the results of the poll and turned it in.

No doubt, *especially* considering that they are the two most prominent targets of the ire of the right-wing. People who are politically active know the names of Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid, and more likely to have an opinion of them. But if you ask the same people a question about Senator Ron Wyden of Idaho, you'll have *more* people withholding judgment, because they don't have the same reactive disgust or appreciation for him since he's not prominent outside of his state. The closest you'll get to a reaction is someone will refuse to admit they don't know who he is, so they'll google him and use the information they get from google (e.g., his party affiliation) to make a veneer of an informed opinion.

So when nearly 3 out of every 5 Americans are willing to withhold opinions on the most divisive members of Congress, you know the right wing noise machine is greatly overstating how bad the 2010 elections are going to be for Democrats.

[quote name='Papa Neorev']undecided, Don't know, and haven't heard enough.....................wtf happened to good old polls with 2 fucking answers (yes or no) or in this case (unfavorable/favorable). At the very least make all 3 undecided. I want to know who the fuck picked "Don't Know"[/QUOTE]

People who don't know. People who don't follow politics, people who don't care about politics, people who follow politics but not enough to know who some of the major-minor players are, and people who don't buy into this 'rah rah support this team' and 'rah rah kill the other team' approach to politics.

[quote name='mykevermin']

People who don't know. People who don't follow politics, people who don't care about politics, people who follow politics but not enough to know who some of the major-minor players are, and people who don't buy into this 'rah rah support this team' and 'rah rah kill the other team' approach to politics.[/QUOTE]

Also known as "Why the system is broken."

People who know nothing about politics still get a vote, and their vote is swayed by money. I don't mean them literally being paid, but ad campaigns and the like. Propaganda. Being told one party loves war, or the other is a terrorist. These people are not intelligent people capable of making a well-informed decision. They aren't voting on who will do the best job, they are voting on who paid more to throw dirt on the other party.

[quote name='mykevermin']But if you ask the same people a question about Senator Ron Wyden of Idaho, you'll have *more* people withholding judgment, because they don't have the same reactive disgust or appreciation for him since he's not prominent outside of his state.[/QUOTE]

A problem likely to be compounded by the fact that he's the senior senator from Oregon.

[quote name='mykevermin']People who don't know. People who don't follow politics, people who don't care about politics, people who follow politics but not enough to know who some of the major-minor players are, and people who don't buy into this 'rah rah support this team' and 'rah rah kill the other team' approach to politics.[/QUOTE]

I'd say the people who don't know/care enough about politics include the "rah rah" folks.

[quote name='UncleBob']I'd say the people who don't know/care enough about politics include the "rah rah" folks.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but the rah rahs would take a side in a poll. I'd think they'd know reid and pelosi in this instance.

[quote name='SpazX']Yeah, but the rah rahs would take a side in a poll. I'd think they'd know reid and pelosi in this instance.[/QUOTE]

The average person doesn't know who Pelosi and especially Reid are, much less the leaders of the minority (John Boehner and Mitch McConnell). I'd wager at least half of the country couldn't tell you who's vice president. But everyone knows the plot of "24" and is up on the latest 3D movies.

[quote name='elprincipe']The average person doesn't know who Pelosi and especially Reid are, much less the leaders of the minority (John Boehner and Mitch McConnell). I'd wager at least half of the country couldn't tell you who's vice president. But everyone knows the plot of "24" and is up on the latest 3D movies.[/QUOTE]

First of all, fuck 3d, it's just them adding to ticket prices... second, I have no idea why anyone likes 24.

Plus, American Idol would've been a better example. It replaced Jerry Springer for "Show that uneducated white-trash Americans love."

[quote name='elprincipe']The average person doesn't know who Pelosi and especially Reid are, much less the leaders of the minority (John Boehner and Mitch McConnell). I'd wager at least half of the country couldn't tell you who's vice president. But everyone knows the plot of "24" and is up on the latest 3D movies.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't say they'd necessarily know who they are, like their states, ranks, duties, what-have-you, but I think the average person could give you their party and whether or not they were pushing for the healthcare bill or fighting against it. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think they've been talked about enough on the tubes for the average person to at least have that much of an idea connected to the names.

[quote name='mykevermin']So when nearly 3 out of every 5 Americans are willing to withhold opinions on the most divisive members of Congress, you know the right wing noise machine is greatly overstating how bad the 2010 elections are going to be for Democrats.[/QUOTE]

If the question was "what do you think of that Mormon, Harry Ried", I suspect people would have an opinion.:)

I'd say the people who don't know/care enough about politics include the "rah rah" folks.

Actually I was watching C-SPAN and one pollster was saying how people who are more informed are the ones who are more likely to be really polarized i.e. turn into the 'rah rah' folks. I'll try to find a link if theres a poll that shows this.

[quote name='SpazX']I wouldn't say they'd necessarily know who they are, like their states, ranks, duties, what-have-you, but I think the average person could give you their party and whether or not they were pushing for the healthcare bill or fighting against it. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think they've been talked about enough on the tubes for the average person to at least have that much of an idea connected to the names.[/QUOTE]

Eh, I think you're overestimating the average Joe here. Probably most could tell you the Democrats passed health-care reform and the Republicans opposed it, but the actual names, much less positions? Maybe more likely for Pelosi since she's higher profile.

[quote name='xxDOYLExx']If the question was "what do you think of that Mormon, Harry Ried", I suspect people would have an opinion.:)[/QUOTE]

Yep. Or if they said he was Muslim or atheist. Seen these kinds of polls?

648-1.gif

http://pewresearch.org/pubs/648/romney-mormon

[quote name='camoor']I like how whenever Boehner posts something to youtube, there are always comments that run along the lines of

"Great point, BONER"[/QUOTE]

the internet doesnt care if youre a politician or not.

Those soldiers are HUGE!

Is that that Dees artist? Christ, take the most hamfisted political cartoonists ever and add the artistic skills of Thomas Kincaid, and you've got that fuckin' guy.

bread's done
Back