Desktop RAM question...

clariste

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I know little about computers, enough to get me by. I'm wondering what a good price for RAM is. And are there different types I should be comparing? Lookin to add more mem to my PC and want to get a good price. Don't need installation, I can do that, just the RAM itself. Anyone know what a good price is ($/MB or otherwise)? I don't have a specific size in mind, just wanting a general price range. TIA.

You can get a gig of Corsair value ram for about 80 dollars on Newegg. I use it and it runs great since I don't overclock. But before you buy any, you should check to see if it'll be compatible with your current set up.

About .10-.15 a MB is pretty average.

I recently paid $200 for 2GB of 'value ram'. Getting into the overclocking ram with heatsinks you're looking more to 20-30 cents a meg.

[quote name='Kayden']About .10-.15 a MB is pretty average.

I recently paid $200 for 2GB of 'value ram'. Getting into the overclocking ram with heatsinks you're looking more to 20-30 cents a meg.[/QUOTE]

You can overclock memory now? Yikes...

[quote name='Vinny']You can overclock memory now? Yikes...[/QUOTE]
Its fun especially when you have no clue what the timings mean (yeah I'm talkin about myself)

www.pricewatch.com for average prices. Newegg would probably be the best place to actually purchase it. I just use Corsair's value RAM, it seems to be okay.

I would just look at the RAM that's already in your system, it will probably say the speed. For some computers, I know you can sometimes mix speeds (like PC3200 and PC2700 especially), and the faster one will underclock to the lower speed. It's better to have the same speeds in there though.

bread's done
Back