Desperate plea for help with my home network

monstermog

CAG Veteran
I hope this counts as a general PC issue :( I've exhausted all my resources and am hoping CAG can help me out with my home network!

Here's the story:

Our ISP is Comcast cable. We have a Motorola modem which is plugged into a Wireless G Netgear router. There is a computer hardwired to the router. We have another wire plugged into the router that runs through our ceiling to the other side of the house where it is connected to a Netgear switch. Plugged into the switch is two gaming PCs and an Xbox 360. We also have one laptop and a Nintendo Wii that are wireless.

We keep losing internet to the 2 PCs and the Xbox 360 that are attached to the switch. We have gone months with it working fine but every few weeks or so we have a huge problem with the internet just going down and it is getting very tiresome. It comes back up if we unplug the switch for 30 seconds and plug is back in. Just to note: the PC that is hardwired into the router in the other room stays online when this happens.

We've tried applying static IP addresses to all the computers on the entire network (which worked for a while) and also have tried resetting our network hardware to factory default and plugging one piece of hardware at a time but we're still having problems.

Does anyone have any ideas on how we can fix this? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.

The only thing I can suggest is stop using Netgear. Netgear is garbage in my experience. Get some good Linksys equipment. It sounds like the switch is the issue, so that might need replacing.

[quote name='YodaEXE']The only thing I can suggest is stop using Netgear. Netgear is garbage in my experience. Get some good Linksys equipment. It sounds like the switch is the issue, so that might need replacing.[/quote]

This. The switch is losing the authentication information from the router that's why you you are getting "outages" and have to unplug the switch.
Get yourself a Linksys Switch and you will be fine.

For a router, try a Linksys WRT54G2... it is on Amazon for $45:
http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-WRT54...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1238941335&sr=8-1
For a switch, Try looking for Linksys Model # EZXS55W... it's on Amazon for $20:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00003006E

Wow I really appreciate the responses and suggestions. Out of all the places I looked for help, CAG was the only place I got responses from

I used to work Comcast tech support and noticed the majority of the people calling in with router/switch related issues were using Netgear, so your certainly not the only one who's had similar issues.

I personally use a Linksys (WRT54G) router with my Motorola modem (Comcast is still my ISP) and I can't remember the last time I had an issue tied to the router (if ever) and I've been using it for nearly three years now.

I agree with Yoda and xpag, try using Linksys.

bread's done
Back