Destiny Discussion Thread - Fear The Moon Wizards on September 9th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone had the Crux drop on a character that has done a normal crota kill first? Was just running crota with some people that said that if you clear normal first you cannot get the crux on a subsequent hard kill because you already got a chance at the exotic loot table on your normal clear. Can anyone confirm or deny?
Yes, I mentioned it last week so you probably missed it. I beat Crota on normal (got energies, exotic, and helm) then beat him on normal with the same character and got crux and energy. My friend did it this week, too. He beat normal (to try to get Black Hammer), then hard and he got the crux on hard. So it is very possible. I'm not sure what the odds are for doing it this way versus just doing hard though. I just know it's possible.

And I'm not sure how true it is that you can't get an exotic twice or maybe that the crux is even considered an exotic. When I did it, I got No Land Beyond on normal, then I got the crux on hard. (Granted...the No Land Beyond doesn't really count since no one really wants it....)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, now that I think about it, I got a Plan C from Hard mode Crota after beating it on Normal. So the "exotic" chance is not limited to one playthrough like it is at the Deathsinger.

And since the Crux only drops on hard, I think it probably makes no difference whether you played it on normal or not.

Yes, I mentioned it last week so you probably missed it. I beat Crota on normal (got energies, exotic, and helm) then beat him on normal with the same character and got crux and energy. My friend did it this week, too. He beat normal (to try to get Black Hammer), then hard and he got the crux on hard. So it is very possible. I'm not sure what the odds are for doing it this way versus just doing hard though. I just know it's possible.

And I'm not sure how true it is that you can't get an exotic twice or maybe that the crux is even considered an exotic. When I did it, I got No Land Beyond on normal, then I got the crux on hard. (Granted...the No Land Beyond doesn't really count since no one really wants it....)
Yeah, now that I think about it, I got a Plan C from Hard mode Crota after beating it on Normal. So the "exotic" chance is not limited to one playthrough like it is at the Deathsinger.

And since the Crux only drops on hard, I think it probably makes no difference whether you played it on normal or not.
Ok thanks guys, I thought I had read in here before that doing normal then hard still gives you a chance at the Crux. Figured the guy running his mouth was full of it but wanted to confirm. I actually got Patience and Time on a hard mode clear last night and have received exotics on hard before after a normal clear so it further proves the guy was just talking out of his butt. Either way, nobody got the Crux in my 3 hard mode clears last night. :(

I did push my other 2 characters to 32 finally, more just to get into quick games on LFG than anything. Had a fun mix of swordbearers/teams starting off with the kid who claimed to have 13 ghallahorns and runs sword in his sleep (he was above average so it was a quick clear), then got into a game with a clan who was dead set on running left side with titan bubbles in the tower to stop boomers. Despite everyone being 32, they weren't so good, and the sword bearer definitely wasn't very good as he kept wiping. So they kicked myself and a few others to get more clan members in (yea it was my fault the sword bearer couldn't run sword, lol). Next team had a guy that had only run sword on hard once before and he was actually pretty good so got that clear done quickly. We even had 2 31s with us which made me laugh at the all 32 clan team I ran with before that. Final clear, found a guy who runs sword for a living and openly solicited us for donations, no joke. But he was really damn good, and we cleared it in only a couple runs, plus we did 3 downs per sword so we were done quickly. Now we get to run it all over again...

Nightfall/Heroic is Omnigul again, but with no burn. Should be fun

I think I need to rage quit more often, it's pretty obvious after 3 or 4 failures if a team will get it together or not, but I'll waste hours with a group and never clear.

I'm going to be on for the weekly tonight (Coins!) but I think I'll save myself the headache of Omnibitch with light switch active. After that I could raid if it's at least a 4/6 CAG crew.

On around 9:00 EST.

I'm going to be on for the weekly tonight (Coins!) but I think I'll save myself the headache of Omnibitch with light switch active. After that I could raid if it's at least a 4/6 CAG crew.
I'm down to raid. I need Crota hard or normal. I'd be down for VOG normal too (or hard from oracles or gorgon).

GLOCKGLOCK said:
Final clear, found a guy who runs sword for a living and openly solicited us for donations, no joke. But he was really damn good, and we cleared it in only a couple runs, plus we did 3 downs per sword so we were done quickly.
Like real money donations? That's hilarious.

I got two Crota hard kills in last night with my regular group + Vendetta filling in for one of the others who was missing in action. I got a (crappy roll) Hunter helm at least but no Crux. So I still have one normal + hard clear for the week.

simosaurus said:

Yeah, I still want to run Nightfall though. I won't be available until after 9pm Pacific for anything though most likely.

I played my first real Crucible/Iron Banner last night with Vendetta and Chammer from my other group. I had only ever played one other Crucible match before that and it was months ago. I didn't do too badly. I started off with a pretty good match being over 1 on the K/D, which I'll take any day of the week.

I was trying to get the Thorn bounty done so I was using Word of Crota/Praedyth's/Corrective Measure. I did great with CM when I got heavy ammo. I did OK with Word of Crota and I barely ever got to use Praedyth - just rarely got a chance to snipe when stuff moves so fast. But of course everyone is using Suros/Vex and other auto-stuff like that so it was hard to get many shots with Word of Crota, though I had my fair share of kills with it. Lots of Fist of Havoc and Bladedancing to look out for too. I got my Thorn bounty score up to 38 (out of 500) after the 4th or 5th match but then I had a horrible last match (well, it was nearly 6am) and it dropped to 20. My K/D was like .5 but worse than that my kills were with the knife or Bladedancer so I didn't pick up Void kills even. I guess if I'm serious with that I should wait until I get it on my Warlock. I do have the Bad Juju bounty on my Warlock but I'm still on the strikes part. Maybe I can take her into Iron Banner later though. Since I didn't have the Nightfall bonus I didn't turn in my one completed bounty so I have no idea how far I am with the rank on my Hunter.

GLOCKGLOCK said:
Final clear, found a guy who runs sword for a living and openly solicited us for donations, no joke. But he was really damn good, and we cleared it in only a couple runs, plus we did 3 downs per sword so we were done quickly.

I got two Crota hard kills in last night with my regular group + Vendetta filling in for one of the others who was missing in action. I got a (crappy roll) Hunter helm at least but no Crux. So I still have one normal + hard clear for the week.

simosaurus said:

Yeah, I still want to run Nightfall though. I won't be available until after 9pm Pacific for anything though most likely.

I played my first real Crucible/Iron Banner last night with Vendetta and Chammer from my other group. I had only ever played one other Crucible match befoe that and it was months ago. I didn't do too badly. I started off with a pretty good match being over 1 on the K/D, which I'll take any day of the week.

I was trying to get the Thorn bounty done so I was using Word of Crota/Praedyth's/Corrective Measure. I did great with CM when I got heavy ammo. I did OK with Word of Crota and I barely ever got to use Praedyth - just rarely got a chance to snipe when stuff moves so fast. But of course everyone is using Suros/Vex and other auto-stuff like that so it was hard to get many shots with Word of Crota, though I had my fair share of kills with it. Lots of Fist of Havoc and Bladedancing to look out for too. I got my Thorn bounty score up to 38 (out of 500) after the 4th or 5th match but then I had a horrible last match (well, it was nearly 6am) and it dropped to 20. My K/D was like .5 but worse than that my kills were with the knife or Bladedancer so I didn't pick up Void kills even. I guess if I'm serious with that I should wait until I get it on my Warlock. I do have the Bad Juju bounty on my Warlock but I'm still on the strikes part. Maybe I can take her into Iron Banner later though. Since I didn't have the Nightfall bonus I didn't turn in my one completed bounty so I have no idea how far I am into the rankings.

I played my first real Crucible/Iron Banner last night with Vendetta and Chammer from my other group. I had only ever played one other Crucible match before that and it was months ago. I didn't do too badly. I started off with a pretty good match being over 1 on the K/D, which I'll take any day of the week.

I was trying to get the Thorn bounty done so I was using Word of Crota/Praedyth's/Corrective Measure. I did great with CM when I got heavy ammo. I did OK with Word of Crota and I barely ever got to use Praedyth - just rarely got a chance to snipe when stuff moves so fast. But of course everyone is using Suros/Vex and other auto-stuff like that so it was hard to get many shots with Word of Crota, though I had my fair share of kills with it. Lots of Fist of Havoc and Bladedancing to look out for too. I got my Thorn bounty score up to 38 (out of 500) after the 4th or 5th match but then I had a horrible last match (well, it was nearly 6am) and it dropped to 20. My K/D was like .5 but worse than that my kills were with the knife or Bladedancer so I didn't pick up Void kills even. I guess if I'm serious with that I should wait until I get it on my Warlock. I do have the Bad Juju bounty on my Warlock but I'm still on the strikes part. Maybe I can take her into Iron Banner later though. Since I didn't have the Nightfall bonus I didn't turn in my one completed bounty so I have no idea how far I am with the rank on my Hunter.
Dude, I wouldn't make that story up, the guy was like "I am running this sword for people just to help out, but I'll take donations too. I'd appreciate it, I'll send you all my email and you can throw me something via paypal. I'll run sword kills for you every week on all your characters." When I was logging off I swear he was telling another person that he was going to use the money to give back to his community, after he paid off his child support.

If you are going for those crucible exotic bounties that penalize you for deaths I suggest just camping heavy ammo. Go invisible as a hunter and use a void shotty to sneak up on people. When you get heavy go to town with truth. I stink at MP and was able to knock those out quickly. I didn't have a void primary either, with WoC it shouldn't be too bad.

Dust off your AE and try that for a couple of rounds. You won't out shoot a Suros, but you can win if you get the jump. Fusion secondary is good since you don't really use shotguns.

RADa5AURU5 said:
Io and I had Omnigull down to a sliver when we wiped. Lost all desire to play.
Yeah, that sucked. We were literally 99.9% done with the Nightfall before wiping.

I'll be on again in 30-60 minutes.

Got back on and ended up doing 2 Nightfalls and got 12 coins each time. I know people complain about getting that, but I'm perfectly fine with it. I'd much rather have that than a weapon that will just end up as 2 useless ascendant energy. At least they fixed it so that Nightfall doesn't give you 4 or 5 coins. I remember getting that a few times in the past. Having it give you less than the Heroic Weekly was just plain stupid.

I also got in on a Normal Crota kill with Vendetta's friends. I got 2 shards for Crota - still no Hunger of Crota. I did get Hard Light from Deathsinger. That's nice but I already had one.

I still need to do one Nightfall and 2 Heroic Weeklies (though I may just pass on those). Then I still have one Hard Crota clear to do with my Titan as well as the earlier parts with my Warlock. I'm not sure if I'll get through all that this week though. I might also jump back into Iron Banner a bit.

Since XBL was jacked last night, I'm going to try for the weeklies again tonight. io, how bad was nightfall? Is it as much as much of a grind as we feared?

I was able to run through the Nightfall and Weekly last night. It wasnt that bad until we got to Omnigul, took us about 15 minutes because 1 guy kept dying. 

XBL seemed to stabilize a bit after 11pm so I ran Nightfall/Heroic on my titan.  It is not that bad, but it does take a bit longer due to there being no burns.  Stay in the first room and always keep someone out of harms way since periodically she will spawn a group of knights/thrall/exploding thrall that will rush that room and with lightswitch on melee hits are pretty much an instant kill.  Take her shields down with arc weapons then hit her with your heavy stuff before her shields come back up.  At the end there will be a bunch of wizards out with her so try to take her down quickly once she gets low on health.  Also exploding thrall will spawn from the right door in the first room so be on the lookout.

If you get downed in a place that can be risky to get to for revive you can drop out to orbit and rejoin the game.  This will put you at the bottom of the hill, just make sure the host transfers fireteam lead before trying this, lol.

I think the back room strategy works well for Heroic.  Might be good for nightfall too if you have someone that is willing to just hide and do the revives from the top part of the back room.

simosaurus said:
Since XBL was jacked last night, I'm going to try for the weeklies again tonight. io, how bad was nightfall? Is it as much as much of a grind as we feared?
It is a pain. On my second clear, we wiped due to one of the Knights in the area just before Omnigull. He chopped all 3 of us while we were trying to get the Ogre. So, yeah, besides what Glockglock said, I'd just be sure to have someone stay back at nearly all times and don't rush into things. The whole thing from start to end takes a while though.

Let's put it this way. I was running it with some people and then Vendetta told me they were ready to Raid so before we started our second Nightfall I joined the Crota raid (on Normal) just after the abyss. I was able to finish Crota and join back in to the other two while they were only about half way through the Nightfall ;). SO I'd say it takes 45 minutes to an hour depending on how careful you are being.

I still want to clear the Heroic Weekly on my Warlock since I need the strikes for the Bad Juju bounty.

So get this, Vendetta: I ended up getting TWO Hard Light last night. I got that first one from the normal Crota clear. Then I got another on my 3rd Nightfall. I was lucky there as I used LFG and someone invited me in right at Omnigull - that was very nice. Then he wanted to do Crota hard mode and used LFG to find 4 others. We were doing pretty well but of course wiped on our best attempt due to disappearing sword :bomb:. Then the swordbearer had to go. So I still have one hard mode clear left for the week.

It was a little annoying because these guys all did the heavy ammo glitch which required them all to spend 5 minutes at the beginning of each run emptying out their primaries and rockets (and of course one guy killed himself doing that one time). I didn't bother - still only ended up using just 2 synths in about 10 runs. I'm not even quite sure how it works - they were saying to empty primaries to 3 clips, then empty that into the window before it disappears. The I guess you use Icebreaker to kill stuff to get the heavy drops.

It is a pain. On my second clear, we wiped due to one of the Knights in the area just before Omnigull. He chopped all 3 of us while we were trying to get the Ogre. So, yeah, besides what Glockglock said, I'd just be sure to have someone stay back at nearly all times and don't rush into things. The whole thing from start to end takes a while though.

Let's put it this way. I was running it with some people and then Vendetta told me they were ready to Raid so before we started our second Nightfall I joined the Crota raid (on Normal) just after the abyss. I was able to finish Crota and join back in to the other two while they were only about half way through the Nightfall ;). SO I'd say it takes 45 minutes to an hour depending on how careful you are being.

I still want to clear the Heroic Weekly on my Warlock since I need the strikes for the Bad Juju bounty.

So get this, Vendetta: I ended up getting TWO Hard Light last night. I got that first one from the normal Crota clear. Then I got another on my 3rd Nightfall. I was lucky there as I used LFG and someone invited me in right at Omnigull - that was very nice. Then he wanted to do Crota hard mode and used LFG to find 4 others. We were doing pretty well but of course wiped on our best attempt due to disappearing sword :bomb:. Then the swordbearer had to go. So I still have one hard mode clear left for the week.

It was a little annoying because these guys all did the heavy ammo glitch which required them all to spend 5 minutes at the beginning of each run emptying out their primaries and rockets (and of course one guy killed himself doing that one time). I didn't bother - still only ended up using just 2 synths in about 10 runs. I'm not even quite sure how it works - they were saying to empty primaries to 3 clips, then empty that into the window before it disappears. The I guess you use Icebreaker to kill stuff to get the heavy drops.
I still have one weekly left on my Titan, so if I see you on, I'll hit you up :)

And yeah that knight slicing all 3 of our faces was a load of bullshit. Then the 2nd time when Foxy and I both got our faces chopped off. Thankfully you stayed back otherwise that was another wipe...

Man I'll have to tell Irish you got a 2nd Hard Light. He's gonna be a bit butt hurt hearing that. We ran Iron Banner after we did the raid. For the most part we ended up winning. Had 2 awesome comeback wins. About 1/3 of the way to level 3 and hopefully RNjesus will drop me a Timur's Lash! Gotta get to level 5 though to get that scout rifle... :drool:

And yeah... I like the way your group or my group does Crota. I like shooting primary on the first down everytime. I guess it helps that all of the guys I do that with are DPS machines. Your guys' way is fine too because I don't burn through synth like crazy there either. :D

If they know what they're doing it shouldn't take 5 minutes. They were probably using the wrong guns to do it. And as annoying as it may seem to spend that time at the start, it greatly increases your chances of beating Crota in one run. Since everyone will have heavy ammo up the whazoo, you simply unload on everything. There is no excuse for swordbearer not to die quickly, no excuse for Crota not to take a knee. I'd rather spend those initial minutes than waste time wiping over and over again. And especially since Bungie is no longer letting Xur sell heavy ammo synths, I have absolutely no problems doing this at all.

Well, we still wiped several times regardless. At least 4 times Crota chopped the swordbearer when he was invis. I think some of the problem initially was that the host was in the UK and the swordbearer was U.S. and we were lagging like crazy. So then we switched to him being the host and that was better - but at that point we only did 2 or 3 more runs.

What I don't understand was why they had to do it every time - especially considering some of our wipes were on the first sword where they should have only used 1-2 rockets max. I usually had enough rockets left over even without the glitch and they should have all been max every time, or close to it (depending on whether they got back into the front room again before we wiped). I could see doing it every 2 or 3 times maybe.

I also didn't try it because I didn't want to lose what I had and not get anything in return. I didn't quite follow the strategy (like you need to mostly empty your primary but not all the way?). They didn't explain it - just all started doing it like it was standard procedure. Not to me. Plus then it seems like you'd be competing for each other for the rare kills (there aren't that many Acolytes and they were saving the Knights for Super kills for orbs). And occasionally one of them would complain that the glitch glitched and they didn't get heavy drops...

You basically empty out your heavy ammo, then just enough of your primary.  Have a full clip in your gun and enough bullets in reserve to reload the gun just once.  It helps to use a gun that holds as few bullets as possible (No Land Beyond and Universal Remote both work well).  Then everyone touch up to the crystal and start completely emptying all your primary ammo.

If you time it right, you should have no ammo when the encounter starts.  (If you're too early in emptying your ammo (for example, someone else took too long to touch up to the crystal) then the game may give you ammo -- so that's why some people don't see ammo drops and think the game glitched against them.)  Switch to the Icebreaker at this point.  Get kills with it, or use grenades/supers/etc.  Heavy ammo galore.

And there's really no such thing as "kill stealing" because kills from your teammates will drop ammo for you, too.  The technique is really just taking advantage of the game's mechanics, so I personally don't consider this a glitch at all, though that's what it's commonly known as.  The game is designed to give you ammo drops when you're low/out.

What I like about this, aside from not having to use a synth, is that you can replenish your ammo every time you come back inside.  You do not have to wait for the synth timer.

If they are using a hand cannon they should be able to start it up in a minute, but I'm guessing they weren't if it was taking that long.  And I agree that doing it every time is beyond annoying.  But for the most part noobs from lfg think you need 5 people firing G-horn to down crota every time.

CaseX said:
And there's really no such thing as "kill stealing" because kills from your teammates will drop ammo for you, too. The technique is really just taking advantage of the game's mechanics, so I personally don't consider this a glitch at all, though that's what it's commonly known as. The game is designed to give you ammo drops when you're low/out.

What I like about this, aside from not having to use a synth, is that you can replenish your ammo every time you come back inside. You do not have to wait for the synth timer.
OK, well I had misunderstood something I read about this before then. I thought you had to get Icebreaker kills to get the heavy to drop.

Well, if I end up in an LFG group that is doing this I'll give it a try. It should work pretty well with Word of Crota (which I typically use at this point) since that is pretty easy to empty out.

I still have 30+ synths from the last time Xur sold them so I'm not hurting like some people are in that regard. I actually used more of those on the Nightfalls this week than I did on the Raid.

OK, well I had misunderstood something I read about this before then. I thought you had to get Icebreaker kills to get the heavy to drop.
The Icebreaker is always mentioned because that's the only gun that will regenerate ammo. Since you have none if u emptied everything, it's the only viable gun at that point. Yeah, I'm not hurting for synths either (still have 100+ from last time Xur sold them) but if bungie is not letting Xur sell them any more then it becomes extremely rare and expensive so I'd rather save them for the next dlc.

but if bungie is not letting Xur sell them any more then it becomes extremely rare and expensive so I'd rather save them for the next dlc.
Do we know for sure they aren't letting him sell them? I thought they just said it was RNG and they have no control over it.

Anyway, tale of two LFG groups for me tonight. I just wanted to get my 3rd hard mode Crota kill out of the way for the week so I went to LFG. The first group could barely get out of the freaking crystal room. Seriously - we wiped at least 3 times in there and in about 7 tries never even got to the second sword. Fortunately for me, they all bailed after that (they said they had been trying for hours at that point). Man, I wish you could block people from inviting you to a group that's been at it for so long because it almost surely won't end well.

So I went right back to LFG and got into a group that did it FIRST TRY. That's the first time that's ever happened with me even with my own group. Wow.

So, yeah, got like my 7th Word of Crota. So I've beaten Crota on Hard 3 times every week since hard came out. I think that is 15 tries or so (will have to check the release date and a calendar to be sure. Edit: yep, 15 times)? And I've gotten 6 or 7 each of Word of Crota and Fang and not a single Crux. Meanwhile these other guys are saying they got 2 in only 7 tries.

Just like with that stupid Hunger of Crota. fuck this game.

The Icebreaker is always mentioned because that's the only gun that will regenerate ammo. Since you have none if u emptied everything, it's the only viable gun at that point. Yeah, I'm not hurting for synths either (still have 100+ from last time Xur sold them) but if bungie is not letting Xur sell them any more then it becomes extremely rare and expensive so I'd rather save them for the next dlc.
Has anyone tried the heavy ammo trick with the invective?

Do we know for sure they aren't letting him sell them? I thought they just said it was RNG and they have no control over it.
There was a live Twitch stream where Bungie staff let slip there's a team at Bungie who determines what Xur sells. The video was removed and Bungie has since tried to claim that statement was not accurate. Believe what you will. To me, it's too much of a coincidence that Xur has sold synth almost every week except after HM Crota hit. And there was that one week where every single item was identical to what he sold a few weeks prior. In game rewards and engrams might be RNG. I don't believe for a second that Xur is. Bungie will say "it's randomized," but if Bungie sets the Gally to 1% chance of being sold and No Land Beyond to 99%, and lets a random number generator pick between them, it's still not truly random, imo. True RNG would be equal weighing across all items. The abundance of DLC items in Xur's inventory in recent weeks would argue otherwise. Just my opinion.

So I went right back to LFG and got into a group that did it FIRST TRY. That's the first time that's ever happened with me even with my own group. Wow.
That was like my very first HM Crota clear. I was floored how easy it was with a competent team. Lol.

Has anyone tried the heavy ammo trick with the invective?
Good point. I forgot the Invective also regens ammo. It's probably not as popular of an option since not everyone might have had that exotic bounty (whereas Xur has sold Icebreaker 3x now) and you have to wait 30 seconds for ammo to regen vs. Icebreaker one bullet every ~5 seconds. But yeah, I'd be curious, too, if the Invective works. Might try it this weekend just for giggles. Haha.

Finished off nightfall/weekly on my other 2 characters last night and then just did a bit of everything based on what I found on LFG.  3 atheon clears, gorgon chest, and 2 normal crota kills.  Still no Hunger of Crota for me...  but I did get a Suros from Nightfall which is nice because it was one of the few exotics I still had from the old damage table.  On that same clear the other 2 guys got Hard Light and Helm of Saint 14, which is the first time I have seen 3 exotics drop from nightfall in a long time.  Picked up another Hard Light from gorgons chest.  Did the 3 Atheon clears at the end of the night and after getting nothing on the first clear I picked up a Vex on the 2nd and then scored G-horn #3 on the final clear along with the Titan Helmet that had never dropped for me before.

No way I'm getting the crux this week after getting 4 exotics since the reset.

^ Lots of Hard Light this week ;).

CaseX said:
In game rewards and engrams might be RNG. I don't believe for a second that Xur is. Bungie will say "it's randomized," but if Bungie sets the Gally to 1% chance of being sold and No Land Beyond to 99%, and lets a random number generator pick between them, it's still not truly random, imo. True RNG would be equal weighing across all items. The abundance of DLC items in Xur's inventory in recent weeks would argue otherwise. Just my opinion.
I don't agree about the equal weighting issue (and I've seen that argument before on the Bungie forums). Setting probabilities (and clearly the DLC stuff is set higher) does not mean it isn't RNG. It is still determined by a random number - just weighted by probabilities. Look at something like the NBA lottery draft. It is still a random number generator (the ping pong balls or whatever) but it is weighted towards the teams with worse records.

What I don't believe from Bungie is that they have no control over it - or rather, that they couldn't control it if they wanted to. But given how few items Xur sells in that slot where the heavy ammo shows up, it doesn't surprise me it could go on a multi-week drought just based on RNG. So Bungie acknowledges the heavy ammo glitch and says it is really hard to fix and needs thorough testing to make sure nothing else breaks. That is all well and good. All they needed to do to foster some good will was hardwire Xur to have the heavy ammo at least once in the last 4 weeks and not let it rely on RNG (or if what you saw is true, exclude it entirely - that would be unconscionable). So that's my issue with them. But like I said, I still have plenty of synths. But it sucks when other people you raid with are out and have to go to tower for more mid-raid, or have to farm for glimmer before you can raid, etc. That makes the game a chore which will cause them to lose players more than anything else.

So, I read the weekly update and I was happy to see the news that they are adding matchmaking to the weekly heroic strikes.  But then I read a lot of comments and some posts from people who are miserable over it.   The level 30 strikes don't require any particular strategy at this point so I don't mind being paired with some randoms; it's easier than having to go to one of the LFG sites.

I'd still prefer to do the weeklies with friends, but if no one else is around, the matchmaking will help.  What am I missing?  Anyone here anti-matchmaking?

I just read that as well. I'm happy with it. I don't see why anyone would complain. You can still get 3 people in a fireteam and start it up with them, right? Just like you can with Roc strikes.

I wish it were active right now as I still have 2 more Heroics to run and would like to knock those out whenever without having to find a couple of you guys ;).

Another tidbit in the update is that they will make sure Xur always has exotic engrams. Too little too late on that (though I will still try for Praxic Fire if he ever has chest engrams again). No mention of heavy ammo though (other than fixing the glitch).

I just thought of something else they could have done with regards to heavy ammo to make up for the glitch. I'm sure it would have been super-easy for them to have a package of 10 or 20 synths delivered to everyone at the postmaster. That would have gone a long way towards the good will of the community if they can't/won't make Xur sell them. Sometimes these things are so simple and would be so good for them to do I just don't get it...

Edit: I guess the issue some people have is wanting to solo or 2-man the Heroic and that would not be possible now because it will stick other people in there. OK, I guess. I would have a problem with that on the Nightfall only because sometimes I go in there just for bounties (Pocket Infinity or the Eris one if I forgot to get it). So sometimes I'm not trying to complete it. Obviously the best way to deal with it is to have matchmaking be an option - but I see that as a more major change so hopefully they can bring that in later.

Holy hell!

Xur has both chest engrams and heavy ammo synths!

Bu then just as I was switching to my second char to buy more synths it appears Xbox Live crapped out. I'm still on CAG on my computer, so it is just Live...

He also has Voidfang Vestments so I bought those. Then I bought 2 engrams hoping to get Praxif Fire. The first one gave me another Voidfang (d'oh!) with a much worse roll (Xur's is pretty good). Then I got Lukcy Raspberry with the second. I think it might be better than the one my Hunter had but I can't tell since XBL crapped out. I could only buy 2 on my Warlock. I'm not sure if I want to blow through all the rest of my motes trying to get Praxis Fire though.

Oh yeah, the weapon is No Land Beyond - so boo on that. But since he has the heavy synth I forgive him for that ;).

Edit: OK, got back on and got a few more chest engrams. I wasted a TON of motes and it appears my luck with exotic engram RNG has come to an end:

Lucky Raspbery 2 x (both worse than the one I had)
Alpha Lupi for Hunter (also worse)
Alpha Lupi for Titan (I didn't have this but it seems useless)
Voidfang Vestments (just bought Xur's better one)
Armamentarium (with like 40 less discipline than the one I had)
and I think one more...

So out of 6 or 7 (at a cost of 138 or 161 motes) I got one new useless Titan armor and not the one I really wanted (Warlock Heart of Praxic Fire).

Now I have to figure out how to stock up on as much heavy synth as possible. Each character now has 3 stacks. But I'd been keeping each character's things separate. I guess now I'll have to pile things up just in the Vault or on individual characters. I figure I want at least 5-6 stacks for each character just to be safe. It's too bad they only stack at 20.

Bungie sets the Gally to 1% chance of being sold and No Land Beyond to 99%,
CALLED IT!! Lol.

I just read that as well. I'm happy with it. I don't see why anyone would complain. You can still get 3 people in a fireteam and start it up with them, right? Just like you can with Roc strikes.
People are complaining because Bungie keeps forcing people to play the way Bungie wants them to play. Since there was no matchmaking before, some people liked being able to solo the weeklies, or two-man them with their buddies. Now you are forced to play with strangers. People want choices. They should've given people the option to choose to matchmake or to play with their current fireteam, instead of forcing matchmaking.

I'm also happy he's selling heavy ammo. Time to empty out my vault of useless shaders and stock up.

I can't believe you guys are still playing this game so regularly!

My two cents on the new Weekly Heroic matchmaking is that you should not be removing options for players. I don't mind having to be forced up with people but really if I want to do it solo or with only one other person, I should have the option to. The way to make this game better is to add more options to the player, not to give us one but take away another. To me it is one step forward and half a step back, like nearly everything Bungie has done with this game.

Many times too my buddies and I if we were busy would just plow through the Heroic Weekly and invite each other right before the end and likely swap the following week or whatever. This however is now impossible. 

You all should switch over to Evolve by the way so I have more people to play with : D

But yeah saw this video and thought I would post it here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QwERUow9lY

(Skip to like 10 minutes in) Basically some kid gets duped by some stranger to SharePlay on the PS4 to have him do a supposed 'glitch' and then the a-hole just deletes the little kids characters. : /

Sucks that SharePlay allows guests to access save data and such but really as much as I feel bad for the kid in the end it is his fault, well and of course the d-bag Kermit guy for actually doing that to some kid. I feel like gamers especially we all have been screwed somehow from people on the internet and we learn from it, this is this kids moment here and he will likely be far more cautious with strangers in the future. So at least that is good?

I just thought of something else they could have done with regards to heavy ammo to make up for the glitch. I'm sure it would have been super-easy for them to have a package of 10 or 20 synths delivered to everyone at the postmaster. That would have gone a long way towards the good will of the community if they can't/won't make Xur sell them. Sometimes these things are so simple and would be so good for them to do I just don't get it...
Now that they are finally selling them you know they will take your suggestion and gift a bunch of them to us after we buy a ton this weekend, lol. Kind of like how they screwed everyone over when they changed how exotics worked right before Dark Below dropped.

Hopefully they will limit who can join you for the weekly stuff, but I'm guessing that anyone who is eligible can get matched with you. Carrying 2 - 27s through Omnigul should be a blast, lol. Either way, I'll still run these with Cags or get a full team from LFG 99% of the time. I never liked soloing or 2 manning these strikes, but I agree that cutting down people's options isn't exactly moving the game forward, and at the end of the day this is Bungie fixing another thing that nobody cares about instead of focusing on the lack of content and game breaking glitches.

I think I spend more time reading and posting in this thread than I do actually playing now. lol Tuesday and Monday I do play to start/complete the weekly stuff but the rest of the week I mostly stay away. I do still log in Friday morning so I can be dis-Xur-pointed as usual. Although the Heavy Ammo Synths were a nice surprise. I also don't have that Titan Chest so I'll pick it up later. Won't bother with the engrams since the only chest I'm missing now is Armentanium and that seems to go on sale frequently.

That SharePlay video is kind of crazy. I don't do a ton of gaming on my PS4 so I didn't even know what it was until I watched the video. That doesn't seem like a very secure feature to have, but in a way I feel like that video might have been staged. Also that PS4 interface hurts my head (not like the XB1 is that much better, but I am at least familiar with it).

Why are people still playing iron banner? Are those weapons really that good?

Well, started out by buying the exotic engram and got... Voidfang Vestments. Gald I did that first! Then I bought 80 heavy ammo synths and still have 85 coins in the bank. Not a bad weekend with Mr. Xur.

Who else suspects that NLB will get a major revamp & buff soon and then never be sold by Xur again? Then I'll be kicking myself for passing on it every time.

I ran through Crota on hard with a buddy of mine and 4 randoms from the Destiny app. It was the most efficient run I have ever been a part of, and we even took out Crota on the first try! My buddy got the Crux and i got The Truth. I have 1 more character to run it on so hopefully the Crux drops for me.

My two cents on the new Weekly Heroic matchmaking is that you should not be removing options for players. I don't mind having to be forced up with people but really if I want to do it solo or with only one other person, I should have the option to. The way to make this game better is to add more options to the player, not to give us one but take away another. To me it is one step forward and half a step back, like nearly everything Bungie has done with this game.
Sure, I can see that. And I agree it is one step forward and half a step back - but at least that is forward motion. I'd rather have the matchmaking than not if those are our only two options. I can see what people are complaining about now. I just always run it with 2 others or find LFG people, so to me this just saves me time and hassle so I'm for it.

As for the option issue: I'm a software engineer and I see how simply adding an option might not be as easy as everyone thinks it is. Sure, this is absolutely necessary long-term, but given how much trouble they had with the heavy ammo glitch, I'd rather they do this now, then work on adding the options (for all strikes) at a later date (maybe even for something like Comet).

And really, this just makes it like every other strike (save the Nightfall) so it isn't like some shocking change.

Glock - I don't think you'd end up carrying two 27's through a Heroic Weekly. When I play any level of matchmaking strike, from the original level 7-14 ones up to Roc strikes, I almost always get matched up with people at the same level, and 95% of the time it is someone within 1 level. I also very rarely see the AFK'ers that people complain about on the Bungie forums. The only problem I have on Roc strikes are people leaving right at the beginning because they don't like the strike selection. I end up solo or 2-man in many Roc strikes and the game often doesn't put someone else in (though it is great when you get dropped in right at the end on occasion).

As for the video where that kid gets his characters deleted, that was pure evil. I really hope Bungie bans the guy that did that even if they can't restore the kid's stuff. So many people on the Bungie forums were saying the kid deserved it for "cheating". I couldn't really follow what it was he was hoping to do, but I gather the guy convinced him he could "glitch" his lower-level character up by doing something and needed control to do it. I'm fully on the opposite side of that issue - kids are naturally pretty trusting of "adults" and it was unusually cruel to take advantage of that. Ban the bastard. I suppose if you are ever going to learn a lesson about trusting strangers, though, it is better to do so on a stupid video game than on something more serious.

Bought Voidfang and Lupi chests.  Rolled the dice with an engram and got a Lupi for the hunter with a shit roll :bomb:  Now all I need exotic wise is:

-Upgraded Armamantarium (still have light level 30 of this)

-Skull of Dire Ahamkara

-Saint-14

-No Back Up Plans

-Ruin Wings

-Red Death

Also I bought 240 Heavy Ammo Synthesis... Probably overkill but eh I had plenty of strange coins.

Just hit level 3 in Iron Banner.  Still got a bit to go before hitting 5 and buying the scout rifle.  My buddy got a Radegast's Fury with Arc Damage for a drop earlier.  I'm now eligible for weapon drops. :)

Sorry Vendetta I sucked at IB tonight. I was kind of distracted while playing (my mother is visiting and she was sitting next to me and kept trying to show me stuff on her computer :roll:) - though I kind of suck at PvP anyway. By the time I realize where I'm being attacked from I'm dead. It is just too much for me to look at the radar, the screen, and move all at the same time ;).

I did best when I sat back on that ship thing in that last match we played. I think my role is as a zone defender - not a front-line assault type...

I also didn't have great weapons with me. I'm going to try it again here for a bit on my own with Mythoclast and a fully upgraded Abyss Defiant. Though I was actually taking a few guys out with Fang of Ir Yut. It just zooms too much when you have guys closing in on you with shotguns.

I also think I did better with my Hunter (the other day) than as my Warlock. But now I'm invested in the Warlock for this IB anyway. I can't seem to get melee kills with my Warlock but I got lots as a Hunter before.

And maybe it is time to max out one of those auto-fire shotguns I got so many of from the Nightfall and give that a try.

Ok, just played IB for another few hours.

First of all, I did MUCH better using Vex Mythoclast than I did with Abyss Defiant and Word of Crota during our earlier matches Vendetta. So, yeah, I'll stick with that. I jumped in with randoms and was regularly 1.5-2 K/D, which I'll take any time. I guess when we went in as a fireteam of 6 it was matching us up against another fireteam (who probably played together a lot) because I had a much easier time in the random match (which I assume was mostly other solo people).

I was in one match where a guy on my team had a 0.04 K/D. How do you even do that? I mean, I guess that was 1 kill and 25 deaths. I'm surprised he got the one kill. He was a level 20 and I think probably just getting slaughtered by everything.

I got to rank 2. I take it the emblem gives you bonus exp and of course I bought one of the exp boosting things that lasts 12 hours. Is there anything else you can do? I want to buy the million million shader but I'm nearly out of glimmer now. Does that give you a bonus though, or does it just look cool? I guess I'll have to run Exclusion Zone to get some more money to get this stuff.

And then there was the one time I led my team (even though we lost badly). And I got a Gjallarhorn as the reward! I didn't see anyone get any exotics across all the matches I played (probably 12-15) besides that. I got my original one way back in October I think from a Nightfall and haven't seen one since. I would have preferred Suros or Red Death but if I had to get any duplicate weapon, Gjallarhorn is the one.

Oh yeah, I also knocked out the Bad Juju bounty - that was pretty easy considering I started the evening still 6 strikes short of even getting to the PvP portion. If only Thorn was that easy...

I picked up the Dubious Task bounty tonight. It looks like that one requires the 25 K/D spread with kills/assists counting as +1 and deaths as -1. That will be tough but I guess you can play it safe and just try to get damage on people and let others finish them off.

Ok, just played IB for another few hours.

First of all, I did MUCH better using Vex Mythoclast than I did with Abyss Defiant and Word of Crota during our earlier matches Vendetta. So, yeah, I'll stick with that. I jumped in with randoms and was regularly 1.5-2 K/D, which I'll take any time. I guess when we went in as a fireteam of 6 it was matching us up against another fireteam (who probably played together a lot) because I had a much easier time in the random match (which I assume was mostly other solo people).

I was in one match where a guy on my team had a 0.04 K/D. How do you even do that? I mean, I guess that was 1 kill and 25 deaths. I'm surprised he got the one kill. He was a level 20 and I think probably just getting slaughtered by everything.

I got to rank 2. I take it the emblem gives you bonus exp and of course I bought one of the exp boosting things that lasts 12 hours. Is there anything else you can do? I want to buy the million million shader but I'm nearly out of glimmer now. Does that give you a bonus though, or does it just look cool? I guess I'll have to run Exclusion Zone to get some more money to get this stuff.

And then there was the one time I led my team (even though we lost badly). And I got a Gjallarhorn as the reward! I didn't see anyone get any exotics across all the matches I played (probably 12-15) besides that. I got my original one way back in October I think from a Nightfall and haven't seen one since. I would have preferred Suros or Red Death but if I had to get any duplicate weapon, Gjallarhorn is the one.

Oh yeah, I also knocked out the Bad Juju bounty - that was pretty easy considering I started the evening still 6 strikes short of even getting to the PvP portion. If only Thorn was that easy...

I picked up the Dubious Task bounty tonight. It looks like that one requires the 25 K/D spread with kills/assists counting as +1 and deaths as -1. That will be tough but I guess you can play it safe and just try to get damage on people and let others finish them off.
Yeah man it pretty much seems like: Vex, Suros, Thorn, Last Word for PvP.

My buddy Mike wanted to play a few more matches last night so I got suckered into staying on last night for a bit. Ended up worth it as I got a Radegast's Fury, which I re-rolled and got tracking and Arc Damage! :D

As for Million Million, it increases rep gained by 10% like the emblem does. The class item will do the same as well and they all stack. So definitely try to get high enough to buy all of those! Once you hit level 3, you will be eligible to get drops of either of the 2 weapons for this Iron Banner: Timur's Lash (good PvP hand cannon, you will want to re-roll this to try and get a perk to lessen the kick, I heard it kicks like crazy) or Radagast's Fury.

As for auto shotgun, yeah Secret Handshake will do work in the IB. No worries on the games either, I think we were all kinda tired by then.

I'm sure Agent will love it that you got another G-Horn. ;)

EDIT: Well I'm rank 4 now. And I got a 2nd Radagast's Fury to drop. Solar damage with tracking :lol: I don't have many motes left though so I'm debating trying to roll this one to be like my first one :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back