Destiny Discussion Thread - Fear The Moon Wizards on September 9th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this a big download or just an "activation" patch for the stuff we downloaded a few weeks ago? I can't play till tonight but I would like to get it ready sooner if needed.

Edit: To answer my own question it only took 5-10 minutes to download and patch. So, yeah, it is pretty much an "activation" patch.

Also, I said it would be a good idea to bring back the Wrath even before HoW. Looks like they finally listened to me ;). I'm curious how this rank thing will work. The bounties are 250 each but I'm not sure what it takes to get to rank 2. They have both emblems and shaders at rank 2 now. I remember the Prism shader was out of reach for me last time even though I double-dipped on bounties just about every day. I ended up just a few point short of rank 4 (or 5) - whatever it was that was needed for that shader.

I equipped the shader, emblem, and class item on my Titan. Will be interesting to see if those give rep bonuses. I only have the emblem and shader to use on my Warlock (and then will have to transfer that to my Hunter). While I'm sad my emblem/shader aren't "special" any more, it will be nice to get the Prism one at least.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's right, almost forgot I have the titan class item to go with the shader and emblem.

Hell, I'm gonna go all out and equip the helm and chest piece too... lower light level be damned.  Pimp to the Queen!

So if i have any packages from the Vanguard at the postmaster should I open them now or wait till House of Wolves drops? Plus is anyone going to be on tonight? I still need to do Crota and VoG if possible.

Did the next Queen's Wrath bounty unlock yet? It didn't happen at reset last night. I ran all 4 on my 3 characters and double dipped (and even triple dipped once) on the chests and I have yet to get one of those mythical keys.

So if i have any packages from the Vanguard at the postmaster should I open them now or wait till House of Wolves drops? Plus is anyone going to be on tonight? I still need to do Crota and VoG if possible.
General advice is to hold them for after HoW. Opening them will give you xp which you can use to level up the new HoW gear.

Same goes for engrams... you'll want to decrypt them afterwards.

Did the next Queen's Wrath bounty unlock yet? It didn't happen at reset last night. I ran all 4 on my 3 characters and double dipped (and even triple dipped once) on the chests and I have yet to get one of those mythical keys.
Yup, roughly around 10am PST this morning. And no keys for me either.

Here's a good article for some of these new Queen bounties:

http://kotaku.com/how-to-get-the-most-out-of-destiny-s-cool-new-bounties-1704964922

1. Go to the tower and pick up the available bounties from Petra Venj. Each one looks like an actual bounty this time, with the name of a target and their outline. A new bounty opens up each day; there are already five of them available: Two on Earth, two on Venus, and one on the Moon. The last Moon one unlocks tomorrow. Nifty.

2. While picking up your bounty from Petra, say her name out loud. Notice that it sounds like you’re saying “Pet Revenge.” Lol softly to yourself.

3. Head to whatever region the bounty you’re pursuing dictates, and wait. In a few minutes, you’ll see some notification text that says “A pack of Wolves is prowling.” That means it’s go time.

4. Fight off the waves of attacking Fallen. Eventually, the mini-boss on your bounty appears. The enemies are all high level, so they can be pretty tough. Fortunately, there’ll be a lot of people at a given battle, since everyone is doing these pretty much constantly.

5. Once you beat the boss, things get interesting. You’ll get an “Ether Key” with a countdown timer. As you may have guessed, that means you have a limited amount of time to find a chest that has spawned in the area, which requires the key. The ether chest has a gold lance of light shooting up out of it. It looks like this:

1255199590405602151.png

In the chest, you’ll get some crafting materials, some blue or purple engrams, or even—apparently—a key to open a chest in the Prison of Elders, the new horde mode that comes with House of Wolves. I’ve gotten a bunch of blue and one purple engram, but no chest keys yet.

1255199590460461927.png

Interestingly, the engrams you get won’t decode yet. The (safe) assumption is that once House of Wolves launches, they’ll decode to new, higher-level gear. (You should also be keeping any legendary engrams you get anywhere else, since they’ll also carry over and decode to better stuff on Tuesday.)

General Tips
I’ve taken down a bunch of the bounties across my three alts. Here are a few tips to keep in mind as you go.

• Once you beat the boss, don’t die! I died once, and lost my Ether Key. The chest was still there, taunting me:
1255199590528929639.png

• Bring your Arc guns. These being Fallen enemies, a lot of them have arc shields, and it can take a stupid amount of non-arc gunfire to bring them down. Hooray Fatebringer! Hooray Song of Ir Yut!
  • Each encounter will start with a couple of enemies carrying the new Scorcher Cannon. Kill these dudes, and you can use the cannon yourself. They’re fun, and you’ll probably want to grab the first one you see and start wasting enemies with it. Resist the temptation and save your ammo for the boss. Scorcher Cannons are really powerful, but they have a limited number of rounds, so don’t waste them on enemies the other players could take out normally. No one likes the rookie who shows up and starts wasting precious scorcher rounds on scrubs.
  • Enemies can no longer be damaged while they’re hanging from dropships. If you’ve defended a warsat or fifty in your time as a guardian, you’ll know that’s a minor game-changer. No more firing rockets to clear out a bunch of dudes before they even hit the ground. You’ll have to fight them straight-up.
  • Time is a factor. If you take too long to beat one of the bosses, they’ll lose interest in the fight and bail. Be sure everyone is focusing fire at once. Jason and I let a boss slip through our fingers, and it was a bummer.
  • Once you defeat the bounty boss, keep an eye on everyone else you were fighting alongside. That can be the easiest way to find the chest.
  • You don’t actually need a bounty to get the chest; you can just go and kill the bosses on your own to get ether keys.
  • It sounds like it’s possible to loot each chest more than once. Once you’ve opened a chest, quickly hop on your sparrow and travel to an adjoining region. Check your Ghost to make sure you’ve left the original area, then quickly double back and raid the chest again. I haven’t gotten this to work yet, but a few commenters are reporting that it’s doable. Nice.

Yeah, I was just doing patrol on the Moon and stumbled into the new Anchor of Light event. Then I got the bounty and did it again. For the first time, I had no idea where the chest was and I don't think the other people that were there found it either.

It is definitely preferable to do these in a 3-man fireteam so you can spread out and look for the chest. Plus it helps to have 3+ people to take down the bosses. The one on Anchor of Light is much like the Rocketyard one with the quickly regenerating arc shields. Me and one other guy had a tough time with him by ourselves though we got it done. It also helps to have G-horn, as always. I was still doing a Super Good Advice bounty so I had a void machine gun equipped the first time. When I went back it was 3 of us and at least 2 had G-horn so we wrecked him pretty quickly. The Scorch cannon is nice to play with, but it still doesn't match up to the Ghally.

FYI - the Skywatch one is the best to triple-dip on the chest. First of all, the area is small so it usually doesn't take long to find the chest. Then you can just backtrack into the tunnels and you switch areas just after one hallway so you can come back quickly. When you have to jet down a road to the next area you can only squeeze 2 in. And then both areas on the moon are so huge you might not be able to find them at all. I just hope they don't put them up on the Accelerator or inside the buildings in either area.

BrolyB593 said:
This seems to be the best resource to learn all the possible chest locations. It has a map as well as individual clips of each one's location while in game.

http://www.inquisitr.com/2093754/destiny-where-to-find-pack-of-wolves-chests-for-queens-wrath-bounties/
Thanks - yeah, I found 2 of those with my other two characters. It is good to know there is nothing in the upper building complex, though. One is hidden way out behind where the Walker spawns. And the first time I was in there some dude was trying to jump way up on the building on the left side where the Servitor spawns. There is a ghost up there I think and I thought he knew the chest was up there so I wasted time. According to this site it is right where the Captain/Vandal spawn so no need to jump up on top of the antenna.

I love how the Bungie tweet they quote there shows a picture of a 5 stack of keys and says you can only carry 5 - vault the rest! Yeah, right. I've opened at least 14-16 chests, some of them multiple times each, and not gotten one key yet. So I've probably had 30 chances. I don't think overflowing a stack of 5 is going to be an issue. Unless this is like Hunger of Crota and I get one per 100 chances or something while everyone else gets tons.

On the other hand, I keep getting special and heavy synths and planetary mats that I DON'T FREAKING NEED. They are annoyingly taking up the last few spots of my inventory. I keep having to shuffle stuff around to stack them together on one character. Oh yeah, I haven't gotten any legendaries yet either - lots and lots of blues though...

But dammit, I feel like I need to grind these at least until I get ONE stupid key.

I hope so, that means I will get plenty of keys then!! ; P
Yeah they definitely are not... I was farming all last night and didnt get a single one.

If you want to farm planetary materials however that seems the most fun way because you get a good amount as well as other stuff. Since I havent played in forever I was actually pretty much empty on all of them and so it worked out for me that way at least!

I had no luck finding the moon chest after the queens target bounty was killed. I think I found it once out of like 4-5 times.

Is anyone going to be on later tonight? I still need Crota and the VoG.

BrolyB593 said:
Yeah they definitely are not... I was farming all last night and didnt get a single one.

If you want to farm planetary materials however that seems the most fun way because you get a good amount as well as other stuff. Since I havent played in forever I was actually pretty much empty on all of them and so it worked out for me that way at least!
OMFG NO! I don't know what Bungie was thinking giving us planetary mats and stupid synths. I am overflowing with those and you can't delete the damn synths. I'm wondering now if I didn't get any keys (after opening at least 40 chests including doubles) because I didn't have any slots left in my consumables. But does it show up there or in the materials area like the Trials coins do? And more importantly, do they overflow to the post? anyone know?

By the way, I'm well over 1000 hours into this game and I never realized there was a daily Crucible match until last night :lol:. What did it give for rewards before the Trials coins? Then again, I ignored Crucible entirely until a few Iron Banners ago and then I only did that and not regular Crucible.

So I was farming the stupid chests and got so many blues on one character I overflowed my postmaster and lost a couple of exotics and other items I had been saving there. So I decided now that each time I farm I will clear all but 2 rows by simply deleting the blues. And then I have to make myself return after maybe 2 double-dippings since I'll usually be close to full again by then. I'm also using the telemetries I had held on to for so long even though I have no weapons to upgrade. And I'm just using special and heavy synths whenever I can. And I'm deleting most of my planetary stacks beyond the first 200. It was freaking stupid of them to cap those at 200 while other things (like weapon parts) can go past 1000.

I do have 1 or 2 legendary engrams to decode at least. I got one yesterday that was an "old style" engram because I was able to decode it (turned into a helmet I crushed). So not all the stuff you get from the chests are DLC engrams.

So apparently you need these keys to open a guaranteed exotic and/or legendary drop at the end of the Prison of Elders? And also you only get one for free - the rest you have to get through this ridiculous farming method?

Last night I redeemed all my Vanguard and Crucible marks and bumped each character up 2-3 ranks in their factions. I got the Nineveh shader for Future War Cult. I'm not thrilled with that one - I like a lot of the rare ones I had to delete to make room in my Vault better. But the awesome thing was that I got the Fermi Solution ship from Dead Orbit. Check it out on my Warlock when you get the chance - it is pretty sweet.

What Queen's Wrath is back...shoot, that's what I get for not checking in here daily like I used to.  

Witcher 3 might not arrive on release date for me, if that's the case I'll be sure to jump on HoW.

LinkinPrime said:
What Queen's Wrath is back...shoot, that's what I get for not checking in here daily like I used to.

Witcher 3 might not arrive on release date for me, if that's the case I'll be sure to jump on HoW.
If all you want to do is knock out the bounties that should be easy to do pretty quickly. You might as well get that done today.

So I got the new bounty on Archer's Line. The chest ended up on top of the Accelerator so no way was I going to double dip on that one. Then I went to Anchor of Light and double dipped on a chest there. Then I went to Skywatch and double and then triple-dipped on one. Then I went back to the Tower to clear stuff out and went back again and then triple and quadruple dipped at Skywatch. All 4 times I was at Skywatch the chest spawned behind the fence right near the entrance which made it quick to get out and back in.

So that is, what, 15 chest attempts. Still no freaking key. I'd like to get one per character if possible but at the rate I'm going I'll just be happy to get 1 total. And Vendetta knows someone who got 5 yesterday. Unbelievable.

I still have to run my other 2 characters through the new bounty. Turning them all in with the Nightfall bonus puts you at Queen's Wrth rank 1 1/4 by the way - so well short of being able to get the shaders. It sucks they didn't let people who went through the original Queen's Wrath event keep their ranking. It wouldn't have made much difference but at least I'd have been able to get the second shader which I think was rank 4 last time and I ended up like 12 points short of that.

I'm really curious to see how they handle reset vs. this new 10am thing they seem to be doing. It would be nice to clear out all the crap blue engrams at reset and not have to wait till 10am. Then I could spend some time doing inventory management before the new content hits. And what are they going to do with the Nightfall? I guess they'll just give us an old one and either change it at 10am or just run with that all week and save the new strike for next week. I forget exactly what they did for TDB because we jumped right into the Raid at reset and spent like 6 hours on that and called it a night (we got to Crota but couldn't beat him with our level 30's). But I thought Omnigul was the Nightfall that week.

Yea, I have had no luck with the keys either and I have a million blue engrams to deal with in inventory along with too many guns.  They said that these keys will just give you another shot at getting a reward at the end of PoE in a given week.  You still have to run through the entire thing because you can only use one key per clear.  Oh well, it would be nice to score one, but I'm not going to farm the sites for them at this point.

Haven't really done much this week outside of the NF and weekly.  Trying to get my marks maxed in crucible, and get to level 3 as well.  Need to break down some guns and armor to make some room.  Tuesday will be nuts.  Was reading some stuff on planetdestiny and there are really a ton of new weapon and armor sets coming out.  Vault space will be impossible to manage.

I guess I'll have to give up on my alternate VoG and Crota armor if I want to get this new stuff. I mean, I have various pieces with different rolls for different situations (all INT, all DISC, a mix of both, etc). Plus with the Crota gear some of it has random other perks. It is going to get crazy.

Well, I ended up with three keys all together - one on each character. I got one earlier this evening and then two pretty quickly tonight though I spent a while farming afterwards and didn't get any more. On my Warlock I cleared out (or lost) everything in my post except blue engrams which makes it nice - I can just keep getting more and they'll just scroll off the top ;). No legendaries in all my farming today though - I got like 3 of those yesterday (though one was an older version that I already decoded). And the nice thing about having a key on each character is that it saves a slot for more keys in my consumables. Otherwise they keep filling up with synths that you cannot delete. I keep trying to use them but I get way more than I can use. I actually capped out all my consumables slots (and glimmer) on my Warlock and was just getting Spinmetal from the chests at one point. Then I realized I was working on my 3rd stack of that so I deleted the last bit - leaving me with a mere 400 on that one character.

The damn material that they should be giving you in the chests or allowing you to buy with Vanguard/Crucible marks is the armor materials (plasteel, hadronic, sapphire wire). THAT stuff I never have enough of. I'd level up alternate armor to use up my planetary mats and glimmer but when I need 25 per node and only have 125 or so I don't want to waste it on that. So then I can't use my glimmer (I'm certainly not going to buy synths like I used to) OR my mats - just end up deleting the planetary mats now. Such a waste...

Hmmm... I've heard two different things about what the keys are used for.

1) It opens a special chest after the normal rewards (etheric light, armor core, weapon core, etc - fixed rewards based on the Prison of Elders level). This special chest has legendary/exotics.

2) It is the same key you get from completing PoE at any level once per week. What the key allows you to do is run the same level PoE ANOTHER time in the same week and open the end chest again. Otherwise you are locked out (just as you are with multiple Atheon/Crota run rewards). So it is sort of a way around the weekly reset.

If the latter is the case, I'm not sure how useful they will be because I don't necessarily see myself running it more than 3 times (once on each character) per level. We'll see...

Though honestly the latter version makes more sense - that is why they are rare drops. It might be nice to have a couple at the beginning because I could see running it with different groups multiple times the first few weeks.

Agreed that the latter makes more sense. Nice to have a way around the weekly limit.

Did anyone else get an Osiris coin? Looking to get a group of three together to give the Trials a go.

I guess tge servers will be spotty the rest of the day,. I just got kicked off before I could do the daily crucible event and can't get back on,

I have 3 coins and got a key today I wish you could exchange rose since I probably won't play either PoE or ToO.

It's been a while since I've seen a good Destiny dance video. This one has choreography, a light show, the works!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCByXrdI1F93U0P-_B-Xjukg
Hah, that was a good one! Was it you or someone else talking about a Destiny version of Safety Dance video once? Could someone link to the best one?

Hmmm... I've heard two different things about what the keys are used for.

1) It opens a special chest after the normal rewards (etheric light, armor core, weapon core, etc - fixed rewards based on the Prison of Elders level). This special chest has legendary/exotics.

2) It is the same key you get from completing PoE at any level once per week. What the key allows you to do is run the same level PoE ANOTHER time in the same week and open the end chest again. Otherwise you are locked out (just as you are with multiple Atheon/Crota run rewards). So it is sort of a way around the weekly reset.

If the latter is the case, I'm not sure how useful they will be because I don't necessarily see myself running it more than 3 times (once on each character) per level. We'll see...

Though honestly the latter version makes more sense - that is why they are rare drops. It might be nice to have a couple at the beginning because I could see running it with different groups multiple times the first few weeks.
I thought they confirmed it was to enable you to get treasure on a 2nd run in a given week. That said, I'm not sure I still understand how the loot works for PoE. Did they ever clarify that? There is an info post on planetdestiny that shows a ton of armor sets and new weapons, including new Iron Banner armor. I assume the weapon/armor core and etheric light will drop when you beat the final boss, but what can you actually get from the chest at the end?

The damn material that they should be giving you in the chests or allowing you to buy with Vanguard/Crucible marks is the armor materials (plasteel, hadronic, sapphire wire). THAT stuff I never have enough of. I'd level up alternate armor to use up my planetary mats and glimmer but when I need 25 per node and only have 125 or so I don't want to waste it on that. So then I can't use my glimmer (I'm certainly not going to buy synths like I used to) OR my mats - just end up deleting the planetary mats now. Such a waste...
Amen.

Apparently the Destiny Item Manager chrome extension is now showing which engrams are for HoW content so it might make inventory management a bit easier the next 24 hours or so.

Also make sure you do the daily crucible event on all 3 characters for ToO coins.

chubbyninja1319 said:
Agreed that the latter makes more sense. Nice to have a way around the weekly limit.

Did anyone else get an Osiris coin? Looking to get a group of three together to give the Trials a go.
The 3-man teams for both events make it more likely that we'll have to mix it up a bit so I don't mind making a CAG run. Though I was pretty bad the last time I did Skirmish so I don't know how well that will go ;).

And I guess that is another reason to have keys - it will allow me to do multiple PoE runs with different people instead of being all done Tues/Weds like I was in the past (though this week I left some Crota runs on the table).

This quote:

-Weekly Reset: On Tuesday, the normal Weekly/Daily Activities will not be available until after 10am PDT
from here: https://www.bungie.net/en/Forum/Post/121703802/0/0

clears up one question I had - so the new Nightfall/etc won't go live till 10am Tuesday. So I guess at reset tonight it will just be more key farming. It looks like we won't even have a new daily Crucible to run at 2am to get more Passage Coins.

Also, apparently the new legendary weapons are dropping from Crucible at this time:

https://www.bungie.net/en/Forum/Post/122246717/0/0

Well, this just makes it more confusing:

http://imgur.com/raVKLtB

So it does not give you a chance at second etheric light/cores, unfortunately. It is just a chance for a chest that has, what, exactly? I'm not sure it is worth going through PoE multiple times without being able to get etheric light and cores.

So... still not sure what good the keys are.

But if THIS is the case, then kind of both of those things I mentioned earlier are true. It is just for the extra chest but only good on multiple runs since you will get a key for the chest on your first run of the week.

Well, this just makes it more confusing:

http://imgur.com/raVKLtB

So it does not give you a chance at second etheric light/cores, unfortunately. It is just a chance for a chest that has, what, exactly? I'm not sure it is worth going through PoE multiple times without being able to get etheric light and cores.

So... still not sure what good the keys are.

But if THIS is the case, then kind of both of those things I mentioned earlier are true. It is just for the extra chest but only good on multiple runs since you will get a key for the chest on your first run of the week.
I didnt watch until the end of the actual event because of that idiot on the stream but I would assume first time you beat them each week you get your Etheric Light/Cores as guaranteed drops per completion (one per week). Then at the end or throughout the event there are chests in there that can be opened with keys that could contain those materials as well as other stuff?

I didnt watch until the end of the actual event because of that idiot on the stream but I would assume first time you beat them each week you get your Etheric Light/Cores as guaranteed drops per completion (one per week). Then at the end or throughout the event there are chests in there that can be opened with keys that could contain those materials as well as other stuff?
Well they never beat it so you didn't miss much, lol. They have been pretty tight lipped about how the PoE rewards come out but this summary is the best thing we have to go on now:

http://planetdestiny.com/prison-treasure-key-guide/

"Chance of rewarding Exotics, Legendary Queen Gear, Fallen Themed Cosmetics, Strange Coins, & Motes of Light" from the keys people are farming. Sounds a bit underwhelming to me especially with how notorious RNG operates.

I'm assuming the fan sites weren't allowed to release this info until now. Probably some sort of embargo.

GLOCKGLOCK said:
http://planetdestiny.com/prison-treasure-key-guide/

"Chance of rewarding Exotics, Legendary Queen Gear, Fallen Themed Cosmetics, Strange Coins, & Motes of Light" from the keys people are farming. Sounds a bit underwhelming to me especially with how notorious RNG operates.

I'm assuming the fan sites weren't allowed to release this info until now. Probably some sort of embargo.
Yeah, was just about to post this.

So the rewards listed for each level (the cores and etheric light) are guaranteed and don't need keys and are once per week.

There is another chest with that stuff you quoted and that can be opened multiple times if you have keys. But yeah, I can see just getting motes from that which would be pretty underwhelming.

I'm also wondering if it is worth saving the keys for the 34/35 level event or if this is like the VoG/Crota exotic drops where difficulty does not matter

Well I am going to finish maxing out my crucible marks on my warlock tonight then do some housekeeping on my inventory finally.  Get my daily events done and maybe grind some chests.  I'm tempted to take a sick day tomorrow, but with this not going live until 1pm eastern it would be kind of a waste, and who knows if it will be live right from the get go anyways.  Although with all the content already on our hard drives there shouldn't be any snags.

Am I right that you can get to max light level with just 3 etheric light and an ascended exotic?  That is kind of funny after how much you had to grind in the base game and then in TDB to get to max level.  All you need is a couple lucky drops and you could be Level 34 on day 1. 

I saw you have to run all the PoE challenge modes on each character to get the max rewards.  9 clears a week plus however many other times you want to run it to use your farmed keys.  If you don't like horde mode, you better learn to like it...

Looking forward to running most of this stuff with some CAGs tomorrow and the rest of the week so hit me up for whatever.  I think I have played with most of you before or at least added everyone.  LFG sites will probably be a bit dicey for the next few weeks anyways.

Also read something interesting about PoE rewards not stacking... as in how they stack in raids (skipping normal for double loot drops on hard).

If you want maximum lootage, you'll need to run PoE on each difficulty at least once to get those rewards...

The Grind is Real Guardians

Also read something interesting about PoE rewards not stacking... as in how they stack in raids (skipping normal for double loot drops on hard).

If you want maximum lootage, you'll need to run PoE on each difficulty at least once to get those rewards...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjWAWcx4xdE

aFrostyONE said:

Yeah, that is definitely a thing which makes me wonder how useful the extra keys really are. As it is we'll have 9 PoE activities per week. Though in the beginning we probably won't be able to finish the 34/35 ones so maybe it will be good to use the keys on multiple level 32 runs the first week or two.

Yeah, that is definitely a thing which makes me wonder how useful the extra keys really are. As it is we'll have 9 PoE activities per week. Though in the beginning we probably won't be able to finish the 34/35 ones so maybe it will be good to use the keys on multiple level 32 runs the first week or two.
You are assuming we'll have time to play PoE multiple times after spending hours farming chests for spare keys. I still haven't found one. :(

simosaurus said:
You are assuming we'll have time to play PoE multiple times after spending hours farming chests for spare keys. I still haven't found one. :(
If you want to farm for them a bit later I know a pretty efficient way. I can be on around 7-8 Pacific. There is a Cosmodrome patrol bounty and some other bounties to work on at the same time.

Wolves public events/bounties are fun.   Wish I would have read up on these mystery chests before I started...LOL.   They're a mess to find, even with the guides.   Out of 3 PE I found one chest with nothing good really.  So these special keys show up on chests?  If so, what do you do they open?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back