Devi Ever CONSOLE II Cartridge Based Guitar Pedal

azel

CAGiversary!
As a fan of both vintage games and guitar effects pedals, I find this to be pretty much the coolest thing in the world:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/deviever/console-ii-cartridge-based-multi-fx-guitar-pedal

If you're not familiar, Devi Ever makes handmade guitar effects pedals (primarily fuzz) in Portland, Oregon. She's made stuff from everyone to Nine Inch Nails, Depeche Mode, ZZ Top, Nels Cline, Wilco, The Black Keys, Playstation Music Group at Sony, to My Bloody Valentine...

The concept is thoroughly described in the Kickstarter, but it's a dual cartridge based guitar effects pedal. You can swap out two pedals at a time. It's entirely analog and will likely use most of Devi's existing repertoire of effects, provided it's a success.

Anyhow, I sent over $250 - which gets you the base "console" system plus two effects cartridges. The goal is $20K, and I would LOVE to see this happen.

So any guitarists/keyboardists/bassists/fuzz nerds out there, THIS MEANS YOU!

before I read anything I imagined an effects pedal that somehow used game carts (like atari or nes) to create unique distortion/etc effects. Guess that would be rather complicated though. This is neat though.

[quote name='bordjon']before I read anything I imagined an effects pedal that somehow used game carts (like atari or nes) to create unique distortion/etc effects. Guess that would be rather complicated though. This is neat though.[/QUOTE]

Actually, that's exactly what it is! :D

devi
how does the use of the carts alter the signal path? I'm assuming it's all staying in the analog world which leads me to believe that there would be some signal loss (though perhaps insignificant) along the way.
For whatever reason I keep imagining those Elektra guitars from the late 70's to early 80's that had effects carts in the body...

[quote name='nasum']devi
how does the use of the carts alter the signal path? I'm assuming it's all staying in the analog world which leads me to believe that there would be some signal loss (though perhaps insignificant) along the way.
For whatever reason I keep imagining those Elektra guitars from the late 70's to early 80's that had effects carts in the body...[/QUOTE]

No tone loss.

The carts are quite literally whatever the designer wants them to be, only limited by the space within the cartridge.

In my case, I'll be releasing my entire small pedal line via cartridges and they will practically be a one for one clone of the standalone pedals.

So, if you had a Soda Meiser and Torn's Peaker in the Console II, it'd be just like having a Soda Meiser and Torn's Peaker on a pedal board next to each other... of course with the added benefit of three more controls each and mixing ability. :)

If anything they'll be -more- "hifi" since you won't have an external cord running between the two units like you would if they were normal pedals.

Well I was imagining plugging my atari 2600 copy of Moon Patrol into a stompbox and my electric guitar into the same stompbox and getting some unique effect coming out my amp. Then unplugging Moon Patrol and plugging in my E.T. cart and getting some other unique effect. Like some gadgetry inside the stompbox could read the info off the atari Moon Patrol cart and convert it into some weird effect for the guitar. I realize this is sorta fantasyland and pixie dust and all but I was just commenting on what I imagined from reading the thread title. Looks like a neat project nonetheless - best of luck with it!

[quote name='bordjon']Well I was imagining plugging my atari 2600 copy of Moon Patrol into a stompbox and my electric guitar into the same stompbox and getting some unique effect coming out my amp. Then unplugging Moon Patrol and plugging in my E.T. cart and getting some other unique effect. Like some gadgetry inside the stompbox could read the info off the atari Moon Patrol cart and convert it into some weird effect for the guitar. I realize this is sorta fantasyland and pixie dust and all but I was just commenting on what I imagined from reading the thread title. Looks like a neat project nonetheless - best of luck with it![/QUOTE]

You know, interestingly enough, at the end of the day the pin outs of the cartridges don't necessarily even have to involve a guitar signal.

I'm looking forward to someone developing a mini disco ball cartridge personally. :)

Or MIDI adapter if you want to get "crazy" but be practical.

Seriously... sky is the limit. :)

Why hello there!

86TPN.png

The Kickstarter just broke the $20k mark, which means if it stays past that point in 10 days, we are on like donkey kong, but for now we are not quite in the clear yet. People can still back out at the last minute, so for those who want a chance to get in on the Console, to help contribute, but don't have the moolah. We are doing a "share and win" give-a-way for a CONSOLE III over at facebook :

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...=a.101906413192873.703.101391646577683&type=1

MANY more pedal builders have gotten on board for future develop of Console cartridges!

3Leaf Audio
Amptweaker
Analogman
Blakemore Effects
Caroline Guitar Company
Dr. Scientist
Dwarfcraft
EarthQuaker Devices
Elktronics
Fairfield Circuitry
GHE Effects
Ghost Effects
Infanem
Jack Deville
Maritime Analog
Ohnoho
Paul Trombetta
Resonant Electronic Design
R3FX
Shoe Pedals
smallsound / bigsound
Wampler

ONE WEEK LEFT TO CONTRIBUTE TO THE KICKSTARTER!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/deviever/console-ii-cartridge-based-multi-fx-guitar-pedal

I'm quite tempted but you know the big thing is the sound. Any demos available? I suppose I could listen to some of the stand alone pedals but I'd want to be sure it is being reproduced faithfully. Don't know if you've actually got one of these up and running yet but I'd think at least a prototype.

[quote name='crystalklear64']I'm quite tempted but you know the big thing is the sound. Any demos available? I suppose I could listen to some of the stand alone pedals but I'd want to be sure it is being reproduced faithfully. Don't know if you've actually got one of these up and running yet but I'd think at least a prototype.[/QUOTE]

They'll sound exactly the same as the stand alone because it uses exactly the same parts. :)

This is pretty much the delay we are doing for the Console... but without the hold foot switch.... and yes, that means we'll have a mode flipswitch on the cartridge itself... plus we are adding a SQUAREWAVE modulation flipswitch, and a cute oscillating LED on the cart itself. Most likely this bugger will be $75 after kickstarter, so get on board now while it's cheap > http://kck.st/LIZgbT

OJPVM.jpg

I figure since we are well on our way to surpassing the goal for the final day of the kickstarter, we might as well give ya'll something to celebrate about, with us, if we can take this all the way and break $30k.

Kickstarter of course is here : http://kck.st/LIZgbT

For those of you who might not remember, our previous successful kickstarter was the SILVER ROSE, which was a monstrous combination of the IC Big Muff (made famous for old Smashing Pumpkins tones) and the Super Fuzz (used by everyone from the Black Keys to The Who).

6U61N.png

Well, it'd be impractical to put both of those on one cart, so I figure... if we can make it to $30k, we'll offer each one as an individual cart (with expanded controls, of course).

That means you could choose from these two carts to go along with your Console II or Console III and have your own modular version of the Silver Rose. :)

THANK YOU ALL ONCE AGAIN... and we are so excited to provide you all with fuzzy goodness!

P.S. Come join us at the new devi ever forums to discuss the Console : FX platform and more : www.deviever.com/forum/

EMPRESS EFFECTS IS ON BOARD TO DEVELOP CARTRIDGES!

Empress Effects says : "We haven't done anything really out there with Empress, so I figured the Console would be an interesting place to try something out."

I'm glad developers are getting what this is all about! It's not too late to get in on the kickstarter!!!!

Also, check out what very well might be the final perfboard (for DIYers) layout and cartridge enclosure design.

QFqX3.png

bread's done
Back