Devil May Cry 3 Harder Than Ninja Gaiden?

False Hope

CAGiversary!
My friend's birthday is coming soon (March 10th) and I want to get him a good game. Seeing as how we both love the DMC series, I think DMC 3 would be appropriate, however I have been told by the few who have played it that it is indeed harder than Ninja Gaiden (pre-Hurricane Pack). If this is so, then should I reconsider? Ninja Gaiden is a very frustrating game if you don't learn how to play it well. So can I get a few more opinions on its (DMC 3) difficulty and possibly suggestions for other (good) games?

dmc 3 is very hard...i haven't played ninja gaiden but i've got dmc 3 and it is no walk in the park

there are no checkpoints, so you will have to start the whole mission over if you die

[quote name='gsr']dmc 3 is very hard...i haven't played ninja gaiden but i've got dmc 3 and it is no walk in the park

there are no checkpoints, so you will have to start the whole mission over if you die[/quote]

What? This BETTER not be as hard as Ninja Gaiden. If so, I'm probably not getting it. I don't care how fun it is, all that frustration cancels it out for me...

[quote name='XboxMaster']What? This BETTER not be as hard as Ninja Gaiden. If so, I'm probably not getting it. I don't care how fun it is, all that frustration cancels it out for me...[/quote]

I agree, I got so pissed off at NG when I first played it that it took me almost a year before I wanted to go back and played it. And even then I put in a code that gave me infinite lives. Still hard as hell but at least I don't have to worry about game overs.

Developers really need to start taking avarage/below avarage gamers in to consideration. We play games for fun, not to smash our our controlers and yell at the TV.

yeah, they have been saying that DMC3 is as hard as NG, but the level o difficulty is scarthered around. Onepart may be easy, one part may be super hard. The cool thing is that you could unlock easy mode if you die too much.

[quote name='CapAmerica'][quote name='XboxMaster']What? This BETTER not be as hard as Ninja Gaiden. If so, I'm probably not getting it. I don't care how fun it is, all that frustration cancels it out for me...[/quote]

I agree, I got so pissed off at NG when I first played it that it took me almost a year before I wanted to go back and played it. And even then I put in a code that gave me infinite lives. Still hard as hell but at least I don't have to worry about game overs.

Developers really need to start taking avarage/below avarage gamers in to consideration. We play games for fun, not to smash our our controlers and yell at the TV.[/quote]

That's what they tried to do with DMC2, and we all remember how that turned out...

Ninja Gaiden's Hard mode is Devil May Cry 3's Normal mode. And I love it, great game! If he likes DMC, then he will love this, other than that you could pre-order God of War for him :)

yeah..i doubt it's harder then NG....that game at points was so awfully cheap and the camera angles never helped me out a bit...i always enjoyed DMC's camera. I think I should be ok :)

HA! What a bunch of new-school sissy's! Ninja Gaiden wasn't THAT hard. Knuckle up people. Why are you folks so afraid of a challenge?

Look, I don't want a game to be unplayable, but NG was a good old school quality challenge. It wasn't a pushover, it was a challenge and you felt like you really accomplished something when the credits rolled.

[quote name='Lucky13']HA! What a bunch of new-school sissy's! Ninja Gaiden wasn't THAT hard. Knuckle up people. Why are you folks so afraid of a challenge?

Look, I don't want a game to be unplayable, but NG was a good old school quality challenge. It wasn't a pushover, it was a challenge and you felt like you really accomplished something when the credits rolled.[/quote]

I don't play video games to feel I accomplished something, I play them because I find them enjoyable and NG was anything but that to me.

[quote name='Lucky13']HA! What a bunch of new-school sissy's! Ninja Gaiden wasn't THAT hard. Knuckle up people. Why are you folks so afraid of a challenge?

Look, I don't want a game to be unplayable, but NG was a good old school quality challenge. It wasn't a pushover, it was a challenge and you felt like you really accomplished something when the credits rolled.[/quote]

If I want to accomplished something, I'll go build a car or do something that I can show off in the end. A Finished game or a top score isn't something woth showing off.

I'm loving it so far, its hard as hell. WHAT THE HELL was up with that second boss. I was all like "Oh so this is like an old school game, its hard"

Dunno about everyone else but it doesn't seem that hard to me. Although I'm not that far into the game. I just beat the three headed dog monster and he didnt seem that bad.

Ninja Gaiden wasn't as hard as it was purely awesome. There were a few points in NG that were real groin grabbers, but much of the game I felt was the perfect difficulty.

From what I understand, Devil May Cry 3 is harder than a coffin nail.

From 1-up.com

"The difference between the grueling difficulty of something like this (dmc3) and a similar game, like Ninja Gaiden on Xbox, is that DMC3's challenge is artificial. Stages, and bosses, are brutally unfair, and the game lacks any sort of checkpoint system, forcing you to replay failed missions from scratch."

A hard difficulty wouldn't be that bad if you didn't have to play through the entire level again...but you do in this game. I am sure I will buy it eventually, but probably not until it is very cheap

just a couple of things here

no one plays video games to "accomplish" anything...doing something to further your existence on this planet is "accomplishing" something, not beating a crummy video game

you do realize that some of us have lives and actually work 40+ hours/week right?

well, believe it or not, if you beat a tough as nails game their is a feeling of accomplishment. it might not change the world, but it feels great!

[quote name='xspeedracerx']From 1-up.com

"The difference between the grueling difficulty of something like this (dmc3) and a similar game, like Ninja Gaiden on Xbox, is that DMC3's challenge is artificial. Stages, and bosses, are brutally unfair, and the game lacks any sort of checkpoint system, forcing you to replay failed missions from scratch."[/quote]

Ninja Gaiden does not have a check point system either, so I do not know how a check point system is relevant to their claim that the game is cheaper than Ninja Gaiden in that regard

[quote name='CaseyRyback'][quote name='xspeedracerx']From 1-up.com

"The difference between the grueling difficulty of something like this (dmc3) and a similar game, like Ninja Gaiden on Xbox, is that DMC3's challenge is artificial. Stages, and bosses, are brutally unfair, and the game lacks any sort of checkpoint system, forcing you to replay failed missions from scratch."[/quote]

Ninja Gaiden does not have a check point system either, so I do not know how a check point system is relevant to their claim that the game is cheaper than Ninja Gaiden in that regard[/quote]
There is save points within Ninja Gaidens missions.

[quote name='gsr'][quote name='Lucky13']HA! What a bunch of new-school sissy's! Ninja Gaiden wasn't THAT hard. Knuckle up people. Why are you folks so afraid of a challenge?

no one plays video games to "accomplish" anything...doing something to further your existence on this planet is "accomplishing" something, not beating a crummy video game

you do realize that some of us have lives and actually work 40+ hours/week right?[/quote]

i disagree with you.....so you mean to tell me that it doesn't make you feel good when you beat a hard game or get a high score or beat your friend in a co-op game? Those are all reasons why we play games. Do you mean to tell me you'd play a game where you can just blow right through it w/o a challenge? Come on, go play mary kate and ashley then go save the planet or something. oh, btw.....i'm a grown man, with a career, a family, going for my MBA, and the nuggets to take on a hard game and not bitch about it.

p.s. please don't take this too seriously. I'm just from the old school of video games and think it's funny how some of the newer gamers don't really know what a "hard" game is.

[quote name='xspeedracerx'][quote name='CaseyRyback'][quote name='xspeedracerx']From 1-up.com

Ninja Gaiden does not have a check point system either, so I do not know how a check point system is relevant to their claim that the game is cheaper than Ninja Gaiden in that regard[/quote]
There is save points within Ninja Gaidens missions.[/quote]

I must not remember them. I only played a small part of the game to (up through mission 5 I believe)

[quote name='Lucky13'][quote name='gsr'][quote name='Lucky13']HA! What a bunch of new-school sissy's! Ninja Gaiden wasn't THAT hard. Knuckle up people. Why are you folks so afraid of a challenge?

you do realize that some of us have lives and actually work 40+ hours/week right?[/quote]

i disagree with you.....so you mean to tell me that it doesn't make you feel good when you beat a hard game or get a high score or beat your friend in a co-op game? Those are all reasons why we play games. Do you mean to tell me you'd play a game where you can just blow right through it w/o a challenge? Come on, go play mary kate and ashley then go save the planet or something. oh, btw.....i'm a grown man, with a career, a family, going for my MBA, and the nuggets to take on a hard game and not bitch about it.

p.s. please don't take this too seriously. I'm just from the old school of video games and think it's funny how some of the newer gamers don't really know what a "hard" game is.[/quote]

Never said that I'd play a game that i can blow through..

I'm just saying that some folks might be put off by the tremendous difficulty of this game and some folks play video games for fun..we're not trying to accomplish anything

I thought Shinobi on the PS2 was pretty frustrating, almost broke the controller couple of times while playing it.

The vast majority of games released are cupcakes, so I don't think anyone should bitch too much about NG, DMC3, or similar games. Newer/younger gamers will usually be turned off, but that's not who these types of games are made for anyway. I enjoy a great challenge.

[quote name='CaseyRyback'][quote name='xspeedracerx']

I must not remember them. I only played a small part of the game to (up through mission 5 I believe)[/quote]

You should have went farther, that game was amazing.

Checkpoints in Ninja Gaiden were few and far between, though. Shinobi had no checkpoints throughout the levels either, though they did have an automatic temp save before bosses (unfortunately, I never beat the last boss, so I'd have to replay the last level every time I even wanted to try)

[quote name='alongx'][quote name='CaseyRyback'][quote name='xspeedracerx']

I must not remember them. I only played a small part of the game to (up through mission 5 I believe)[/quote]

You should have went farther, that game was amazing.

Checkpoints in Ninja Gaiden were few and far between, though. Shinobi had no checkpoints throughout the levels either, though they did have an automatic temp save before bosses (unfortunately, I never beat the last boss, so I'd have to replay the last level every time I even wanted to try)[/quote]

I am getting another Xbox within the next week, and I already have a copy of Ninja Gaiden sitting on my shelf

[quote name='CapAmerica']Developers really need to start taking avarage/below avarage gamers in to consideration. We play games for fun, not to smash our our controlers and yell at the TV.[/quote]
Developers DO take into consideration average gamers...

I donno what to call the kind of games they make for u guys

but I definately know those kind of games are not called Devil may Cry 3.

I love difficult games, my only wish would be that every game was so hard...

I just played it and the yellow orbs aren't the same as in DMC 1 and 2. The yellow orbs still take you back to the beginning of the level when you die. Is just that is keeps you items, weapon collected, orbs, and exp. Cool game, better than DMC2 so far.

[quote name='twanky']I thought Shinobi on the PS2 was pretty frustrating, almost broke the controller couple of times while playing it.[/quote]

No kidding Ninja Gaiden was a cakewalk for me but I struggled through Shinobi's uber cheapness. After reading through this thread I gotta laugh, what a bunch of whiny babies. If you don't like hard games don't even try it, one problem solved. Devil May Cry 2 was super easy and it is one of the most spit on games released today for that very reason.

[quote name='thagoat']well, believe it or not, if you beat a tough as nails game their is a feeling of accomplishment. it might not change the world, but it feels great![/quote]
Couldn't have said it better myself. Nothing beats that feeling. :)

i havent played dmc3 yet, but as for ninja gaiden....once i mastered the art of blocking, the game was a piece of cake....did i die a lot? yeah, but it was nowhere near the horror story that everyone else cries about

[quote name='gsr']p.s. please don't take this too seriously. I'm just from the old school of video games and think it's funny how some of the newer gamers don't really know what a "hard" game is.[/quote]

Never said that I'd play a game that i can blow through..

I'm just saying that some folks might be put off by the tremendous difficulty of this game and some folks play video games for fun..we're not trying to accomplish anything[/quote]

Point taken.....and to your point about working 40+ hours, it is tough. I don't have a lot of time to play games and I have a major backlog going. I was thinking of getting DMC3, but I just don't have the time to play it, regardless if its hard or easy.

Hard games are better than easy games. Frankly, I'm sick of the care bear difficulty that most games have these days.

I believe that the fluffy difficulties is because developers don't take the time to make the "hard" difficulty truly hard and the "easy" difficulty truly easy. They just tweak some little things here and there and then slap on the word "easy" or "hard" when there is hardly a difference between the two.

Worst of all is when "hard" difficulties equate to cheap tactics by the com.

In relevance to all that has been said, Ninja Gaiden is NOT a game, it is a test of your patience. I'm persistant so I never threw down my controller throughout the time I had it, but I think the mechanics of the game are awfully cheap. The enemies were tough enough without punishing people who like to explore (due to constant respawning). I was NEVER able to use my essence for anything other than Spirit Elixers, most of which I ended up having to use right after buying them.
And the camera kicks it all in the nuts because it was no help. All in all, however, it felt pretty good to finally beat some sections and some bosses.

P.S.: Someone acknowledge my friend here. He's a dumb-ass looking over my shoulder and he keeps telling me to type stupid stuff. In fact, you can disregard this entire post script. I'm just typing this to shut him up.

man ninja gaiden wasnt hard the only annoying bad guys where those ninjas thats it all the other guys were easy, those zombie army guys werent hard they just took off more life than ur usual enemy thats it and that girls sister was hard the 1st time u fought here thats it , now to me viewtiful joe was difficult and a test of patience especially with those bosses . Now I kno imma have fun with this difficulty in devil may cry 3 no problem . Didnt people say that part 1 was hard also It didnt seem to hard to me . If u cant take the heat dont even bother going into the kitchen . oh and I most definetly agree with lucky13 I do like to feel that I have accomplished something by beating a very hard game . It does make u feel better . If it didnt make u feel better then whats the point of playing a videogame.

All in all I think I might just wait to get DMC 3. I'll probably get him SCII and a couple other games.

About the difficulty of games... It's like a reader of PC Gamer once said. I, myself, will admit it. I am a little bitch. I'm not particularly keen to hard games but I'll play them. However (this part being in the words of the reader, but not the EXACT words) it would be great if developers all just made an easy mode (I'm not saying better, I'm saying great) It would be great for us gamers who simply want to get to know a story. I hate it that people with little skill are punished by not being able to see the CG cutscenes the makers put so much work in to. The same goes for the story. What good is a story untold simply because you can't manage to squeeze another attack in on a final boss? If they need to call it *ussy Mode, then let them, but some of us just aren't as good.

Ninja Gaiden was not that hard. I think gamers want games to be unchallenging these days. I found the most frustrating characters in Ninja Gaiden were the black ninjas with exploding ninja stars. But once I figured out how to block and counter their attacks they were a piece of cake to get through. They only gave me real trouble when the first appeared. The only boss that gave me trouble was the purple lady, forgot her name. She took me a bunch of tries to beat.

I beat Shinobi which I heard that gamers thought was hard. While some boss fights were difficult, I really only had trouble beating the last boss.

Same thing with the first DMC. I had trouble beating the Spider (1st time)and the last boss, but I found the rest of the game to be not that difficult and very fun and addictive. People say that this game is difficult also.

If you think a game is going to be to much of a challenge than do not buy it. I do not want games to be dumbed down because of people not up for a challenge. I for one am always up for a challenge and enjoy playing games that take some skill to finish.

[quote name='False Hope']All in all I think I might just wait to get DMC 3. I'll probably get him SCII and a couple other games.

About the difficulty of games... It's like a reader of PC Gamer once said. I, myself, will admit it. I am a little bitch. I'm not particularly keen to hard games but I'll play them. However (this part being in the words of the reader, but not the EXACT words) it would be great if developers all just made an easy mode (I'm not saying better, I'm saying great) It would be great for us gamers who simply want to get to know a story. I hate it that people with little skill are punished by not being able to see the CG cutscenes the makers put so much work in to. The same goes for the story. What good is a story untold simply because you can't manage to squeeze another attack in on a final boss? If they need to call it *ussy Mode, then let them, but some of us just aren't as good.[/quote]

I kinda agree with that statement. I love when a game is challenging but what does it hurt to throw in good difficulty settings? As i see it if you pay $50 for a game it should be a game you can play and accomplish. If you want a challenge thats where a harder difficulty setting should be in place. But those are just my two cents.

20050304l.jpg

[quote name='flybrione']Ninja Gaiden was not that hard. I think gamers want games to be unchallenging these days.
If you think a game is going to be to much of a challenge than do not buy it. I do not want games to be dumbed down because of people not up for a challenge. I for one am always up for a challenge and enjoy playing games that take some skill to finish.[/quote]

Agreed.

If you want to find an easier way to progress through the story and cinematics, read the game's FAQ, on well GameFAQs. It'll save you $50 too (if you are willingly paying retail, that's a whole other problem).

"I've been playing games with Gabriel for, oh, I'm going to say eleven years now - and not until Devil May Cry 3 have I seen him raise the controller back and hurl it across the room."
-Tycho ~ Penny-Arcade

[quote name='magilacudy'][quote name='CapAmerica']
Developers really need to start taking avarage/below avarage gamers in to consideration. We play games for fun, not to smash our our controlers and yell at the TV.[/quote]

May I suggest an easier game for you?

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/180720.asp

:wink:[/quote]

How is torture a easier game?

I'm just saying Developers shouldn't make games so freaken hard that avarage/below avarage gamers can't play them. Add Easy/Med/Hard/Really Hard. options don't just make the game Hard and Really Hard. I just play games for fun. I just like to pick the game up, sit back and enjoy. I didn't spend years mastering my skills, I may have been playing games for the last 20 years but I'm still just a avarage gamer. I can't memorize combos and I'm not super fast at hitting buttons in the right order. So sue me, its something that I've never been able to do. A Hard game hasn't stoped me from playing them. But It does sadly require me to put stupid codes in the game so I don't get 'game over' all the time.

I'm pretty much like you CapAmerica, except I don't put in codes to finish the game. I just try my best to finish it and if I can't then I just let my friends finish it. If they can't finish it...then I will give it some serious game time and finish it myself.

bread's done
Back