Devil May Cry Chronology

roedaniel19

CAGiversary!
So, I just ordered the Devil May Cry HD Collection, and was looking for advice on which order to play these games in. Any suggestions? From what I've read 3 is a prequel to 1, but does anyone who has played them suggest to play them in this order, or in order of release? Thanks in advance.

It goes like this: 3, 1, 4, and then 2. (I know 4 is not included, but it is still a solid title).

You don't really need to play it in any specific order, but it sorta might help playing 3 before 1 though. Keep in mind the combat system might feel a little outdated when you start playing 1 after 3. I honestly wouldn't even bother playing part 2 as it is just downright terrible.

[quote name='Rnm']It goes like this: 3, 1, 4, and then 2. (I know 4 is not included, but it is still a solid title).

You don't really need to play it in any specific order, but it sorta might help playing 3 before 1 though. Keep in mind the combat system might feel a little outdated when you start playing 1 after 3. I honestly wouldn't even bother playing part 2 as it is just downright terrible.[/QUOTE]

That's the deal, is I think maybe the story would be more cohesive, but I'm afraid playing 3 first will hamper my gameplay experience with 1. Is the story and tougher to follow playing them in order of release?

[quote name='roedaniel19']Is the story and tougher to follow playing them in order of release?[/QUOTE]

With a game like this, understanding the gameplay is far more vital than understanding the story. That said, I genuinely don't think you'll be confused by playing them out of chronological order. I felt that I followed them just fine as they were released.

That's the best decision. Also try really hard to trooper on through DMC2. It's really terrible compared to the rest of the series, but worth getting through in order to get to DMC3, which is just fantastic.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Zaku77']That's the best decision. Also try really hard to trooper on through DMC2. It's really terrible compared to the rest of the series, but worth getting to in order to get to DMC3, which is just fantastic.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I don't think I've ever appreciated a game more than I did DMC3 after playing through the second. Night and day, those two.

Yeah, as others have said, it goes 3, 1, 2, 4 in terms of the chronological order of the series' events. Funny enough, just like the MGS series. That said, the storyline is nowhere near as engrossing as most other games.

There's never more than a handful of characters and even though the third game in the series takes place before all others, its not hard to piece together and/or follow the events playing them in release order. Which brings up, yet again, another good point that was already mentioned... if you play them in release order, you'll come to appreciate how the series has evolved from game to game.

But yeah, you shouldn't have trouble following the story even if you played them in 4, 3, 2, 1 order, heh.

The only one I've ever played was 4. So, I'm looking forward to checking out how the games changed as each entry released. My favorite part of playing these collections.

[quote name='roedaniel19']The only one I've ever played was 4. So, I'm looking forward to checking out how the games changed as each entry released. My favorite part of playing these collections.[/QUOTE]
3 is so fun. ^_^

[quote name='cficare']Go play the original DMC3 for ps2. You will hate life.[/QUOTE]

Why do you say this? I've heard the difficulty is rough.

[quote name='Jack_Frost']DMC 3 is not hard, I STILL dont get how people think this...[/QUOTE]

On DMD mode, it surely is.

bread's done
Back