Devil May Cry Definitive Edition $29.99 Xbone/PS4

Really don't understand why everyone craps over this entry. It was a nice chance of pace in the style and environment department, not to mention the music was perfect. Really my only complaint was the control scheme, I wish the other weapons were toggled rather then having to hold them down.

Really don't understand why everyone craps over this entry. It was a nice chance of pace in the style and environment department, not to mention the music was perfect. Really my only complaint was the control scheme, I wish the other weapons were toggled rather then having to hold them down.
I would say it was mostly about the "politics" around the game more so than the game itself. It's an average game that got crapped on for having DMC in the title, and then only dug it's own grave further by huge egos of the company(and journalists covering the game) targeting fans and calling them losers. Additionally not buying it was more of a statement to Capcom than anything else.

But that's done and over with, they improved the game as much as they could with this release, and it's at least better than DMC2.

I liked the game - lot of people were put off by the 'ease' of the game, the lack of combos (in the sense of the DmC game) and how Dante is now blond. All of the above are/were not an issue for me - I dont give fuk about hair color. I liked the game, like I did the other DmC games; I'd buy it again (not just yet though) when it goes lower.

The die-hard fans didn't think Ninja Theory was up to the task of making the game based on their track record (Heavenly Sword, Enslaved) and figured the engine they were going to use wouldn't be capable of handling the framerate and speed necessary to make a good DMC game. To make matters worse, Capcom designers and the fans butted heads big time over the appearance of Dante...I remember people making comments about him looking "emo" and I guess in earlier builds of the game he was a chain-smoker and generally disrespectful, so again the fans saw it as destructive to the legacy of the character. 

In the end, the game didn't turn out as bad as people wanted to admit, but eh...change is hard. 

I picked it up for the first time on Xbox One a few months ago and really enjoy the game. I've always been a fan of Ninja Theory and have liked what they have done in the past and DmC was no exception. I don't get why people are so butt-hurt about Dante's hair either, Devil May Cry 1 and 3 were the only good games in the serious prior to DmC, which is IMO the best game in the series. Devil May Cry 2 and 4 both sucked, especially 2. I think Capcom did an excellent job with this remaster as well and it's definitely worth $30, but it'll probably hit $20 sooner than later. 

I still don't get why DMC4 wasn't released with it, like Metro: Redux did. Really, they should have ported the DMC 1-3 remasters into it and put all 5 games together. That, I would have bought, because I've only played DMC4 so far. With the impending mess of holiday releases, dropping $30 on a single remake just seems pointless. I'll save my $30 for another 2 weeks and get those 30 Rare games.

I still don't get why DMC4 wasn't released with it, like Metro: Redux did. Really, they should have ported the DMC 1-3 remasters into it and put all 5 games together. That, I would have bought, because I've only played DMC4 so far. With the impending mess of holiday releases, dropping $30 on a single remake just seems pointless. I'll save my $30 for another 2 weeks and get those 30 Rare games.
Knowing Capcom, they most likely wanted to compare sales of DMC4 SE and DmC(DmC) DE to choose how to proceed. They do things like that all the time. See also the MvC2 port(successful, led to MvC3 happening) and the Darkstalkers Ports(unsuccessful, darkstalkers remains dead)

This game isn't terrible, but it's also not amazing. The story sucks, the gameplay is decent, the world design and how it changes in real-time is amazing and its also the reason why it was running at 30 FPS on last-gen consoles. Was the trade-off worth it? Probably not, but the environments were the true highlight of the game for me on PS3. Even though I beat it on PS3, I may be willing to double dip a few years down the line and check it out again at 60 FPS.

Knowing Capcom, they most likely wanted to compare sales of DMC4 SE and DmC(DmC) DE to choose how to proceed. They do things like that all the time. See also the MvC2 port(successful, led to MvC3 happening) and the Darkstalkers Ports(unsuccessful, darkstalkers remains dead)
While I agree, I also think its not a fair comparison. This game is released both on disc and as a download, while DMC 4 SE is digital only in America. That's not a fair way to judge the sales of these two games. I really would have liked a disc for DMC 4 SE.

People hated the game because it tried too hard to be edgy, 30fps, terrible scripting even for Devil May Cry, invulnerable boss glitches, terrible lock-on, color coded enemies, game freezing and crashing, broken balancing with weapons, insufferable main characters, and rather than spoil it, there are a few choice cutscenes that sucked in particular like it was written by and angsty teen. That's the short list. The hair is just something that most people latched onto as a lazy argument against the above issues.

I'm more than happy to give out free samples of haterade, but there were a few things that I liked about the game. The animations of the attacks, pulling off attacks and combos were smooth, being able to weapon switch mid way into combos is something that should be implemented in future DMC games, and I liked the design of Vergil. How they structured the level score was on point too when it came to secret missions by having a special mission stage select once you found them as well as not making you re-find hidden orb locations.

I'd say this game is worth it at $10-15.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 60fps and turbo mode are worth buying if you bought the PS3 version. I played the PS3 version beat it and didn't touch the game again. When the DE came out it was so much more polished. The colors were fixed which made the game look like they put in some work. I ended up getting 1 trophy from the platinum and then went back to try and platinum the PS3 version. I could really tell the difference.

In other words game is worth the money.

Got it free on PS Plus for the PS3 its in my backlog, if I can play definitive games on the PS4 that I missed or is back logged I prefer to go with the PS4 editions. Like most others,

Capcom is full of shit. Those "testing the waters" releases are fucking lies. MvC3 didn't need people showing they still cared about the series with the digital download of MvC2. The game was always in development, and was always meant to be a vehicle to promote the Marvel movies and comics. Darkstalkers isn't being made because the company took a nosedive after a string of blunders and bad press. The only things with dedicated development time prior to Street Fighter V was DLC for SF IV or remastered editions of existing titles.

On topic:

DmC was pretty much trash on PS3, but this new version is decent enough to get at sub $20.

People hated the game because it tried too hard to be edgy, 30fps, terrible scripting even for Devil May Cry, invulnerable boss glitches, terrible lock-on, color coded enemies, game freezing and crashing, broken balancing with weapons, insufferable main characters, and rather than spoil it, there are a few choice cutscenes that sucked in particular like it was written by and angsty teen. That's the short list. The hair is just something that most people latched onto as a lazy argument against the above issues.

I'm more than happy to give out free samples of haterade, but there were a few things that I liked about the game. The animations of the attacks, pulling off attacks and combos were smooth, being able to weapon switch mid way into combos is something that should be implemented in future DMC games, and I liked the design of Vergil. How they structured the level score was on point too when it came to secret missions by having a special mission stage select once you found them as well as not making you re-find hidden orb locations.

I'd say this game is worth it at $10-15.
Oh man, thank you. I hate how the defense force for this game always latches onto the hair thing when they try to discredit haters. It's like they don't want to acknowledge the real reasons as to why the core fanbase of DMC disliked DmC. DmC wasn't a bad game, it was a bad DMC game, and Tameem's demeanor before the release of the game did NOT help.

I cant justify buying this at more than $20. I really wish Capcom had done a bundle with DMC4 for $40

Its too bad many's first experience with this was on the PS3. I played it on the PC and it played and looked amazing. The 60 fps makes a big difference. I tried the free version when it came to Plus and the downgrade wasnt worth it. Id definitely recommend it on the PS4 since it allegedly is on par with the PC version which was the true way to play it

Um no. MvC3 was in development before the MVC2 port ever even came out. They got the Marvel license back in 2008 and started working on the game then. Obviously it would take years to actually develop so they went and re-released the previous game in the meantime as something to profit off of. MvC2's port didnt lead to 3

Last edited by a moderator:
This game isn't terrible, but it's also not amazing. The story sucks, the gameplay is decent, the world design and how it changes in real-time is amazing and its also the reason why it was running at 30 FPS on last-gen consoles. Was the trade-off worth it? Probably not, but the environments were the true highlight of the game for me on PS3. Even though I beat it on PS3, I may be willing to double dip a few years down the line and check it out again at 60 FPS.

While I agree, I also think its not a fair comparison. This game is released both on disc and as a download, while DMC 4 SE is digital only in America. That's not a fair way to judge the sales of these two games. I really would have liked a disc for DMC 4 SE.
I have DMC 4 SE, on disc, in English. Enjoy!

bread's done
Back