Devil May Cry HD Collection $39.99 @ Amazon

DanteWarrior

CAGiversary!
Feedback
81 (100%)
This is the one collection I've been anxiously awaiting. Well this and Kingdom hearts. The industry sure knows how to take my money several times.

capcom HD remakes? hell yes

bought resident evil 4 HD first day. havent even bought crysis yet, but RE4 was a 1st day purchase.

DMC collection HD? hah! first day. the music in this game is off the hook, especially in the first one.

[quote name='giantqtipz']capcom HD remakes? hell yes

bought resident evil 4 HD first day. havent even bought crysis yet, but RE4 was a 1st day purchase.

DMC collection HD? hah! first day. the music in this game is off the hook, especially in the first one.[/QUOTE]
Well I hope you realize it's not really "HD," as it's just a sharpened resolution and tweaks in the user interface to look presentable on a 1080p TV. Reviews of RE4-HD criticized the game of being close to a lazy port, and I hope DMC-HD doesn't fall into the same criticisms.

Honestly I have never played DMC2 (and I still don't know if I want to) but DMC1 has not suffered too badly in age and DMC3, being developed late in the PS2 cycle, has always looked great (especially in cutscenes).

If the game dips down to $19.99, I'll bite and relive some great memories. Fans of hack 'n' slash games that have never played Devil May Cry 1 or 3 (or 4, for that matter) will be in for a treat with this collection!

So far I've gotten every HD collection for about $20. This will be no exception. These things always drop for a bit, I suggest waiting. Especially since most of us have already played them.

[quote name='Rumors']This is the one collection I've been anxiously awaiting. Well this and Kingdom hearts. The industry sure knows how to take my money several times.[/QUOTE]

A Kingdom Hearts HD Collection would be the only compilation release I would buy at full price/MSRP. :D

[quote name='hypertails02']Well I hope you realize it's not really "HD," as it's just a sharpened resolution and tweaks in the user interface to look presentable on a 1080p TV. Reviews of RE4-HD criticized the game of being close to a lazy port, and I hope DMC-HD doesn't fall into the same criticisms.

Honestly I have never played DMC2 (and I still don't know if I want to) but DMC1 has not suffered too badly in age and DMC3, being developed late in the PS2 cycle, has always looked great (especially in cutscenes).

If the game dips down to $19.99, I'll bite and relive some great memories. Fans of hack 'n' slash games that have never played Devil May Cry 1 or 3 (or 4, for that matter) will be in for a treat with this collection![/QUOTE]

It's Capcom. So sadly I have the expectation it will be another "lazy" port. However as long as it's not horrible I will still be glad to have them because I never played the PS2 games.

I'll probably wait until it's more like $19.99 though, especially if really is a lazy port. I don't want to reward them too much for shoddy work. If they did an A+ job I would get it day 1 just like God of War collection and Ico?SotC collection.

[quote name='MKScorpion']A Kingdom Hearts HD Collection would be the only compilation release I would buy at full price/MSRP. :D[/QUOTE]
I'll probably wait for a drop on this but excited nonetheless. But agreed on kingdom hearts.

So is everyone just going to skip over DMC2 when they play this?

I know it is notorious for being horrible, I am actually curious how horrible it really is.

[quote name='Rumors']I'll probably wait for a drop on this but excited nonetheless. But agreed on kingdom hearts.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, I'd like to think Square Enix would be willing to give a true HD release too compared to a simple uprez. I think I'd prefer if they went the MGS route and included KH 1, 2 and Birth by Sleep instead of Re: Chain of Memories.

I know it is notorious for being horrible, I am actually curious how horrible it really is.
I don't think it's HORRIBLE per say, it's definitely not as good as 1 or especially 3 but it's not outright terrible.

I have all 3 on PS2 but i'll end up getting this for 360.

I dunno what it is but I love getting these HD collections and playing them on systems they were never available for. It makes them feel new again for me.

While if I got them on the system succesor to what they were originally on, it just feels like im playing it on a old console. It's weird.

Waiting for a drop on this. Played DMC 4, but these might end up "too old" for me. Have Ico/SotC and need to decide whether I want to even bother with Ico. Don't know if I want to give RE4 another shot, either. And still need to finish Sly and PoP... I just have so many of these "classic collections". The only ones I finished were the two GoW ones, as they are super short.

[quote name='antlp89']So is everyone just going to skip over DMC2 when they play this?

I know it is notorious for being horrible, I am actually curious how horrible it really is.[/QUOTE]
It's not an unplayable game, but it's far from being as polished as DMC and DMC3. The controls aren't as tight, the upgrades/extra weapons are literally worthless, and the style meter system is totally broken in which it's hard to build up. Unlocking Trish, who plays like Dante from DMC, only highlights how unpolished the entire game is. On the otherhand, I think that the game has GREAT art direction and throwing in the ability to play the game like it was DMC is another huge plus. To be honest, I'd love to see DMC Dante in every DMC game beyond a simple costume change.

If you have a Fry's nearby this should be $29.99 come release week as they've been doing with the other HD collections recently.

I have not gone back to DMC because I am afraid it won't hold up to DMC3, which was perfect. It is what I go to anytime I want a DMC experience.

/begins his faint fanboy fueled recollection

DMC2 is as bad as people say it is, don't let anyone else tell you otherwise. It is a stain on the series and should be skipped. The controls/camera were a mess and it lacked the precision and polish of 1 & 3. Perhaps if it didnt have the DMC title, it may be considered a barely mediocre title with no real sense of what it wants to be (since it does nothing truly well). But since it dared throw itself out with the DMC moniker, it failed on every level.

/end

Like most people, I'll be waiting for the $20 price.

On a slightly related topic, is anyone at all excited about the new DMC? I'm certainly not :(

[quote name='HakaHina']Like most people, I'll be waiting for the $20 price.

On a slightly related topic, is anyone at all excited about the new DMC? I'm certainly not :([/QUOTE]
No one is. Read capcom forums the majority of people are shitting on it. You got the developers begging fans to buy the game during interviews. I hope it flops.

On a slightly related topic, is anyone at all excited about the new DMC? I'm certainly not :([/QUOTE]

As much as I like ninja theory's work I too am not excited for emo may cry

Good God, no.

Western developer that has a history of horrible slowdown, mediocre gameplay, and inefficient use of resources, 30 frames per second, Unreal engine, generic Dante, Silent Hill reject enemy design. And from a story standpoint, Ninja Theory can't even write anything halfway competent without trying to pull a pretentious and desperate Matrix twist on you. Ugh.

Anyway, I'm going to pick this sucker up at launch. I'm really looking forward to it. I don't care if people pick this up at $20, I just hope people pick it up in general new to remind Capcom that real Stylish action is important.

Will buy this.

[quote name='HakaHina']On a slightly related topic, is anyone at all excited about the new DMC?[/QUOTE]

Won't buy this.

I've never played a DMC title so I'm looking forward to this.

I really hope the Yakuza and Kingdom Hearts PS2 games get the PS3 HD treatment one day

[quote name='ssjmichael']I've never played a DMC title so I'm looking forward to this.

I really hope the Yakuza and Kingdom Hearts PS2 games get the PS3 HD treatment one day[/QUOTE]

kingdom hearts hd collection would be fantastic ! (strait edge drools on his keyboard)

Never understood the fascination with the DMC series so it's a pass for me. Too damn many remakes of games not even really that old.

[quote name='HakaHina']LOn a slightly related topic, is anyone at all excited about the new DMC? I'm certainly not :([/QUOTE]

I"m looking forward to it. Whenever someone complains about it, it seems to be because primarily due to Dante's new appearance. As long as the game plays well, that's all that matters to me.

[quote name='MasterSun1']I'll just wait for this to come out on PSN and gameshare it for 1/5 the price.[/QUOTE]Capcom's PSN releases seem most likely to have a habit using the "you must be online at all times" DRM that prohibits that.

[quote name='Thrinn']I"m looking forward to it. Whenever someone complains about it, it seems to be because primarily due to Dante's new appearance. As long as the game plays well, that's all that matters to me.
[/QUOTE]

There's plenty of superficial subjective criticism for DmC, but don't let that cloud the more substantive issues with the title. It's not going to play well.

[quote name='GuardianE']There's plenty of superficial subjective criticism for DmC, but don't let that cloud the more substantive issues with the title. It's not going to play well.[/QUOTE]

There was a fair amount of backlash with DMC4, too. Capcom gave you two different characters that played almost completely different, the combat system was deep, the bosses were impressive looking, and the game was actually challenging.
Having to backtrack through the entire game
was the only thing I really took issue with. Overall I really enjoyed that game.

Ninja Theory has a so-so history, but I'll have to reserve judgement until I actually get to play the game.

Kind of sick of HD remakes... but if they remade Kingdom Hearts I can't say I wouldn't bite (mainly because they would include the exclusive japanese Re: content). So I guess there is a demand for them :/

[quote name='Thrinn']There was a fair amount of backlash with DMC4, too. Capcom gave you two different characters that played almost completely different, the combat system was deep, the bosses were impressive looking, and the game was actually challenging.
Having to backtrack through the entire game
was the only thing I really took issue with. Overall I really enjoyed that game.

Ninja Theory has a so-so history, but I'll have to reserve judgement until I actually get to play the game.[/QUOTE]

DMC4 had some backlash, but it was all still developed in-house with Itsuno at the helm. And the introduction of Nero wasn't a complete dismissal of the lore, characters, and setting of the previous games. I think the two are hardly comparable. One could have potentially been a misstep in the series. The other completely deletes the series' history.

And despite these reservations, the gameplay was never an issue. The game looked gorgeous (it still does considering how early it was released in the consoles' life cycles) and ran at a buttery smooth 60fps. There was never any doubt that the game would play well. There were some concerns that the gameplay would be easier with the introduction of Nero's Devil Bringer mechanic, but this was all before people knew that Dante would be playable.

For the record, I enjoyed DMC4 immensely. The combat and bosses were sublime, and while there were questionable design choices and lazy level design, it was clearly a positive entry for a lot of people. It reviewed well, too. It appeared rushed, but it was crafted by people that knew what they were doing. Tameem Antoniades is not one of those people. By supporting it, you're essentially saying that mediocre combat and storytelling is fine as long as you throw in impressive use of color and good facial animation (the only two things that Ninja Theory does well).

I think the announcement of DmC was very premature. It's obvious from the progress that it was still mostly in the late concept stage of development despite being worked on for over 6 months for the first trailer. The second trailer should've been the first one because you can start to see some of the polish, although, moving away from an actual devil form is a bad decision IMO. On the brightside, the fourth trailer really brings a lot of the elements together between the music, environment, and action.

While DmC is sure to have a more cohesive and deeper story, the gameplay will surely suffer due to it's heavier focus on air-combat as opposed to a more balanced air and ground combat system for non-elite players. I have no problem with getting good enough to get SS ranks, but I don't want to have to be in the air the entire time.

[quote name='dohdough']I think the announcement of DmC was very premature. It's obvious from the progress that it was still mostly in the late concept stage of development despite being worked on for over 6 months for the first trailer. The second trailer should've been the first one because you can start to see some of the polish, although, moving away from an actual devil form is a bad decision IMO. On the brightside, the fourth trailer really brings a lot of the elements together between the music, environment, and action.

While DmC is sure to have a more cohesive and deeper story, the gameplay will surely suffer due to it's heavier focus on air-combat as opposed to a more balanced air and ground combat system for non-elite players. I have no problem with getting good enough to get SS ranks, but I don't want to have to be in the air the entire time.[/QUOTE]

DmC will have decent facial animation, adequate voice acting, and pathetically stupid twists. Oftentimes that's mistaken for deep storytelling. I've watched every piece of media footage for DmC, and it's certainly more polished now. The fake Dante looks less gaunt and homeless, and his clothes don't look like they came from the Salvation Army anymore. Despite this, I still think he looks like trash. But that's subjective, of course.

On a more objective level, however, DmC combat doesn't look hard or elite at all. Frankly, it looks like a copout. I'm pretty knowledgable about DMC combat (I've beaten DMC3 on DMD and 1000'd DMC4). The long ass air combos in DMC have weight to them, and are only possible through properly timed jump cancels. In DmC, however, they look automatic, janky, and without proper impact or differentation. The poor framerate doesn't help with the animations either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool... should be fun playing these games again with my Xbox 360 controller! Now Crapcom just needs to announce the Onimusha HD Collection (w/ all 5 games) and they can take my money!

[quote name='GuardianE']DmC will have decent facial animation, adequate voice acting, and pathetically stupid twists. Oftentimes that's mistaken for deep storytelling. I've watched every piece of media footage for DmC, and it's certainly more polished now. The fake Dante looks less gaunt and homeless, and his clothes don't look like they came from the Salvation Army anymore. Despite this, I still think he looks like trash. But that's subjective, of course.[/quote]
I agree. In no way am I implying that it's going to be a deep story though; just deeper than what we've had so far. And yes, I'm not a fan of the character design as well. I can't even imagine what Vergil will look like.

On a more objective level, however, DmC combat doesn't look hard or elite at all. Frankly, it looks like a copout. I'm pretty knowledgable about DMC combat (I've beaten DMC3 on DMD and 1000'd DMC4). The long ass air combos in DMC have weight to them, and are only possible through properly timed jump cancels. In DmC, however, they look automatic, janky, and without proper impact or differentation. The poor framerate doesn't help with the animations either.
Yeah, that's exactly what I mean. I'm guessing that this is very deliberate to make it more accessible to more players.

[quote name='dohdough']I agree. In no way am I implying that it's going to be a deep story though; just deeper than what we've had so far. And yes, I'm not a fan of the character design as well. I can't even imagine what Vergil will look like.

Yeah, that's exactly what I mean. I'm guessing that this is very deliberate to make it more accessible to more players.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I see where you're coming from. I still believe that DMC3, when you look past the over-the-top cutscenes and deliberately slapstick Dante, is a fantastically told coming of age story. Simple in design, yet compelling and unencumbered by a needlessly convoluted narrative. Despite how in-your-face DMC3 is, there are a great number of subtleties that people often dismiss unjustly.

The crux of the game is Dante accepting and understanding the combination of his Demonic and Human origins, the strength each side yields, and realizing the importance of taking responsibility for his family. He's a different person from start to finish. He metaphorically and literally must climb a tower and endure trial after trial to face his brother, his blood... his other half who has embraced the Demonic side. Both have had very different, but understandable, responses to their mother's death (something that is rarely even mentioned in the game). One became outright rebellious, denouncing his father and devoting himself to hunting demons. The other became studious, toiling, and serious, struggling to unearth the secrets of his demonic power.

And the script, the deliberately childlike exchanges between Vergil and Dante, reinforcing the fact that they revert back to a childlike state when meeting once again.

I think the stories of DMC1, 2, and 4 (and frankly, a lot of games that try too hard today) all fall flat to this... though, I also don't think it's incredibly important. Gameplay and characters are more pivotal than story in any of these games, in my opinion.

[quote name='GuardianE']On a more objective level, however, DmC combat doesn't look hard or elite at all. Frankly, it looks like a copout.[/QUOTE]The series had already made its move to accommodate a more casual audience with the release of DMC3:SE. You may be right that DmC is a move much further in that direction; I haven't seen much in the way of gameplay footage. I found primary source of DMC4's difficulty being that I had to contort my hands to hold down all the necessary buttons at once to take full advantage of the scoring system.

[quote name='GuardianE']The poor framerate doesn't help with the animations either.[/QUOTE]A game's framrate (among other optimizations) is typically one of the last things addressed before it is shipped. If that's still a problem once the game ships, then yes, that would be a big issue.

[quote name='Thrinn']The series had already made its move to accommodate a more casual audience with the release of DMC3:SE. You may be right that DmC is a move much further in that direction; I haven't seen much in the way of gameplay footage. I found primary source of DMC4's difficulty being that I had to contort my hands to hold down all the necessary buttons at once to take full advantage of the scoring system.

A game's framrate (among other optimizations) is typically one of the last things addressed before it is shipped. If that's still a problem once the game ships, then yes, that would be a big issue.[/QUOTE]

Actually, for DMC3:SE, the difficulty wasn't changed to accomodate a more casual audience. They simply reintroduced the Japanese difficulty settings. For those who don't know, when porting DMC3 to the U.S., Capcom decided to make the Japanese Hard into U.S. Normal, and the Japanese Normal into U.S. Easy. Then they made their own difficulty for Hard in the U.S. (which ultimately became Very Hard mode in DMC3:SE). So, no. If anything, the shift towards easier gameplay was done in DMC4.

In DMC4, you can also change the control scheme instead. I never had to contort my hands, and I used the default control scheme.

The game's framerate has been confirmed to be 30fps by Capcom and Tameem. Considering that Ninja Theory has yet to make a game with a stable framerate, I'd say the odds are stacked against them.

[quote name='mkaliaz']This is a deal?[/QUOTE]

Hell yea it is. Getting to play DMC3 on a current system is a deal at any price.

I always said that was the much better game than God of War but GoW got all the hype.

[quote name='stevo1002']Kind of sick of HD remakes... but if they remade Kingdom Hearts I can't say I wouldn't bite (mainly because they would include the exclusive japanese Re: content). So I guess there is a demand for them :/[/QUOTE]

There's always going to be demand...from the fans that want to play it in better condition that either don't have or aren't comfortable emulating on PC, to the people who never played one or any of the games included, to the people who don't own the games anymore but want to again like me, to the achievement/trophy hunters, etc.

Lots of reasons that these will always sell decently for relatively cheap outsourced (usually) work for the publisher.

[quote name='GuardianE']Actually, for DMC3:SE, the difficulty wasn't changed to accomodate a more casual audience. They simply reintroduced the Japanese difficulty settings. For those who don't know, when porting DMC3 to the U.S., Capcom decided to make the Japanese Hard into U.S. Normal, and the Japanese Normal into U.S. Easy. Then they made their own difficulty for Hard in the U.S. (which ultimately became Very Hard mode in DMC3:SE). So, no. If anything, the shift towards easier gameplay was done in DMC4.[/QUOTE]I apologize for not alluding to that earlier so you didn't have to type all that up. The point I was trying to get at was more that they tried to up the ante for the U.S. hardcore market and it came back to bite them in the ass. While I don't necessarily agree with their approach towards dumbing things down a bit, I can certainly see the reason why they feel the need to do so.

[quote name='GuardianE']The game's framerate has been confirmed to be 30fps by Capcom and Tameem. Considering that Ninja Theory has yet to make a game with a stable framerate, I'd say the odds are stacked against them.[/QUOTE]Ninja Theory track record basically consists of two games this generation. One being Heavenly Sword, their initial "next-gen" offering on PS3, a system that is notoriously difficult to develop for. They probably developed the game with some rough tools while the system was in it's infancy. I'd be willing to give them a pass on that game's performance issues.

That leaves Enslaved. Again their PS3 port had problems with framerate whereas the 360 seemed to fair better at around 30FPS according to Digital Foundry. Not amazing, but acceptable.

I would hope that working on a big series like DmC would offer them a much larger budget to develop the game with than those new IPs did. I just think it's too early to hold DmC's framerate issues against them.

bread's done
Back