Diablo 2 Newb. Anyone care to help?

whitlecj

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I have never played the game until yesterday and just wanted to get some help before really starting my main. I only get to play a few hour a week generally, so I will most likely be sticking with one character primarily. There in lies my question. I would like to have a main that is okay at pve and pvp (if that is possible). In wow and other mmo's, I generally like casting type characters (if that helps). I would like to play my games online, because I liking being part of community. I would welcome any build recommendations and general game play tips if possible. Thanks for any help you can give.

If any of you guys still play on a regular basis and don't mind someone who is clueless about the game, I would love to join you for some games. Then again, maybe everyone has moved on. I am having a little trouble getting over the dated graphics, but from what everyone says, the game is completely worth it.

I toyed with firing up my wow account before buying this game, but given my limited play time, I just didn't know if it would be worth it since all of the people I used to play wow with have quit.

Anyway, any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187735&page=27

A group of us still play on USWest Ladder.

You'll want a sorceress for a caster class that can duel when starting out for two reasons.

First being that you won't need expensive gear to make a decent sorc (no need to get an enigma or other expensive runeword stuff as sorcs already have the teleport skill).

Second being that you can switch some gear to magic find and go kill stuff to get good drops to supply other potential characters.

A Fireball or Blizzard sorc would be a good choice. There's a bunch of different variations, but your basic skill tree for a fire sorc could be as follows:
Fire skills:
20 fire ball
20 fire bolt
20 meteor
1-? fire mastery (put 1 point here to start and then the rest after you max your other skills)
1 warmth

Lightning skills:
20 telekinesis
1 teleport
? e-shield
enough points in e-shield to hit 95% after +skills from items

Stats you'll want-
Strength: enough to hold all your gear and nothing more

Dex: EITHER enough to reach 75% block with the shield you are using OR none (if you go for max block, you'll probably want to use a Whistan's Round shield, a fairly cheap item)

Vitality: pump to a level you feel comfortable with. I personally put it up to 80 so I can sometimes survive a hit if my e-shield goes down, but you could put no points in it.

Energy: EVERYTHING ELSE
----
What can you do with this type of sorc?
Well, fire immunity is the most common immunity among monster I believe in Hell. Fire sorc is good for duels with the proper gear and good for various MF runs. They are perfect for slaughering the Act 1 boss, Andariel, as she has negative resistance to fire, allowing you to take her down in 2 or 3 fireballs. You can also easily farm the act 3 boss by using "the moat trick" and meteor (you trap the boss with a moat between you and spam meteors on his head with 0 risk of dying).

Some people don't like e-shield, because it takes all the damage you would be taking and instead redirects it to your mana (well, 95% of the damage). This means if you're teleporting somewhere and take a big hit, you lose all your mana (to start with when you don't have that much) and get raped.

If you don't like e-shield, instead, put no points in energy and instead put them in vitality. No need to spec up for telekinesis and e-shield, so put those points towards something else. Max fire mastery faster.

Thanks for the great post. That should help a lot. How do you address the fire immune monsters in Hell, if they are immune to fire? Thanks again.

Thanks for that. So teleporting past them will not be a problem if I am not in a group?

Last edited by a moderator:
check this website out.

http://www.diii.net/ (it used to be diabloii.net)

I used to play a lot last year, but check the forums and you will find a ton of information on D2.

If you want to level up a character pretty fast, then do baal runs.

This website is also useful in determining what items/runewords/weapons you need for your characters

http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/

If you need any more help, then just pm me.

[quote name='shlby']check this website out.

http://www.diii.net/ (it used to be diabloii.net)

I used to play a lot last year, but check the forums and you will find a ton of information on D2.

If you want to level up a character pretty fast, then do baal runs.

This website is also useful in determining what items/runewords/weapons you need for your characters

http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/

If you need any more help, then just pm me.[/quote]

This.

the diabloii.net community kept me interested in Diablo 2 far longer than any other game, simply because its a friendly bunch of people (a lot like CAG, except limited to one game) who just enjoy the game.

The forums have plenty of good builds, I would recommend starting either a Sorceress or a Necromancer, as they are easiest without have uber gear for your character.

bread's done
Back