Diablo 3 for consoles?

Mahoney07

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I don't get why people think this will happen. It's not possible to control a sorceress with a controller to teleport to specific parts of the screen while casting spells at the same time. Yes so many people think it's coming out consoles.

If it will come to consoles it won't be Diablo 3. It will be Diablo: something that's not 3

I think it's possible they could get Microsoft to let them use a USB keyboard as a controller. All they have to tell Microsoft is that if they don't let them use a keyboard as a controller then Diablo 3 is going to be a PC/PS3 exclusive, and I doubt Microsoft will want that.

Of course I don't really care if D3 comes out on the consoles or not, I don't like the Diablo games.

I want it to happen so bad. Blizzard does not make anything for consoles though so I don't have any real hopes up but it would be amazing if it happened.

And I think they could find a control scheme that would work.

I'm just going to say this: It's not gonna happen.

No amount of hope, rumors and speculation is going to change how Diablo works. No, it would not work with a controller, no matter how much people might want to believe that it would. It would be far, far too clunky and limited for the needs of the game. Pinpoint accuracy is required for shooting off specific spells (Frozen Orb, Traps, Fireballs, etc.) and especially for teleporting, as stated above. The ONLY way that this could work is if it was still designed to be used with a mouse and keyboard, but then anyone without a PC would have to go out and buy a set just to play this game. The only way this wouldn't piss the general public off is if the game came bundled with both of those things in 1 box and even then, it would be extremely awkward to hold a mouse and keyboard for most people without the use of a properly placed table or the use of a desk. Using a mouse and keyboard in your lap just isn't going to be all that effective. Aside from bundling the game with a mouse and keyboard, the game would have to be altered a whole lot and would lose some of it's flare from the PVP element due to the controls. I've been a huge console gamer for over 20 years, but I love PC gaming all the same.
In short, you're a console gamer and you want to play Diablo 3, maybe it's time to suck it up and give PC gaming a try. It's really not all that different and in most cases, you can even use a console controller to play PC games, although it's not necessarily as effective in every case.
I'm very excited for Diablo 3, despite how short my spurts with the game truly last. The Diablo series is the kind of thing that I can get back into 1-2 times each and every year for between 2-12 weeks, depending on how hard I get the itch to play. I build characters, make them godly, help friends out, PVP a small amount and then quit. If Diablo 3 can keep me coming back for these small bouts of excitement the same way that Diablo and Diablo 2 do, I most certainly doubt that I'll ever even go back to Diablo 1 or 2 ever again. That depends on the classes and overall game length. ;)

I don't think it will happen. People say the graphics look say, and they do, but that's the thing. They're doing it so a lot of people can buy their game, like WoW, the Sims, etc. If you go with high end, top of the line crap which only the Crysis crowd can afford, you're not gonna make money and you'll be out of a job soon. They're doing it to maximize sales of the game, end of story.

Even if it comes to consoles, I won't get it on a console.

Is the average console player looking for Diablo 3? My opinion .. very doubtful. I'd venture to guess your average console player has no idea what Diablo even is.

I vow to buy Diablo III no matter if its PC exclusive or Console, I would even buy a $100 collectors edition, a couple hundred dollar video card, I been waiting forever for this game

This is the first game in years that might get me to buy a new pc! Of course, who knows when Diablo 3 is actually coming out..

I hope Too Human can give me my loot collecting fix. God, please don't let it suck.

Yeah, it won't come to consoles probably due to 2 thing
1.Control Scheme
2.Majority of console owners won't want this.

If somehow these 2 things could be fixed and proved wrong, this it will go on consoles.

I never played earlier diablos, but the baldur's gate dark alliance games did well on PS2 (same for x-men legends/Marvel UA), so I could easily see some sort of port or spin-off selling very well on consoles (I'd probably pick it up).

I do love my consoles and play them a lot but, I'd only ever buy Diablo 3 for my PC. Anyone remember trying the original Diablo on Playstation?

I don't think it'll happen. When Blizzard releases a PC game, they can get a decade or more of sales out of it - look at Starcraft. Having to support consoles would come with a shorter lifespan for the console version, trying to tie Xbox Live support into Battle.net, attempting to patch the console version years after release, and porting it to a console they aren't familiar with.

There's zero incentive for a console Diablo III, because there isn't demand for it. There aren't hordes of gamers who would buy the game but not for the PC.

[quote name='Dezuria']I do love my consoles and play them a lot but, I'd only ever buy Diablo 3 for my PC. Anyone remember trying the original Diablo on Playstation?[/QUOTE]

Or Starcraft on the N64?

Others have already said it, but there's little reason for Blizzard to port it to consoles, other than making the VERY MINORITY of people who want it on those platforms happy.

Can't see it coming either for all the reasons listed. I could see a Diablo game working if it was built from the ground up around a console control scheme. It would just play like the Baldur's Gate Dark Aliance games.

But I don't see Blizzard doing it. Oh well, I didn't get around to playing Diablo 2 as I was pretty much done with dungeon crawlers after the first one.

They have no reason to spend all their resources trying to figure out a console control scheme that works when they already have one that works fine for the PC.
Not worth the effort.

A port to the PS3 would be feasible since you can use a mouse and keyboard. The 360 is a joke though and would require too much shortcuts/workarounds to get it to work well on the 360.

Keep it on the PC regardless, PC owners need good reasons besides WoW and Crysis to upgrade yearly.

I think it possible for Diablo 3 coming to home consoles. It will help Blizzard generate for more revenue, and draw more users who don't play pc games. It probably going to come from a 3 party publisher like EA for Warcraft II and Diablo I and Nintendo for Starcraft .

The controls shouldn't be a huge issue since the control scheme for action/adventure doesn't require a lot of buttons, go look at success of Baldur's Gate or Champions for home consoles. They can use the left analog for movement and right analog for aiming moves/spells which is no different from dragging a mouse. The face buttons(x,y,a,b) can be use as attack/action buttons, cancel and 2 short cut spells. The top trigger buttons can be use for potions/mana potions or switch equipment(from a bowzon to lancezon). You can also assign the dpad for hotkeys you don't use in the heat of battle such as town portals, id scrolls or other assorted stuff. Plus, when did controls stop a PC game coming to home console? Go look at Supreme Commander or Command and Conquer. A game that requires a lot pinpoint controls and hot keys for mass micro, but regardless of xbox 360 limited control scheme, they made an attempt.

The question is will Diablo 3 be for free? With the success of World of Warcraft, they know people are willing to pay a monthly fee to play Blizzard games. They might charge a monthly fee. I bet that will cause a lot of friction between Microsoft and Blizzard if they decide to charge money for Diablo 3. Another problem is between support of Xbox live and Battlenet.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='kube00']Anyone know what sort of specs its going to take to run it? Might have to get me a new machine[/QUOTE]

Don't bother, Diablo 3 won't be out for another 2 years. May as well wait til then.

Who really knows at this point, I do agree that this game (along with multiple other games) are just naturally more accessable with a k/m. Either the control scheme changes dramatically or (shocking idea) support a freaking k/m on a console!!!

I dont have a gaming capable PC (I know Im not the only one) but most people own a USB k/m now-a-days, so why not use it!.

I hope D3 comes out for 360/PS3, but im not holding my breath

[quote name='Kaijufan']I think it's possible they could get Microsoft to let them use a USB keyboard as a controller. All they have to tell Microsoft is that if they don't let them use a keyboard as a controller then Diablo 3 is going to be a PC/PS3 exclusive, and I doubt Microsoft will want that.

Of course I don't really care if D3 comes out on the consoles or not, I don't like the Diablo games.[/quote]

I share Kaijufan's opinion. I played the first game, but don't care about the Diablo franchise. It all comes down to whether Microsoft allows the use of a keyboard and mouse in games. If Diablo 3 is released on a console, I think the PS3 would be preferable considering Blu-Ray and the ability to use a keyboard and mouse.

bread's done
Back