Did anyone play Call of Duty: World at War yet?

I recommend making this the official Call of Duty: World at War - Gen Discussion and Info thread.

Anyway, I might eventually pick this up because of trophies. I know some who are looking at getting it. I'm going to take a wait and see mostly.

I'm from the 360 forum and don't own a PS3, but here is the general consensus for really all systems I guess.

The game is split into really, three things:

• Campaign (Single Player/Co-Op Campaign)
  • Zombie Mode
  • Online Multiplayer
The campaign length is about the same as all other Call of Duty series, but there really is no real "storyline". You jump from the Russians to the Americans fighting the Germans and the Japanese. There's nothing really spectacular that blows everything away, such as the last Call of Duty, Modern Warfare. Call of Duty World At War is a solid shooter and definitely has a lot of stuff to offer. Call of Duty World At War is essentially COD4 with a WWII skin on it, with vehicles, co-op campaign, zombie mode, and a few more perks.

Overall, it's a good game. There's a lot to offer in this package, and although you might not have some extreme "OMG WOW THAT WAS SO AWESOME", you'll be pleasantly entertained if you're with friends, considering you have the Zombie Mode, Co-op Campaign, and Online Multiplayer.

As for bugs/glitches, there really aren't any besides random nades. In almost all difficulties ranging from like Normal to Veteran, there will be random nades that get thrown your way. Obviously, in Normal, you won't get pummeled with them 24/7 -- they might happen every once in a while, but in Veteran, expect to get pummeled. Other than that, I don't think there's that many bugs/glitches -- however time will tell.

It's really a very good multiplayer experience in all, and it's a solid WWII shooter, maybe one of the best to date, considering what it offers. Hope that helps.

[quote name='Chronotrigga']I'm from the 360 forum and don't own a PS3, but here is the general consensus for really all systems I guess.

The game is split into really, three things:

• Campaign (Single Player/Co-Op Campaign)
  • Zombie Mode
  • Online Multiplayer
The campaign length is about the same as all other Call of Duty series, but there really is no real "storyline". You jump from the Russians to the Americans fighting the Germans and the Japanese. There's nothing really spectacular that blows everything away, such as the last Call of Duty, Modern Warfare. Call of Duty World At War is a solid shooter and definitely has a lot of stuff to offer. Call of Duty World At War is essentially COD4 with a WWII skin on it, with vehicles, co-op campaign, zombie mode, and a few more perks.

Overall, it's a good game. There's a lot to offer in this package, and although you might not have some extreme "OMG WOW THAT WAS SO AWESOME", you'll be pleasantly entertained if you're with friends, considering you have the Zombie Mode, Co-op Campaign, and Online Multiplayer.

As for bugs/glitches, there really aren't any besides random nades. In almost all difficulties ranging from like Normal to Veteran, there will be random nades that get thrown your way. Obviously, in Normal, you won't get pummeled with them 24/7 -- they might happen every once in a while, but in Veteran, expect to get pummeled. Other than that, I don't think there's that many bugs/glitches -- however time will tell.

It's really a very good multiplayer experience in all, and it's a solid WWII shooter, maybe one of the best to date.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the impressions! Do you know if the zombie mode is co-op offline?

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I recommend making this the official Call of Duty: World at War - Gen Discussion and Info thread.

Anyway, I might eventually pick this up because of trophies. I know some who are looking at getting it. I'm going to take a wait and see mostly.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tips mana;). I was not too interested in it, but since it has an actual offline co-op story mode, unlike Resistance 2.

I liked the multiplayer in COD 4, but I was not sure about the WWII setting. The review I read on IGN made it seem pretty good. I did not see a PS3 review though..

I'm not sure, you'd have to ask someone who's beaten it (I doubt anyone has on CAG at this point -- maybe zewone since he's had it for at least 2 days now). Anyhow, apparently one person says it's splitscreen, but it's only up to 2 people -- I doubt that's true though. If it's up to four people, that'd be awesome.

I would assume Zombie Mode supports up to four people offline, because if the campaign supports four people offline, the zombie mode should too.

I also forgot about the death cards or whatever, if you've ever played Halo, the skulls that you can find in the game that manipulate the real game in different ways (No HUD, Get a headshot and person explodes, etc..), CoD:WaW has death cards or whatever they're called that are spread through the game that you can enable when playing campaign to get a different experience -- especially when playing with friends.

My brother is playing the PS3 version online right now. He's telling me that its working flawlessly. Mic's, matchmaking and connection great after 4-5 games.

[quote name='Pratt75']My brother is playing the PS3 version online right now. He's telling me that its working flawlessly. Mic's, matchmaking and connection great after 4-5 games.[/QUOTE]

That is excellent news! I am tired of dealing with PS3's 1st party problems with online play as of late, LBP, SOCOM, Resistance 2 all have had issues with the online play and I know that it is not always going to be smooth sailing at first, but both SOCOM an Resistance have had major server issues leftover from the "beta" testing phases...

It's refreshing to have a game work right out of the box. I will keep an eye on COD:WaW to see what kind of issues that might pop up.

[quote name='js1']That is excellent news! I am tired of dealing with PS3's 1st party problems with online play as of late, LBP, SOCOM, Resistance 2 all have had issues with the online play and I know that it is not always going to be smooth sailing at first, but both SOCOM an Resistance have had major server issues leftover from the "beta" testing phases...

It's refreshing to have a game work right out of the box. I will keep an eye on COD:WaW to see what kind of issues that might pop up.[/QUOTE]I think a lot of issues have to do with Sony getting a really large load of people (way more than expected early on). CoD: WaW may not be as bad because it's not going to have as many players as those games (since Sony's first party games is PS3 only and multi-console owners buying them). Then again, you have to understand Warhawk had many issues after the beta, and this is the first time Sony has launched a few major online games at once on PS3. It's getting better (most SOCOM issues solved, LBP is not as bad as release, and I expect R2 to get better this week).
[quote name='js1']Thanks for the tips mana;). I was not too interested in it, but since it has an actual offline co-op story mode, unlike Resistance 2.

I liked the multiplayer in COD 4, but I was not sure about the WWII setting. The review I read on IGN made it seem pretty good. I did not see a PS3 review though..[/QUOTE]I don't think we saw a review because there was no PS3 beta/final version out to most reviewers as soon as the 360/PC.
[quote name='Pratt75']My brother is playing the PS3 version online right now. He's telling me that its working flawlessly. Mic's, matchmaking and connection great after 4-5 games.[/QUOTE]

I'm still really curious how they are handling the invite process and party system. The big issue with CoD4 on PS3 is that invites were a hit/miss, party wouldn't stay connected, and it wouldn't list all your PSN buddies.

From what people said at GAF, to let everyone know, no online split screen.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='StrandedBrit']My copy shipped from amazon so I should have later this week.

Although I won't be playing it for a while for other reasons ....[/QUOTE]

I read about your situation, that really sucks.. I hope you can either get it fixed or get a new one. I think the problem was you were playing way too many games on it;).

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I think a lot of issues have to do with Sony getting a really large load of people (way more than expected early on). CoD: WaW may not be as bad because it's not going to have as many players as those games (since Sony's first party games is PS3 only and multi-console owners buying them). Then again, you have to understand Warhawk had many issues after the beta, and this is the first time Sony has launched a few major online games at once on PS3. It's getting better (most SOCOM issues solved, LBP is not as bad as release, and I expect R2 to get better this week).
I don't think we saw a review because there was no PS3 beta/final version out to most reviewers as soon as the 360/PC.

I'm still really curious how they are handling the invite process and party system. The big issue with CoD4 on PS3 is that invites were a hit/miss, party wouldn't stay connected, and it wouldn't list all your PSN buddies.

From what people said at GAF, to let everyone know, no online split screen.[/QUOTE]

I'm not worried about split screen online, I was wondering about offline(zombie game).

My point is mana that COD is working smoothly online out of the box and it's not a 1st party game. How is that even possible? If anyone would have an upper hand, it would be a first party title. Am I right? Is it wrong for me to expect sony to give big profile titles the best servers, and setups?

going to take a stab here. sony isn't hosting really any services for most 3rd party games I wouldn't think besides very minimal party/match making stuff. From the looks of it almost all of the services have to be done by the 3rd party. I would assume most of these 3rd party systems are the same across 360/ps3 like it was in BFBC. All the bfbc servers are hosted on EA servers.

[quote name='js1']My point is mana that COD is working smoothly online out of the box and it's not a 1st party game. How is that even possible? If anyone would have an upper hand, it would be a first party title. Am I right? Is it wrong for me to expect sony to give big profile titles the best servers, and setups?[/QUOTE]Would it work smoothly if it had as many players as R2, LBP, and SOCOM were getting at launch on PS3? That's the big question here. R2 actually works most of the time and IMO, the current state of it is better than CoD4 online at its best (party actually sticks together, disconnects are much less frequent, there's JUST the occassional network error at certain times).

But what I'm trying to say was, do you remember how Warhawk was at launch compared to now? Big difference (Warhawk early on had so many bugs/issues online it was insane). SOCOM has gotten way better. LBP has gotten better. And like I said, R2 will be getting better (many of these games are also being setup on new servers, not re-using existing servers). And before SOCOM came out, what was the last big online game Sony themselves put out??? Warhawk. It just comes down to excessive load of people, all trying to log on at once (just like the MGO beta), more so than Sony has expected and more so than they currently can support. I'm not just talking about Sony's own games getting a large load of people early on, MGO did and so did GTAIV (which had issues, like GTAIV was freezing on the first weekend of release whenever you were logged onto PSN). What does hold some devs back from having several severs is lack of manpower (I was going through SCEA's job listing and you wouldn't believe how many network guys they are looking for at various studios), lack of financing (Sony's PS division has taken quite a hit and I would not be surprised if they wanted to use only the minimum number of servers), and so on. One reason Home keeps getting pushed back is because they want to assure the servers can handle it.

Like hone said, Activision has their own servers. I could be wrong, but I remember hearing CoD4 was P2P, so I'd assume CoD: WaW may be the same way.

Anyway, IGN PS3 review is up:
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/929/929174p1.html

360 1up review:
http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3171247

The only other big problem is who would be willing to create CoD: WaW CAG nights? It seems like the previous admin will be going for it on 360. I dunno if I'll buy this and even if I do, I will not lead.

So is the Co-op local play? All the games recently have been online co-op and like js1 local co-op is much more useful to me.

[quote name='smiggity']So is the Co-op local play? All the games recently have been online co-op and like js1 local co-op is much more useful to me.[/QUOTE]

From what I have read so far it looks like both local and online.

[quote name='js1']From what I have read so far it looks like both local and online.[/quote]

Awesome. I think you should create a thread with all the PS3 co-op games listed, since you are the resident co-op master:)

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Would it work smoothly if it had as many players as R2, LBP, and SOCOM were getting at launch on PS3? That's the big question here. R2 actually works most of the time and IMO, the current state of it is better than CoD4 online at its best (party actually sticks together, disconnects are much less frequent, there's JUST the occassional network error at certain times).[/QUOTE]

I would think that COD 5 will have similar or even higher numbers than any one of those games. I do agree with you about R2 having the best party system out of the games mentioned. I really would just like see one of these online games work the way there supposed to, on day one...

[quote name='smiggity']Awesome. I think you should create a thread with all the PS3 co-op games listed, since you are the resident co-op master:)[/QUOTE]

You know that's not a bad idea;). It might take me some time to look up all of the info.

from what I read doesn't seem like anyone pre-ordered COD:WoW, so don't figure anyone knows whether the M1A1 Code is shareable, that GS was giving away?

Wait so this game has offline 2-player split screen campaign mode? I bought Resistance 2 over this because I thought it was only 1-player campaign mode.

[quote name='D_Icon']Wait so this game has offline 2-player split screen campaign mode? I bought Resistance 2 over this because I thought it was only 1-player campaign mode.[/quote]

Apparently the coop is both online and local. Which makes it worth a rent. I played the beta and was not a huge fan of the COD4 with new maps/older guns MP

[quote name='smiggity']Apparently the coop is both online and local. Which makes it worth a rent. I played the beta and was not a huge fan of the COD4 with new maps/older guns MP[/quote]

With local you don't mean two PS3s side by side right? Local is 2-player split screen on one PS3 right?

[quote name='D_Icon']Wait so should I return Resistance and get CoD then? Or should I just wait on for a Special Edition of CoD?[/QUOTE]Buy both. R2 is a REALLY great game (It's online co-op is too awesome) and CoD: WaW is a lot like CoD4 which as another great game (R2 mostly has the MMO co-op, great single player and community options, while CoD: WaW is probably better for competitive and having the co-op during main storyline).

[quote name='m_d_amore']any CAG co-op night in the works?[/QUOTE]

At some point I'm sure. I'm not sure how many CAG's have it yet.

[quote name='snakelda']Return it and get WaW.[/quote]

Thats what Im thinking now. Resistance doesn't have 2-player split screen campaign mode like the first one did. Does CoD have it?

[quote name='D_Icon']Thats what Im thinking now. Resistance doesn't have 2-player split screen campaign mode like the first one did. Does CoD have it?[/QUOTE]

yes.

[quote name='snakelda']Return it and get WaW.[/QUOTE]I think R2 is the overall better game and provides more lasting appeal that due to three major modes.

And there still is offline co-op in R2, just in a different way.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I think R2 is the overall better game and provides more lasting appeal that due to three major modes.[/QUOTE]

I don't see how especially considering the number of more offline features and much more online than just deathmatch and co-op modes that COD:WaW offers, including vehicles in certain maps.

I returned Resistance 2 and got WaW, this is what I was looking for, offline campaign 2-player split screen. Awesome game.

Good game. R2 and COD:WAW are both good and different in their own way. I prefer US vs German though. Nothing like a good Normandy invasion.

okay, so i just beat the game, and a message popped up that i had unlocked the nazi zombie mode for play in the solo and co-op game modes. is there a way to play this solo? cause i don't really see a way to play this mode from the solo sub menu, and the co-op menu says it is for 2-4 players.

i'd be interested in playing some Zombie co-op, but not sure when i'm going to get a chance to play next. a lotta work to done before the new year, ugh. possibly next week sometime.

[quote name='Shrapnellistic']I'd rather have a CoD4:MW (PS3) CAG Night, also could be the thing that would convince me to buy the map pack.[/QUOTE]We use to have a CoD4 night. I led it at one point, then handed it off when I had too many game nights. I took it back over again for a short time, and now I kind of killed it (attendance was a bit on the low side and trying to get into ranked games with other CAGs was too much of a hassle (long explaination):
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160490

List of game nights going on and ones we had before are here:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3256553&postcount=3

[quote name='bendeco45']okay, so i just beat the game, and a message popped up that i had unlocked the nazi zombie mode for play in the solo and co-op game modes. is there a way to play this solo? cause i don't really see a way to play this mode from the solo sub menu, and the co-op menu says it is for 2-4 players.[/QUOTE]
answering my own question...i finally figured out how to play the nazi zombie mode in SP. go to the solo mode and choose Mission Select or whatever. it's the last one in the list. i played a couple times yesterday, and it was kinda fun. nothing spectacular, it was kind of annoying with the crappy WWII weapons since some of them take kind of a long time to reload. there are a couple cool powerups, 1 being the nuke which kills all the zombies in the house. the other being the 1 shot kill, just switch to the pistol and kill the zombies with 1 shot.

does anyone have any pointers on how to play this mode? i think in my best game i got to round 6 or 7, but i generally die at around level 4.

bread's done
Back