Did anyone play Heroes of Mana?

catapult37

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
I'm surprised more developers haven't tried RTSes on the DS. I was looking forward to this game, and even read a decent review, when that same review mentioned that the pathfinding basically sucked. To my mind, that's a weakness that can undercut an RTS entirely. Did any of you play it? What did you think? How was the gameplay, and was the story decent?

from what I understood, (and played a little) this is going to play like revenant wings when it comes out. it's a decent game, but it doesn't warrant the $40 price tag.

Exactly, SL4IN - it's the $40 price gouging on this one that sinks it. Since it isn't a AAA title, it needs to be priced no more than the standard $30. If it was getting 9's I'd have gotten it even at $40, but with the 6-7's it's getting, no dice... I figure it will be easy to find for $16.96 or less at a future CC clearance or whatnot. I do want to try it, but I wouldn't be playing it any time soon, anyway, so what was the point of picking it up especially at the inflated price. Same thing for Luminous Arc - for some odd reason that is priced at $35. But that will probably be a bit harder to find down the line. I totally expect Heroes will be an Amazon DotD soon too.

From a few reviews I read...

Basically the game is too easy, its all about having your guys in right position to attack--and that is all they really do, attack the closest enemy (unless you're telling them to do something else).

I think the lack of difficulty or compexity, combined with some really awful touch screen controls, it was a pretty bad title. I think one reviewer stated it seemed as if they realized how bad the touch controls were and then ended up chopping up the difficulty to make it more playable.

If you're going to spend $40 on a DS RTS, you might as well get the PAL import of Ys Strategy.

I bought it at release when Best Buy had it on sale for $30, and I just finished it over the weekend.

I thought it was pretty good overall, but it's the first RTS game I've ever played. Controls were good, pathfinding could be better (but not impossible to deal with).

[quote name='banpeikun']how can there be PAL DS games?[/QUOTE]

European releases. Are you trying to say they aren't considered PAL format because they aren't run on a TV or something? I'm confused.

[quote name='freshzen']Are you trying to say they aren't considered PAL format because they aren't run on a TV or something? [/quote]yes

[quote name='freshzen']European releases. Are you trying to say they aren't considered PAL format because they aren't run on a TV or something? I'm confused.[/quote]
That's exactly why PAL handheld games don't exist, just like NTSC handheld games don't exist. You can't extend television format standards to devices that don't involve the television at all. Just say a EUR or euro import if you mean a game from Europe. If there was an actual PAL/NTSC issue you wouldn't be able to conventionally play an import game from outside your format, regionless be damned.

bread's done
Back