Did I do well with this deal? MW3 console special edition.

Central Scrutinizer

CAGiversary!
I found the MW3 limited edition console at NewEgg.com for $299 recently (don't bother, it's back to $349 now). My 120 GB Elite was three years old, and I had been thinking about getting a slim at some point. As I also needed not one but two new controllers, and this had them packed into the box, that was another point in favor of getting the LE.

So, I pulled the trigger and got it. $299.99.

Then, I sold my existing 120 GB console on Craigslist for $130.

I took the copy of MW3 included, and traded it in to BestBuy for $37.50 in credit towards Diablo 3 ($25 for the game, plus 50% bonus credit for applying it to D3 preorder).

So, after all the dealing was done, and factored in, the upgrade actually only cost me $132.49.

But wait, there's more. Newegg seemed to be having system issues on the first day I tried to order it, because they were unable to process my order. I sent in a complaint. I was able to complete the order the next day with no problems. A couple of days later, I received an apology from NewEgg, and had $20 credited back to my card. So, the actual total was really only $112.49.

For that $112.49, I basically swapped my 120 GB out-of-warranty Elite for a new, slimline (much quieter!), MW3 console with full warranty...upgraded my hard drive from 120 to 320 MB, and got two brand new 360 hand controllers.

A few friends thought I was pretty dumb to spend $300 on a new console when the one I had already worked, but once I explained to them how it all broke down, they thought it wasn't a bad deal at all. Any CAG opinions?

Not bad at all. Too bad I like the GOW3 console better than the MW3. But if you got that, you would have not gotten any where near the $37.50 for Gears 3. Gotta love CAG though! If it wasn't for this website, I wouldn't have half the stuff I do now. Don't know if that is good or bad? :p

I know what you mean. I mean, yeah, I save money, but how much more would I save if I weren't buying this stuff at all? :lol:

Oh yeah, they had the GoW3 console for the same price (it went back up, too). I just found the silver to be a lot more tasteful than the red of the other SE console.

The Star Wars console coming out looks sweet, but for $449.99 - and the fact I now have a brand-new 360 - not going near it. Kinda wonder, though, if getting one, leaving it in the original packaging, and pulling it out for an auction in about 15-20 years might not be a worthwhile endeavor.

Not bad at all. I upgraded from an arcade to a slim and gave the arcade to my brother. At this point I don't really trust the Phats to run for that much longer haha.

[quote name='Central Scrutinizer']I found the MW3 limited edition console at NewEgg.com for $299 recently (don't bother, it's back to $349 now). My 120 GB Elite was three years old, and I had been thinking about getting a slim at some point. As I also needed not one but two new controllers, and this had them packed into the box, that was another point in favor of getting the LE.

So, I pulled the trigger and got it. $299.99.

Then, I sold my existing 120 GB console on Craigslist for $130.

I took the copy of MW3 included, and traded it in to BestBuy for $37.50 in credit towards Diablo 3 ($25 for the game, plus 50% bonus credit for applying it to D3 preorder).

So, after all the dealing was done, and factored in, the upgrade actually only cost me $132.49.

But wait, there's more. Newegg seemed to be having system issues on the first day I tried to order it, because they were unable to process my order. I sent in a complaint. I was able to complete the order the next day with no problems. A couple of days later, I received an apology from NewEgg, and had $20 credited back to my card. So, the actual total was really only $112.49.

For that $112.49, I basically swapped my 120 GB out-of-warranty Elite for a new, slimline (much quieter!), MW3 console with full warranty...upgraded my hard drive from 120 to 320 MB, and got two brand new 360 hand controllers.

A few friends thought I was pretty dumb to spend $300 on a new console when the one I had already worked, but once I explained to them how it all broke down, they thought it wasn't a bad deal at all. Any CAG opinions?[/QUOTE]

SMH, NewEgg wouldn't even send me my 12 month gold card right away when they sent me 1600 MS pts instead and you get a $20 credit for it being a day delayed? I hate them.

Well you got the MW3 console for what the rest of us got it for a week ago ($280) after your credit.

It was at $280 for at least a day if not longer. It is a really good deal. If you're not partial to the controlllers or already have ones from your other controller you could easily get $35+ for them depending on what route you go to dump them off.

not bad at all, I've done the similar xbox upgrades from an original xbox to a jasper unit, 20-120, and now the jasper 120 to the slim being the most recent one. none of my friends understood what I was doing either, until I was done doing the complete trade up and they saw the end result.

bread's done
Back