Did I get screwed?

JBaby

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Just a general question. I couldn't find any comparable info on doing google searches. I bought a Pioneer AVH DVD in-dash player for my 04 WRX from Amazon. The price at Amazon was awesome, but I needed to get it installed. Apparently, there is something with the e-break line needing to be off in order for the in-dash DVD player not to play... Whatever.

I decided not to attempt the install myself and took it to Car Toys. They charged my $312 for the install! I didn't have a wire harness, but that's only like $15 bucks. There was some bracket or something, but it only cost $20 or so. I think the labor and install was $250 and it took them about an hour. Any opinions?

They charged you book time, more than likely. Which is legal, if its anything like a mechanic/auto body shop.

Did you get a quote before you agreed to the labor? Not much you can do about the situation

No they charged up-front, for the full amount including labor. I was expecting it to take 3-4 hours, but they called me one hour later. $312 for one hour of work sounded excessive.

If that's over book price...you might be able to contact the BBB and file a claim...I'd always suggest getting a quote first. If they won't give you one - go somewhere else...what state/city was this?

Colorado Springs, CO. I called Best Buy and Circuit City, the didn't sound too knowledgable and I wanted this to be done right. On the plus side, the unit does work well and looks great too.

From my understanding, they are allowed to charge book time. If they charged you that, there is nothing you can do as that is their bonus for finishing the work early. They could've easily called you in 3-4 hours and you wouldn't of though twice. Ask to see book time and if it matches with what they charged you then you actually got hooked up not having to wait the extra time.

Damn, nice price. I just bought a new car and Mazda charged $4000 for the navigation which I had to get if I wanted a moon-roof and smart key. Bastards! Enjoy!

Can anyone briefly explain book time?

I don't have anything to offer. I installed an amp/sub in my 02 eclipse with 0 prior knowledge and $50 worth (retail) of wire over the course of a few hours without having to drill for the power line. If you're handy and have the tools, you should have done it yourself if you were wary of install prices. The WRX should have a big enough community with an internet forum detailing similar installs. (I was lucky to find a good 3g eclipse forum the week before I bought)

I used to work in CC in car stereo sales, and you wouldn't have spent more than $150 for the install, with about the same installation time and needed items. Usually smaller stores are going to charge you ALOT more, though.

Hey JBaby,

Any chance that unit displays cover art from embedded mp3's? Like an ipod will do. I've been looking for a unit that will do this.

[quote name='txredneckmedic']umm....you got screwed....its a job you coulda done in about the same amount of time.[/quote]

You can't say that without knowing how technical the OP is. YOU may be able to do it in an hour, but not everybody could.

OP - it's installed and working great - forget about the money and enjoy it!

[quote name='JBaby']Just a general question. I couldn't find any comparable info on doing google searches. I bought a Pioneer AVH DVD in-dash player for my 04 WRX from Amazon. The price at Amazon was awesome, but I needed to get it installed. Apparently, there is something with the e-break line needing to be off in order for the in-dash DVD player not to play... Whatever.

I decided not to attempt the install myself and took it to Car Toys. They charged my $312 for the install! I didn't have a wire harness, but that's only like $15 bucks. There was some bracket or something, but it only cost $20 or so. I think the labor and install was $250 and it took them about an hour. Any opinions?[/quote]I got my DVD player installed for free during a CC sale and the guy did that e-break thing under the table for $15.

LOL I guess I'm the only person who has a older car(91 Dynasty) on here who thinks paying over $20-25 for a standard radio with MAYBE an old style cassette player is overpaying?

Either way, I say ya got screwed OP. Then again, you paid how much for the unit that was installed in the first place?

bread's done
Back