Did the Wii just corrupt my Gamecube Memory Cards?

Zeeman

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Ok, so I've searched the forums and haven't found any really conclusive answers or results. Anyway, I've been playing my old Gamecube games on the Wii passing time until newer games come out so I know things have been working properly. For your information, I use the Official 1019 Gamecube Memory Card by Nintendo.

Last Friday, a few of my friends come over for dinner and they want to play Donkey Konga 2. So I load it up for them and notice that it says that the save data has been corrupted and asks if I want to format. I say no, and I take out the memory card and put it back in and it works fine.

Today, I decided to mess around in Melee since I haven't played it in a while. Same problem occurred and the same solution fixed it (taking it out and putting it back in). I decide that this is getting annoying, so I move all the data off the 1019 card and spread it amongst my official 256 and 58 cards (I can't remember what the exact numbers are, but the other two official memory cards). I format the 1019 and move the data back onto it and try to play Smash bros.

However, it says the data is corrupted and asks me to format. This time, removing the card and putting it back in does not work at all. Some how, I guess the Data itself is corrupted which is weird since I can see it in the Data Management mode just find. I've been actively using the Gamecube memory card too since I've been playing Donkey Kong Jungle Beat and other cube games.

Does anyone know of any solution? I don't want to admit that I have lost game data for multiple games yet and I do believe I can figure out some sort of solution. What I really want to know is what is causing this problem! Thanks for your help

Ok, so I've done some searching on Google and apparently many people have suffered this problem. Something about Wii + 1019 = corruption at some point. If you just type 1019 corrupt wii, you'll get a bunch of different posts. Has anybody else suffered this problem?

I've been reading and some people said they can be more unstable. But at the time it saved me money to buy the 1019 rather then buying a bunch of 251's

I just had this problem with a SSBM save last week on a 1019 card. I got the data corupt message, powered down and re-inserted and the data read fine.

Considering how many problems I've had with Nintendo and off brand memory cards, I just figured it was par for the course. I get the same problem with saves for Rebel Strike and Clone Wars, but re-insertion doesn't work. It's happened so many times I can't bring myself to play them anymore.

[quote name='Nohbdy']Aren't the larger capacity cards just plain prone to problems?[/quote]

Yes. I have my game files backed up on a 251. And the 1016 wouldn't take my F-Zero info for the 251. I think that might be the game through.

Yeah, the F-zero files are unmovable. I'm going to sit around and not do anything for a while. I heard that perhaps the data gets corrupted because the Wii gets too hot? I've turned off standby and WiiConnect 24 and am hoping that after a couple of days things will get better. Otherwise, I'll have to go through and see what is exactly corrupted.

I heard a good method to deal with games is to use the 59 card actively and then back everything up that I'm not playing on the 1019.

Well. On October 22, 2007 at 3:00pm my Gamecube Memory Card went fully corrupt. I could not even view it via the data managment. The only option I had was to reformat. RIP to the following game saves:

Super Smash Bros Melee (100% complete with all trophies)
Pikmin
Bomberman Generations (100% complete)
Star Fox Adventures
Capcom vs SNK 2 (custom character colors and four awesome replays)
Timesplitters 2 (100% complete with all arcade characters unlocked...siiigh)
Mario Power Tennis (all players star)
Mario Kart: Double Dash (100%)
Legend of Zelda Wind Waker
Splinter Cell
Star Wars Rogue Squadron 2: Rogue Leader (all gold medals including endurance...took me four hours for that dumb level...arrrgh)
Donkey Konga 2 (all songs on Gorilla unlocked)
Mega Man Anniversary Collection (1-8 all beaten)
Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes
Metroid Prime (100% scan data on hard)
Metroid Prime 2 (was about to go through on hard and do a 100%)
Prince of Persia (100% run through)
Skies of Arcadia
Resident Evil 4 (going through hard)
Star Fox Assault (almost all gold medals)
Viewtiful Joe (almost fully loaded Joe for very hard)

Man... what a mouthful. My question now is:

After reformatting my 1019 Card, can I trust it to keep my data again? Or will it eventually betray me down the line?

Hmm, I just noticed the same thing happening to my card this morning. Granted I do have a 3rd party EMS card that allows me to download and upload .GCI saves from the web. However, the gamecube never gave me any problems with it.
When I used it this morning, the Wii rejected it saying it was 'corrupt'. I reinserted it, and it read it without problems. I do have a few 251 cards around, so I think I'm just going to copy the 'current game' files that I'm playing over to those to avoid losing data.

It was an official 1019 card licensed by Nintendo. I'm not sure if I should use it again, or find some 251's online somewhere. Thoughts?

I have the same problem....I have the official 1019 card and it corrupts everytime, I stopped using it and am using my old memory card 59's.

Yep all my saves recently corrupted. Wii and Official 1019. I think it's because the Wii gets warm when in standby (and yeah warmer when it's running,) heats rises and the memory card slots are on the top when the Wii is vertical. I think this exposure to heat over a long period of time killed it.

mine are all corrupted and i have to jiggle it around and take it out a few times before it loads my melee stuff

I always thought it was just my wii and was going to get it replaced (eb warranty)

bread's done
Back