Diddy Kong Racing (N64)

Kong Kart

Up until the November of 1997, Mario Kart 64 had a stranglehold on the multi-player kart-racing mindset. It's because that November, Rare's Diddy Kong Racing roared onto the Nintendo 64 with more options, more things to do, more tracks, more racers, and subjectively more fun. Does Diddy Kong Racing rev its way up to first place, or does it get lapped by its predecessors?

http://superphillipcentral.blogspot.com/2009/11/diddy-kong-racing-n64-retro-review.html

And vote on my poll! :)

Whle Diddy Kong Racing was solid, I don't think it was as good as mario kart racing. Sure it had more options and variety, but I just felt quality wise, it can't compete.

[quote name='fyffem']Whle Diddy Kong Racing was solid, I don't think it was as good as mario kart racing. Sure it had more options and variety, but I just felt quality wise, it can't compete.[/QUOTE]

I hated HATED H-A-T-E-D Mario Kart 64's ultra cheap rubber-band AI.

This game felt like it was the only decent alternative to Mario Kart except for it not making a lick of sense. I still rank it above Crash Team Cart Racing though. That game was fun but annoying repetitive.

How is the DS port of this game compared to the N64 version?

It had a lot of gimmicks that ruined the experience such as blowing into the mic at the start of the race to give a starting boost to your hovercraft or rolling the stylus in a circle to spin your airplane's copter blade. Voices were taken out, four new tracks were added, a lame create-a-course feature was implemented, and online play was added for up to six players. Overall, a fun but flawed port.

I loved this game. Much better than MK64, if you ask me.

Crash Team Racing was also very good (around that era), and I also liked it better than MK64. The 64 version is about the only one in the Kart series I really don't like much.

I played the shit out of this game when i was a kid.
5.gif

haha, I remember unlocking TT and thinking it was the coolest character ever. then I realized it was completely unfair in almost every race.

bread's done
Back