Difference between DC broadband adaptor and 56k modem?

snipegod

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I'm curious as to the visual difference between a Dreamcast broadband adaptor and the regular 56k modem?

My question stems from the fact that I recently bought a used Dreamcast for the first time at EB Games B&M (they're $9.99 there now for anyone who needs one). Just out of curiosity's sake, I was looking on eBay at the broadband adaptors (only 8 auctions were listed) and the pictures in the auctions look exactly like the modem on the side of my Dreamcast.

It'd be hard to believe that my used Dreamcast that I bought for 10 bucks had a broadband adaptor in it, rather than a regular 56k modem.

So, can someone post pictures showing the visual difference between the two so that I can either rejoice in my luck or be confirmed in my suspicion. Thanks.

the modem looks the same as far as i know. the only difference is the plug in it.

if you have a phone cord laying around or some broadband/cat 5 cord try one of them.

Ok. It seems that, as reason would imply, I have a regular 56k modem.

However, my main curiosity came from the eBay seller in the link I'm providing. The second picture (the one with the "complies with part 68 ..." sticker) has the exact same label as my modem. Apparently, he's selling a regular 56k modem as a broadband one, or the two just have the same sticker.

eBay link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41053&item=8120625385&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Either way, thanks for the replies.

Funny how the seller in that auction never actually shows the picture of the connection point.

It's most likely that what he is selling is a 56k modem adapter and not a BBA. It says on the adapter required connection is RJ11 which is telephone wiring.

BBA would be RJ45.

Either the dude is shady, or the sticker is the same for the modem adapter and the BBA.

man dreamcast for 9.99... make me wana pick up one for every room in my house since i love mine so much! where else can you fine $1 -$5 GREAT games? no where, except maybe circuit city...

Quake III is still online as many clan servers have the DC hosting pack so you're playing against PC users. If you're on a DC with dialup.... expect a thrashing.

Sega has shut down all DC servers. I think the user PSO servers are urban legend as I'm almost 100% sure that they require a GameShark or Xploder to even log into. So guess what... even if you find them to play on them they're going to be cheaters. Probably not PK'ers and FSOD'ers but item modders and dupers, I mean who wants to kill players when only 20 people may be still playing?

I'm not sure if Unreal Tournament had a DC/PC hybrid game mix. I know they did for Q3. I hated this game so much I never knew if there was a PC/DC pack.

Trust me when I say compared to XBL the PS2 and hell... even the GameCube the Dreamcast was not a good online machine. Main reason is the number of games that never supported the BBA in the first place.

Regardless I could still pick a list of 50 DC games get a 4x memory card and be one happy camper. Best enthusiast gaming machine ever made.

[quote name='PittsburghAfterDark']Sega has shut down all DC servers. I think the user PSO servers are urban legend as I'm almost 100% sure that they require a GameShark or Xploder to even log into. So guess what... even if you find them to play on them they're going to be cheaters. Probably not PK'ers and FSOD'ers but item modders and dupers, I mean who wants to kill players when only 20 people may be still playing?[/quote]

Actually the people who play on Schtack's server are all pretty cool. They have a cheater's ship and a legit ship. That way, if you wanna experiment with some stuff you can, but when you really wanna play right, you can always play on the legit ship.

They also have the PSO PC version for download at his site.

[quote name='int80h']The DC ethernet adapter is rare and in high demand, going for $150+ on ebay.[/quote]

Seriously? I may have to consider selling mine.

[quote name='Mr. Anderson'][quote name='Grave_Addiction'][quote name='Tromack'][quote name='PsyClerk']What DC games are still online now?[/quote] Aren't there player hosted PSO's still?[/quote]

Check out my article on Schtack's server at my site here, http://www.dreamcastersrealm.com/features/PSO_feature.htm[/quote]

That was a great article, Grave.[/quote]

Hey thanks alot, man. Keep checking back in with the site. We'll be adding some different things pretty soon and switching to Nuke.

I started a great thread. W00t!

(Sarcasm, people ... well, at least with the "w00t").

So, to clarify, there's no way to play Dreamcast online unless you have one of two things: a dial-up ISP or a broadband connection and a DC broadband adaptor?

I really doubt you got a BBA with a 10 buck DC. I have heard of it happen but the BBA is really rare. The home brew people use the BBA to makes games. And you can still use the BBA to surf the net. I wish I had one. But I'm not willing to drop over 100 bucks to get one.

[quote name='KingDox']I really doubt you got a BBA with a 10 buck DC. I have heard of it happen but the BBA is really rare. The home brew people use the BBA to makes games. And you can still use the BBA to surf the net. I wish I had one. But I'm not willing to drop over 100 bucks to get one.[/quote]

It'll be interesting to see if any of the folk who bought out the DCs at EB got a BBA.

bread's done
Back