Digital Camera Shopping

m1lesteg

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
I'm headed back to school tomorrow morning, and I'm hoping to head over to Circuit City in a few hours to find a digital camera to buy. I'm not looking for anything fancy - just something I can slip in and out of my pocket quickly, namely for purposes of photographing drunken debaucheries and posting them on the web.

I'm looking to spend a maximum of 300 dollars, which I figure will leave my options pretty open, considering I'm not looking for anything major. What would you guys recommend as far as this goes? I know very little about these things.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']I've been considering the Canon A95 myself. One of my friends just got one a couple months ago and so far is very satisfied.[/QUOTE]

I bought that camera last month. Great fucking camera too. Definately recommend it.

Canon SD300 normally $350 and I ordered mine from dell.com this week for $225 shipped(but still got charged sales tax). I found the deal on fatwallet and since I was looking for this exact camera and couldn't find it for less than $275, I jumped on this deal.

Pretty much everyone I talked to and every review I read said that Canon (pretty much any model) is basically the best digital camera brand you can buy.

Canons have better picture quality than the Sonys (at least in that price range). my source is cnet.com as well as talking to people who own Sony cameras.

To tell you the truth, I think I would rather get a phone like the LG VX8100 that has a great picture quality, 1.3 megapixels, and not have to carry the camera around with me everywhere. I am not a big picture guy and if there is an event where I need a camera then I buy a disposable, otherwise I just snap a shot with my phone.

[quote name='nevposey']To tell you the truth, I think I would rather get a phone like the LG VX8100 that has a great picture quality, 1.3 megapixels, and not have to carry the camera around with me everywhere. I am not a big picture guy and if there is an event where I need a camera then I buy a disposable, otherwise I just snap a shot with my phone.[/QUOTE]

Then consider the Pentax Optio S. It's the size of a business card and can fit inside an Altoids case and is 3.2MP. Check the link I posted a while back.

Just got a Canon PowerShot S70 the other day...I think it might be a little bit higher than your price range, but it is a damn nice camera.

Canon or Sony is definitely the way to go. Both have several models around your price range that have nearly identical features. You can't go wrong with either brand.

why get the Optio S when you can get the S5i for around 300?

amazing camera

read steve's digicam reviews, one of the most respected reviewers on the web.

[quote name='nevposey']To tell you the truth, I think I would rather get a phone like the LG VX8100 that has a great picture quality, 1.3 megapixels, and not have to carry the camera around with me everywhere. I am not a big picture guy and if there is an event where I need a camera then I buy a disposable, otherwise I just snap a shot with my phone.[/QUOTE]

1.3 great quality? What are you smokin'?

[quote name='jaykrue']Then consider the Pentax Optio S. It's the size of a business card and can fit inside an Altoids case and is 3.2MP. Check the link I posted a while back.[/QUOTE]

I still like the 8100 because it seems so durable. I think if I go too small then I will lose it.

[quote name='nevposey']I still like the 8100 because it seems so durable. I think if I go too small then I will lose it.[/QUOTE]

The Optio is quite durable I assure you. You'd have to pretty much throw it down intentionally to break it. There's a handle that you can buy so you don't lose it. I use it mainly to document papers and such as well as take pics of the pretty girls I meet.

[quote name='Sleepkyng']why get the Optio S when you can get the S5i for around 300?
amazing camera
read steve's digicam reviews, one of the most respected reviewers on the web.[/QUOTE]

I'll check it out. I've been out of the digicam cutting edge for quite some time as my S does a pretty good job as it is.

bread's done
Back