Digital converter box

simpleblur

CAGiversary!
Does anyone know a good deal for a digital converter box? Add a question; if one was not able to receive analog signals with an antennae before, does it mean they won't be able to receive a digital signal even with a digital converter box?

Probably the best deal would be the $40 off government coupon for the boxes. Only certain (basic) models apply for the discount, but it puts most of them at the $10-20 range after the coupon. You can apply for the coupon here:
http://dtv2009.org

For your other question, if you were completely unable to pick up analog signals with an antenna, then it is unlikely that you'd pick up a digital signal either.

[quote name='gumpy5']Probably the best deal would be the $40 off government coupon for the boxes. Only certain (basic) models apply for the discount, but it puts most of them at the $10-20 range after the coupon. You can apply for the coupon here:
http://dtv2009.org

For your other question, if you were completely unable to pick up analog signals with an antenna, then it is unlikely that you'd pick up a digital signal either.[/QUOTE]
This.

If you couldn't get an antenna signal before, you certainly won't with the converter box. You'll probably need an outdoor antenna.

That being said, the Zenith DTT900/901 or the Insignia NS-DXA1 (same box, different logo) is probably the best box after the $40 subsidy.

I don't know if you can get cable or not, or have Comcast, but they're offering basic cable for 10 bucks a month for a year

Thanks for the responses. LMAO though, if I can't get a signal w/ converter box. And it was with an outdoor antenna that there were no channel reception.

[quote name='MrDubbs']I don't know if you can get cable or not, or have Comcast, but they're offering basic cable for 10 bucks a month for a year[/QUOTE]

Cable is bull, don't give the greedy telecoms money for anything other than internet -- you can get all the network shows online anyway. Output to your PC to your TV if you can't catch the free broadcast -- don't give a telecom your money.

There was a deal for an Airlink converter box at fry's that started this Monday but I think ended yesterday. It was free if you had the government coupon. They might do this sale again though. I saw that they had a truck ton of airlink converter boxes so I wouldn't be surprised if they put it on sale again.

Zenith or Insignia are the tops. But be warned. The coupon usually works after tax, so you'll be getting a $60 box for about $25ish, unless you live in a sales tax free-state or something.

[quote name='simpleblur']Thanks for the responses. LMAO though, if I can't get a signal w/ converter box. And it was with an outdoor antenna that there were no channel reception.[/quote]
FYI...some stations aren't broadcasting digitally at full strength yet, and they won't until they discontinue their analog station. So you won't really know for sure until 2/17.

I'm actually getting one for my mom she's in a different household, would it matter if I sent it to the same email if I've used that email before for my own household?

[quote name='simpleblur']I'm actually getting one for my mom she's in a different household, would it matter if I sent it to the same email if I've used that email before for my own household?[/QUOTE]
I wouldn't chance it. Email addresses are so easy to make - set a free account up for stuff you sign her up for.

bread's done
Back