What are the best PS1 games and how cheap can I get them?

Quackzilla

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
Never play a PS1 game in my life, I was a hardcore Nintendo fanboy in the 1990s.

I just bought a PS1 memory card, and FF7 is in the mail, and my PS2 plays CD-ROM games perfectly. (the launch model PS2 that I bought used on ebay that shipped in a large box only padded by a newspaper, I am a lucky bastard)

What are some really good games that I should try first? I heard a lot of hype about Tomb Raider and Syphon Filter.

Also, what kind of prices should I look for?

Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete
Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete

...They are kinda pricey though...but so worth it!

Ummmm legacy of kain games were pretty good back in the day, and obviously if you like RPG's there are plenty of games to choose from.

Final Fantasy 7
Point Blank 1,2,3 with guncon if you can even find this game and gun
Time Crisis- Need guncon 1 to play I believe just like with the point blanks
Final Fantasy Tactics
Crash Bandicoot
Gex

Plenty more, but thats a start.

Xenogears GH
Valkyrie Profile ($50-100 on ebay)
Final Fantasy Tactics GH
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night GH
Final Fantasy Chronicles (Includes Chrono Trigger and FFIV) GH

The problem is that most of the best ones are expensive. Some cheap ones include: Mega Man X4, Silent Hill, Strikers 1945, and Herc's Adventures(but only if you find it at EB/Gamestop).Stay away from the FF Anthologies though. If you played these on their original platforms and go to the PSX versions; you're soul will be obliterated by the load times.

o_O. Im really tempted to buy a whole bunch of PS1 games now. Thank you everyone.

Im not really big into rpgs but Legend of the Dragoon was pretty cool. Might wanna pick that up too while Im at it. (Sadly my Eb seems to switch off on inventory between Ps1 and Dreamcast games)

Strategy; Ogre Battle, Tactics Ogre, Final Fantasy Tactics, Kartia.

RPG; Tales of Destiny & Destiny 2, Persona & Persona 2, Thousand Arms, and my personal favorite Legend of Mana.

Adventure; Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Tomb Raider, Soul Reaver

Platformers; Klonoa, Gex, Mega Man X4

Fighters; Guilty Gear (2D), Street Fighter Alpha $ Alpha 2 (2D),
Rival Schools (3D), Tekken 2 (3D)

Street Fighter Alpha 3
Castlevania Symphony of the Night
Resident Evil Directors Cut
Resident Evil 2
King of Fighters 99
Metal Gear Solid
Final Fantasy 9
Star Ocean the second story
Sled Storm

Shit i could go on forever

[quote name='Quackzilla']Adventure, action, strategy, pretty much anything but sports.[/QUOTE]

These weren't mentioned and you should be able to find these for decent prices...

Ape Escape (very fun game)
Kagero: Deception II (awful graphics but the gameplay is gold)
Star Trek: Invasion (high dificulty, but fun)

[quote name='kaw']It's been mentioned above, but I'm going to list it again for emphasis: Final Fantasy Tactics[/QUOTE]

Wow, you stole my post :lol:

Final Fantasy VII, VIII, Tactics, Chronicles, Orgins (I never played IX or Anthology, yet)
Suikoden I and II (part II isn't cheap!)
Xenogears
Lunar 1
Lunar 2
Castlevania Chronicles (a little tough to find)
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Arc the Lad Collection (usually around $30 used (they are usually complete), $50 new (if you can find them) at Gamestop)
Street Fighter Alpha 3

There is more, but that's all I remember for now.

how can you not buy Irritating Stick

tube_slider_irritating.jpg

My friends and I very much enjoyed the original Jet Moto back in the day. Not sure if it's withstood the test of time (haven't played it in years) but it was a blast then, and probably is cheap.

[quote name='daroga']My friends and I very much enjoyed the original Jet Moto back in the day. Not sure if it's withstood the test of time (haven't played it in years) but it was a blast then, and probably is cheap.[/QUOTE]

My buddy and I used to play Jet Moto 1 and 2 all the time back in the day. I really wish I hadn't traded them in years ago. I think I've seen the original one for a couple bucks though, so I might pick it up again.

Jumping Flash 1 and 2
Wipeout series (although seems a LOT slower after my time with Burnout 3)
Strider 2
Herc's Adventures
FF7
Buster Bros Collection
Raiden Project
Star Ocean 2
FF Origins
M Gear Solid
... etc... etc... etc

[quote name='jfunkdpg']My buddy and I used to play Jet Moto 1 and 2 all the time back in the day. I really wish I hadn't traded them in years ago. I think I've seen the original one for a couple bucks though, so I might pick it up again.[/QUOTE]

I seem to remember being pumped for the sequel, and then feeling like it kinda sucked. Although, I may be totally misremembering that.

Some of my favorites that haven't already been mentioned:

Wild ARMS (just the first one, the second one isn't as good IMHO)
Jade Cocoon
Broken Sword: Shadows of the Templar (port of a pc adventure game, pc version is probably better though)
Ridge Racer
Um Jammer Lammy
and MegaMan Legends 2

None of these should cost you more than $15 a piece. The Ridge Racer games you can probably pick up for under $5 a piece. And enjoy your ps1, I know I still do :)

Hell, i plan on picking up about 30 psx 1 games sometime next week. If you want to check out a list of some of the best psx 1 games, might wanna head over to ebgames, then just roll to the store and pick up some. The good ones, that other people might think suck cost 1.49 - 3.99.

Reality's Fringe said:
The problem is that most of the best ones are expensive. Some cheap ones include: Mega Man X4, Silent Hill, Strikers 1945, and Herc's Adventures(but only if you find it at EB/Gamestop).Stay away from the FF Anthologies though. If you played these on their original platforms and go to the PSX versions; you're soul will be obliterated by the load times.

bullshit... only the elite "overhyped" RPGs are expensive..

Legacy of Kain games run 1-3 dollars at GS.

FF7 15 new everywhere

just go to Ebgames.com and look at their games.

I suggest Gran Turismo 1 & 2 easily had for under 5 bucks

Metal Gear Solid (just bought my copy at EB for 4 bucks)

I will vouch for the Lunar games, but they aren't that bad (30 )

Parasite Eve is a great game thats cheap

The resident evil games are easily availible.

there are so many cheap games that its really you can't go wrong with any of them.

I got Legacy of Kain, Tomb Raider, Syphon FIleter, and traded for Final Fantasy 7.

I started playing Syphon Filter, but when FF7 came in the mail I started playing it and holy shit that game is awesome!

By the way, I saw a 4 disc FF7 OST with about 85 tracks, is it good or crappy like the Ocarina of Time OST? Is it worth the $30+ price tag?

If it's only $30+, it's prolly a bootleg. Did you see it in-store or online? The label you want to look for is DigiCube. Though it might be changed now since they went bankrupt late 2003.

[quote name='Quackzilla']I got Legacy of Kain, Tomb Raider, Syphon FIleter, and traded for Final Fantasy 7.

I started playing Syphon Filter, but when FF7 came in the mail I started playing it and holy shit that game is awesome!

By the way, I saw a 4 disc FF7 OST with about 85 tracks, is it good or crappy like the Ocarina of Time OST? Is it worth the $30+ price tag?[/QUOTE]

The FF7 OST is exactly ripped from the game. I enjoy it. Although, for me, it was great to be very familiar with the soundtrack and then jam to the redone FF7:AC OST. :)

I don't think these were mentioned yet:

tomba!
front mission 3
wipeout xl
vagrant story
all of them still kick ass

[quote name='urzishra14']bullshit... only the elite "overhyped" RPGs are expensive..

Legacy of Kain games run 1-3 dollars at GS.

FF7 15 new everywhere

just go to Ebgames.com and look at their games.

I suggest Gran Turismo 1 & 2 easily had for under 5 bucks

Metal Gear Solid (just bought my copy at EB for 4 bucks)

I will vouch for the Lunar games, but they aren't that bad (30 )

Parasite Eve is a great game thats cheap

The resident evil games are easily availible.

there are so many cheap games that its really you can't go wrong with any of them.[/QUOTE]

I'm lookin at all my PS1 games (which I love dearly) and most of them cost me more than $10 a piece. I consider cheap to be sub $10. If you count only the more expensive ones as the higher tag RPGs, then yes, there are literally years worth of cheap games. I forgot the Parasite Eve series, excellent games, but depending on where you get them they can run a little much (Try EB or GS to avoid a $15+ tag). Also try for the Megaman Legends series. I'd reccomend the RE remake to the original, unless you really want to hear some bad voice acting.

[quote name='daroga']The FF7 OST is exactly ripped from the game. I enjoy it. Although, for me, it was great to be very familiar with the soundtrack and then jam to the redone FF7:AC OST. :)[/QUOTE]
So it's just a rip of the midis?

For Ocarina of Time, all they did was rip the midis, but I found high quality mp3s on the internet that I downloaded that totally blows the OST out of the water.

Is there an orchestrated, or at least high quality synthesized, FF7 soundtrack?

[quote name='spydey']
Spyro
[/QUOTE]

I remember really liking the music in that game. IIRC, the soundtrack was done by Stewart Copeland (drummer for The Police).

Some of my favorites for my PS1 would have to be:
Final Fantasy Tactics
Legend of Dragoon
Chrono Cross
Parasite Eve
Resident Evil 3: Nemesis
Daraon Warrior 7
Metal Gear Solid
Castlevania: Symphony Of The Night

bread's done
Back