Dilemna: I want to buy a Sega CD-X.

PhrostByte

CAG Newbie
But, I don't want to pay eBay prices. I'm SOL right?

EDIT: So I finally got a CDX! Off craigslist! But not my city's craigslist.. I actually just searched the lists of random cities until I came upon a total of 2 on the whole site. One guy wanted like $150 for his. Another only wanted $40. So basically, I got the CDX, composite cable, power adapter, 1 6-button controller, Spider-Man Maximum Carnage, some other Genesis game w/ manual and case, Microcosm CD, the Sega CD sampler disc with Ecco the Dolphin and a bunch of Genesis games, and Prize Fighter CD!

The only problem is I already had a Prize Fighter CD copy... anyone want to trade? It's in good condition and I'll trade it for any Sega CD game I don't have or 1 or 2 Genesis games that I'm looking for.. please let me know!

One more thing, composite cables are the highest quality ones you can get for the Genesis/CD-X right? No S-video?

[quote name='PhrostByte']But, I don't want to pay eBay prices. I'm SOL right?[/QUOTE]

Errr, yes. They usually go for $80 or so, their not that expensive at all. Unless you get lucky at a yard sale, just spend the money.

[quote name='GizmoGC']Errr, yes. They usually go for $80 or so, their not that expensive at all. Unless you get lucky at a yard sale, just spend the money.[/quote]

$80 aint all that great of a price considering I can emulate both systems for free... I was looking at paying around $50 or so. I noticed there was an X'eye available on eBay for $30 BIN today and I was thinking about buying it... but then 10 minutes later it was gone.

[quote name='PhrostByte']$80 aint all that great of a price considering I can emulate both systems for free... I was looking at paying around $50 or so. I noticed there was an X'eye available on eBay for $30 BIN today and I was thinking about buying it... but then 10 minutes later it was gone.[/QUOTE]

:roll:

Then don't buy it. I don't think anyone is going to feel sorry for you an offer to sell it to you for half its value because you can emualate them.

[quote name='GizmoGC']:roll:

Then don't buy it. I don't think anyone is going to feel sorry for you an offer to sell it to you for half its value because you can emualate them.[/quote]

As if I'm asking people to feel sorry for me? No buddy.. I was actually looking for tips on how to get a decent deal... but thanks anyway. :\

Try your local thrift stores/pawn shops and yard/garage sales. It's how I got my Virtual Boy for five bucks, and fifty dollar PSP.

All you need is patience...and a lot of free weekends.

[quote name='thegarageband']Try your local thrift stores/pawn shops and yard/garage sales. It's how I got my Virtual Boy for five bucks, and fifty dollar PSP.

All you need is patience...and a lot of free weekends.[/quote]

I think that's what I'm about to start doing... there actually are a decent amount around. Last week I went to one but there weren't too many video games.. I did however find a complete copy of Lost Vikings, that was cool. :)

Try craigslist as well. Ive seen two CDX's for sale in the past couple of months for ~30 each. Granted, I barely missed out on both of them (I'm looking for one as well).

Aside from that, for 50 bucks or lower, you can always just get the beast that is a Model 2 Genesis/Sega CD. I'm presently holding out for now, as my budget is...well, I have no money. As such, Ill get by with playing Snather on my computer for now.

[quote name='KeyserSoze81']Try craigslist as well. Ive seen two CDX's for sale in the past couple of months for ~30 each. Granted, I barely missed out on both of them (I'm looking for one as well).

Aside from that, for 50 bucks or lower, you can always just get the beast that is a Model 2 Genesis/Sega CD. I'm presently holding out for now, as my budget is...well, I have no money. As such, Ill get by with playing Snather on my computer for now.[/quote]

Yeah.. craigslist is a decent idea.. I've been checking but haven't had much luck. For some reason I don't think that Baltimore is a CD-X-kind-of-town :lol:. I'm also hoping Genesis emulation improves on the DS as well. If they ever get sound working it'll be close to perfect.

[quote name='Purkeynator']WHAT?! You still don't have a Sega Cd?! (old Sega CD commercial)[/quote]

Man those old Sega commercials were ridiculous... I think I remember the one you're talking about. It has like about 4 kids around the age of 16 varying in race and sex talking about how "cool" and "rad" the Sega CD was... DAMN. :applause:

i've always found that looking for those types of things aren't worth it to wait around to try and find.

if you really want it, it's only a $30 difference and that's less then a tank of gas. i know a lot of people enjoy the "hunt" but if you just want to get it i'd just give craigslist and google a quick search to see if you can find one and then hit ebay.

I was happy to spend the $90 on CraigsList for mine - but it did come with games, a carrying case, and wireless remotes though.

But I love the system to death; it was worth every penny. Barely a quarter the size, if not smaller, than the Model 1 Genesis/Model 2 CD beast - and it works better, too!

I actually bought my CDX on eBay for $35. However it was just the core system with no controllers or cables. I have one on my TL but I'm looking to get more than $50 for it.

I bought a CDX for $25 BIN. It didn't come with an AC adapter (those are cheap) and the disc tray didn't pop open, it had to be held, but it was all good. Sold it later for around $60 with a few cheapy games. No reason to complain about the price when you can obviously sell it for just about as much, if not more on ebay where you bought it from.

[quote name='thegarageband']Try your local thrift stores/pawn shops and yard/garage sales. It's how I got my Virtual Boy for five bucks, and fifty dollar PSP.

All you need is patience...and a lot of free weekends.[/quote]All of the gas money and time spent looking for one and not finding it would equal the balance that he is not willing to spend.

So I finally got a CDX! Off craigslist! But not my city's craigslist.. I actually just searched the lists of random cities until I came upon a total of 2 on the whole site. One guy wanted like $150 for his. Another only wanted $40. So basically, I got the CDX, composite cable, power adapter, 1 6-button controller, Spider-Man Maximum Carnage, some other Genesis game w/ manual and case, Microcosm CD, the Sega CD sampler disc with Ecco the Dolphin and a bunch of Genesis games, and Prize Fighter CD!

The only problem is I already had a Prize Fighter CD copy... anyone want to trade? It's in good condition and I'll trade it for any Sega CD game I don't have or 1 or 2 Genesis games that I'm looking for.. please let me know!

One more thing, composite cables are the highest quality ones you can get for the Genesis/CD-X right? No S-video?

[quote name='PhrostByte']So I finally got a CDX! Off craigslist! But not my city's craigslist.. I actually just searched the lists of random cities until I came upon a total of 2 on the whole site. One guy wanted like $150 for his. Another only wanted $40. So basically, I got the CDX, composite cable, power adapter, 1 6-button controller, Spider-Man Maximum Carnage, some other Genesis game w/ manual and case, Microcosm CD, the Sega CD sampler disc with Ecco the Dolphin and a bunch of Genesis games, and Prize Fighter CD!

One more thing, composite cables are the highest quality ones you can get for the Genesis/CD-X right? No S-video?[/quote]

there are folks who do s-vid mods for the CDX, if you want some names pm me I guess...

[quote name='youruglyclone']there are folks who do s-vid mods for the CDX, if you want some names pm me I guess...[/quote]

Oh I guess it doesn't natively support it... I'll stick with the composite. I doubt an S-Video upgrade would make much of a difference on 16-bit hardware as it is, but thanks for the offer. :D

bread's done
Back