DirecTV "Aliens" Ad

It is terrible, I was watching it and expecting her to yell "Bitch!" but then she starts talking about the great deals and I am just going "NO NO NO NO NO!!!"

It was the worst thing ever. The Back to the Future one was not as bad seeing as how the movie was a comedy in many ways.

But really, I hate it so much. It is degrading one of my favorite movies.

Yeah, those commercials piss me off pretty bad. Not only are they ruining some great movies, but the commercials aren't even funny!

Seriously, DirectTV have some of the worst commercials I've seen. COX has terrible commercials too, though, so I guess the winners are antennas.

The only one I thought was remotely funny was the Bill Paxton/Twister one.

However that's mostly because of the following Simpsons quote:

"It's Bill Pullman you fool!!"

So they all kinda suck IMO.

If you think the DirecTV ones suck... you obviously have NOT seen a Comcast one. Especially the one with the middle aged woman complete with the light shine in her eyes talking about how "with Dish you always are subjected to outages whenever it rains... and you know how often that is here in Minnesota at this time of the year."

I kinda like the DirecTV commercials. Gives me that warm fuzzy feeling of nostalgia. They are probably the only commercials where I will watch the whole thing before surfing other channels.

I find it ironic. She's selling out to the same type of corpos that Paul Reiser repped in the actual movie. James "king of the world" Cameron was not pleased when David Fincher killed off his characters and tarnished the franchise, I bet he's pissed over this one.

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']The only one I thought was remotely funny was the Bill Paxton/Twister one.

However that's mostly because of the following Simpsons quote:

"It's Bill Pullman you fool!!"

So they all kinda suck IMO.[/quote]

Pullman = Paxton? :dunce:

Game over man, game over!

[quote name='Demolition Man']If you think the DirecTV ones suck... you obviously have NOT seen a Comcast one. Especially the one with the middle aged woman complete with the light shine in her eyes talking about how "with Dish you always are subjected to outages whenever it rains... and you know how often that is here in Minnesota at this time of the year."[/QUOTE]

I remember a Comcast ad where old footage from $25,000 Pyramid was dubbed over with dialog like "Things that are good", "Things that are comcastic", etc. I'm sure no one gives a damn about old game shows, but what DirecTV is doing treads dangerous ground.

[quote name='camoor']I find it ironic. She's selling out to the same type of corpos that Paul Reiser repped in the actual movie. James "king of the world" Cameron was not pleased when David Fincher killed off his characters and tarnished the franchise, I bet he's pissed over this one.[/quote]

David Fincher didn't write the movie. And with all of the creative interference that the studios had, it's hard to lay the blame for the failure of the film at Fincher's feet.

[quote name='NeoFrank1']David Fincher didn't write the movie. And with all of the creative interference that the studios had, it's hard to lay the blame for the failure of the film at Fincher's feet.[/quote]

The director is the director. You can blame Hollywood, the producer, the Man etc - but at the end of the day, if the director doesn't pull an Alan Smithee then as far as I'm concerned he deserves the lion's share of blame or praise. I've seen interviews with Cameron where he obviously agrees with this sentiment as regards to Fincher.

Veering way off topic...

Anyone ever read the original (maybe) script for the sequel to Aliens? It was going to be on a space station orbiting earth. I think Newt and Hicks were both in it. Pretty awesome from what I remember although I read it something like 8 years ago.

This reminds me, isn't there some new show on ABC coming this fall called Cavemen? Which is based almost soley upon the Geico Cavemen commercials?

[quote name='Full_Throttle']This reminds me, isn't there some new show on ABC coming this fall called Cavemen? Which is based almost soley upon the Geico Cavemen commercials?[/QUOTE]

Yes there is. Nice way to derail this thread.....

Well played. Well played. :applause:

The newer Comcast commercials were pretty good. I laughed when I saw the guy spinning on a clothes hanger, then the caption comes up: "Don't get taken to the cleaners." Some of the latest ones were trash, though.

[quote name='camoor']The director is the director. You can blame Hollywood, the producer, the Man etc - but at the end of the day, if the director doesn't pull an Alan Smithee then as far as I'm concerned he deserves the lion's share of blame or praise. I've seen interviews with Cameron where he obviously agrees with this sentiment as regards to Fincher.[/quote]
I don't think you understand. David Fincher didn't sign up to direct and then say, "You know what, guys. I know you've gone through dozens of different scripts, by dozens of different writers, but I think you should just shitcan all of them because I have got a great idea. Let's take all the great characters from the 2nd one, who survived, and then just kill them before the third movie starts. Now, go get a writer to write it."

To which the studio did not respond: "Oh, well that sounds great David Fincher. What a fantastic idea. You can do no wrong. We have full faith in you, even though you've never directed a feature film before. We trust you to the fullest, since you've made all those great music videos. In fact, we trust you so much we won't ever interfere with any decision you make, and you can do whatever you want with this movie. Here, have some more money!"

In most cases, unless the director is also writer/producer and/or just a Hollywood heavy, they are not the GOD of the film. They are often just in charge of deciding HOW to tell the story visually. And although I agree that Alien 3 is a pretty crappy movie, it's not how the film was directed that I have a problem with.

[quote name='NeoFrank1']In most cases, unless the director is also writer/producer and/or just a Hollywood heavy, they are not the GOD of the film. They are often just in charge of deciding HOW to tell the story visually. And although I agree that Alien 3 is a pretty crappy movie, it's not how the film was directed that I have a problem with.[/quote]

I thought the special effects in Matrix 3 were pretty.

But you know what you get when you mix ten pounds of ice cream with ten pounds of shit?

I generally like Fincher's other movies, however whether it was incompetence with the subject matter or a case of compromising his artistic vision to please a Hollywood focus group, Fincher is the guy who almost flushed the Aliens movie franchise.

[quote name='Halo05']Veering way off topic...

Anyone ever read the original (maybe) script for the sequel to Aliens? It was going to be on a space station orbiting earth. I think Newt and Hicks were both in it. Pretty awesome from what I remember although I read it something like 8 years ago.[/QUOTE]

Mmmm, sounds to me like one of the many abandoned story ideas for Alien3. I believe that particular one was written by the guy that wrote Neuromancer.

The original script for Alien had the Alien rip Ridley to shreds in the escape pod and then get on the intercom and start broadcasting in English to Earth, asking for landing coordinates.

Standard twist ending for a minor thrill, but it didn't work with the actual alien realized by Ridley Scott and would have killed the chance for a sequel.

bread's done
Back