DirectX10 cards to not support DirectX10.1

fathamburger

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
http://www.istartedsomething.com/20070808/direct3d-101-siggraph/

Yup PC gamers just got fucked. Again lol. One of reasons for this is that 10.1 cards will have EDRAM just like the 360 for the "Free" 4XAA which is now standard since in order for an engine to take advantage of it, it must utilise predicated tiling (google it) which eliminates the need for two seperate render code paths between PC and 360.

I knew the 8800 was just a cash grab from Nvidia since nowdays you can sell a PC gamer on bullshit like fillrate that the architecture cannot ever fill up just the same as selling a 512mb DX8 card over a 128mb DX9 card because OMG it has more ram it is BETTAR!11! Gaming on PC nowadays mean paying many times more just to eventually get the thing up to the standard of a 360 but with less choice for games. Microsoft apparently has planned this from the beginning so I guess the long absence of an ATI equivalent part is a little more clear now?

With recent ports like GRAW2 horribly neutered to fit to single core and scalar processor spec, why bother honestly.

eh, good thing I put off upgrading my 7600GS to an 8800GTS. I had planned doing so for a couple of months now. So I guess the DX10.1 stuff is going to be released in 6 months?

There will be a substantial difference. Eliminating the hit to AA is substantial enough plus the floating point benefit.

I basically see no need to upgrade till Starcraft 2. However that's just the gamer in me talking, I get to write off my next PC pretty soon :)

[quote name='Thongsy']DX10.1 wtf. Isn't the naming scheme like DX10a DX10b etc. Go go MS way to keep crapping on PC gamers.[/quote]

Better then getting ignored.

In this case I pretty glad that I am too broke to upgrade now since my computer is pretty outdated.

The required 4x AA is pretty damn awesome though.

hmm.. if the 10.1 cards are do out in the fall, and if I upgraded NOW through EVGA
I could just pay the difference since the new card would probably hit in around November so that's within 90 days...unless the bastards decide to push it back to winter :(

High prices notwithstanding, I wasn't able to buy the one of the 8800 cards because they're so damn big. Since my mobo (like most) has a dearth of pci slots, putting in an 8800 would mean ditching either my soundcard or my tv tuner. I'm hoping the next line of cards are slimmer.

[quote name='Allnatural']High prices notwithstanding, I wasn't able to buy the one of the 8800 cards because they're so damn big. Since my mobo (like most) has a dearth of pci slots, putting in an 8800 would mean ditching either my soundcard or my tv tuner. I'm hoping the next line of cards are slimmer.[/QUOTE]

that usually happens, as technology advances things * usually * get smaller or thinner. but that's not always the case.

This was a presentation given at Siggraph (the E3 of graphics tech conferences) plus I understand the concepts behind it. It's good.

EDIT : story was also picked up on slashdot and the inquirer this morning

[quote name='red flare graf']Considering I've never heard of them..

It says not supported, but why not? They can't release new drivers?[/QUOTE]DX10 has hardware requirements to go along with it.
The current cards don't have what DX10.1 requires, I guess.

I'm also doing fine with my 7800 card. I didn't plan on getting a new card for a while. That should give MS and the video card makers time to figure all this crap out.

Makes me glad that I didn't get the high end 8800 even though my PC is powerful enough to benefit from it.

Went with a lower cost x1950 while I waited for those cards to drop in price or for new tech. I think free AA is worth the wait.

At this rate, MS will require specific hardware requirements for each new installment/update of DX10.

I'm still on an X850XT which is holding out fine. I've glad I didn't jump on the DX10 band wagon. My next card will be an X1950XT.:lol:

That sucks. Why the hell don't they just call it DX11 and be done with it? This is too confusing for the average consumer.

i just love this response

Q: This sucks! I just bought an 8000 series card and I was expecting it to be future proof! Now what?

A: Wo, hold on there little Jimmy; just like with DirectX 10, DirectX 10.1 games won't be hitting the market for years to come. Your shiney new 8000 series card isn't even near obsolete yet, heck, barely any DX10 games are out on the market yet. You'll have plenty of time to enjoy DX10 before you even have to worry about DX10.1. By the time DX10.1 games are on the market, you'll most likely have a nice new shiney DX10.1 card anyways.

doubtful... I wouldn't say years, but months... I am checking stores every few weeks and starting to to see a number of games requiring dual cores and or vista..and the DC is almost two years old and vista is almost 1 year old. So no not a few years but a few months before developers issue direct x 10.1 patches to direct x 10 games.

There is what, a grand total of two DX 10 games? Both publish by MS. This is kinda of a non-issue, since if by the time it does go to 10.1, they'll still support DX 10 for a while afterwards. And those people who have 8800 now are the type that upgrade every year anyways.

I didn't really get an 8800 because of DX10, but because it was the fastest chipset on the market, period. This doesn't really effect me too much.. but it does suck to know that we're going to be passed up. I hope the statement about it being years away is true.

Well they say it's years away but really this change is to allow 360 lead platform developers to port quicker instead of ignoring the PC altogether so it'll be quicker than most people think. Developers want to make money on their games after all ;)

NEWSFLASH: Old hardware doesn't support new features.

[quote name='ITDEFX']i just love this response

doubtful... I wouldn't say years, but months... I am checking stores every few weeks and starting to see a lot of games requiring dual cores and vista..and the DC is almost two years old and vista is almost 1 year old. So no not a few years but a few months before developers issue direct x 10.1 patches to direct x 10 games.[/quote]
Huh. What games require Vista and a dual core processor? Halo 2 requires Vista, as does Shadowrun; however that is not a lot of games. So please, tell me the lot of games that apply.

[quote name='Airswoop']NEWSFLASH: Old hardware doesn't support new features.

Huh. What games require Vista and a dual core processor? Halo 2 requires Vista, as does Shadowrun; however that is not a lot of games. So please, tell me the lot of games that apply.[/QUOTE]

sorry what I ment to say a number of games not a lot of games...sorry it was a typo.

bread's done
Back