Disc Read Errors with Skylanders for Xbox 360

sinewav

CAGiversary!
I have been having frustrating problems playing Skylanders for 360, 8 times out of 10 the game is not recognized by the console with the standard disc read error message. I also get freezes when loading levels and the voice track is erratic. I tested about 1/2 a dozen of my existing games and they all play fine which is why I suspect the disc or software glitch.

I have an older white-encased Xbox 360, a "Falcon" model (just before "Jasper"). After a disappointing call with Activison Support I started this thread in the hope that other members who may be having problems with Skylanders on an older 360 would come forward, or if you have a similar or older model and are playing Skylanders just fine please chime in as well, thank you.

I played it about 6 hours with my son yesterday, I had no problems. I do have a 250 elite though so maybe that helped.

Mine was fine with an Arcade Jasper. I would say install it (use a USB Thumb Drive if you don't have the room internally), but if your system isn't recognizing it as the game, then an install won't even help with that.

It sounds like either a dirty/scratched disc (fingerprints can cause heavy skipping) that can be cleaned/buffed or a faulty disc. If the disc is mint, thus ruling out the cleaning option, a new route you could go is to take it back to the store you bought it from and ask them to switch out the game portion from another bundle.

Thank you for the suggestions CAGs, just to clarify one of your suggestions I did try to install to Hard Drive and it stops about 40-50% of the way through due to disc read errors so that didn't work for me. It's also a brand new disk opened just 2 days ago and no visible scratches that I could see.

My next option is to go to a friend's house and try to install the game to a USB drive on their "Slim" Xbox then bring the USB to my unit and copy the install file to my HD. I'm hoping that will work, and if I get the same issue then I may need to exchange the disk as others have suggested here. Thank you.

Probably your dvd drive is crapping out or you're to soon get an rrod.

I figured all CAGS would have upgraded on black Friday. For $200 you could have gotten a 4gb kinect bundle, used the current hdd in it (you tube videos show how), then sold your current xbox for $90 on ebay. At least that's what I did. After netting the sale price of the old console, $110 to upgrade to the slim, get a kinect, get an extra 4gb internal space.

I think some store have them for 300 right now and you get a $75 gift card.

Edit: take it to your friends house and try it. If it works there, its time for a new xbox. Also, see if any other games have problems.

From personal experience, my xbox had random video problems on one games for six months . I thought it was just that game but after 6 months the video card went. I know this because the video didn't show on the tv but I could still hear the xbox sounds. I got that fixed under warrenty. The refurb they gave me worked for 18 months then randomly stopped reading disks. Finally that one got the rrod. I got that replaced under warranty by shouting at a call center person for an hour. When the deal came up, I couldn't get rid of the current refurb fast enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok so the plot thickens. I went to my friend's house with the Xbox Slim and for the first 5 tries (load, play, eject, repeat) it worked perfectly. At that point I'm thinking that it is indeed my xbox but then on the 6th try I reproduced the disc read error just as with my model. In fact it took another 6 tests before the game finally loaded and then the vocal track was glitchy just like on my console. So it appears like a disc issue after all.

Something I did notice when I removed the disc was that it was (understandably) warm after 1/2 hr inside the console. Now I'm suspecting the heat fuddling with the disc somehow as the culprit.

I'm dreading sending the package back to the store for an exchange and lose progress on the starter Skylanders :cry: but I see no other option.

@Blaster thanks for sharing your experience, I would've bought an Xbox if I noticed this problem sooner but it didn't so I sprung for a 3DS instead :)

Do like Merit said and just ask them to swap out the disk. You won't lose any progress.

bread's done
Back