Discounted Gift Cards, Who Wants?

Keadin

CAG Veteran
I don't know if there's anything in the forum rules that prohibit this, so mods feel free to delete if I've broken any rules.

---

I recently got a few gift cards to EB Games/Gamestop that I have no intention of using. I know this community likes a good deal, so I'm offering them at a 15% discount if anyone wants to take them off my hands. I can have them broken up in any denomination, so just tell me what you want and I can make it so.

Just send me a PM and I'll get you what you need.

Hello, my name is Prince Ripova Sooka from Nigeria. My government is in a state of unrest and we need to evacuate 25 000 000 british pounds from the country right away, and you have been chosen to receive it. Please provide your name, address, banking info, credit card number, mother's maiden name, and the PIN number on your bank card.

In all seriousness though, I sincerely hope you plan on selling these to people in a place where they can be shown the balance of the card.

LOL, I'm pretty sure I know this person IRL. He's not scamming, he just has a terrible sales pitch that's overly verbose and makes him seem like he's scamming.

CONFIDENTIAL TO KEADIN: Be more straightforward. Try "I'm selling $____ in EB gift cards for 15% less than their value. I can break it up into smaller denominations if needed, and will meet at an EB in the GTA to verify the balance. PM me if interested."

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='djsaiyan']Hello, my name is Prince Ripova Sooka from Nigeria. My government is in a state of unrest and we need to evacuate 25 000 000 british pounds from the country right away, and you have been chosen to receive it. Please provide your name, address, banking info, credit card number, mother's maiden name, and the PIN number on your bank card.
[/QUOTE]

I laughed...I still get these emails about 2 times per week. I always like sending gibberish back in return...oddly I never get an answer :roll:

[quote name='LtKetch']"Too good to be true" comes to mind, even if your intentions are good. Do you really hate EB that much?[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't say it's "too good to be true"; it's quite common to sell gift cards at 10-15% of the full value. Who would trade real money for a gift card at a 1:1 ratio?

Only bro's, that's who.

[quote name='KILLER TREKKY']I got nervous at the "can be broken into any denomination" part.[/QUOTE]

It's plausable. Say he has $100 on a card and you want $50; in theory he can just bust it into two cards at a store. I think the wording is just off.

Wow, I thought you 'nucks were supposed to be smart.

1. The man is using proper English... I know that's difficult for you to wrap your heads around, but it's a fact. He's attempting to explain something to you quite clearly and it makes 100% sense to me.
2. People on other, classier forums sell gift cards that they don't want all the time. There's even a website, plasticjungle.com, that allows people to sell their gift cards for cash or Amazon credit. Keadin, since these morons are too dumb to see a good deal, I'd suggest selling your card there.

wow you yanks sure like to call people names

it's NOT common on CAG, or at least this section, to see posts like this, on top of that it doesnt state any values or photos & posts before you said what you said without being a punk

the other odd thing is that this guy:

a) has not specified his location (to potentially meet up with buyer for verification of credit)
b) specified how much EB credit he has in total
c) has not checked back in on this topic and clarified anything in nearly 24 hours. If I'm intending on selling something, I'm surely checking it throughout the day to answer any questions from potential buyers
d) and perhaps most telling of all...if you look at his profile you can see that he's made a grand total of 1 POST (one created for this topic) in over 3 years on CAG

maybe this will turn out to be legit but as of now it looks pretty odd (and sorry to the Yank above who can fail to notice these simple points and instead prefers to rip into cautious buyers)

[quote name='kn00tcn']it's NOT common on CAG, or at least this section, to see posts like this, on top of that it doesnt state any values or photos & posts before you said what you said without being a punk[/QUOTE]

Then simply ask the man for photographic proof... say a picture of the card with a confirmation receipt that any GS/EB can provide for him along with his forum user name.

Instead, people have chosen to go with the "OH fuck, THIS MUST BE A SCAM!!!! RUN FOR YOUR fuckING LIVES!!!!" angle right off of the bat. My assumption is the guy looked at his options of either posting it in this forum or posting it in the trading forum, decided that this was more specific both in location as well as the type of item, and posted it directly in the Canada forum.

But who knows... If I were him, I wouldn't come back and deal with a bunch of people who's drop-of-the-hat reaction is to call the guy suspicious and insinuate that he's trying to scam you.

[quote name='game_fanatic']I wouldn't say it's "too good to be true"; it's quite common to sell gift cards at 10-15% of the full value. Who would trade real money for a gift card at a 1:1 ratio?

Only bro's, that's who.[/QUOTE]

I stand corrected. I suppose selling gift cards is becoming more common, just not in my experience. I look at it as money I will eventually spend on games anyway so why lose some of it. That being said maybe the original poster is tight for cash before christmas, maybe they are no longer interested in games or maybe they really dislike EB.

Point taken, snark retracted.

bread's done
Back