Discussing my recent trade

mookiemeister

CAGiversary!
Feedback
77 (100%)
Hi,

I've been trading (mostly buying) games here on CAG trading forum for a while now. I have completed over 50 trades and other than a couple of slow shippers that require a few extra nagging PM messages, my experience here has been great until my most recent trade here which is making me a little concerned. I thought I would post my concern here and get some comments from other traders.

My trade involved my buying 2 games from someone. The person listed his items as in mint and complete condition in the post. During our PM messages, I specifically asked to make sure the games are mint/complete. When I received the games, one was in mint condition as described but the other game has numerous scratches and finger print smudges all over the game disc. I cleaned the disc as best as I could and that eliminated the finger prints but many of the scratches were deep and couldn't be removed. Then I played the disc for a few minutes and it seems to play fine. Also, the game was only $6 so I thought I would just accept the game as it is. Since the trader has a handful of positive feedback already I decided not to press the issue. I did PMed the trader that I was disappointed with the condition of one of the game and that it was in lesser condition than he described. He replied and said that he was sorry that it was all scratched up. He said he bought it used from EB Games and noticed that the case and manual is in mint condition so he listed the game as mint without checking the disc. His response really bothered me a lot!!! Does anyone list condition of the game as mint without checking the disc? That's the most important part of the game! He offered to give me refund, but I thought it was just too much hassle for only a $6 game. But I asked him if he could promise to be more accurate in stating the condition of the game in the future so we could make CAG trading forum even better. I was hoping he would replied and said he would promise to be more accurate in the future. But instead he replied and said he was offended that I was suggesting he wasn't honest.

Anyways, I was wondering what some of you long time traders here think about my current trade. Do you ever buy used games from places like EBGames without bothering to check the condition of the disc? And then list the game as in mint condition? Would you be offended if you shipped a game in lesser condition, then the other person complained, and then you offered to give a refund for the game, the other person counter-offered and asked you just to be more accurate in the future?

Any thought or comment is appreciated.

Thanks,
Mookiemeister

Well, I haven't done a lot of trading here, but here's my opinion anyway, for what it's worth. From what you describe, I don't think you were out of line at all in requesting he be more accurate. It may have been an honest mistake (albeit a very odd honest mistake) but the bottom line is still that he sold you a game listed as being in "mint" condition that was not anywhere near mint condition. To his credit, he did offer the refund, and that counts for something. I think I'd feel the way you do, though- if the disc is playable, it's more of a hassle than it's worth to return it for a $6 refund.

Instead of being offended, he should be glad he doesn't have a big red negative feedback next to his name.

I think you were 100% appropriate and the seller should be glad he got a buyer as kind as you. I think most would have spread his name and gave bad feedback.

What's funny is that the SAME exact thing happened to me on my most recent trade as well. Although it was only $10, the game was listed as mint/complete. I asked the trader to double check, and the person said it was good, no scratches. When I received the game it wasn't even in an official PS2 game case. It was in a generic dvd case (ones you could get in costco), and had 2 EB stickers on it that were sort of a hassle to get off. I figured it was cool, because I had an extra PS2 case anyway, but when I checked the bottom of the disc, it looked as if Wolverine got pissed at the game and scratched it to hell. Some were deep, but for now the game plays alright, it sort of takes a long time to load. I'm just afraid that the game might screw up towards the end of it. So I was like oh well, I didn't want to be an ass about it. I still gave the person positive feedback (since it still worked; and waiting for him to return his feedback to me), but PM'd him about the situation as well (which I haven't gotten a response).

Other than this transaction, everything has been great here on CAG. I know how you feel, mookiemeister, but we all run that risk every time we trade on CAG (unless you ask for pics I guess).

I had an issue like that too. I traded with another user on this board and was supposed to receive a mint cart only SNES game. I figured mint meant the label on the cartridge was in perfect condition. When I received the game, it looked like they had taken off an EB sticker and took some of the original label along with it. I pm'ed the guy about it, but he just responded that he thought it was "mint" for being such an old game. I was a bit disappointed, but didn't make too much of a fuss since it was such an old game and didn't pay too much for it. I ended up leaving the user some positive feedback with the condition that they not falsely advertise their games again.

Other than that though, all my other trades have gone great. I haven't traded as much as some of you but overall, I've had a really good experience on these boards.

I agree that you were certainly within reason with your concerns. I don't see how you can buy a used game ano not look at it at some point, let alone before offering it up to trade.

[quote name='botticus']I agree that you were certainly within reason with your concerns. I don't see how you can buy a used game ano not look at it at some point, let alone before offering it up to trade.[/QUOTE]

Also, this person told me specifically that he's very 'picky' about the condition of his games like me. That's why I don't understand why he didn't bother to check for the condition of the disc before stating his game was in mint condition.

i'm not much of a collector or too picky about the condition of games, but i do make sure to say the condition of my games - i almost never say they're mint because i buy most games second hand - for me, if it's second hand, it's not mint.

bread's done
Back