Discussion about SIXAXIS costing $50?

At launch nothing else could be expected. 360 controllers were $50 as well so its just a matter of time before they drop to more comfortable price.

I am ok with the price for now. I remember paying $35 for DualShock 2 @ launch, $30 for DualShock 1 at launch, $25 fro PSX pad around launch, $20 for extra turbo SNES pad, $20 for 6 button Genesis pads.

NM now that I think about it I am now spend 2x the amount of cash 10-13 years later for controllers. I am yet to buy a 2nd 360 controller (I need to because my d pad is crap) so it will be some time if and when I get a PS3 that I will buy a 2nd controller. I hate the fact that I can't use AA batteries in the thing, I hate charging things.

Well controller have gotten more advance supposedly. I figure, the motion sensor technology is was Sony is using to justify an increase in price. Anyone know how much the extra Wii controllers compare in cost.

On one hand it hurts to spend $50 on a controller when that money can easily buy a game or two. On the other hand, I have never had a controller break from normal use, so $50 is not bad for a 4-8 year investment that you will use practically every time you turn on your console.

On one hand, $50 seems a bit much for something that looks almost identical to its predecessor. Yes, I know, it's totally different on the inside, but since there is very little change to the outside, it could be hard for some PS3 buyers to justify buying a couple of these.

On the other hand, maybe PS3 fanboys will stop bitching about the $40 Wii-mote + $20 Nunchuck now.

EDIT: I swear I didn't steal your format, Unoriginal. I was typing this before I saw your post.

[quote name='MadFlava']Well controller have gotten more advance supposedly. I figure, the motion sensor technology is was Sony is using to justify an increase in price. Anyone know how much the extra Wii controllers compare in cost.[/quote]

So you think that the addition of a motion sensor justifies the increase in price when they are also dropping the rumble feature? Also, most of the hands on reports with the Sixaxis are not positive. They said it feels too light and very cheap. Maybe Sony should have included rumble motors in the controllers and just left them disconnected to keep the weight the same.

Remember, Sony claims that they could have included rumble, but that the cost of the controller would have been too expensive. I guess that is true since to include rumble, Sony would have to pay Immersion 90 million dollars.

Anyway, the Wiimote is $40 alone, and $60 with the nunchuck attachment.

I think the name is really lame.

And $50 is way too much for a controler, but it seems like the norm now.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']On one hand it hurts to spend $50 on a controller when that money can easily buy a game or two. On the other hand, I have never had a controller break from normal use, so $50 is not bad for a 4-8 year investment that you will use practically every time you turn on your console.[/quote]What your PS2 controller lasted 5 years. I use my controllers so gently and I have gone through 5!!!

[quote name='pop311']What your PS2 controller lasted 5 years. I use my controllers so gently and I have gone through 5!!![/QUOTE]
Mine has lasted since I got it with my PS2 4 years or so ago.

And by lasted I mean about a month ago a game was pissing me off and I threw the controller against the wall and teh R1 button came out...I put it back in and it still works :D

[quote name='pop311']What your PS2 controller lasted 5 years. I use my controllers so gently and I have gone through 5!!![/QUOTE]

Mine is a little loose, and it has something shaking inside it, but it works fine. If it breaks, I can just use my PS1 Dual Shock. :D

MY first party controllers still work really well. I still use my Dual Shock from PS1. I think I have had the thing for 6-7 years. It's my damn 3rd party controllers that break on me.

Doesn't the Sixaxis come with a rechargeable battery and a charging cable? If so it's $15 cheaper than the same thing for 360. The rechargeable battery is a must on the 360 as the battery life is abysmal.

[quote name='PenguinMaster']Doesn't the Sixaxis come with a rechargeable battery and a charging cable? If so it's $15 cheaper than the same thing for 360. The rechargeable battery is a must on the 360 as the battery life is abysmal.[/quote]

The battery is built in and it comes with a USB cable that connects to the controller and PS3 to charge it. So I guess that is a way of looking at it.

I dont think you should spend as much on a controller as you would on a game. Or even Guitar Hero that comes with a Guitar. Lol.

I think 40 would have been better.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']I dont think you should spend as much on a controller as you would on a game. Or even Guitar Hero that comes with a Guitar. Lol.

I think 40 would have been better.[/QUOTE]

Why not though? What do you honestly use more? One game or the controller to play many games?

[quote name='anubis20']At launch nothing else could be expected. 360 controllers were $50 as well so its just a matter of time before they drop to more comfortable price.[/QUOTE]

Right. There's no way Sony was going to come in at less than the 360 on the controller. The second they do, the impression is that it is inferior.

[quote name='dpatel']MY first party controllers still work really well. I still use my Dual Shock from PS1. I think I have had the thing for 6-7 years. It's my damn 3rd party controllers that break on me.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. I've never had any of my Sony PS1 or PS2 controllers break on me. Each of them has lasted the entire time I've had each system. I still have the PS2 controller I bought with the console at launch...works fine. In fact, the three others work fine too.

$50 still bothers me. Every time I play or hear about a great multi-player game for the 360, I want to run out and buy 2 more controllers..then I remember that'll cost me $100, thus forcing me to go play by myself or with only 1 other person. Still beats the Wii tho...$60? Go to hell.

bread's done
Back