Disgaea 2: Dark Hero Days heading to the PSP! Out now

Cao Cao

CAGiversary!
http://www.psphyper.com/psp/rumor-disgaea-2-portable-gundam-arcade-port-incoming/

It depends on whether this HK magazine's release list is reliable. Some other games were also mentioned on the list, including another Gundam arcade game port, and of course, New Cho Aniki.

STRIKERS 1945 PLUS PSP 2009/2/1 UCAS40245
RESISTANCE:RETRIBUTION PSP 2009/2/24 UCAS40233
零‧超兄貴 (New Cho Aniki) PSP 2009/3/1 ULJM5390
DRAGONBALL EVOLUTION(電影版龍珠) PSP 2009/3/19 ULJS00184
MOBILESUIT GUNDAM 戰場之絆 PSP 2009/3/26 ULJS00181
魔界戰記2 PORTABLE PSP 2009/3/26 ULJS00183
魔界戰記2 PORTABLE(限定版) PSP 2009/3/26 ULJS00182

Saw this the other day, would love to see Disgaea 2 on the PSP. The first was...ok, but i hated (ABSOLUTELY HATED) the fact that you only got EXP for kills. It made leveling new characters up a bit frustrating. Not so in Disgaea 2, can't wait :)

Confirmed! The link is a PDF, but i took some screens, which are below :)

untitled1tw9.jpg

untitled2bm7.jpg

Yep, I just saw the story on qj and PSPHyper. According to QJ, it's supposed to have "30% new content (Scenarios and characters)." PSPHyper mentions a recent Famitsu piece that says that it will have a new story featuring Axel.

(The PSPHyper article also mentions that Kenka Banchou 4 and Way of the Samurai 4 were announced in an advertisement. It's unknown if the former is coming back to the PSP , or if Way of the Samurai 2 will be ported to the PSP, like the first one was to hype the new game.)

while im excited (170 hours in D1 and 170 hours in D2)

More story is not what this game needs. The story was excessivley long to me, and continues to be a trend of NIS the more games they make, the more dialoge drags on. Oh well, as long as I can skip the cutscenes, I'm happy.

Day 1 purchase if it comes stateside regardless.

Wish the phantom brave wii port was psp as thats my favorite NIS game.

am I rambling?

Rolento --

D2 has TONS more gameplay. I found the story of part 1 much much better, as well as the story characters, but the amount of gameplay in D2 dwarfs part 1.

Gameplay enhancements in Disgaea 2, to me, trump the better story of Disgaea 1. Both stories are funny and interesting, but it's the gameplay that keeps you coming back for hours.

[quote name='SynGamer']Gameplay enhancements in Disgaea 2, to me, trump the better story of Disgaea 1. Both stories are funny and interesting, but it's the gameplay that keeps you coming back for hours.[/quote]

Yup, my 170 hours in D1 is pretty much everything in the game. My 170 hours in D2 is without TONS of sidequesting.

[quote name='SynGamer']Gameplay enhancements in Disgaea 2, to me, trump the better story of Disgaea 1. Both stories are funny and interesting, but it's the gameplay that keeps you coming back for hours.[/QUOTE]

If gameplay enhancements are more important, then you should play Disgaea 3. They vastly improve it by balancing all units. Still, you can dominate most maps if you do a little power leveling. I like Disgaea 1 more then Disgaea 2 because I prefer a story revolving around an anti-hero then a goodie-two-shoe. Heck, even with superior Disgaea 2 or 3 gameplay, I still prefer in original. I love original cast so much. I wish there was sequel with Laharl back as main protagonist.

[quote name='hohez']Yup, my 170 hours in D1 is pretty much everything in the game. My 170 hours in D2 is without TONS of sidequesting.[/QUOTE]

After spending a large amount of time in Disgaea 1, I sought after better ways to vastly improve your character. One of way is figuring out the formulas to power level or just buy double guide or visit Japanese website for power level. It save you so much time trying to figure out the formula yourself. After Disgaea 1, I pretty much complete any other NIS developed srpg in 80 hours or less(exclude researching).

ok...umm congrats on 80 hours or something.

We aren't talking about disgaea 3 because disgaea 3 isn't announced or out on PSP.

is it coming out in japan only or here...> Be sort of shocked to see it come out in the United states. If it does come out here i say it wont be Until LATE LATE FALL ( halloween 2009)

and by then most people will have left the PSP..... Seems the PSP is becoming the new Saturn

I like my Saturn. Still have my Japanese one hooked up in the bedroom. Nothing better than X-Men vs Street Fighter when I get a little stressed.

That being said, I agree with you on the PSP. I don't know what the hell Sony was thinking. They have a technologically superior handheld but they really screwed up with how much stuff you have to buy to make it fully functional. You have to buy memory, screen protectors, a hard shell, and a USB cable just to start using it. Compare that with the DS and it became an ecomomical decision instead of a technological one.

I hope the PSP is still alive over here so we can get this. I'd much rather play RPGs on my PSP instead of burning out my big screen.

Dengeki posted some details on the things that are going to be added.
http://www.psphyper.com/psp/disgaea-2-portable-first-screens-details/

Here are the major additions:
- New Axel Chapter scenarios.
- New Generic character classes: Samurai (Female) and Death Saber
- New Party Members: Overlord Zetta (Book), Overlord Prier, Mid-Boss
- Hints that Magichange from Disgaea 3 is being added.
- A few minor UI enhancements:
A few adjustments are being made for ’stress-free’ portable play. These includes options to speed up character movements, find your character faster with sorting, friendlier camera, possible to use Item World commands in the Warehouse and friendlier magic menu.

IGN has a new boxart for it (i think it's new at least). Looks pretty nice.

The trailer on your link actually says Summer 2009, hope that one is right!

Have a funny feeling the SOBS will push this to a download only game

Day 1 purchase for me hopefully amazon will have it cheaper before the release date

[quote name='slidecage']Have a funny feeling the SOBS will push this to a download only game

Day 1 purchase for me hopefully amazon will have it cheaper before the release date[/QUOTE]

I hope it at least has the option of being a downloadable game, maybe for even $20.

I'm thinking about getting it. Hopefully it'll come out on UMD.

I already have the original D2 for the PS2, though I've never played it. I will probably not buy it right away and wait for the reviews to see if the added content is worth buying the game again. As a person who travels a lot for work, however, playing this on a portable system sound pretty good.

[quote name='bobbywatson']I'm thinking about getting it. Hopefully it'll come out on UMD.

I already have the original D2 for the PS2, though I've never played it. I will probably not buy it right away and wait for the reviews to see if the added content is worth buying the game again. As a person who travels a lot for work, however, playing this on a portable system sound pretty good.[/QUOTE]

It will be available on UMD, and the additions will be well worth it. You'll get to play through an exclusive mode similar to Etna mode from the first game on PSP. Several characters from Disgaea 3 will be unlockable. I've also read others might be available via DLC. Some of the battle elements from Disgaea 3 have been added to this game as well. There is probably some other stuff that I'm forgetting, but you get the idea. You'll definitely want this game, dood!

Oh great more "DLC"... I wouldn't care as much if I was able to use them right after getting the "DLC" instead you'll probably have to finish the game first and then spend the mana to pass the bill to unlock the character. Still I'll probably pick this up since I loved it on the PS2. Then again I still have Disgaea1(PSP) and Disgaea 3 to finish so maybe I should hold off...

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a must-buy solely because it's easier to level characters. Everyone that attacks during battle gets EXP and Mana, unlike the first game where only kills counted.

[quote name='SynGamer']This is a must-buy solely because it's easier to level characters. Everyone that attacks during battle gets EXP and Mana, unlike the first game where only kills counted.[/QUOTE]

Really? That was the worst part of Disgaea's pretty solid battle system in my eyes. It just caused a wide gulf between my party members. I guess I should've waited for this one instead. Oh well.

The official site has been in update mode the past 2 weeks or so, giving details on 7 characters that are now playable that weren't in the PS2 version, as well as info on 3 Disgaea 3 characters that become playable and more detailed info on some of the new battle mechanics being added from the PS3 game.

Also, don't forget if you have a save from the original Disgaea PSP on your memory stick, you will be able to unlock the female samurai, previously unavailable in the PS2 version.

Further, so far Japan has gotten 5 downloadable characters, and the first 3 were free. They are Pleniar, Almaz, Sapphire, Gig, and Dark Eclair. Pram, Ash, and Marona are also supposedly confirmed.

This game's release still seems like its so far away, even though it's just over a month. I can't remember the last time I've been this excited for a game. :bouncy:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='DQT']Really? That was the worst part of Disgaea's pretty solid battle system in my eyes. It just caused a wide gulf between my party members. I guess I should've waited for this one instead. Oh well.[/QUOTE]

I didnt mind that as much. Id seen the same style of system in Luminous Arc 2, I find it can be easily exploited to level characters up more quickly. Although, at that point it becomes a concious effort to level, instead of just a natural progression so I guess I can see both sides.

Just got an email from Amazon saying this game will ship later than expected, and listed a delivery estimate of Sept 21-25. I know FSSS estimates are ridiculously long, but this is approximately a 1 week increase in delivery time from the previous estimate of the 14th. Wonder if the game was pushed back to the 15th of September.

i had to reserve since gamestop doesnt really get much stock for psp where i live i never got a chance to play it on ps2 but i just finished the disgaea 1 on psp

bread's done
Back