Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention (Vita) $29.99 at Amazon

Damn I just paid full price for this last week! Either way this is a great game that could easily get you hundreds of hours of gameplay.

I platinumed it on PS3. Playing it again on vita to try for the platinum. 150+ hours in, and I know what I'm doing. If youre looking for ONE game to play on the vita, this is the best game to waste scores of hours.

I own this on PS3, never played it. But decided to get it on the Vita and paid somewhere around $25 for a used copy at GS a few weeks ago. For someone who doesn't play a lot of SRPG games I can say this game is rather overwhelming for me...

Aww, nut-bunnies! I just used both of my $5 codes to buy this from NIS for the same price. Eh well, at least I got the limited edition character cloth.

[quote name='Gamehead']Literally one day after I decide to buy it the price drops :whistle2:([/QUOTE]

I bought this last night from Amazon and it just shipped this morning.

I contacted Amazon as soon as I saw this thread and they are going to refund me the difference; so try your luck with them.

[quote name='stack9902']so is there a difference between the Vita and PS3 versions as far as content?[/QUOTE]

Vita has everything from the PS3 version (base content plus DLC) and some new chapters as well.

[quote name='stack9902']so is there a difference between the Vita and PS3 versions as far as content?[/QUOTE]

The PS3 version is the basic game.
The Vita version has new trophies, new trophy icons, all the dlc (roughly 50 bucks alone), vita exclusive stages.

[quote name='admiralvic']The PS3 version is the basic game.
The Vita version has new trophies, new trophy icons, all the dlc (roughly 50 bucks alone), vita exclusive stages.[/QUOTE]

Would you recommend it over Gungnir? Been in the mood for a portable srpg fix.

[quote name='Byakurai']Would you recommend it over Gungnir? Been in the mood for a portable srpg fix.[/QUOTE]

From what I was told by Cam (who I think heard from Mark...), Gungnir doesn't work on the Vita, so there is that. Also I think Disgaea is a far longer game, so there is a bit more value.

[quote name='Byakurai']Would you recommend it over Gungnir? Been in the mood for a portable srpg fix.[/QUOTE]

Dunno if this helps or not but at the moment Gungnir cannot be played on vita. You cannot even transfer it from the ps3 to the vita

[quote name='admiralvic']From what I was told by Cam (who I think heard from Mark...), Gungnir doesn't work on the Vita, so there is that. Also I think Disgaea is a far longer game, so there is a bit more value.[/QUOTE]

Ugh, Sony. And I was so willing to give you money. Guess I'll try and bite on a used copy of Disgaea 3 from GameStop then!

[quote name='admiralvic']
The Vita version has new trophies, new trophy icons, all the dlc (roughly 50 bucks alone)[/QUOTE]

^This. I like NIS's games, they always have excellent service and packaging... but they have a tendency to really nickel-and-dime fans on the DLC. Scroll through any of their PS3 releases and you'll find 30-40 extra missions, characters, outfits, items, etc. at $1-$3 apiece.

The Vita version has new trophies, new trophy icons, all the dlc (roughly 50 bucks alone), vita exclusive stages.[/QUOTE]

Wow, great value here. I love SRPGs, but have yet to really dig deep into a Disgaea game yet, despite having the first two on the PSP. That is the only thing holding back from picking up a Vita and snagging this.

[quote name='dallow']Good price!
$30 needs to become the standard for 3DS and Vita.[/QUOTE]

And they need to cut your salary by 25% too.:roll:

Games are too expensive. If they came out at more reasonable prices, we wouldn't need to wait for sales as much, and there would be many more games bought new instead of used. It would benefit everybody except Gamestop, and that really benefits everybody ;)

If you like SRPG's get it. Just an amazing game, they took Disgaea 3 and made everything better about it. As far as price goes, i seriously doubt this will hit 20$ soon lol. It just came out barely 2 months ago, its a niche game, and its an amazing value. Just pay the 30$ and support the company that constantly gives us RPG's and SRPG's

As far as Gungir goes, i hear its pretty good, but i doubt it has anywhere near the longevity of Disgaea 3 (I'm about 120 hours in myself), plus it isnt even Vita compatible yet :(. Its only like 150MB's too. Not saying anything about size=gameplay length, but i wouldnt expect anything much longer than the other Department Heaven games

[quote name='dgwillia006']If you like SRPG's get it. Just an amazing game, they took Disgaea 3 and made everything better about it. As far as price goes, i seriously doubt this will hit 20$ soon lol. It just came out barely 2 months ago, its a niche game, and its an amazing value. Just pay the 30$ and support the company that constantly gives us RPG's and SRPG's[/QUOTE]

Disgaea 3 is not only the worst Disgaea in the series, it's the worst S-RPG Nippon Icchi has created (Phantom Brave, Makai Kingdom, Soul Nomad, and La Pucelle were all better).

Unless the two new characters fundamentally fix the story and somehow make Disgaea 3's cast tolerable, I don't see how this is worth $30.

$20 is a fair price and I don't see that being a stretch come Amazon's yearly Christmas sale.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']Disgaea 3 is not only the worst Disgaea in the series, it's the worst S-RPG Nippon Icchi has created (Phantom Brave, Makai Kingdom, Soul Nomad, and La Pucelle were all better).

Unless the two new characters fundamentally fix the story and somehow make Disgaea 3's cast tolerable, I don't see how this is worth $30.

$20 is a fair price and I don't see that being a stretch come Amazon's yearly Christmas sale.[/QUOTE]

Enjoy your wait until Christmas to save 10$ then, i'll continue enjoying my 40$ that has given me upwards of 100 hours of gameplay.

Also, not really sure how this game could be considered worse than everything you listed, and the worst SRPG they ever made, but i'd prefer to keep my brain intact while trying to figure out the logic behind that statement.

There is such a large divergence on Disgaea 3. Some love it, some really hate it. It's my first Disgaea, but I've played other SRPGs like Fire Emblem, Tactics Ogre, and FFT. Still pretty early to have an opinion, but it seems fun to me so far.

Ha, you pay attention to the plot? I just love the grinding! Anyway, I thought Disgaea 2 was voted the worst? I don't mind.

And yes, buy this game!

[quote name='WormFOODx']Ha, you pay attention to the plot? I just love the grinding! Anyway, I thought Disgaea 2 was voted the worst? I don't mind.

And yes, buy this game![/QUOTE]

This. While i loved every game in the series, D2 was easily my least favorite. The cast was just bland, and the only character i truly liked was the one we werent supposed to, the Dark Hero Axel.

[quote name='dgwillia006']Enjoy your wait until Christmas to save 10$ then, i'll continue enjoying my 40$ that has given me upwards of 100 hours of gameplay.

Also, not really sure how this game could be considered worse than everything you listed, and the worst SRPG they ever made, but i'd prefer to keep my brain intact while trying to figure out the logic behind that statement.[/QUOTE]

I picked it up at full price too. With all the content on there it's easily worth it - I know I'll be playing this game for a long time.

[quote name='dgwillia006']Enjoy your wait until Christmas to save 10$ then, i'll continue enjoying my 40$ that has given me upwards of 100 hours of gameplay.

Also, not really sure how this game could be considered worse than everything you listed, and the worst SRPG they ever made, but i'd prefer to keep my brain intact while trying to figure out the logic behind that statement.[/QUOTE]

I don't play S-RPGs for the end game; I don't have time. So when I say it's worse than all those, I mean the main game is far worse when it comes to the plot and characters. I realize that you probably can't understand my logic not just because it's likely you haven't played the games I listed, but because you can't understand logic in general.

When the plot revolves around a situation where an ideal "student" doesn't show up to class or do anything, it makes sense for the game to end right there, simply because there wouldn't be any classes in the first place. So why do we have a game?

Besides that, the characters are forgettable at best. If you find stupid writing like

"The spice of life is a man's heart, BOOM!"

to be the epitome of hilarity (haha, it's like Emeril! Let's stretch the joke on for the entire game!) then perhaps I can see where you're coming from with your praise of Disgaea 3. But for people who have more than a minimal experience with characters in video games, there is nothing to be impressed with and everything to avoided.

Before the ">playing disgaea for the cast" begins, it's not like you can differentiate Disgaea games on the gameplay; it's all the same shit. So you may as well just only play Disgaea 4 then with generic units and call it a day.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']I don't play S-RPGs for the end game; I don't have time. So when I say it's worse than all those, I mean the main game is far worse when it comes to the plot and characters. I realize that you probably can't understand my logic not just because it's likely you haven't played the games I listed, but because you can't understand logic in general.

When the plot revolves around a situation where an ideal "student" doesn't show up to class or do anything, it makes sense for the game to end right there, simply because there wouldn't be any classes in the first place. So why do we have a game?

Besides that, the characters are forgettable at best. If you find stupid writing like

"The spice of life is a man's heart, BOOM!"

to be the epitome of hilarity (haha, it's like Emeril! Let's stretch the joke on for the entire game!) then perhaps I can see where you're coming from with your praise of Disgaea 3. But for people who have more than a minimal experience with characters in video games, there is nothing to be impressed with and everything to avoided.

Before the ">playing disgaea for the cast" begins, it's not like you can differentiate Disgaea games on the gameplay; it's all the same shit. So you may as well just only play Disgaea 4 then with generic units and call it a day.[/QUOTE]

So basically, your hatred comes from the fact you lack the time to play anything except the main game, and the story sucks? It's supposed to be humorous, read the weapon descriptions, damn near everything is a reference to something. A good chunk of the skills as well, its meant to be humorous.

Also i just dont see how you can say it sucks so horribly when your not even playing the best part of the game (And the longest part by far).

[quote name='Nohbdy']If you're taking anything seriously in a Disgaea game, you suck at humor.[/QUOTE]

lol

"See, there's this chef and... oh boy, get this. He... he says BOOM a lot. And umm... I think he's pretty manly. And LOL they're in school which is cool because they're more gooder at stuff when they're not in school. Aww man, you gotta play this. It's SUPER LOL"

Feel free to disagree but at least try to put some thought into your statements beyond a pathetic "no u", kthx.

[quote name='dgwillia006']So basically, your hatred comes from the fact you lack the time to play anything except the main game, and the story sucks? It's supposed to be humorous, read the weapon descriptions, damn near everything is a reference to something. A good chunk of the skills as well, its meant to be humorous.

Also i just dont see how you can say it sucks so horribly when your not even playing the best part of the game (And the longest part by far).[/QUOTE]

You know, it's almost like we like games for different reasons.

Not everyone likes post-game grinding. And for those who don't, I think it's fair to warn them that the story and characters are terrible. For someone who's only going to put 20-30 hours into this game, $20 is a good price because the main game experience isn't that great.

Those who want to put 70-80 hours into the post game will obviously place a higher value on this game, and $30 is a great price for them. But not for everybody.

[quote name='dgwillia006']So basically, your hatred comes from the fact you lack the time to play anything except the main game, and the story sucks? It's supposed to be humorous, read the weapon descriptions, damn near everything is a reference to something. A good chunk of the skills as well, its meant to be humorous.

Also i just dont see how you can say it sucks so horribly when your not even playing the best part of the game (And the longest part by far).[/QUOTE]

You know, it's almost like we like games for different reasons.

Not everyone likes post-game grinding. And for those who don't, I think it's fair to warn them that the story and characters are terrible. For someone who's only going to put 20-30 hours into this game, $20 is a good price because the main game experience isn't that great.

Those who want to put 70-80 hours into the post game will obviously place a higher value on this game, and $30 is a great price for them. More power to ya.

I can agree on that, but still, i just think your being kind of harsh on the story. Lots of people like the humerous style, i know some dont, but its pretty messed up to go rating it as the worst SRPG made by NIS. (And trust me, i have played some of their bad RPG's)

[quote name='dgwillia006']I can agree on that, but still, i just think your being kind of harsh on the story. Lots of people like the humerous style, i know some dont, but its pretty messed up to go rating it as the worst SRPG made by NIS. (And trust me, i have played some of their bad RPG's)[/QUOTE]

Which of the ones I listed were worse? Nippon Icchi only developed those four and the Disgaea games. If you're talking about S-RPGs NISA's published, then I assume we could start getting into some really bad games.

I played about 20 hours in on the PS3 version. I'm snagging this one cause it includes all the DLC which is something like an insane 50$ to pick up on PSN. Plus I feel this game is better suited for a portable as you can do a battle or 2 then put it down. It's my first and only Disgaea but I plan on getting 4 when I find it for a good price.

thank you Adniralvic!

Picked it up as I played a little of the PS3 version but having all the DLC and stuff is worth it. Looks like from the hype everyone says that it is MANY MANY hours of fun fun play time! Am playing through Persona 3P I got on PSN first so stuck it in the queue!

bread's done
Back