Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten (Premium Edition) $39.99 on Amazon

They had it this price during their lightning deals and I didn't jump on it then. Probably won't now. I'll wait for the regular version to hit $20.

[quote name='Kaiser499']Nice price for the Premium Edition.[/QUOTE]

especially since the std edition is still priced at $49.99.
waiting for std edition to drop to $20ish: can pass on the figurine & artbook.

I jumped.. Its technically the "poor and irish" premium version. The good premium still sits at $119 on their site.

Passing on the premium version of this game for 40$ is like passing up trading 1$ for 50$. Amazing game, already have about 70 hours in it myself (Have friends with upwards of 150)

Though, it might have been a better value at launch since it came with Fallen Angel Flonne DLC, which turned out to be rare.

i would be tempted, but seeing as Disgaea 3 is still sitting on my to do list i imagine it wouldn't be a solid investment at this time.

[quote name='dgwillia006']Passing on the premium version of this game for 40$ is like passing up trading 1$ for 50$. Amazing game, already have about 70 hours in it myself (Have friends with upwards of 150)

Though, it might have been a better value at launch since it came with Fallen Angel Flonne DLC, which turned out to be rare.[/QUOTE]

Okay - you have my attention sir. I have NEVER played a Disgaea game before. I have heard many praises about the series and this sequel specifically.

Sell me on this.

[quote name='blinknot4']Okay - you have my attention sir. I have NEVER played a Disgaea game before. I have heard many praises about the series and this sequel specifically.

Sell me on this.[/QUOTE]

Well, for one, its got a hilarious story (One of the trademarks of the series). Its quite long too, can take about 30-50 hours on the first run. Then theres the post game where everything comes into play, the difficulty ramps up, and you go from facing level 80-100 enemies, to enemies upwards of the 1000's (Up to the max level of 9999). This part of the game can easily last upwards of 200 hours depending on whether you get addicted or not.

Theres a large amount of different characters (Theres Humanoid characters and Monster type characters), theres a place called 'Item World" where you dive into an item, and fight up to 100 levels of randomly generated dungeon to improve an item.

Its just really hard to describe because the game always has had a ton of features, which they massively improve upon each new game. Theres plenty of other modes, and theres always something to do while your playing. Either way, its easily my favorite new SRPG series of this generation, which i always suggest to people. Plus theres a remake of the Disgaea 3 coming for Vita soon (With all the DLC included), incase you want to get in on the series. (Disgaea 1 and 2 are also pretty cheap instore/on PSN)

I think the soundtrack was through ordering NISA directly during the launch period. Does kinda suck though, Disgaea games always have good soundtracks

[quote name='dgwillia006']Well, for one, its got a hilarious story (One of the trademarks of the series). Its quite long too, can take about 30-50 hours on the first run. Then theres the post game where everything comes into play, the difficulty ramps up, and you go from facing level 80-100 enemies, to enemies upwards of the 1000's (Up to the max level of 9999). This part of the game can easily last upwards of 200 hours depending on whether you get addicted or not.

Theres a large amount of different characters (Theres Humanoid characters and Monster type characters), theres a place called 'Item World" where you dive into an item, and fight up to 100 levels of randomly generated dungeon to improve an item.

Its just really hard to describe because the game always has had a ton of features, which they massively improve upon each new game. Theres plenty of other modes, and theres always something to do while your playing. Either way, its easily my favorite new SRPG series of this generation, which i always suggest to people. Plus theres a remake of the Disgaea 3 coming for Vita soon (With all the DLC included), incase you want to get in on the series. (Disgaea 1 and 2 are also pretty cheap instore/on PSN)[/QUOTE]

Cool. Let me ask you this. I do not necessarily have the patience for many turn based RPGs. I also feel like I use my 'turns' only for healing my party and then ultimately I get my ass beat cuz I ran out of magical dust, etc.

Does this game require buckets of patience?

[quote name='blinknot4']Cool. Let me ask you this. I do not necessarily have the patience for many turn based RPGs. I also feel like I use my 'turns' only for healing my party and then ultimately I get my ass beat cuz I ran out of magical dust, etc.

Does this game require buckets of patience?[/QUOTE]

As far as healing goes, it might be a bit of a worry at first. But it wont be after a couple of chapters. You can easily call out a healer unit from your base panel, heal your injured members, and send them back in to avoid losing them (Or wasting MP). Also, theres a monster class that automatically heals a bit of HP each turn without using MP, so that might be useful for you (Its called the Alraune)

The game plays out really fast too, there arent many battles in the story mode outside of bosses (Or a few of the maps with disadvantaged setups), that will last upwards of 20-30 minutes.

It's a pretty easy game to get into, but pretty hard to master.

Bought this special edition in November for the same price. No idea when I'll ever get around to playing it since I haven't even played the first game yet.

This is a great deal for fans of the series that were holding out. I don't expect to see it much cheaper than $40 outside some holiday themed sale. For people interested that have never played the game, I would research a bit before dropping the $40. The game delivers fun gameplay and a humorous story but the meat of the game will come post story. Which will require a lot of time invested by the player in grinding maps for experience, running a good amount of maps to improve items, and similar things that will take a good amount of your time.

[quote name='dgwillia006']As far as healing goes, it might be a bit of a worry at first. But it wont be after a couple of chapters. You can easily call out a healer unit from your base panel, heal your injured members, and send them back in to avoid losing them (Or wasting MP). Also, theres a monster class that automatically heals a bit of HP each turn without using MP, so that might be useful for you (Its called the Alraune)

The game plays out really fast too, there arent many battles in the story mode outside of bosses (Or a few of the maps with disadvantaged setups), that will last upwards of 20-30 minutes.

It's a pretty easy game to get into, but pretty hard to master.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info - but I do not think it is for me (or my backlog!).

[quote name='willardhaven']Disgaea is a lot faster than other tactics games. They are a snore compared to this.[/QUOTE]

Are there difficulty settings if I constantly die?

Is it mostly 'point & click' with battles? Or am I incorrect? In other words, it's not like you 'run' around while battling... Right?

Anyone holding out on this shouldn't. This was one of the best games of 2011. If you don't have patience (like me) for these kinds of game turn off battle animations and race through it. The storyline alone did not let me put this game down for days. One thing I have to say about the Disgaea series is that EVERY game starts with a stupid cliche premise but ends up pulling a complete 180 on you and the story ends up being a lot more satisfying than you could begin to imagine. This is the kind of game you have to beat to appreciate not just play for an hour to sample.

[quote name='dgwillia006']I think the soundtrack was through ordering NISA directly during the launch period.[/QUOTE]

That's correct. The soundtrack was not packaged inside the Premium Edition game box, it was mailed outside but along with it.

[quote name='blinknot4']Are there difficulty settings if I constantly die?

Is it mostly 'point & click' with battles? Or am I incorrect? In other words, it's not like you 'run' around while battling... Right?[/QUOTE]

Right, it's like Final Fantasy tactics with more speed and a less clunky turn system.

You can increase or decrease the strength of enemies through the "senate". You have to have influence or items to bribe them to get your proposals passed. It's relatively easy to pass the "weaker monsters" bill.

bread's done
Back