Disgaea DS $10 Best Buy B&M YmmV

jt2k3

CAGiversary!
Sorry... Can't find the BB thread, but I picked up Disgaea DS today for $10 at Best Buy B&M North Attleboro Mass. They had a clearance bin in the front of the store with a ton of budget Wii titles, and lo and behold Disgaea DS marked $10 (about 6 copies).

This had to be manually price adjusted at the register so may be mega YMMV, just giving some heads up :)

Wow. It isn't a perfect port but given the limitations of the DS, it's very good. The Prinny commentary is great. If I didn't already have it, I'd definitely swing by BB.

Awesome deal, too bad BB is always a completely YMMV since every store clearance out games at their own discretion. But an awesome pick up if you can find a store that has this for $10. I paid $15 for mine and even at that price its a great price for it.

I may be able to get a copy, my best buy has a very slimier bin, and I have seen other NIS titles in it. I'll give it a check later.

Folks, this is a great version of Disgaea! Yes, the visual and aural fidelity is lower (and fewer voiceovers for sure), but the DS control and playability is fantastic. That second map screen on top makes planning your strategy (especially those Geo Panel explosions!) much easier to set up. I can't imagine playing the other versions now - they're prettier, but the DS version in my opinion wins out based on that second screen's infinite handiness.

(And yes, I know that any Disgaea is good Disgaea no matter how you dice it up :D)

Oh great now you are going to have to make me visit Walmart...

Odds are the store near me doesn't have it. Too bad I cannot call in to see if it is in stock and at what price because no one ever answers the phone.

[quote name='groundskeeper']Oh great now you are going to have to make me visit Walmart...

Odds are the store near me doesn't have it. Too bad I cannot call in to see if it is in stock and at what price because no one ever answers the phone.[/QUOTE]

Why are you going to visit Walmart? Just to hate on BB? Anyway, they didn't have any at my BB. Saw Rogue Galaxy for $4.99 though.

[quote name='keithp']Why are you going to visit Walmart? Just to hate on BB? Anyway, they didn't have any at my BB. Saw Rogue Galaxy for $4.99 though.[/QUOTE]

Oops - not sure where my head was there....

I bought this at launch and my save game is just over 270 hours.

I'm perfect leveling my first Super Robot Suit right now.

I like me some Disgaea.

[quote name='groundskeeper']Oops - not sure where my head was there....[/QUOTE]

No problem!

Checked a second store near me, it had less than the other one. If anyone picks up an extra I'd be willing to pay! PM me.

[quote name='detectiveconan16']I think it is on clearance now. I can't find it on the site![/quote]

After a pointless trip to BB, I found out that Disgaea DS is still $29.99 and is not on clearance. Unless you actually have someone at your BB tell you it's $10, don't waste the trip.

The only copies of this in my state are in the capitol and I just so happen to be going there in a couple weeks. If they're $10 there I will consider it fate and pick it up. The copy I got from GS didn't have the manual or case V_V.

[quote name='waxHead']After a pointless trip to BB, I found out that Disgaea DS is still $29.99 and is not on clearance. Unless you actually have someone at your BB tell you it's $10, don't waste the trip.[/QUOTE]

I dunno about that--neither of the stores I went to even had it on the shelf at regular price, so maybe your store is just slow in putting it on clearance?

This is going to be a no-go pretty much everywhere. The whole reason the YMMV Best Buy master thread was created was for situations just like this. There is some slight chance your local Best Buy may have some kind of discount on this game since it is no longer being restocked, but the chances of getting it for $10 are very, very low.

[quote name='keithp']I dunno about that--neither of the stores I went to even had it on the shelf at regular price, so maybe your store is just slow in putting it on clearance?[/quote]

Unfortunately, that's not how it works. In every Best Buy clearance I've seen (and there have been quite a few over the years), games are adjusted nation-wide, so once someone finds a game at a given price in one part of the country, it almost always shows up at that same price everywhere else.

Recently, there have been lots of YMMV Best Buy deals, but most involve special manager discounts which need to be overridden at the register. These are generally store-only deals based on slow-moving stock and these prices are rarely reflected at any other store (even in the same city).

To support that, as the OP wrote at in the original post:

[quote name='jt2k3']
This had to be manually price adjusted at the register so may be mega YMMV, just giving some heads up :)[/quote]

Like I said before, don't waste your time. But hey, if you have nothing better to do than drive from store to store getting games price-checked, be my guest!

To reiterate what's already been said, unless you live in North Attleboro, MA, you will not get this deal. The price had to be manually entered by manager override at the register.

Again, these types of deals either belong in the regional subforums, or the Best Buy YMMV thread. Otherwise, there are always people that get their hopes up and run out to their local Best Buy, only to be disappointed.

[quote name='waxHead']In every Best Buy clearance I've seen (and there have been quite a few over the years), games are adjusted nation-wide....
Recently, there have been lots of YMMV Best Buy deals....[/quote]

No. Does your BB have a special section for manually marked down clearance items? Where they tag everything with little, round, yellow stickers? Very few BB do, but this sounds like one of those instances.

My local Buy has one of these sections. But I'm still not tempted to go fishing for this deal, the chances are slim and none that this particular game will be on clearance here.

[quote name='fairtrade']No. Does your BB have a special section for manually marked down clearance items? Where they tag everything with little, round, yellow stickers? Very few BB do, but this sounds like one of those instances.

My local Buy has one of these sections. But I'm still not tempted to go fishing for this deal, the chances are slim and none that this particular game will be on clearance here.[/quote]

I have no idea if my BB has one of those sections, I only commented based on BB clearances I've been to since I joined this site.

Last night, I walked over to the games, grabbed Disgaea DS and had it price-checked - it rang up as $29.99. I figured I would post back here to save ppl some time, but instead, I'm getting into debates about the way clearances work.

Basically, if you think your BB has this game for $10, great, go grab it. If you think this was a one-time deal at one store (as I now do), then don't bother going. I'm done with this clearance discussion BS.

I just said you were wrong, it wasn't up for debate. :lol:

Some BB have a YMMV clearance section with completely batshit random games, some don't. Now you know.

Stivers%2012-12-02%20Knowledge%20is%20power.gif

bread's done
Back