Disgaea: Hour of Darkness new for $56.48 shipped [BACKORDERED]

glad I got this when Outpost found some in stock several months ago...one of my favorite games now...

I thought they were getting ready to reprint it again... Does anyone have any info about that? I have been wanting to play that game for years, and never got around to it. If I need to buy now or never have a chance to play it, I need to get it while it's still under $60 :)

[quote name='banpeikun']that is the most assinine auction ever. saying you'll throw something in if the auction reaches X dollars is one thing, but advertising it in the auction title is straight up misrepresentation.[/quote]

I didnt notice that, Definitely bullshit though.
Anyway, youre a fellow Plano CAG. Whats up man?

W/o either of those games... 200 is the absolute max I would pay for that bundle. But then he wants an extra 100 for what is essentially, disc-only MvC2. And another 100 for a ex-rental Disgaea with no manual. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

[quote name='orochi']W/o either of those games... 200 is the absolute max I would pay for that bundle. But then he wants an extra 100 for what is essentially, disc-only MvC2. And another 100 for a ex-rental Disgaea with no manual. :rofl::rofl::rofl:[/QUOTE]

Even before the Disgaea price jump on ebay, I think you would get that amount, or slightly less if you bundled them together.

That's crazy-- I remember when I picked up a copy for five dollars a few years ago in one of Circuit City's big sales.

I just ordered and...

Items on this Order Order Details/Edit
• 1 of: Disgaea: Hour Of Darkness (Sony PlayStation 2) @ $56.48ea.
Arrival Date: Tuesday, May 25 2004

and I'm going what the hell @ my arrival date.

Hopefully the PSP version will make it's way out soon. Even though I have the first for PS2 (and am still working my way through it) the PSP version would be great for burning hours away, being designed to be played almost FOREVER, and with extra content too!

[quote name='NightNinja7']I just ordered and...

Items on this Order Order Details/Edit
• 1 of: Disgaea: Hour Of Darkness (Sony PlayStation 2) @ $56.48ea.
Arrival Date: Tuesday, May 25 2004

and I'm going what the hell @ my arrival date.[/QUOTE]
So you checked resellerratings, saw they had a 2.5 lifetime rating, and ordered anyway?

What the hell were you thinking?

[quote name='chaarlieee']So you checked resellerratings, saw they had a 2.5 lifetime rating, and ordered anyway?

What the hell were you thinking?[/QUOTE]

desperation attempt? >_>

Im sorry, but Altus can kiss my ass. People over at the PlayStation forums are telling me that the games are worth it. There is no way in hell anyone can justify to me that paying $50+ for games that have been out for years is worth it.

I'm talking about Disgaea 1, Digital Devil Saga 1, Nocturne. Im sure Disgaea 2 will be up in price in a years time (i pre-ordered) as well as Digital Devil Saga 2. Seriously, can they not reprint these games? They are losing out on customers because i know im not the only one that WON'T pay these insane prices.

*Edit: the worse part about this is that i honestly want to play these games.

[quote name='SynGamer']Im sorry, but Altus can kiss my ass. People over at the PlayStation forums are telling me that the games are worth it. There is no way in hell anyone can justify to me that paying $50+ for games that have been out for years is worth it.

I'm talking about Disgaea 1, Digital Devil Saga 1, Nocturne. Im sure Disgaea 2 will be up in price in a years time (i pre-ordered) as well as Digital Devil Saga 2. Seriously, can they not reprint these games? They are losing out on customers because i know im not the only one that WON'T pay these insane prices.

*Edit: the worse part about this is that i honestly want to play these games.[/QUOTE]

Disgaea has had at least 3 reprints. Nocturne has been printed twice. It's not out of the question that they'll get additional runs, but if you really want them, you just gotta grab 'em while they're readily available.

Which is why people think other people are willing to pay the price even if you don't. The companiese that reprint the games arnt going to do it if they think there isnt a market. Atlus simply dosent over print their games, they feel they;re selling niche titles not mass market titles and thus they're morelikely to have shortages than over prints which kills their bottom line.

Moral of the story (or atleast what Atlus would want you to learn) is get them while you can so you can avoid getting dicked later when the stocks are low and resellers smell blood.

[quote name='Strider Turbulence']Disgaea has had at least 3 reprints. Nocturne has been printed twice. It's not out of the question that they'll get additional runs, but if you really want them, you just gotta grab 'em while they're readily available.[/quote]

See, i didnt hear about the series until roughly a year ago. But i saw that the game was $40 and assumed it would go down. That was the first Altus game i ever heard of/saw...so i didnt know it woudl skyrocket in price.

With PS2 being replaced by next gen stuff soon. I'm not sure if those PS2 titles will get reprints in the future. Why reprint the old gen titles when it's a PS3 market?

[quote name='eau']With PS2 being replaced by next gen stuff soon. I'm not sure if those PS2 titles will get reprints in the future. Why reprint the old gen titles when it's a PS3 market?[/QUOTE]

Rhapsody and Alundra (1 or 2?) were reprinted not too long ago. Both PSX titles.

[quote name='eau']With PS2 being replaced by next gen stuff soon. I'm not sure if those PS2 titles will get reprints in the future. Why reprint the old gen titles when it's a PS3 market?[/quote]

I know it's a rhetorical question but some replies could focus on the potential backwards compatibility of the PS3 coupled with a surge of renewed interest in Disgaea once again now that the sequel is out?

Then again, if Atlus didn't already have plans for a reprint right before NIS released Disgaea 2 stateside that could be a problem. And if the renewed interest is going to be snuffed out sickeningly fast by EB/GS being one of the few chains to still have Disgaea and charging $70 for a copy...perhaps not.

It seems like having a shortage is good PR. It doesn't matter if a game is garbage or not, the scarcity makes the value skyrocket. Now combine the facts that Atlus makes pretty damn good games and the fact that they make in such small quantities, it makes for a reseller's wet dream.

[quote name='depascal22']It seems like having a shortage is good PR. It doesn't matter if a game is garbage or not, the scarcity makes the value skyrocket. Now combine the facts that Atlus makes pretty damn good games and the fact that they make in such small quantities, it makes for a reseller's wet dream.[/quote]
And a nightmare for gamers like myself who just want to play a good game, but cant afford $50 for a game thats been out for 2+ years.

I was lucky and got it from gamequestdirect. This was before they smashed the hell out of my copy of Persona 2 and now I have a fatwa signed out on them.

[quote name='eau']With PS2 being replaced by next gen stuff soon. I'm not sure if those PS2 titles will get reprints in the future. Why reprint the old gen titles when it's a PS3 market?[/QUOTE]

precisely, we saw this when the PS1 life cycle ended. The only game reprinted were the newer Greatest Hits games. This year and the next, if there is a PS2 game that you want (especially if it's an RPG) get it. Chances are there will be only one print run.

[quote name='boyward']So will Disgaea 2 be as hard to find as the original? Should I jump on it now while it's still only $50?[/QUOTE]

Hard to say. Atlus is notorious for small print runs, and they have managed to sell out of three prints of the first Disgaea. Some of their other games (DDS1&2, Phantom Brave, Makai Kingdom) are easier to find, and in the case of those latter two, around $20.

I don't expect Disgaea to get any big print run, and even less would I expect to see it for any less than $30 (and you're not likely to see it often selling below $40 ever in its lifespan).

It's the best known of Atlus' SRPGs, so I'd recommend getting it now, if you really want to play it. If you want it as a collector, or don't really care if you play it or not, then you can wait and pass.

Isn't Disgaea 2 published by NIS America? Correct me if I wrong but it seems the games that hold their value are published by Atlus themselves.

[quote name='mykevermin']Hard to say. Atlus is notorious for small print runs, and they have managed to sell out of three prints of the first Disgaea. Some of their other games (DDS1&2, Phantom Brave, Makai Kingdom) are easier to find, and in the case of those latter two, around $20.

I don't expect Disgaea to get any big print run, and even less would I expect to see it for any less than $30 (and you're not likely to see it often selling below $40 ever in its lifespan).

It's the best known of Atlus' SRPGs, so I'd recommend getting it now, if you really want to play it. If you want it as a collector, or don't really care if you play it or not, then you can wait and pass.[/quote]
You're mistaking Atlus for Nippon Ichi. When you say the "Atlus SRPGs", you're wrong. You mean the Nippon Ichi SRPGs.

Atlus never published Phantom Brave or Makai Kingdom. NIS America did, and that's why Phantom Brave and Makai Kingdom are so easy to find. Atlus only has one tie with Nippon Ichi, and that is Disgaea.

DDS1 is very tough to find as well as very high priced, I don't know what you're talking about. DDS2 is pretty uncommon, but it's not high priced yet.

Since this guy gave you all the wrong answers, here's my answer:

Disgaea 2 won't be tough to find at all. It won't ever get to the price or rarity as the original, since NIS America published it rather than Atlus. If D2 ever gets ridiculously high priced, you can bet NIS will be more than willing to repritn the game.

Now, if you're wondering if the Disgaea 2 Complete set w/ the artbook will be priced at insane amounts, well...it will be in 2-3 years. Hell, sellers are pricing it high now. It's really all about that artbook though.

[quote name='NightNinja7']So uh.. topic creator, how is your order? :/[/quote]

Well, you guys have made me a little nervous :p. After looking at the ratings for the store and the fact that they haven't e-mailed me back makes me a bit nervous. Still hoping I'll get it, though.

[quote name='xghostsniperx']Well, you guys have made me a little nervous :p. After looking at the ratings for the store and the fact that they haven't e-mailed me back makes me a bit nervous. Still hoping I'll get it, though.[/QUOTE]

same, they haven't emailed me either. :(

also what about your order? My payment is currently "pending" -_-;

[quote name='NightNinja7']same, they haven't emailed me either. :(

also what about your order? My payment is currently "pending" -_-;[/quote]

Well, they just e-mailed me about my order number. My payment status is also pending.

Ah well, the credit card hasn't been charged, and I didn't have much hope of getting it anyways.

[quote name='xghostsniperx']You're mistaking Atlus for Nippon Ichi. When you say the "Atlus SRPGs", you're wrong. You mean the Nippon Ichi SRPGs.

Atlus never published Phantom Brave or Makai Kingdom. NIS America did, and that's why Phantom Brave and Makai Kingdom are so easy to find. Atlus only has one tie with Nippon Ichi, and that is Disgaea.

DDS1 is very tough to find as well as very high priced, I don't know what you're talking about. DDS2 is pretty uncommon, but it's not high priced yet.

Since this guy gave you all the wrong answers, here's my answer:

Disgaea 2 won't be tough to find at all. It won't ever get to the price or rarity as the original, since NIS America published it rather than Atlus. If D2 ever gets ridiculously high priced, you can bet NIS will be more than willing to repritn the game.

Now, if you're wondering if the Disgaea 2 Complete set w/ the artbook will be priced at insane amounts, well...it will be in 2-3 years. Hell, sellers are pricing it high now. It's really all about that artbook though.[/QUOTE]

I won't say I got *everything* wrong, but a significant thing I did get incorrect is that NIS is publishing Disgaea 2, not Atlus. The former has a track record of keeping games readily available over the latter, so that may change whether or not you want to jump on this game immediately.

I will contend that DDS1 is hard to find, but by no means impossible. At least three GS/EB in my area have it in stock; that's a conversation for another thread, however.

[quote name='xghostsniperx']Well, they just e-mailed me about my order number. My payment status is also pending.

Ah well, the credit card hasn't been charged, and I didn't have much hope of getting it anyways.[/QUOTE]

sigh... didn't even get an email regarding an order number, though I have one from when I ordered on Saturday. sigh.

Just placed an order now that it's in stock.. might as well.. a brand new and sealed Disgaea is worth more to me than $60.. hell, I could sell my used and slightly scratched complete copy for more than that.

[quote name='DustBoogie']Just placed an order now that it's in stock.. might as well.. a brand new and sealed Disgaea is worth more to me than $60.. hell, I could sell my used and slightly scratched complete copy for more than that.[/QUOTE]

Lets hope that place actually has it and will send it.

[quote name='NightNinja7']Lets hope that place actually has it and will send it.[/QUOTE]

*shrug* They say they won't charge your card until it ships.. so.. worth a shot.

[quote name='DustBoogie']*shrug* They say they won't charge your card until it ships.. so.. worth a shot.[/QUOTE]

Very true... I just wish their live chat would work -_-;

How odd... I'm sure I placed that link on the first page... anyways...

that place didn't even get reviewed for the last six months, so the service could (hopefully) be improved. And for resellerratings, they rated outpost.com rather low... I had extremely good service with them for all the past things that I bought. So I dunno...

HmmMMMMM I really want Disgaea but I don't want to shell out 65 dollars at all. Thanks for posting this OP but this deal just feels shady. I guess I'll just borrow my friends copy.

bread's done
Back