Disney Infinity Deals Compilation Thread

Has anybody ordered or heard of that Fishpond.com site before? Would like to order from them to save a few dollars but I have never of them before.

Hey guys, I posted the Series 1 exclusive was back online.  Well, I went to the store to do my in store pickup of a few items, and found the series 1 exclusive at TRU was in the store.  Applied the 2 for $6 too.  Pretty well stocked on birthday gifts now :)  My wife will be having a very Disney birthday!

Hey guys, I posted the Series 1 exclusive was back online. Well, I went to the store to do my in store pickup of a few items, and found the series 1 exclusive at TRU was in the store. Applied the 2 for $6 too. Pretty well stocked on birthday gifts now :) My wife will be having a very Disney birthday!
Did the 2 for $6 work or did it need to be overridden?

Has anybody ordered or heard of that Fishpond.com site before? Would like to order from them to save a few dollars but I have never of them before.
I checked them out a little and going by reviews if you want your stuff in a timely manner you should probably pass. I'm not in a big hurry so I preordered the Wreck-It-Ralph set.

Amazon has the starter pack down to $60 right now.

I'm really on the fence about this one though. Skylanders was a huge hit in my house, Giants to a lesser degree, so I worry that the kids are feeling a little saturated. Still Disney is on the list of games my kids want to play, but unlike Skylanders, it seems like rather than buying a minimum of one guy from each element, Disney cleverly (fiendishly?) makes it so that you need to buy quite a few characters, with constant in-game reminders that you need to buy more dudes. Is that everyone's experience too?

Power discs, tons of characters. Bleh...I'm trying to get up for it, but Skylanders did it so well, that I'm annoyed by Disney's prices, and worry that I'll drop $100 for a game that the kids grow tired of because they don't have enough guys to play it well. Nevermind..I'm reading about more and more of the peripheral crap and think that this post talked me out of it. Too confusing, too much. :/

Amazon has the starter pack down to $60 right now.

I'm really on the fence about this one though. Skylanders was a huge hit in my house, Giants to a lesser degree, so I worry that the kids are feeling a little saturated. Still Disney is on the list of games my kids want to play, but unlike Skylanders, it seems like rather than buying a minimum of one guy from each element, Disney cleverly (fiendishly?) makes it so that you need to buy quite a few characters, with constant in-game reminders that you need to buy more dudes. Is that everyone's experience too?

Power discs, tons of characters. Bleh...I'm trying to get up for it, but Skylanders did it so well, that I'm annoyed by Disney's prices, and worry that I'll drop $100 for a game that the kids grow tired of because they don't have enough guys to play it well. Nevermind..I'm reading about more and more of the peripheral crap and think that this post talked me out of it. Too confusing, too much. :/
If all you need is a 2-player co-op experience, you can get away with just the starter pack and either the sidekicks or villains set.

Starter kit is $60, as you mentioned. Cheap as it's ever been.

The sidekicks/villains 3-packs have gotten as low as $15 in the past, but a few weeks back a 30% coupon at Toys R Us would have brought those down to $21. So you can get started with the basics at around $85 and see what you think.

As I'm typing this out I'm slowly calculating rough numbers for the amount of Disney Infinity crap I've purchased...come to think of it I'd rather not know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Starter kit is $60, as you mentioned. Cheap as it's ever been.
No, at least not for some of us. If you live near a Fred Meyer it was available towards the end of the first week for $40 ($75 with $25 gift card minus $10 off $50 coupon). And unlike some places, at FM the gift card is as good as cash since you can just turn right around and use it on groceries. Even without the coupon part it was $50 that whole week (mostly AK/WA/OR only of course). That's the only reason I have the game now, which then prompted me to spend tons more on the accessories. So, yeah, they got me with that low price ;).

I wouldn't be surprised if there aren't similar deals more widely available for Black Friday. After all, it is in their best interest to get the Starter Pack in as many people's hands as possible. I could see them selling it as a loss leader with the hope of making it up on Toy Story playsets and whatnot. Frankly, I'm surprised it hasn't been on sale more frequently since release.

But yeah, berzirk, as maximumzero mentioned, all you really need for coop is the Starter Pack and one 3-pack of characters. That gives you coop on the 3 included play set stories. With just that alone (even if you never touch Toy Box mode), you will get 30-40 hours of pretty good license-movie type coop play. As I said a long time ago in this thread, the play set story games themselves are decent $20-ish games in and of themselves. So the $60 for the Starter Pack is a decent value. Yeah, you need to drop another $25-$30 (or whatever they are now) on the 3-pack (for coop) so that kind of stinks. But you can definitely do it for less than $100 and get a decent amount of play out of it. Then you are set up for the other 3 play sets if it turns out your kids do really enjoy the game.

But actually, I'd say the "reminders" in-game are much less annoying than they are for Skylanders. All they do in game is unlock 1 or 2 challenges (races, collect-a-thons, etc - that you will have plenty of regardless) and chests/vaults that have pieces for the Toy Box mode (whereas in Skylanders you are blocked from certain areas without the right type of character). If you don't care about that, then there is no reason at all to get the other characters. You don't even need the "1 of each element" thing like for Skylanders. You can fully complete each story with just 1 character. And they don't "die" like Skylanders characters so there's no need to constantly swap them on the portal. Also, the power discs are completely unnecessary. So in a way, even though the game is more expensive and has more stuff to collect, overall it is probably cheaper than Skylanders in terms of getting the "full" experience.

Good to know. I remember getting Skylanders on a whim at Freddies for somewhere around $30, then plunked down about $200 in total on that game. Definitely got hooked.

I think the higher prices for Disney guys is pissing me off, along with some reviewers saying large portions of the game are unplayable unless you have the right character kits (vs Skylanders, where you needed one guy from each element). Then you throw in the little power coin gizmos...Jeeeezus. We'll see. I'll keep an eye out on Fred Meyer for sure.

I think the higher prices for Disney guys is pissing me off, along with some reviewers saying large portions of the game are unplayable unless you have the right character kits (vs Skylanders, where you needed one guy from each element). Then you throw in the little power coin gizmos...Jeeeezus. We'll see. I'll keep an eye out on Fred Meyer for sure.
I edited my response several times there but I'd say those reviewers have it completely backwards. They might be referring to the need to have all the characters to get Toy Box mode pieces. But that is completely optional and extra beyond the main game and something that Skylanders lacks completely so it really isn't fair to compare them that way. I played through 3 play set campaigns and you really don't need more than 1 character to finish any of them. Nothing is locked away except for a challenge or two, a couple of chests, and the big "vault" that requires all the characters from that play set to unlock.

The challenges are little circles that you stand on to initiate. They are usually races, battles, or timed balloon popping quests. There are tons of them and all you get with each character is another 1 or 2 of those - completely superfluous. The chests and big vault have some experience/money in them and then Toy Box mode pieces - all of which is unnecessary to complete the story portions.

Now, if you want to get in-depth with the Toy Box mode and build your own worlds, then, yeah, it could get pretty annoying since you need every character to unlock all the bits and pieces for building. But you don't need all of them to build something either...

But yeah, if you have access to Fred Meyer then I'd just wait for a sale combined with a $10 off $50 coupon - as you know, those get pretty common leading up to Christmas.

I edited my response several times there but I'd say those reviewers have it completely backwards. They might be referring to the need to have all the characters to get Toy Box mode pieces. But that is completely optional and extra beyond the main game and something that Skylanders lacks completely so it really isn't fair to compare them that way. I played through 3 play set campaigns and you really don't need more than 1 character to finish any of them. Nothing is locked away except for a challenge or two, a couple of chests, and the big "vault" that requires all the characters from that play set to unlock.

The challenges are little circles that you stand on to initiate. They are usually races, battles, or timed balloon popping quests. There are tons of them and all you get with each character is another 1 or 2 of those - completely superfluous. The chests and big vault have some experience/money in them and then Toy Box mode pieces - all of which is unnecessary to complete the story portions.

Now, if you want to get in-depth with the Toy Box mode and build your own worlds, then, yeah, it could get pretty annoying since you need every character to unlock all the bits and pieces for building. But you don't need all of them to build something either...

But yeah, if you have access to Fred Meyer then I'd just wait for a sale combined with a $10 off $50 coupon - as you know, those get pretty common leading up to Christmas.
Right on. Good tips. Thanks.

Also, as briefly pointed out above, DI is way more value for your money than Skylanders is...  Yes, the playsets & figures cost you more than what Skylanders offers, but at least with the playsets they do offer a lot more gameplay than your average Skylanders add on.  It's incredibly easy to wind up wasting an hour or two in the toybox at a time, and then there's separate challenges & things in that mode as well.  You could easily spend 40-50+ hours on the starter pack alone, whereas with Skylanders you've got 8-15 hours and you're done. 

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that yes, they do charge a bit more than they should for the figures and power discs, and it sucks. But, what I'm mostly trying to emphasize is, you do actually get some good value for your money spent.  

The starter sets are 60 bucks at Target (probably what amazon is matching) but the wiiu version is eligible for the current B2g1f, so 40 bucks even if you just return the other 2 games.

Not sure if anyone is interested or if this has already been posted but GameStop will have an exclusive Jack Skellington cover for the game guide.

LINK

If you buy a starter pack or the Jack Skellington figure, you get $10 off the guide.

Wow, they're really finding ways to milk this franchise already that I didn't think were possible ... character covers for the same guide, color variant cases for the discs at TRU ... I like Disney, but I think the ruthless capitalistic side of the company might be rearing it's head a bit too much for my tastes.

Wow, they're really finding ways to milk this franchise already that I didn't think were possible ... character covers for the same guide, color variant cases for the discs at TRU ... I like Disney, but I think the ruthless capitalistic side of the company might be rearing it's head a bit too much for my tastes.
And this differs from what other business trying to make money?

And this differs from what other business trying to make money?
Gee ... I don't know, releasing a product that doesn't use tactics that exploit children's innate desire to collect every little thing. There's a difference between a solid business model and exploitation, from what I've seen, Disney Infinity is trending more towards finding every possible way to take parents' money.

It's the difference between a great game you pay $60 for and Farmville ... don't be daft and act like there's no difference in those models. Disney Infinity isn't at a freemium level just yet, but they're releasing some rather suspect stuff that even Skylanders hasn't stooped to yet.

Gee ... I don't know, releasing a product that doesn't use tactics that exploit children's innate desire to collect every little thing. There's a difference between a solid business model and exploitation, from what I've seen, Disney Infinity is trending more towards finding every possible way to take parents' money.

It's the difference between a great game you pay $60 for and Farmville ... don't be daft and act like there's no difference in those models. Disney Infinity isn't at a freemium level just yet, but they're releasing some rather suspect stuff that even Skylanders hasn't stooped to yet.
You're complaining about a model that most companies use. If you think this is "bad" look at what they do by increasing the price of tickets and passes for the Disney theme parks. You're preaching something most people have known about Disney and are either ok with it, don't care or just won't buy into what they offer. The Disney name and the Mickey ears are like gold and you will pay premium price for what they offer and if you like collecting Disney items, you'll buy what the sell even if it is foolish to by multiples of the same thing.

So....interesting conversation and all, but is there any word on any upcoming sales or deals in the next couple weeks? The kiddo's birthday is rapidly approaching and I'd like to save some money on some of this stuff. Grabbed Dash, Violet, and Davy Jones when they were B2G1 at Target, but I'd like to see a deal on the three packs or playsets.

So....interesting conversation and all, but is there any word on any upcoming sales or deals in the next couple weeks? The kiddo's birthday is rapidly approaching and I'd like to save some money on some of this stuff. Grabbed Dash, Violet, and Davy Jones when they were B2G1 at Target, but I'd like to see a deal on the three packs or playsets.
If the crystal versions are coming out in a couple weeks, I'd expect some sort of deal/s coming out around that time. Haven't heard nor seen anything though.

There have been a lot of starter pack deals the last two weeks. I would expect figure and playset sales coming soon to piggyback on the starter sets sold recently.

Picked up a Woody today. I figured why the heck not?

Also, I'm loving the Jack that Gamestop is selling. I wish they made more display cases like that. Ones that suit the character. Be much nicer to display I think. Maybe somebody will start making custom ones.

Getting the Woody was a huge hassle at my WalMart (Doral, FL). They had about 30 Woodys out. Of course the registered did not want to sell it since it was before release date. I had to b**** & complain (politely in Spanish) till they got a manager to see me. I had to tell the manager its not fair to me or anyone that you have 30+ out on the floor and refuse to sell it. Its not my fault your employees cannot follow the streetdate. Either pull them off the shelves now or in not leaving till you sell me one. She caved in and sold me one. :)

It looks like Gamestop is having their own Disney Infinity Day next Saturday, timing it with the release of the Jack Skellington figure.  There will be posters for the first 50 customers and beyond the guide deal, should be a good place to do power disc swaps.  Other than that it's a pretty quiet week overall for deals but please let me know if you see any.

Walmart

(Upcoming exclusive 10/1) Disney Infinity Figure - Woody (not a deal) - $12.96

Gamestop

(Upcoming exclusive 10/5) Disney Infinity Game Guide with Exclusive Jack Skellington Cover - $9.99 (reg. $19.99) with purchase of Jack figure or Starter Kit per their Disney Infinity Day

(Upcoming exclusive 10/5) Disney Infinity Figure - Jack Skellington (not a deal) - $13.99

Is it confirmed that the "Race to Space" crystal pack of McQueen and Buzz will be in the US?
I'm going to assume that it is, I believe it's a TRU exclusive. As far as I know, there haven't been any exclusive international variants released to date, so I doubt they would start now.

Getting the Woody was a huge hassle at my WalMart (Doral, FL). They had about 30 Woodys out. Of course the registered did not want to sell it since it was before release date. I had to b**** & complain (politely in Spanish) till they got a manager to see me. I had to tell the manager its not fair to me or anyone that you have 30+ out on the floor and refuse to sell it. Its not my fault your employees cannot follow the streetdate. Either pull them off the shelves now or in not leaving till you sell me one. She caved in and sold me one. :)
My Wal-Mart told me they were on recall and that's why they couldn't sell it to me. I felt like telling them they screwed up and put something out early that they shouldn't have after she walked away with it...I wrote a nice little note to them letting them know that if they are going to put something out early, they had better freakin sell it!

just because they had it out doesn't mean they have to sell it to you, they really shouldn't have

So because one guy want's to be an asshole because he couldn't get his hands on his woody Wal-Mart should break the street date and potentially be fined because of it?

So because one guy want's to be an asshole because he couldn't get his hands on his woody Wal-Mart should break the street date and potentially be fined because of it?
Maybe if Wal-Mart doesnt want to break street date or get fined, they shouldnt put product out before the street date?

Are you sure that whole 'fining' thing applies here? I'm nearly positive that type of punishment is only enforced by companies during major releases, like Call of Duty games, new consoles, etc.

I'm fairly certain that Walmart wouldn't be fined for selling their own retail exclusive early. Normally the 'oh we can't sell it because we're going to get fined' is just crap that uneducated Best Buy employees spout off when a game gets shelved early in my experience. I mean, I could be wrong, but does anyone actually have any proof of these 'fines' and times where companies have gone after any major retailer (I'm not talking mom and pop stores, but the major players like Walmart and Target.)

-Edit-

Just to add to that, the quote below is from 2008 but I have to assume it's still relevant. Basically, it shows that the "guaranteed $10,000 fine for breaking street date" is a myth perpetuated by uneducated retail employees and utilized by large companies (both retailers and gaming companies) to keep their dim witted minions from putting out products before a major launch. Evidently fines are possible, but extremely rare and normally a company will punish a retailer by withholding future stock rather than a one time fine -

"To correct people- this $10,000 fine is a misnomer. There is no fine for breaking street date.  Being a former retail manager- i can tell you that the penalty is that the distributor will hold their shipments for your new release product. They will not ship your store product until the release date thereby delaying your ability to sell it on street date. Come on, they are going to fine their customers (stores) they so desparately need? I think not."

The whole "Race to Space" package concerns/annoys me...

Back when Disney Infinity launched I had no intention of collecting the crystal figures, but after a week with the game I realized how much I was enjoying it and I figured I may as well "collect then all", so I tracked down a crystal Lightning McQueen figure to add to my collection. Since the figure operates nearly identical in game, I decided to leave it in the packaging and just scan it through the packaging to add it to the Hall of Heroes.

Simultaneously, I picked up one of the Toys R Us exclusive power disc albums and I've been collecting all the power discs. I've got a complete series 1 set along with the two TRU exclusive discs they've released so far.

So now we've got this race to space pack, which looks like a nice package, but for someone in my situation it presents two issues:

1) Purchasing the Race to Space pack means I have a duplicate Lightning McQueen. This isn't a massive problem really, as I still have my receipt and the figure is still boxed, so I can easily return it.

2) It appears that the race to space pack includes two of the TRU exclusive discs. If I want to add these to my power disc album, I'll have to open the packaging to do so, something I wasn't planning on doing.

I'll be purchasing it, but I'll probably hold onto my receipt for a bit in hopes that Toys R Us sells Buzz separately and that the power discs show up in the TRU blind bags.

Regarding the Race to Space pack, I said this once as a joke but I really believe it: there will be more exclusive packs. This will not be the only opportunity Toys R Us gives it's customers to buy the crystal Buzz or that power disc. For all we know, that disc is a series 3 disc with an exclusive accent color. And if TRU can package two characters as disparate as Buzz and Lightning McQueen, they will package other characters together later. We all thought we had to go after the crystal McQueen figure because it flew off shelves in the first week, and that didn't turn out to be the case. There is no way TRU will sell Buzz only as part of a two-pack. It may be a couple months until we see it again, but we will definitely see it again. They will not waste their opportunity to sell exclusives.

And on the issue of the Woody figure being at Walmart early... I can't think of a worse way to have done that exclusive. It seems that no one in the stores had any idea that the figure was available for pre-order and it was only available for pre-order online. That's confusing, but excusable.

Now many Walmarts have the figure in stock but refuse to sell it. That's the crazy part. I don't fault them for refusing to sell early. I fault them for having no apparent mechanism to keep things off the shelf that they aren't supposed to sell yet. Walmart's bright idea for keeping the figures until 10/1 was to lock them out at the register. While that works, it only frustrates customers and creates more work for the employees. It also wastes time if what I'm reading in various forums is any indication. And then there's the added bonus of employees assuming the item isn't for sale because it's been recalled and then telling customers that.

"Hey customer, you can't buy this thing today because we think it's been recalled. We're going to pull them all off the shelves. When you come back tomorrow, you'll be able to buy it, but we won't know that. And none of these will be on the shelf since we pulled them, so someone will have to ask specifically for one or you probably won't see them again for a week."

So you can see it today but not buy it, and tomorrow you can buy it but you probably won't be able to find it.

I'm happy to wait until I can order one from Amazon... I just find this hilarious.

It is. Store pick up gets you store credit though.
Not a problem, as I actually bought him in the store. I'm just debating returning my Lightning McQueen figure when the Race to Space pack drops. Or I may just hold onto him in hopes that Buzz & the Discs are released separately.

OFFICIAL: Jack Skellington Figure "Collector's Edition" Coming to GameStop 10/5

http://infinityinquirer.com/2013/09/30/official-jack-skellington-figure-collectors-edition-coming-to-gamestop-105/

If that case is a high quality and not just a piece of cardboard, I'll get it.
Oh man, I wasn't intending on picking up the Jack figure until there was some sort of deal, but that looks pretty nice.

I guess I'll be at my local Gamestop on Saturday at 10AM. Luckily I live in a fairly rural area so there shouldn't be any issues with crowds or available inventory.

Are you sure that whole 'fining' thing applies here? I'm nearly positive that type of punishment is only enforced by companies during major releases, like Call of Duty games, new consoles, etc.

I'm fairly certain that Walmart wouldn't be fined for selling their own retail exclusive early. Normally the 'oh we can't sell it because we're going to get fined' is just crap that uneducated Best Buy employees spout off when a game gets shelved early in my experience. I mean, I could be wrong, but does anyone actually have any proof of these 'fines' and times where companies have gone after any major retailer (I'm not talking mom and pop stores, but the major players like Walmart and Target.)

-Edit-

Just to add to that, the quote below is from 2008 but I have to assume it's still relevant. Basically, it shows that the "guaranteed $10,000 fine for breaking street date" is a myth perpetuated by uneducated retail employees and utilized by large companies (both retailers and gaming companies) to keep their dim witted minions from putting out products before a major launch. Evidently fines are possible, but extremely rare and normally a company will punish a retailer by withholding future stock rather than a one time fine -

"To correct people- this $10,000 fine is a misnomer. There is no fine for breaking street date. Being a former retail manager- i can tell you that the penalty is that the distributor will hold their shipments for your new release product. They will not ship your store product until the release date thereby delaying your ability to sell it on street date. Come on, they are going to fine their customers (stores) they so desparately need? I think not."
Props for this post. The "fine" thing is complete BS from every angle I've researched it so far. Thanks for spelling it all out again here as it saved me the effort. Simply put, a publisher can attempt to levy a fine against a retailer if they really want to, but the retailer is under no obligation to pay it unless the publisher sues and wins in a court of law. Good luck with that legal mess. So Disney can get mad and stop sending shipments of Infinity to WM if they want. Lets see who's gonna lose out on that one. It won't be WalMart. Basically, it isn't going to happen.

bread's done
Back