Disney Miyazaki DVDs

j-fever

CAGiversary!
Feedback
87 (100%)
Where is the cheapest place to get the US/Disney Miyazaki DVDs? Specifcally I am looking for:

Laputa (Castle in the Sky)
Kiki's Delivery Service
Porco Rosso
Nausicca
Spirited Away
Totoro
Castle Cagliostro

Thanks

Any package deals available except what Amazon has? Anyone know what the lowest new retail price (active or expired) has been for the dvds and sold by what store?

Thanks

[quote name='j-fever']Any package deals available except what Amazon has? Anyone know what the lowest new retail price (active or expired) has been for the dvds and sold by what store?

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Well, a couple months ago, both Best Buy and Suncoast were selling most of the Disney Miyazaki films for $15 each. At Best Buy, there was also that Disney DVD gift card thing (like a GGC), so that was a pretty good deal if you were trying to buy them all.

I don't know if they were cheaper anywhere else at any time in history. They probably were.

Yeah, the Miyazaki DVDs tend to never drop or go on sale. Your best bet is either the DDD sale, or wait until the next wave gets released early next year (Howl's Moving Castle, Totoro), and maybe BB or CC will have a deal where you get get some money knocked off if you buy them together, but it's way too soon to tell.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']But the original Fox dub is so damn great, and it can be found for about $5 these days. Get both![/QUOTE]

Are you joking? I heard that the original release was in pan-and-scan.

[quote name='_heretic']Are you joking? I heard that the original release was in pan-and-scan.[/QUOTE]
Doesn't matter. The dub is flawless, and every human alive should own it.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Doesn't matter. The dub is flawless, and every human alive should own it.[/QUOTE]

DOESN'T MATTER?

Just like reproductions of Giotto frescos look just as good on paper, right?

The pan and scan Totoro is terrible. It absolutely destroys the color and atmosphere of the film. Every beautiful, painstakingly handmade backdrop and nuance in that film is lost in that version.

The dub is great, I'll give you that, but the movie is shitty in terms of reproduction that it undercuts the whole sense of awe and wonder that Miyazaki so eloquently creates.

[quote name='Sleepkyng']DOESN'T MATTER?

Just like reproductions of Giotto frescos look just as good on paper, right?

The pan and scan Totoro is terrible. It absolutely destroys the color and atmosphere of the film. Every beautiful, painstakingly handmade backdrop and nuance in that film is lost in that version.

The dub is great, I'll give you that, but the movie is shitty in terms of reproduction that it undercuts the whole sense of awe and wonder that Miyazaki so eloquently creates.[/QUOTE]
I think you misunderstood. Of course I'd love a copy of Totoro shown in its original aspect ratio, and I intend on picking up the Disney version the very day it's released. What I *was* saying is that the Fox dub is so good that it's worth every penny of that $5 price tag. Everybody who avoids the Fox dub because of the pan and scan issue is doing themselves a severe disservice. BUY BOTH!

I guess no one has mentioned yet that you find a Disney release of Castle of Cagliostro. While it is a Miyazaki film, it was before the time of Studio Ghibli IIRC and is likely not covered by Disney's agreement.

So I guess this is a dumb question, but the Disney version doesn't have the FOX dub? Does it have a new dub, or none at all? I understand they're two different companies, but just figured once it was dubbed once that travelled with the rights, but I guess not if FOX did it themselves.

[quote name='elwood731']So I guess this is a dumb question, but the Disney version doesn't have the FOX dub? Does it have a new dub, or none at all? I understand they're two different companies, but just figured once it was dubbed once that travelled with the rights, but I guess not if FOX did it themselves.[/QUOTE]
That's correct, Disney will be completely redubbing it. I really hope they do it justice.

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']I guess no one has mentioned yet that you find a Disney release of Castle of Cagliostro. While it is a Miyazaki film, it was before the time of Studio Ghibli IIRC and is likely not covered by Disney's agreement.[/QUOTE]
Manga Entertainment retains the rights to that, because, as you said, it's not a Studio Ghibli film. Also, Central Park Media still has Grave of the Fireflies.

[quote name='Sleepkyng']Oh. My bad.

$5, really?[/QUOTE]
Yep, super-cheap at both Best Buy and Suncoast!

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']
Also, Central Park Media still has Grave of the Fireflies.

[/QUOTE]

I've noticed that and wondered why that is, you'd have thought Disney would've somehow secured it along with Ghibli's others properties, but maybe CPM held on too tightly and they didn't want to fight them on it or are waiting for their rights to expire.

Of course, CPM's 2-disc release was pretty solid, but I wouldn't mind seeing it completely redone with Disney taking a swing at it.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']That's correct, Disney will be completely redubbing it. I really hope they do it justice.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure they will, and even if they don't, I am looking forward
to hearing it in Japanese again. But, like you, I got one of the existing
Totoro DVDs, and I strongly encourage others to do so too.

No matter what Disney does to the dub, no matter how good it
is, I'm afraid it won't feel right. The existing dub did such a good
job that anything Disney does will have a lot to live up to.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon'] Yep, super-cheap at both Best Buy and Suncoast![/QUOTE]

So there's no excuse! Get both!

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']That's correct, Disney will be completely redubbing it. I really hope they do it justice.

Manga Entertainment retains the rights to that, because, as you said, it's not a Studio Ghibli film. Also, Central Park Media still has Grave of the Fireflies.

Yep, super-cheap at both Best Buy and Suncoast![/QUOTE]

Do you really think the dub on Fox's Totoro disc is good, or are you continuing to insist that it is just so you can watch people waste $4.99 on this piece of trash?

I jumped for joy the day I saw this disc in Wal-Mart's discount DVD bin near the cash registers...there was one copy, and I latched onto it for dear life before heading for the checkout. When I got home and actually started watching, though, I felt like I'd been violated. The dub was more offensive to me than the pan & scan, and that's saying something! I got maybe halfway through the movie before I shut it off in disgust, knowing that I'd eventually find a subbed version or that Disney would release it. Disney has done a fantastic job on the Miyazaki/Ghibli stuff they've released so far...so I can only hope that they'll continue it with their version of Totoro. Maybe they just have an instinctual understanding that he's putting out better stuff than anything they've ever done.

Anyway, this is just my own opinion, but I thought the dub on Fox's version of Totoro was completely abysmal and without merit. As soon as the Disney version hits, I'll be picking it up...though I honestly hate supporting them with my cheap-ass dollars. :p

[quote name='darkwingduck13']Do you really think the dub on Fox's Totoro disc is good, or are you continuing to insist that it is just so you can watch people waste $4.99 on this piece of trash?

I jumped for joy the day I saw this disc in Wal-Mart's discount DVD bin near the cash registers...there was one copy, and I latched onto it for dear life before heading for the checkout. When I got home and actually started watching, though, I felt like I'd been violated. The dub was more offensive to me than the pan & scan, and that's saying something! I got maybe halfway through the movie before I shut it off in disgust, knowing that I'd eventually find a subbed version or that Disney would release it. Disney has done a fantastic job on the Miyazaki/Ghibli stuff they've released so far...so I can only hope that they'll continue it with their version of Totoro. Maybe they just have an instinctual understanding that he's putting out better stuff than anything they've ever done.

Anyway, this is just my own opinion, but I thought the dub on Fox's version of Totoro was completely abysmal and without merit. As soon as the Disney version hits, I'll be picking it up...though I honestly hate supporting them with my cheap-ass dollars. :p[/QUOTE]
I genuinely think that Fox's dub is fantastic, and you're the first person I've *ever* seen that thinks otherwise. Are you even human?

I thought Fox's dub was well done, but I do my best to avoid owning the same thing twice (I also make it point never to buy fullscreen unless it can't be avoided), and Disney's dub' have been pretty decent so far and will have much better video obviously. So my feeling is if you don't have Fox's release yet there's no reason to buy both, your $5 could be better spent on another DVD entierly rather than a simple dubbing track. But if you already have it you may as well hang onto it as you'll likely get about $.50 trying to sell it someplace.

[quote name='DreamSymphony']I have the Fox release of Totoro... $8 and it's yours... it's new/sealed btw[/QUOTE]
its also 5.50 at walmart.... also the SE is going to come out around the same time Howls Castle comes to dvd.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']I genuinely think that Fox's dub is fantastic, and you're the first person I've *ever* seen that thinks otherwise. Are you even human?[/QUOTE]

I was the last time I bothered to check. My wife even thought the dub was bad...I believe her quote was something like, "Did they get friends and family members of the sound guys to come in and read the stuff off of a prompter?"

Heck, I dunno...maybe we're talking about different versions, but I doubt it...I know I bought my copy at Wal-Mart for around the amount you're talking about. I'm planning on trading it in someplace before the Disney rerelease comes out. :)

The R2 release of Totoro is bilingual as well, I believe it uses the fox dub, is widescreen, and looks beautiful.. not for the cheap ass though.

I will compare dubs some day.

skip the bootlegs -- besides being illegal, a lot of the first gen legal JP releases that the bootlegs were copied from have a green shift -- this led to the initial delay of the US releases since they had to create a new digital master.

If u like Miyazaki -- buy the legal discs... and fill in the rest of the bootleggin lecture here....

bread's done
Back