Disputing a charge, I need help please.

gokou36

CAGiversary!
My cousin bought an item on ebay a month ago and the item was defective. I talked to the seller and he said to ship it back. My dumbass cousin decides to ship it back via usps and didn't get delivery confirmation. On top of that, his dumbass LOSES the receipt when I told him to keep it. I tried to dispute it for him and the freakin seller wants me to *ship* it back to him again when I already did and he also wants delivery confirmation.

So what can I do? How do I escalate this further to paypal and let them investigate? I don't see a button anywhere. I also saw that he recently received another feedback from a buyer saying he did the same shit to them. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Go to paypal transactions, and open the particular payment to the seller. At the bottom of the page, you will see a link to resolution center. Click on that, and follow the instructions.

However, since you do not seem to have any proof, it is hard to win this case. You should have opened the dispute/claim BEFORE mailing the item back, and update the paypal case log with delivery confirmation information.

[quote name='gokou36']My cousin bought an item on ebay a month ago and the item was defective. I talked to the seller and he said to ship it back. My dumbass cousin decides to ship it back via usps and didn't get delivery confirmation. On top of that, his dumbass LOSES the receipt when I told him to keep it. I tried to dispute it for him and the freakin seller wants me to *ship* it back to him again when I already did and he also wants delivery confirmation.

So what can I do? How do I escalate this further to paypal and let them investigate? I don't see a button anywhere. I also saw that he recently received another feedback from a buyer saying he did the same shit to them. Any help is appreciated, thanks.[/quote]
Odds are VERY high that you're out of luck, since what PayPal will say is to ship the item back before they'll issue a refund. Since you have no way of proving that you shipped the item, odds are pretty good that there's nothing you can do. What was the item anyway? How much did he pay for it?

It was a $50 motorola bluetooth. Well this is lame, how can I give him a delivery confirmation when I told him I already shipped it? Or should I just send him a piece of paper with DC so paypal can see it? Or should I just call the credit card company?

[quote name='wbc1228']At this point, I would just do a chargeback on the credit card.[/quote]

If your paypal account was debited using CC, and you do a chargeback - you will be in more trouble than ever. The paypal account will have -ve balance, and it would get flagged. Do not do the chargeback unless you are absolutely desperate.

[quote name='shibaji']If your paypal account was debited using CC, and you do a chargeback - you will be in more trouble than ever. The paypal account will have -ve balance, and it would get flagged. Do not do the chargeback unless you are absolutely desperate.[/QUOTE]

Hrmm I don't understand what you mean. He used a credit card not debit card and he has no money in paypal so it doesn't matter right?

[quote name='gokou36']Hrmm I don't understand what you mean. He used a credit card not debit card and he has no money in paypal so it doesn't matter right?[/quote]

Sure, unless you want to use the paypal account again, or go through the hassle of collection agency calling.

Shibaji is right, chargebacks count against you causing the amount to go into negative, meaning you owe them. OP good luck but honestly your cousin is going to end up eating this one, the receipt was worthless without the DC number anyway so that isn't such a big deal. Seller is going to keep the merchandise and the money at this rate. Honestly that piece of paper trick isn't looking like such a horrible idea right now, up to you really. But yeah for future reference open a dispute first, then ship back.

[quote name='gokou36']It was a $50 motorola bluetooth. Well this is lame, how can I give him a delivery confirmation when I told him I already shipped it? Or should I just send him a piece of paper with DC so paypal can see it? Or should I just call the credit card company?[/quote]
Honestly, if you really did already send it in and the seller is lying, I'd say open the PayPal dispute, and when PayPal says to send it in, do that. Just mail an envelope with a piece of paper in it, with delivery confirmation, and give that number to PayPal. You'll have to buy like a padded envelope or something and use that, but at least in the end you should get some money back.

I'd honestly say you're fucked. You have no chance of winning a dispute and you basically have no hassle free way to get your money back.

Sorry if that doesn't help but it's really a lose-lose situation.:whistle2:(

Well... as said above... you're SoL.

You *may* be able to request some type of detailed billing through your card company (unless he paid cash), which could help a postal inspector or that postmaster find a receipt of the particular transaction.

Another option is for you to put in a dispute and hope the seller does not respond to the paypal inquiry. I recently disputed an auction I had won because the seller sent me a broken product, then claimed they never received the item despite it sitting at their post office for 2 weeks (they had just never picked it up). I would have had some problems since I still had the item, when it was returned to me after never being picked up... but the seller never responded so it was awarded by default.

Although I don't approve of the sending back a ghost package... that may be your best option. Unfortunately, when that is sent back... and if they properly received both... the seller will probably know exactly what you're doing. Furthermore, once they state what you've done... paypal will probably look at the weight discrepency between your package and the package sent (via shipping records) and confirm what the seller alleges. Who knows, though? It may work.

That being said, it will be difficult to win any dispute. Sorry, mate.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back