Ditching AOL. E-Mail Suggestions?

The Successful Dropout

CAGiversary!
Feedback
101 (100%)
Okay, so I've finally decided to get rid of AOL. I have comcast cable and I use aol only for my email. I dunno why, I've just always thought their email service was more convenient than others that I've tried. But honestly, paying $45 a month for comcast plus the $15 for aol a month is just too much for a cheap ass. So I've just signed up to hotmail and before I make all of the appropriate changes, what are your suggestions on good e-mail services? Yahoo? Hotmail? Gmail? Etc...

[quote name='primemayhem']Gmail w/o a doubt. I can PM you an invite if you need it.

Todd[/QUOTE]

thanks, i'd appreciate the pm/invite....i've heard a lot of good things about gmail...but while you're here....how does gmail work? its provided by google, right? sorry, im stupid when it comes to this....what does it mean to get an invite? do you have to be invited to get it? thanks

Gmail offers 2.5gbs+ and is sorta in public beta. They figure if they give one person 300 invites then eventually everyone will want and have one and think themselves special to have such.

Yahoo isnt all that bad either. I have two accounts, one of which is for potential spam. I haven't gotten any spam in my good account, so it must be doing some good.

My wife has 2 yahoo accounts, a pure spam and a real one. She still gets a ton of spam in the real one. Definitely gmail, I haven't got a single spam message yet that I haven't inadvertantly brought on myself.

Gmail is good. I have a few accounts for that. I have only gotten one spam message in my inbox of the good account I have in the six months I have had gmail.

I don't know if your AOL mail allowed you to do this, but Gmail allows you to search throughout your mail. Very helpful if you want to find an old email. Simply type in one or some words that you think might be in the email and Gmail will find it for you.

You have to pay just to log on to AOL.com and use your screename? If so I'll have to talk to my dad about this.

I use Yahoo because I signed up a long time ago before gmail came along. Actually, I prefer Yahoo because I use my account to play fantasy sports (I'm waiting for their Yahoo 360 to come along too) anyway. If you want to use Yahoo's services, it's better to sign up for a Yahoo account.

For spam, I get tons of them anyway, but they all go to the Bulk Folder. Yahoo cleans them out daily, so it's not much of a problem. Space shouldn't be a problem (1 GB? who uses 1 GB?).

[quote name='Over easy']I use Yahoo because I signed up a long time ago before gmail came along. Actually, I prefer Yahoo because I use my account to play fantasy sports (I'm waiting for their Yahoo 360 to come along too) anyway. If you want to use Yahoo's services, it's better to sign up for a Yahoo account.

For spam, I get tons of them anyway, but they all go to the Bulk Folder. Yahoo cleans them out daily, so it's not much of a problem. Space shouldn't be a problem (1 GB? who uses 1 GB?).[/QUOTE]

its great for transfering and keeping large files as a way of having a makeshift harddrive.. thats what i use most of mine for.. its much easier then having a thumb drive or something like that just email it to yourself (like for work and school and you need papers/projects finished) and for pirating movies and games and the like.. jk..

I'll jump on the bandwagon and go with Gmail. Definitely great. There are some people who will tell you there are privacy issues, but I seriously doubt they're going to care what you're talking about anyway. I don't think it's such a big deal. Besides, the setup and easiness to use outdoes anything else out there right now.

I seriously have like 300 invites just sitting here. I don't even think I know that many people.

[quote name='The Successful Dropout']Okay, so I've finally decided to get rid of AOL. I have comcast cable and I use aol only for my email. I dunno why, I've just always thought their email service was more convenient than others that I've tried. But honestly, paying $45 a month for comcast plus the $15 for aol a month is just too much for a cheap ass. So I've just signed up to hotmail and before I make all of the appropriate changes, what are your suggestions on good e-mail services? Yahoo? Hotmail? Gmail? Etc...[/QUOTE]

I'm debating dropping AOL as well. I find myself attached to their email service, but don't see why I should be paying for their internet service when there's faster alternatives. I think AOL has a high speed option though, so you may be able to get rid of your comcast connection.

Also, if you haven't heard, SBC DSL Yahoo is now providing their services for $15 a month, so that may be a way for you to keep your AOL and have high speed internet access.

Uahoo is definately the best and it's better than gmail. The only thing gemail really has on top of yahoo is their threading feature but Yahoo is better for everything else and constantly improving.

Don't you get a free email thru Comcast?? I know I do. Up to five email addresses, the first one I set up when I first signed on with Comcast, and the others I can set up thru Comcast.net when ever I want.

I use my ISP's pop3 mail account they issued me and tied it together with thunder bird. I would recommed using your comcast e-mail account along with Thunderbird , other wise I think hotmail gets the job done (it's what I use as a back up).

[quote name='punqsux']every (major) free e-mail service has similar privacy policies to gmail.

gmails spam protection is AMAZING, in the year ive used it ive gotten maybe 1 or 2 spam e-mails? it catches between 20-50 per day!

theres no other choice as long as every other service sucks.[/QUOTE]

Except for the fact that every other one actually deletes what you tell them to delete. Gmail makes deletion a byzantine ordeal. That and most others if they do keep messages purge after a month or two as opposed to gmail. So no, they don't.

Note - I use gmail, because honestly I don't care about my privacy.
a) I don't do anything to be ashamed of.
b) I find the whole idea of "Big Brother" to be absurd. The government fucks up most things. I doubt they are able to keep tabs on everyone.

[quote name='Tromack']Except for the fact that every other one actually deletes what you tell them to delete. Gmail makes deletion a byzantine ordeal. That and most others if they do keep messages purge after a month or two as opposed to gmail. So no, they don't.

Note - I use gmail, because honestly I don't care about my privacy.
a) I don't do anything to be ashamed of.
b) I find the whole idea of "Big Brother" to be absurd. The government fucks up most things. I doubt they are able to keep tabs on everyone.[/QUOTE]

that's what the MAN! want's you to think.

[quote name='rcannon']Don't you get a free email thru Comcast?? I know I do. Up to five email addresses, the first one I set up when I first signed on with Comcast, and the others I can set up thru Comcast.net when ever I want.[/QUOTE]

i do, i just never used it...in fact, ive never signed in until just a few hours ago...i had to go through customer service to receive my username and password....

so now im stuck between this or gmail...im thinking this will be the way to go for now

For about $25 a year, you can get your own domain name and webhosting. If thats not your thing, then gmail all the way.

bread's done
Back