DJ Max PORTABLE 3 (PSP) $17.75 on Amazon.com

Gosha

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='n1c0']Hmm. finally got it today after they miss delivered it yesterday. Decided to update to 1.01, but when I decided to boot the the game, it starts in a black screen and shuts down the PSP. Anyone else get this problem?

PSP-3000 in OFW 5.35.[/QUOTE]
While it could be something else, I know for a fact that DJ Max games don't run if they detect an ISO folder on the memory stick. Either that or it doesn't run if it finds ISO files in said folder. Either way, anti-piracy measures.

So yeah. If you do that sort of thing at all, that would be an immediate reason for it to not work. =\

[quote name='DaedalusIkari']While it could be something else, I know for a fact that DJ Max games don't run if they detect an ISO folder on the memory stick. Either that or it doesn't run if it finds ISO files in said folder. Either way, anti-piracy measures.

So yeah. If you do that sort of thing at all, that would be an immediate reason for it to not work. =\[/QUOTE]

I probably should have mentioned this in that summary, sorry. This is a really annoying "feature" present in DJMax games since Clazziquai, I think. It affects you even if you aren't a pirate (I'm a homebrew enthusiast, and I do appreciate the ability to rip my UMDs to my memory stick, but I would never steal games).

However, this feature is easy to get around, provided you're running off the UMD. Just remove the memory card, wait for the game to boot, and then reinsert it. Not THAT big of a pain, considering you probably wont be ripping these games because of their size. I bet the real pirates don't have to worry about this, they probably have a cracked version. *shakes fist at pointless DRM*

I sent them an email asking about the weird pricing behavior, if anyone else is curious.

What I sent:

Hey,

I bought this game about a week ago, at what I thought was an ok price. Ever since then, I've noticed that the price on the game's page has been constantly reduced at a rate of what seems like a few cents per hour. Over the past week, that's added up to more than $5, or 20% off my original order price, and it's showing no signs of slowing down.

Now, I'm not trying to complain about price reductions exactly (that's why I shop on Amazon in the first place), but this is pushing it; at this point I think I could physically return the one I bought a week ago, buy a new one, and SAVE money! What's going on here?

Should I make a habit of not buying anything until I've monitored the page for a few weeks to make sure the price isn't slipping? If I notice the price IS slipping, Like heck I'm gonna buy it until it stabilizes. No matter how I look at it, I'm not feeling encouraged to buy more stuff on your site. :(

To be clear, I'm not intending to return my game for the time being. I like Amazon, and I like shopping here. I'm just a little irked by this pricing development, and am maybe hoping for a reasonable explanation as to why this is happening. Thanks.

What I got:

Hello,

I'm sure it's disappointing to see the lower price on the "DJ Max Portable 3" you recently purchased. Our prices regularly change, and the price you paid when your order shipped on Jan 20, 2011 was the lowest price we were able to offer at the time.

We consistently offer competitive prices on everything we carry because we know low prices are very important to our customers. You can visit our pricing policies in our Help pages to read more:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=468502

Although prices fluctuate, our service does not. I hope you'll give us another opportunity to serve you in the future.

Thank you for your recent inquiry. Did I solve your problem?

If yes, please click here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/survey...

If no, please click here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/survey...

Best regards,

Pavanaja R
Amazon.com
Your feedback is helping us build Earth's Most Customer-Centric Company.
http://www.amazon.com/your-account

So there you go. Straight from Amazon, "lalala plz buy more stuff." Oh well.

This is a good deal on a limited run game, so I have no regrets. But you gotta wonder, how many people here have passed this great deal up because no matter what price they buy at, they know that tomorrow it'll be cheaper?

[quote name='dallow']This is the first time I've seen a game with this pricing behavior.[/QUOTE]

Are you kidding? This is part of Amazon's game deals section which has been around for at least the last 2 years. There are a couple hundred items in the game deals section at any given time. This just happens to be one and will be until they either sell out or hit the quantity they wished to sell at the reduced price at which time the price will go back up. Believe it or not, the game deals section was part of the reason they got rid of the standard post sale price drop guarantee a year and a half ago. People were repeatedly contacting Amazon to get price differences of under a dollar each time the game price dropped.

[quote name='bojay1997']Are you kidding? This is part of Amazon's game deals section which has been around for at least the last 2 years. There are a couple hundred items in the game deals section at any given time. This just happens to be one and will be until they either sell out or hit the quantity they wished to sell at the reduced price at which time the price will go back up. Believe it or not, the game deals section was part of the reason they got rid of the standard post sale price drop guarantee a year and a half ago. People were repeatedly contacting Amazon to get price differences of under a dollar each time the game price dropped.[/QUOTE]I know Amazon pretty well and I monitor a lot of game's prices with the Price Drop plug-in on Firefox.

This the only only game I've ever seen with daily drops of 15-20 cents. It's been this way since like December. It's been like this since it's original price of $40.xx to it's current price of $18.xx. A very slow and gradual fall.

I know game prices fluctuate, but this particular pattern is very very odd.

[quote name='dallow']I know Amazon pretty well and I monitor a lot of game's prices with the Price Drop plug-in on Firefox.

This the only only game I've ever seen with daily drops of 15-20 cents. It's been this way since like December. It's been like this since it's original price of $40.xx to it's current price of $18.xx. A very slow and gradual fall.

I know game prices fluctuate, but this particular pattern is very very odd.[/QUOTE]

Actually, if you have no idea how the game deals work, you don't know Amazon at all. Go to the video games section and click on "game deals" on the left side. A whole bunch of games which all drop this same way will pop up. This is Amazon's version of a clearance section. Games get added and removed from time to time. DJ Max Portable 3 just happens to be one of those clearance games right now and will remain so until they run out or they sell however many they have allocated to clearance. Each day at a little after 11:00 a.m. PST, the prices drop. You have to be careful about waiting too long because Amazon has a tendency to yank games out of the clearance section quickly and jack the price all the way back to MSRP.

I just got mine in last night and popped it in today (spent 30 minutes updating my PSP and then the game... lol updates).

My. God.

This makes Fever look like a flash game from 2002. The presentation is phenomenal! Adding in having 2 "crew members", or portaits, to give you buffs is awesome. They took out the "auto-correct feature", feature used loosely here, and the game seems easier, but still so rewarding.

I'm using the Juggernaut character and it does auto-activate on the FEVER gauge and I got a x7(!) Fever mode on a 4T song! Unheard of in Fever!

This version is amazing. Feels very much more polished and any fan of Fever should get it. I can't speak about comparisons to the Korean releases as I do not own any of them.

[quote name='ZerotypeX']Very weird, it was $18.xx during the morning and now its $17.75[/QUOTE]

its literally dropping 10-50 cents every day for some reason

[quote name='TheKbob']I just got mine in last night and popped it in today (spent 30 minutes updating my PSP and then the game... lol updates).

My. God.

This makes Fever look like a flash game from 2002. The presentation is phenomenal! Adding in having 2 "crew members", or portaits, to give you buffs is awesome. They took out the "auto-correct feature", feature used loosely here, and the game seems easier, but still so rewarding.

I'm using the Juggernaut character and it does auto-activate on the FEVER gauge and I got a x7(!) Fever mode on a 4T song! Unheard of in Fever!

This version is amazing. Feels very much more polished and any fan of Fever should get it. I can't speak about comparisons to the Korean releases as I do not own any of them.[/QUOTE]

Nice points! Don't forget to do Data Install for this game; it really zips up the load times!

I own all the DJMP games, including DJ Max Trilogy for the PC. If anyone likes Fever or DJMP3 I heartily recommend picking up the other games in the series, too. If anything, pick up the DJ Max Portable Black Square and Clazziquai Edition combo pack from Play-Asia:

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-bj-49-en-70-3nxv.html

Individually they're quite expensive but this two pack is literally two-for-one! Both Link Disc with each other, unlocking all sorts of goodies and songs, and you can play CE songs using Black Square's framework this way, too. That's how I unlocked even more songs if I recall. Check out the GameFAQs pages for these games for their features, otherwise I could go on forever :)

I'll look into the imports someday, I imagine. I have before but didn't want to spend that much money.

I did a data install, it was part of that 30 minute period of letting my PSP do nothing but process stuff. Updated the firmware (twice), updated the game, and installed it. Wish Fever had an install... and the production values of DJMP3 because Fever has some of my fave songs.

[quote name='bojay1997']Actually, if you have no idea how the game deals work, you don't know Amazon at all. Go to the video games section and click on "game deals" on the left side. A whole bunch of games which all drop this same way will pop up. This is Amazon's version of a clearance section. Games get added and removed from time to time. DJ Max Portable 3 just happens to be one of those clearance games right now and will remain so until they run out or they sell however many they have allocated to clearance. Each day at a little after 11:00 a.m. PST, the prices drop. You have to be careful about waiting too long because Amazon has a tendency to yank games out of the clearance section quickly and jack the price all the way back to MSRP.[/QUOTE]
I took a look am an just not seeing what you're seeing I'm afraid. We'll have to agree to disagree on this.

I examined a few games and could not find the same kind of drop pattern, if you know of one specifically though, I'd love to see it as it's kind of weird hobby of mine to examine retailer prices.

Here's the graph for DJ Max Portable 3
http://camelcamelcamel.com/DJ-Max-Portable-3-Sony-PSP/product/B0040GBBK8

[quote name='dallow']I took a look am an just not seeing what you're seeing I'm afraid. We'll have to agree to disagree on this.

I examined a few games and could not find the same kind of drop pattern, if you know of one specifically though, I'd love to see it as it's kind of weird hobby of mine to examine retailer prices.

Here's the graph for DJ Max Portable 3
http://camelcamelcamel.com/DJ-Max-Portable-3-Sony-PSP/product/B0040GBBK8[/QUOTE]

Not sure why I would agree to disagree or why you need a graph. This isn't a debate. There is a clearance section and every game in it drops a few percent per day. Here is the direct link to everything that drops every day around 11:00 a.m. PST. Amazon has maintained this game drop clearance section for several years.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref...09566&sort=bestselling&ie=UTF8&qid=1296439032

As I said, once games either sell out or Amazon sells the quantity that have allotted for clearance, the price goes back up. No need for graphs or anything else.

[quote name='TheKbob']I just got mine in last night and popped it in today (spent 30 minutes updating my PSP and then the game... lol updates).

My. God.

This version is amazing. Feels very much more polished and any fan of Fever should get it. I can't speak about comparisons to the Korean releases as I do not own any of them.[/QUOTE]

why did it take 30 mins to update the PSP... tempted to buy this but just dont know

also is DJ Max Fever worth pickin up as well

if you could only get one what would you get ....

[quote name='bojay1997']Not sure why I would agree to disagree or why you need a graph. This isn't a debate. There is a clearance section and every game in it drops a few percent per day. Here is the direct link to everything that drops every day around 11:00 a.m. PST. Amazon has maintained this game drop clearance section for several years.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr_ex_n_1?rh=n%3A468642%2Cn%3A%2144263011%2Cn%3A409566%2Cp_n_availability%3A1238047011%2Cp_6%3AATVPDKIKX0DER&bbn=409566&sort=bestselling&ie=UTF8&qid=1296439032

As I said, once games either sell out or Amazon sells the quantity that have allotted for clearance, the price goes back up. No need for graphs or anything else.[/QUOTE]I just checked everything from the first page, game and non-game, none of the them drop the way I've seen with this game.

Some drop weekly, and then go up slightly.
Some on that list haven't even dropped since earlier this month.....

[quote name='dallow']I just checked everything from the first page, game and non-game, none of the them drop the way I've seen with this game.

Some drop weekly, and then go up slightly.
Some on that list haven't even dropped since earlier this month.....[/QUOTE]

I have no idea what you are using as your tracking solution, but I have had about a dozen of the games from the "game deals" list in my wish list for over three weeks now and every day like clockwork at right around 11:00 a.m. they drop between 3-5%. That's how game deals at Amazon in the clearance section have always worked. You can also check the price tracker on this site and it's the games that drop a few percentage each day that are in this section. I have no idea why you are arguing this issue. I know for a fact this is happening and you are just confusing things. I will concede that there are some items that get dumped into the game deals list that have just had temporary price drops. Perhaps that is what you are tracking and why you are getting confused. I'm talking about the vast majority of the clearance games, things like Saw II and Blood Drive on the 360 and many of the Wii and DS games which have consistently dropped every day. The fact that you didn't know about the game deals section and yet claim to be an experienced Amazon user and price tracker is pretty shocking to me.

You can track price history very easily at camelcamelcamel.com, I also have another plug-in I like to use.

I kept looking at a few games that and found one other with the same pattern as this one, it was Gitarooman Lives for PSP which did the daily drop thing of a few cents each day back in November, but this month it's only had 2 drops.
rJDXu.png

So it is happening with some games apparently (haven't found another current one), but not with the majority of items in the "game deals" section as you stated.

[quote name='dallow']You can track price history very easily at camelcamelcamel.com, I also have another plug-in I like to use.

I kept looking at a few games that and found one other with the same pattern as this one, it was Gitarooman Lives for PSP which did the daily drop thing of a few cents each day back in November, but this month it's only had 2 drops.
rJDXu.png

So it is happening with some games apparently (haven't found another current one), but not with the majority of items in the "game deals" section as you stated.[/QUOTE]

Blood Drive and SAW II for the 360 as well the vast majority of the PSP and DS games in the game deals area have been going through the same drop pattern. I check every single day and have done so for weeks. Your tracking solution is either not working properly or there is some operator error which is what I suspect is going on given your refusal to concede the point. In any event, if people want to find clearance games on Amazon that drop pretty consistently, they would be advised to use the game deals section and there is no need for you and your friend to keep contacting Amazon or anyone else for an explanation of the drops. I would advise people to be cautious as Amazon very frequently will abruptly stop the drops and move games all the way back up to MSRP and especially on a game like this where inventory may be limited, it is not likely to go back on clearance for a very long time if ever.

[quote name='bojay1997']Blood Drive and SAW II for the 360 as well the vast majority of the PSP and DS games in the game deals area have been going through the same drop pattern. I check every single day and have done so for weeks. Your tracking solution is either not working properly or there is some operator error which is what I suspect is going on given your refusal to concede the point. In any event, if people want to find clearance games on Amazon that drop pretty consistently, they would be advised to use the game deals section and there is no need for you and your friend to keep contacting Amazon or anyone else for an explanation of the drops. I would advise people to be cautious as Amazon very frequently will abruptly stop the drops and move games all the way back up to MSRP and especially on a game like this where inventory may be limited, it is not likely to go back on clearance for a very long time if ever.[/QUOTE]
I never contact Amazon, that was just some guy in the thread as I already know the "after the fact" price matching has been dead for a while now. It used to be my best friend.

Thanks for giving me a couple titles to specifically look up though.

Here's Blood Drive's history:
nbCxf.png
It says it's dropped all month, but about once every week so far. Same goes for Saw II.
I'll add it to my daily watch and see if it falls every day. Perhaps your right and there's some weird error with the capture of the history data. It's just that for DJ Max, it does show the daily drops in the graph.

Anyway, sorry to go so off topic in this thread and I'm honestly not trying to be confrontational about it.
There isn't that much excitement for this game anyway.
Bumping the topic at least gives it a chance for a few more potential sales.

[quote name='dallow']I never contact Amazon, that was just some guy in the thread as I already know the "after the fact" price matching has been dead for a while now. It used to be my best friend.

Thanks for giving me a couple titles to specifically look up though.

Here's Blood Drive's history:
nbCxf.png
It says it's dropped all month, but about once every week so far. Same goes for Saw II.
I'll add it to my daily watch and see if it falls every day. Perhaps your right and there's some weird error with the capture of the history data. It's just that for DJ Max, it does show the daily drops in the graph.

Anyway, sorry to go so off topic in this thread and I'm honestly not trying to be confrontational about it.
There isn't that much excitement for this game anyway.
Bumping the topic at least gives it a chance for a few more potential sales.[/QUOTE]

Ok, that proves 100% conclusively that the site you are using to track is completely inaccurate. I have been watching both Saw II and Blood Drive specifically because I wanted them and I finally bought them today. I added both to my wish list two weeks ago and every day at just after 11:00 a.m. like clockwork I checked my wish list and 100% consistently every day for the past two weeks, they have dropped a few percent per day at exactly that time. The actual cash price drop has been something like 45-50 cents per day as they both started out at just under $30 and finally hit just over $21-$22 each today at 11:00 a.m. which is when I pulled the trigger. I would suggest you use another tracking site. Heck, the price tracker here has been pretty accurate on those two games as each day it shows the percentage drop.

I really hope the price discrepancy between PSN and retail thing gets fixed with the NGP. This game is awesome though. In for one I can't play on my Go.

bread's done
Back