DJ Max Portable hitting stateside Nov. 11

I very well may ask for this for Xmas from my girlfriend. I watched a few videos and it looks really fun. Like Beats + Rock Band/Guitar Hero combined.

[quote name='JEKKI']well it's not piracy of Black Square that supposedly caused this to happen,

it was piracy of Clazziquai Edition which just came out today.

Regardless hopefully this is fake... I did not wanna spend more cash this month but for DJ Max I didnt even hafta think about not dropping $50 like that[/quote]
I don't think they would be able to tell how piracy has affected sales if it just came out.

If it is canceled, it's for entirely different reasons. But hopefully it's not since I was waiting for Black Square.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the japanese version (because I loved Ouendan so much and was in the music mood) and it is impossible.

4 buttons are great. I am lost after 4, I don't think there is enough note differentiation. It all looks the same to me. I can beat Ouendan on the hardest setting without missing a note (not exactly difficult) and I'm not bad at Guitar Hero, but this is sadistic.

I really wish I could just make the whole thing easier to enjoy the songs. :\

EDIT: Looking at your avatar, Yukine...VJ kinda looks like proto man. :p

are you familiar with playing Beatmania?? If not then that could be why you have a hard time, and maybe the style of game jus isnt for you.

and the note differentiation is actually really easy considering each hand handles half the notes... it's not like beatmania where both your hands are over all the buttons, you don't use your right fingers to hit a note on the left half of the screen

but if you can do 4 buttons then that should be enough to enjoy the songs???

I can do up to 6-button mode all the way to the level 11 songs on both DJ Max games, the only one I can never pass is a the level 10 6-Button mode Chain Of Gravity Song, there's a certain section where I get lost in the pattern and i have no idea how to get the rhythm to pass that.

What I do love though, is when I really get into the game, all of a sudden the notes feel like they're moving slower and I just nail every note, like I enter slow-mo.

8 button kills me around the level 8 spot, sometimes I don't notice the notes within the red notes, or I'll just lose my rhythm in a instant and can't recover.

Dj max Clazziquai is really great, however i didnt get my wall scroll yet T__T been a week.

anyway, only thing to say is it didnt satisfy me since, Clazzi editon really IS meant for the casual gamer, or new comers.

HD mode is only available to 4B and 4BFX modes, and no MX modes for any songs.
dont get me wrong, im totally happy i got the umd anyway, a collectable to me and im really excited for this game to get some recognition in the USA through djmaxfever (FINALLY!!! \\:D/)

Black square will have HD and MX modes for all modes, more songs, and 8B comes back into play.

im very very anxious for black square, minus about 3-5 songs theres no big challenge in Clazziquai, but it was great to hear the new songs and experience the new modes.

a couple of things to note..
-maybe it was me, but it was real bad fps lag, (especially in network battles)! make sure you put your "CPU CLOCK GAME" to 333/166 (in the recovery menu or pressing select in the home screen)
-quite sure about this, if u pause the game during a song, after u resume the note chart will be slightly off from the rest of the music. so, try not to pause to take a break or to change speed. ( you are able to change speed in fever now! )

uhm, happy DJing!

-DJ.Scrub

there's a link option in Clazziquai mode btw...

or rather... I think there's a link option, I think I saw it on sum promotional video.

similar to the DJMP2 -> DJMP1 link, you put Black Square into your PSP, switch to Clazziquai, and then you unlock hard versions of all the songs.

alrite I got my copy today! I had 10% battery so I jus played a bit til my PSP drained...

You got Arcade Mode which is your typical choose how many buttons & play songs, then you got Club Mode which is where u progress by beating stages.

I think Arcade Mode starts empty... I'm not sure coz I began with Club Mode but when I entered Arcade I only had 6 songs so I assume u unlock all songs by playing them in Club Mode.

So far all the stages Ive played in Club Mode are 2 buttons, so yah the game is pretty easy for new people.

umm... other than that the graphical presentation is downright fantastic as expected and the music so far is typical DJ Max quality... I havent ran into anything that I've quite grown attached to yet but we'll see as we progress.

also the game's intro is pretty dope too, but the only youtube version rite now is out of sync and has a huge watermark so I wont post it...

This has probably been answered already, but does anyone know what the price is going to be this game?

I looked on Gamestop recently, hoping for some sort of preorder bonus, but did not see anything. Thanks ahead.

[quote name='JEKKI']but if you can do 4 buttons then that should be enough to enjoy the songs???[/QUOTE]...you can unlock all of the songs with 4 buttons? Am I playing the wrong mode? :(

gaf and siliconera (who both got their info from ruliweb) are abuzz with Black Square edition news!

it's not cancelled! the the limited edition version of it is gonna be VICIOUS!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=333843&page=2

[quote name='xcomp']Contents of the DJMP Black Square Limited Edition revealed on Ruliweb with new trailer.

http://ruliweb.empas.com/data/rulinews/read.htm?num=16637

Dubbed "Quattra" the black cube shaped box contains:

• Game with limited edition box art.
  • Premium limited edition case.
  • 4 disc OST.
  • Illusion (DJ Max Metro Project Visualization Book).
  • Son of Sun Special Gift.
  • Set of Portable Speakers BS24.
  • A 2009 Pentavision New Year's Card.
[/QUOTE]

also, Siliconera reports that the arcade game, DJ Max Technika, is live and in effect!

http://www.siliconera.com/2008/12/03/first-touch-of-dj-max-technika/

they got one at UCLA of all places, I think I'ma go and check itout tomorrow. I'll bring back pics!

I wouldn't mind if they worked over that model's face a little more because right now she's looking pretty creepy. But wow, that set looks deluxe. How much is all that going to cost?

Downloading the song samples now.

yah, they had Technika at UCLA

vg78dl.jpg

dmzc6x.jpg

v6jbm9.jpg

so the bad part tho is... I didnt get to play :cry:

the game is touchscreen based and sum nerd doods were playing but apparently the touchscreen stopped working and the guy failed his song.

so one of the doods thought it would be a good idea to unplug the machine and plug it back in... idiot.

it's saturday on a college campus, so aint nobody working to fix it or come turn it on properly...

so I jus ended up having to leave... sadness

So...I'm looking to get into DJ Max Portable. Is Play Asia my only option? I wish I had seen this game earlier so I could have got the special editions for the second game. >_

I'm getting the second one for christmas and I pre-ordered that special edition above already. I know I probably won't be able to touch Black Square for awhile, but it's better than not being able to get the special edition when I do come around.

I was kinda surprised when I saw the $40 shipping, but it kind of makes sense based upon what it is and where it is coming from. I just hope it doesn't get pulverized by my dumbass mailman.

I've barely scratched Clazziquai... there's one song I cant beat and I dont wanna progress into further stages until I beat that stage...

but I cant beat it!! >_< I suck now lol.

and then this came today:

34djskw.jpg

2v17omc.jpg

k9hw77.jpg

but I gotta wait until the sunlight comes back to take more pics...

[quote name='Antic']My black square box still hasn't arrived yet. I've been playing through Portable 2 though[/quote]

hmm i got mine the day after it left HK.

xeno man! I got Yellow Ranger.

I got pics! I'ma post them in the CAG blog soon... check it out!

-EDIT-

word.

2yobexv.jpg

xfnvc3.jpg

2ug1ac0.jpg

w9bqkk.jpg

nh0mb.jpg

sum dood on GAF already assembled the speakers... they look like theyre made outta cardboard lol

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='JEKKI']xeno man! I got Yellow Ranger.

I got pics! I'ma post them in the CAG blog soon... check it out!

-EDIT-

word.

2yobexv.jpg

xfnvc3.jpg

2ug1ac0.jpg

w9bqkk.jpg

nh0mb.jpg

sum dood on GAF already assembled the speakers... they look like theyre made outta cardboard lol[/quote]

yea i got the yellow ranger also =/ oh well its a fun game, and the pc version is fucken addicting also.

While I appreciate that this is portable and on the PSP can we please get an Ez2 edition of DJ Max? Or have them work out some partnership? I REALLY want a home version of Ez2DJ or at least a Hip-Hop/R&B version. I would love to be able to play "Rhythm", "Stay", "We Luv Music", "Southwest Cadillac", etc. on a home version.

I got mine. The thing is that part of the box is damaged a little. Fedex was horrible too and didn't even bother to put it in a bag even though it was snowing. Thank god it never got past the cardboard box. Would Play asia do anything about the box being damaged a little if I shot them an e-mail?

Can anyone help me with the code redemption inserts that come with Clazziquai? I was wondering if there's a way to redeem them if I live in the U.S., or what they are even for?

I wish I had the limited edition. My brother was not able to pick it up for me when he was in Hong Kong. He was told it was sold out rather quickly. So now, I just got the regular Black Square edition.

I'll spend the money on the US limited edition if they do decide to go that route.

Does anyone have a song list for this yet?

I'm planning to import Black Square soon but may get this also if it has that online play via PS3.

[quote name='metaly']Does anyone have a song list for this yet?

I'm planning to import Black Square soon but may get this also if it has that online play via PS3.[/quote]

I would love to see a songlist.

Ugh. Given that there are no pre-order bonuses and the current state of the PSP, I'm not sure that this will be a day 1 purchase for me.

I just can't see this game staying at $40 for very long and DJ Max 2 is still kicking my butt on 4 button mode...:)

This seems to be the general DJ Max thread, so I guess I'll post here.

I popped in Clazziquai yesterday and while I have a pretty good hold on 4 button, 5 button just kicks my ass, and I need to beat some 5 and 6 button songs to continue the club mode. Kind of sucks. :[

yah honestly, there's a lot of stuff in CE that I cant beat... and it's supposed to be the easy version of the game lol

What are people's favorite songs/modes/difficulties/whatever from DJMP 1&2? I usually do 6B, but 5B is cool too because that shared middle note allows for some fun patterns.

Song-wise, Plastic Method and Blythe are pretty cool. I'm glad they toned down Blythe in DJMP2 so I can actually finish it without just mashing on everything. :oops: In 1, I liked Minimal Life a lot but thanks to the horrible unlock system I had to jump through hoops to play it.

[quote name='metaly']What are people's favorite songs/modes/difficulties/whatever from DJMP 1&2? I usually do 6B, but 5B is cool too because that shared middle note allows for some fun patterns.

Song-wise, Plastic Method and Blythe are pretty cool. I'm glad they toned down Blythe in DJMP2 so I can actually finish it without just mashing on everything. :oops: In 1, I liked Minimal Life a lot but thanks to the horrible unlock system I had to jump through hoops to play it.[/quote]

I think 6B is generally more fun than 8B, but I agree there are some really fun 5B patterns. I like a lot of songs, but off the top of my head, Blythe, Oblivion, and Cherokee are great in DJMP2. After that, there are too many songs I like to list.

There are only a handful of songs I can't stand, with Brain Storm obviously being the worst. In fact, I hesitate to even call that a song.

Seems like a pretty solid list, although it's missing a lot of my top favorites from DJMP1. Where's Masai??

It's a slow day at work so here's a list of the songs that appear to be missing:
DJMP1
ASTRO FIGHT
Bright Dream
Can We Talk
Chrono Breakers
Dreadnought
Eternal Memory
Fever GJ
Funky Chups
Futurism
Lemonade
Light House
MASAI
Minimal Life
Oblivion ~Rockin' Night Style~
One the Love
Para Q
Red
Revenge
Road of Death
SIN ~THE LAST SCENE~
Sunny Side ~deepn' soul Mix~
Temptation
Triple ZOE
Ya! Party!

DJMP2
A Lie
Another Day
Brave it Out
Chain of Gravity
Dream of You
Fentanest
Get Out
Hello Pinky
Ikarus
Lost n' found
Memoirs
Midnight Blood
Minus 3
My Alias
Nano Risk
Negative Nature
Nightmare
Phantom of Sky
Right Now
Rocka-a-doodle-doo
Rolling on the Duck
Seoleim
Showtime
Smoky Quartz
Stalker
Yellowberry (AJ Mix)

Eternal Memory, Funky Chups, Lemonade, Minimal Life... I guess there's more Link Disc in my future.

Booo, no Ikarus or Stalker? Oh well, at least they have all my other favorites. Also it's not like I don't own the other games, and can't play them when I want.

I'm mourning right now, I don't have a job so I couldn't purchase all the DJ Max SE's, LE's, and platinum stuff, I wanted it all :'(

HELP. Black Square showed up today and I am having some serious buyer's remorse. I am not really impressed with the songs so far composition-wise, although the production is really excellent this time around. For now, I won't let it bother me since I still have a ton to unlock and it took a while for the DJMP1/2 songs to grow on me.

Here is the serious problem, though: Sometimes I'll hit (or miss) one of the analog notes and everything but the background track will stop. The keys will still light up when I press buttons but there won't be the associated sound. This is MADDENING and ruins the game. Does this happen to anyone else?

Also my lifebar looks like a stack of pixelated static, but that's a minor issue compared to the track dropping thing. Maybe a different gear will fix it.

I'm really enjoying the new systems (mostly the UI) so far. I love having the combo and fever off to the side since, especially in Black Square, they take up a ton of space over the gear. Also I like being able to turn fever off if I want to. Looking forward to trying out link disc/DJMF to try to get 7X fever on my old favorites!

Also this guy rules: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idftnFr2mJY

[quote name='metaly']Here is the serious problem, though: Sometimes I'll hit (or miss) one of the analog notes and everything but the background track will stop. The keys will still light up when I press buttons but there won't be the associated sound. This is MADDENING and ruins the game. Does this happen to anyone else?[/QUOTE]

That's a new "feature" of Black Square, certain notes that are special in that if you miss them, the background music stops until you hit another special note. I hear that it is one of the Black Square things that is making the transition to Fever.

bread's done
Back