dj max (PSP) $12.90 @play asia

A little more specifically, it's DJ Max Portable Clazziquai Edition.

This is by far and above my favorite DJ Max game. Much better than DJ Max 3.

Very good price.

This is a great price. I would like to get the CE / BS double set for collection purposes but I don't think I would play Black Square. It's just too damn hard!

WOW.

Folks, jump on this NOW. Clazziquai Edition is absolutely wonderful and this is the cheapest I've seen for a new copy of one of these games ever. The music is great and the presentation my personal favorite out of all the DJMP games. It's also great for people new to the series to jump into since the default patterns are pretty friendly. The Club/Mission mode is also a lot of fun.

There is also an official patch for the game that is designated "Season 2". You can find instructions on how to install it here. It adds some new songs and extra items, adds new challenges to the Club/Mission mode and also boosts the difficulty of many of the songs in the game. There are a few that get boosted in difficulty a bit too much (Eternity aka Forever) but the vast majority end up having really terrific pattern upgrades. Just make sure to have Data Install "on" and you're set!

If you have DJMP1, DJPM2 or Black Square you can also use the Link Disc feature to unlock even more stuff in this game.

I can't speak more highly of this game. There are some things I wish it had included (like the alternate pattern choices in other DJMP games) but the package as a whole is already so good that I don't miss it much. Just... buy the game, folks :)

[quote name='vodkablast']This is a great price. I would like to get the CE / BS double set for collection purposes but I don't think I would play Black Square. It's just too damn hard![/QUOTE]

I used to think that but after a while I got really good at it (and I have terrible rhythm and timing for most games in general). The songs at the tail end of the overall song list are just way, way too hard for me but in general I held my own very well. Just make sure to wear good earphones (or in ear monitors like the kind that plug into your ears, not the iPod style buds) or headphones so that you can hear the music better. That helped me immensely when I started off with Fever.

This looks interesting but i never player any of these games. Would a newbie like me be good to start of on this version?

Yes. This game is obviously the easiest in the series but I think it also has a good difficulty curve. It has most of the features of the newer games except for 8 button mode, but if you get that good you might want to get Black Square. If you want to try the game play out, gamestop still sells DJ Max Fever (for $12 I think). Fever is a compilation of the first two games and also starts out easy.

[quote name='NeoGutsman']WOW.

Folks, jump on this NOW. Clazziquai Edition is absolutely wonderful and this is the cheapest I've seen for a new copy of one of these games ever. The music is great and the presentation my personal favorite out of all the DJMP games. It's also great for people new to the series to jump into since the default patterns are pretty friendly. The Club/Mission mode is also a lot of fun.

There is also an official patch for the game that is designated "Season 2". You can find instructions on how to install it here. It adds some new songs and extra items, adds new challenges to the Club/Mission mode and also boosts the difficulty of many of the songs in the game. There are a few that get boosted in difficulty a bit too much (Eternity aka Forever) but the vast majority end up having really terrific pattern upgrades. Just make sure to have Data Install "on" and you're set!

If you have DJMP1, DJPM2 or Black Square you can also use the Link Disc feature to unlock even more stuff in this game.

I can't speak more highly of this game. There are some things I wish it had included (like the alternate pattern choices in other DJMP games) but the package as a whole is already so good that I don't miss it much. Just... buy the game, folks :)[/QUOTE]

Just bought it since I've heard good things about it. I have DJMP3 and even though I am absolutely terrible at it, I am somewhat motivated to try to get better at it.

And thanks for the patch information...not sure I would have found that otherwise.

[quote name='DarkonJohn']Just bought it since I've heard good things about it. I have DJMP3 and even though I am absolutely terrible at it, I am somewhat motivated to try to get better at it.

And thanks for the patch information...not sure I would have found that otherwise.[/QUOTE]

Not a problem, friend. I actually stumbled upon that information years ago and I'd hate for anyone to miss out on the extra stuff for simply not knowing (how many PSP games do you know of that have patches? :D).

One major tip I have for you and anyone else fairly new to the series is to absolutely skip 5B (5 Button) mode if the game offers it. That mode lines up kind of weird on the controller since the R button on the D-pad and Square button both act as the middle track. You'd think it would make things easier, but I've found that it honestly doesn't if you're new to it. Now that I've played for a few years it's not so bad, but I still tend to go for the other modes.

As for DJMP3, make sure to update it to the latest version (available immediately for the UMD version, later this month for PSN version). If you have the UMD, simply make sure your wireless switch is on, highlight the game in the XMB, press Triangle and select Update. If you have the US version (like me) the game will update to version 1.01, or 1.02 for the Korean version. This fixes a lot of things, mainly a playcount glitch, as well as upping the experience you get from Arcade and Mission modes. DJMP3's initial release was/is notorious for being painfully stingy with giving out experience. Just make sure to equip characters you've unlocked who give EXP boosts.

I could go on (I love the series as you can tell), so feel free to PM me if you have any questions :) I might not have all the answers, but it's better than wading through hundreds of Bemanistyle.com posts!

[quote name='n1c0']Want to get this (LOVE LOVE LOVE Clazziquai), but it seems like it may actually be cheaper just to get the Clazziquai + Black Square edition. http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-bj-49-en-70-30p4.html[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's still totally worth the money. This deal is great for those who already have BS in my opinion; otherwise, I just tell people to get the bundle since they'll eventually want both :)

I have played fever and own DJMP3 (thanks NeoGutsman for the update hints).

What's the cheapest for the Clazziquai + Black Square edition? It's 45 at play-aisa! Any chance to get that package for $30? Should I wait for the pair price to drop or just get the Clazz special now?

[quote name='NeoGutsman']Yeah, that's still totally worth the money. This deal is great for those who already have BS in my opinion; otherwise, I just tell people to get the bundle since they'll eventually want both :)[/QUOTE]

Hmmmm...you got me looking at the bundle, but it's a big jump from CE $12.90 + $3.90 ($16.80 total) to the bundle for $44.90 + $9.40 ($55.30). I'll stick with CE and hope I don't regret it later ;) (at least not too much).

[quote name='Asgardian']I have played fever and own DJMP3 (thanks NeoGutsman for the update hints).

What's the cheapest for the Clazziquai + Black Square edition? It's 45 at play-aisa! Any chance to get that package for $30? Should I wait for the pair price to drop or just get the Clazz special now?[/QUOTE]

That's about as cheap as I've ever seen it. Both games individually were running ~$50+ each some time ago, so this bundle is quite a steal.

If you're unsure about Black Square, or are being a CAG (in a good way :D), then by all means snap up Clazziquai Edition first. This is a rad deal and you'll still get a monumental amount of gameplay out of it alone. Have fun, and let me know if you have any questions. :D

[quote name='DarkonJohn']Hmmmm...you got me looking at the bundle, but it's a big jump from CE $12.90 + $3.90 ($16.80 total) to the bundle for $44.90 + $9.40 ($55.30). I'll stick with CE and hope I don't regret it later ;) (at least not too much).[/QUOTE]

Hey, that's a wise choice, DarkonJohn! :) There's still a ton of fun to be had with CE alone, so enjoy it with gusto, friend! :)

Oh, and one thing I forgot to mention was that I played through the game without the patch first (had Data Install on of course - load times were very nice), then I applied the patch after getting as far as I could in Club Mode (almost beat everything). This let me unlock most of the stuff first since the patch upped the challenges if I remember correctly. After the patch I went back to unlock a few new songs that were unlocked (either new ones or revised ones - I forget).

[quote name='Asgardian']Brought it. I'm sure I'd love it.

Thanks NeoGutsman, thanks OP![/QUOTE]

Yes, thanks for the heads-up on the deal, JimmyJim! Feel free to PM me if any of you have questions about the series. Like I said, I don't know everything but I'm happy to help!

Well, figures I wasn't saving much buy ordering CE + BS as opposed to buying individually (like a buck fifty at most), so went ahead to order CE first.

Was wondering, does Clazziquai have that pesky ISO folder scanning thing? Since I always have to do the remove memory trick for DJMP3 that I think stops the data install from being loaded on start up.

I bought this earlier today I came here looking to see if anyone had posted this fantastic deal. Good job op! Spread the DJMax love!!

[quote name='NeoGutsman']Yeah, that's still totally worth the money. This deal is great for those who already have BS in my opinion; otherwise, I just tell people to get the bundle since they'll eventually want both :)[/QUOTE]

Still looking at the bundle that includes BS or BS separate in addition to this (since I already placed my order for CE). One question...from everything I'm reading, it sounds like BS is quite a bit more difficult than CE. Since I generally suck at these types of games (doesn't stop me from trying) I'm wondering if I'll still have fun with BS or if it will just be too frustrating if I can't master CE first.

Also, other than saving $1.50 or so by going with the bundle, is there any reason to get them as the bundle vs. separately (or vice versa)?

Lastly, thanks for all the info and encouragement. It's people like you that make CAG so much more than just a place for great gaming deals.

[quote name='n1c0']Was wondering, does Clazziquai have that pesky ISO folder scanning thing? Since I always have to do the remove memory trick for DJMP3 that I think stops the data install from being loaded on start up.[/QUOTE]

Does that have anything to do with custom firmware? I've only ever used the official firmware so I don't know if I can help ya there, friend. I should note, though, that you can disable the data install from loading in the Options menu; disabling that gives you the vanilla version of the game with long load times.

[quote name='n1c0']http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-bj-49-en-70-3as8-4-6.html

Black Square now $29.90. So, both game individually is now cheaper than the bundle.[/QUOTE]

You...are...awesome :applause:
I had given into the impulse to buy BS at the higher price (mainly because it was still below anywhere else I could find), but I saw your posting in time to cancel the first order and place a new order at the lower price.

After placing my original order for CE I had thought about cancelling it and getting the bundle, but it was too late because the order for CE had already been fulfilled. However, with your help I ended up getting the best overall deal. Looking forward to getting both games :D

Update: Actually, the bundle also dropped in price by $5 and is now $39.90 + $9.40 ship ($50.30 total) so it is still the better deal (by a very slight $0.30)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, it prevents the game from booting if it sees that you have any files that contains "iso". (Doesn't have to be anything ISO related, a simple picture name "bison.jpg" will get it to freak out)

Also, I followed what you said and managed to re-enable the data install after boot, thanks!

Now seriously considering getting Black Square as well at 30 bucks.

[quote name='DarkonJohn']Still looking at the bundle that includes BS or BS separate in addition to this (since I already placed my order for CE). One question...from everything I'm reading, it sounds like BS is quite a bit more difficult than CE. Since I generally suck at these types of games (doesn't stop me from trying) I'm wondering if I'll still have fun with BS or if it will just be too frustrating if I can't master CE first.[/QUOTE]

You know, it is, in general, more... challenging than Clazziquai Edition. However, one does eventually get better at it, especially since it has what a lot of DJMP fans hate: the auto-correct. This isn't the "Auto+2" Effector/Character you equip to give you two freebie misses. This is the always-on feature that lets you flub and button mash to a degree. This doesn't mean you can mash your way to victory, though! :D Really, I think auto-correct for this game actually makes it better since some of the patterns are downright evil. Eventually you'll get good enough to not even rely on it, much like how I was when I first played Fever (bought on day one, and my first DJMP game; saved my sanity on a business trip, but that's a tale for a different thread :D). I do wish the DJMP games that have auto-correct gave the option to turn it off since I'm much better at the series than when I first started, but the developer, as I understand it, had no choice in the matter (I think Konami was leaning on them due to the similarity with the game and Beatmania, but I don't have any hard evidence at the moment).

In the end, I think you shouldn't let the difficulty daunt you. There are still songs and patterns which are forgiving enough to start with, especially if you've practiced with Clazziquai and even DJMP3. Just give it time and I know you can do it! :D Seriously, if I can do it, just about anyone can (and that is saying a LOT, trust me :D).

[quote name='DarkonJohn']Also, other than saving $1.50 or so by going with the bundle, is there any reason to get them as the bundle vs. separately (or vice versa)?

Lastly, thanks for all the info and encouragement. It's people like you that make CAG so much more than just a place for great gaming deals.[/QUOTE]

I think someone posted above that BS is now cheaper alone, so buying these two separately is now cheaper than the official bundle. Originally, the bundle was priced almost like a two-for-one; individually both games were about the cost of the bundle itself, at least on the eBay market.

I would say that if you have the budget for it, pick up both right now. You will literally have months and years of enjoyment in your hands, especially with everything you can unlock between the two using Link Disc. In fact, I unlocked most of the songs in Black Square by using the Link Disc feature with CE; you can actually play the CE songs using the Black Square framework! I think for each song and pattern you play this way you unlock a BS song and pattern or other stuff. BS's Club/Mission mode got a bit tough for me about 3/4 of the way through, but playing using Link Disc made unlocking songs otherwise very, very doable. It was also a neat way of playing CE songs and patterns not found in the main game anyway (I think). You won't get playcounts for CE recorded (high playcounts unlock other bonuses like in all DJMP games), but the benefits outweigh this by a mile in my opinion.

Lastly, thank you kindly for those nice words. I also love when fans of a game mention why a deal is more than just a price bargain. In the end, I think CAG'ing is about enjoying this hobby at a lower cost than normal, especially when a game offers a substantial bang-for-the-buck! In the end, I'm just giving back to a site and community that have done the same for me :)

[quote name='NeoGutsman']You know, it is, in general, more... challenging than Clazziquai Edition. However, one does eventually get better at it, especially since it has what a lot of DJMP fans hate: the auto-correct. This isn't the "Auto+2" Effector/Character you equip to give you two freebie misses. This is the always-on feature that lets you flub and button mash to a degree. This doesn't mean you can mash your way to victory, though![/QUOTE]

Wait.. you mean CE has hard-wired auto correct like that in Fever?

Oh Man, I just got DJMP3... now this for cheap, too?!

I started out on Fever, DJMP3 is way easier and had better visuals, though I love the songs in Fever.

Is this version even easier than DJMP3?

[quote name='Asgardian']Wait.. you mean CE has hard-wired auto correct like that in Fever?[/QUOTE]

No, Black Square has always-on auto correct. Even though it's the harder game.

Clazziquai is practically perfect IMHO. :)

[quote name='adoru']No, Black Square has always-on auto correct. Even though it's the harder game.

Clazziquai is practically perfect IMHO. :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info! I really didn't care for the auto-correct in Fever. But, wow, BS must be pretty crazy if it's the hardest one even with auto-correct.

[quote name='DrAndonuts']Sorry to bump an old thread, but has anyone received their copy yet? Mine shipped on the 9th and still hasn't shown.[/QUOTE]

Glad I'm not the only one wondering about this, but I know international shipments can take a while. I also chose a box instead of an envelope for shipping, though I'm not sure if that will make any difference in shipping time.

Same here, chose the box as well. (which in hindsight was probably a bad idea, more room for it to move around as opposed to bubblemailer)

I ended getting my copy of Black Square today, which I'd ordered 2 weeks after Clazziquai. I guess maybe shipping was delayed with Clazziquai? Who knows.

bread's done
Back