DKC reviews:Professor Layton and the Curious Village (spoiler-free)

DarkKnightCecil

CAGiversary!
First off, let me say. I've been waiting for this game to come to America for quite a while. After beating it, I must say I am not disappointed.

Gameplay:
The gameplay is fairly simplistic. To move you hit one icon and the arrow pointing in the direction you want to move in. You tap an object if you want to interact with it (talk to a person, search around for hint coins, etc.). When you found a person or object that has a puzzle, it takes you directly to the puzzle where it'll show you the amount of Picarats you get if you beat the puzzle (Picarats are "points" you get for beating a puzzle. If you answer a riddle incorrectly, Picarats are taken away. After you beat the game, you unlock things based on the amount of Picarats you have. The more picarats a puzzle will award, the harder the puzzle is). The touch screen is spot on and doesn't feel at all gimicky, the whole time, everything felt completely natural.

Sound:
The music in this is pretty good. It is nothing amazing (ala Brawl) but it is definately not horrible (aka any movie game). The tunes have a certain "wacky" feel to them, even the darker songs. The voices in the anime cutscenes fit the character pretty well, and there was only one voice I really had a small problem with. The rest of them fit their character perfectly.

Graphics:
This game features really nice 2D anime-based sprites. The anime scenes look like they came from an 80's anime film and even the simple text conversation sprites look great. The background perfectly fits the "European" feel of the game.

Replayability:
This is the only problem I had with this game. While there are 120 puzzles, I beat the game with only 98 completed and it only took me about 11 and a half hours. Granted, once a week you can download a new puzzle. Some people may find no need to go back and replay it, however, I can't wait for my next playthrough.

Final thoughts:
This game is a great game for fans of Brian Age, Ace Attorney, or adventure games. The characters all have great personalities and I can't wait till the 2nd game (Professor Layton and Pandora's Box in Japan) comes out in America. Until then, I'll just have to suit myself with the DLC and several playthroughs.

Final score:
8.5/10

bread's done
Back